AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 176 57.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 83 27.30%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 8.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 2.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 2.30%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.33%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.33%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-05-18, 02:40   Link #81
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post

Off Topic a bit here.
I can't wait to see how Fate Zero will turn out. We already know how good Kajiura's music compliments Urobuchi's story, add in the high quality of ufotable and one great director in Aoki Ei, that series has the potential to equal if not surpass Madoka just based on the quality of the people behind it.

same here. it's definitely going to be urobuchi vs urobuchi. best anime clash i am about to see. albeit, having not seen F/Z, i'm absolutely cheering for madoka in here. =)
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 06:51   Link #82
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
I don't care that much for Fate franchise itself, so Madoka may win in that aspect, since it's carved itself in my heart. But I expect something awesome, since it's Urobuchi, Kajiura and pretty much the Kara no Kyoukai team (and KnK is in my top list, too).
I consider NOT reading the novel in hope experience once again the anticipation and suspence of each episode and unfolding story as it was with Madoka.
And for Kajiura... Releasing another high quality OST for Rekishi Hiwa Historia documentaries, a new solo album and providing music for TWO awesome shows (yes, I have at least that much anticipation for F/Z) definitely makes 2011 her year.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 22:17   Link #83
tera_ha

This was my first time watching a series in this genre only because my friend told me to and because it was so hyped. sure it was dark but easily watchable. It did not make me cry once or anything, heck i did not even think it was dark when compared to deadman wonderland which i am currently watching. last episode was kinda predictable except for that messed up stuff in the end which did not make much sense.
A good series but a little overrated.
Old 2011-05-19, 23:46   Link #84
sa547
*Author

^
It's true that hype put this show up on front.

The show wasn't made for those who cannot be moved emotionally or be mind-screwed, nor expecting a lot of action, fanservice, cuteness, laughs and excitement, nor expecting a happy-happy ending, nor for those who insist on perfection or coherence.
Old 2011-05-20, 00:32   Link #85
Paperplane
Guy on the Couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
^
It's true that hype put this show up on front.

The show wasn't made for those who cannot be moved emotionally or be mind-screwed, nor expecting a lot of action, fanservice, cuteness, laughs and excitement, nor expecting a happy-happy ending, nor for those who insist on perfection or coherence.
I was one of the very latecomers to this series and I decided to watch it out of all the big fuss and hype about it. At first, I did sort of knock it away as just another generic Mahou Shoujo series in high definition but I gave it a chance, decided to see what's so great about it and it's a lot better than I expected. I think it was when the series got darker along with the abstract presentation of all that really got to me thinking this isn't your ordinary mahou shoujo series and as such, I really liked it in the end.

What do you know, life sure is full of surprises...
Paperplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 00:33   Link #86
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tera_ha View Post
This was my first time watching a series in this genre only because my friend told me to and because it was so hyped. sure it was dark but easily watchable. It did not make me cry once or anything, heck i did not even think it was dark when compared to deadman wonderland which i am currently watching. last episode was kinda predictable except for that messed up stuff in the end which did not make much sense.
A good series but a little overrated.
Hard for the series to not be a bit overrated with all the hype it got; no denying that it's a great series, but it is all but doomed to be overrated. That said, the series failed to make me cry (though Mami's death made me tear up a bit <_<) and I still enjoyed it just fine. I too was a bit disappointed that it wasn't quite as dark as I went in assuming it would be, but it was still a breath of fresh air as far as anime goes.

I suppose this all boils down to whether we're looking at the glass half empty or half full.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 02:16   Link #87
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperplane View Post
I was one of the very latecomers to this series and I decided to watch it out of all the big fuss and hype about it. At first, I did sort of knock it away as just another generic Mahou Shoujo series in high definition but I gave it a chance, decided to see what's so great about it and it's a lot better than I expected. I think it was when the series got darker along with the abstract presentation of all that really got to me thinking this isn't your ordinary mahou shoujo series and as such, I really liked it in the end.

What do you know, life sure is full of surprises...
One thing's for sure: IMHO this show makes no bones in not trying to spoon-feed its viewers; it forces some people to think of possibilities and of the consequences of an action.
Old 2011-05-20, 11:29   Link #88
tera_ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
Hard for the series to not be a bit overrated with all the hype it got; no denying that it's a great series, but it is all but doomed to be overrated. That said, the series failed to make me cry (though Mami's death made me tear up a bit <_<) and I still enjoyed it just fine. I too was a bit disappointed that it wasn't quite as dark as I went in assuming it would be, but it was still a breath of fresh air as far as anime goes.

I suppose this all boils down to whether we're looking at the glass half empty or half full.
i think part of the reason i did not have much time to think or speculate was because i watched 13 episodes in few hours

anyways i did not find it too dark either. even steins gate feels darker than this
Old 2011-05-20, 11:59   Link #89
Akashin

This was darker than Steins Gate currently is, but Steins Gate definitely feels like it could become darker in the end. And yeah, I didn't have much time to speculate either; I watched the first ten episodes in one sitting, then waited a month for the last two. Still, they're two completely different genres, and I'm not about to use Steins Gate as a measuring stick for a Magical Girl anime. As far as Magical Girl anime goes this was pretty damn dark, and still a breath of fresh air regardless. I will insist upon that much.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 05:37   Link #90
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

Just finished watching this series, it was A LOT better then what I had anticipated.
Otaku Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 06:26   Link #91
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by tera_ha View Post
i think part of the reason i did not have much time to think or speculate was because i watched 13 episodes in few hours

anyways i did not find it too dark either. even steins gate feels darker than this
you need to rewatch it sometime.... lol... I just rewatched some episode and still can find out many things

and also maybe you watched it too fast.... You will never imagine how long we should wait for ep 11 and ep 12 release..... XD
maybe read some of animesuki member's reviews are one of many things that make me love this show

They achieved everything in just 12 episode (Code Geass, Clannad, and Gundam SEED need more than 24 episodes). Angel Beats can't achieve it -----> just my opinion... don't need to think about it too much.... lol
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 09:01   Link #92
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
Angel Beats can't achieve it ----->
(offtop) I heard Angel Beats was intended to be a two-cour anime. The director was NOT amused when the producers decided to cut it down and spray the rest of the story over related merchandise.
Old 2011-05-31, 03:34   Link #93
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
(offtop) I heard Angel Beats was intended to be a two-cour anime. The director was NOT amused when the producers decided to cut it down and spray the rest of the story over related merchandise.
lol... really??
thanks for the information....

aaahhh.... I wonder how long I should wait until I can find another awesome anime like this..... XD
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 15:31   Link #94
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
It made me cry (normally I don't) and the other one that made me cry was CLANNAD [After Story].
Old 2011-06-01, 04:53   Link #95
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
This is one of the reasons why I have come to HATE the spread of franchises over multiple medias (yeah, that other magical girl show comes in mind).
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 05:09   Link #96
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
(yeah, that other magical girl show comes in mind).
The StrikerS manga was a particular waste.
At least PMMM managed to tie up the main plotline without relying on other media. After that, they're actually welcome to add up details.
Old 2011-06-01, 18:17   Link #97
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
In Nanoha's defense, the first 2 seasons did fairly well in 13 episodes, though A's is the better example by far. (Sure, they are the same franchise, but it's possible to watch them standalone). And they didn't require outside material at all.

In fact, I used to look at A's as how to do a 13 episode series, and it's one of the few sequels which doesn't require prior knowledge to work. (It helps of course)

Post-As.... yea. I get what you guys mean.

But please don't use Angel Beats as standard for one cour anime. Serial experiments lain and Paranoia agent would be better measuring sticks. Or maybe even Sola.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 00:11   Link #98
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ok guys, this is the Madoka Series thread not Fate/Zero or Nanoha's, its ok to compare series but this page of posts is pretty off topic. Let's get back on track shall we.

Good thing I marathoned this series when it was done

First of all I almost didn't even watch this since well 1) Magical girl aint really my thang even with SHAFT as the studio 2) Sometimes so much attention to one series you can get overwhelmed and not want to watch it but I was told by several people to see it so I caved and did.

Just some general thoughts on a few things...

Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
Overall I did like the story though I felt the writers didn't need to throw in some of the plot devices they did. First 2 epis were run of the mill, actually I debated continuing the series after epi 1 since I didnt find any of the characters that interesting. Homaru caught my attention since basically I wanted to know why she had such hatred towards QB, that was my whole reasoning for sticking with the show til the end. Epi 2...again nothing big. Epi 3. Ok you have my attention. Did not see that coming and though I hate saying this, if Mami hadn't have died I would have probably dropped it after epi 3. That was a good plot twist, I totally didn't see it coming.
Sayaka's "arc" was entertaining though Madoka herself was actually getting on my nerves quite a lot through out the entire series. For Sayaka you knew what her wish was gonna be the minute she was shown with Kyosuke and also that threw up a huge death flag. What bothered me the most about Sayaka's arc was Hitomi. I truly didnt feel she was needed as a plot device espc after the epi (6 I think? maybe 5) where Madoka (imho stupid move) throws Sayaka's Soul Gem off the bridge. QB right there explains to them the point of the Soul Gem. Maybe I'm too used to Sailor Moon and Star Seeds but I wasn't surprised at all that those gems continued their souls, look at the name! But to a bunch of young girls I'm sure it was shocking and thats what I had to keep telling myself. Anyways Sayaka's feeling about not being able to kiss Kyosuke with "that body" as she put it I felt was enough of a emotion for her to start down her road of no return without throwing Hitomi in for a bad love triangle. She wasn't needed espc after she was never shown talking about Kyosuke, visiting him or even knowing he existed til he came back. Sayaka's fall from Magical girl was imminent, Hitomi was a badly written plot device that made Sayaka's arc not as emotional charged as it could have been.
Epi 10 was a good rebound for me. Homaru was my fave girl and I'm a sucker for backstory. Seeing her as the reason this all kinda started was good though it wasn't perfect. 11 and 12 took away the buzz I had from epi 10. Honestly I didnt like the ending. The whole darn reason Homaru did this was so Madoka wouldnt become a witch, the promise she made to her friend over and over. So what does Madoka do...makes a contract, fights the witches, restores the girls so they dont become witches and erases herself from existence....once again leaving Homaru. Ok what? I know the ending scene with Madoka and Homaru was suppose to be touching but I was mad as all hell watching Madoka tell her about Homaru being her best friend and yet once again leaves her. Did she forget saving Madoka was Homaru's only intent this entire time? And what about her parents? Sorry not buying it Madoka. Next to Sakura, Madoka was my least fave character of this whole series. Half the time I wanted someone to smack her.

I got off on a tangent there...

Thoughts about the animation quality.

This was an aspect of the series that I really loved. Not really how the girls were drawn, I didn't like the shadow line on their faces but the witches, the mazes, Sakura's puppet show, classic SHAFT animation. Wonderfully done. Homaru's over dramatic hair flips got to be a bit redundant but kinda funny as well. But the black and white scene on the train with Sayaka was beautifully done as well as Homaru's picture room.

Characters
Briefly touched on characters in my first paragraph. As stated Madoka and Sakura were my least fave characters. Madoka just....ugh I didnt like her. When she's telling Sayaka that she and Sakura could get along if they just talked I was like...oh god not this in anime again. Sakura was just darn annoying. She went from enemy to friend way darn fast, too fast. Homaru I like basically cuz I wanted to know why she didnt want the girls to form a contract and what she had against QB. Mami was ok, a bit boring though. Sayaka had the most potential but again with the death flag waved way back when I was basically counting down til she died. I did like in the end how she still died, I mean yes Madoka saved her from being a witch but for once the dead stay dead So who's left you might ask. QB. Yes I liked QB. I dont view him/it/thing as good or bad. I don't. I view him as a cross btwn a sleazy used car salesmen and a Vulcan really. He needed recruits for his job. Obviously you're not gonna tell the whole truth about something like that. Should he have? Probably. But did any of the girls ever ask? Nope. QB even states that himself. Also Homaru had been telling them since epi 1 forming a contract with him was a bad idea. Even though both girls did think it over, in the end they both disreguarded her warning. Madoka even after she knew QB's secret. So basically he did his job right, he got the most powerful magical girl ever. I cant hate someone like that. His constant not understanding of human ways made me think of the Vulcan in him.

This was a very interesting anime for me to watch, I didnt love it but I didnt hate it. It had great moments and it had bad moments. Storyline was strong in some cases and weak in others. Oh and the first several epis had way too much talking it in...

I cant give this series anything over an 8 cuz of the bad plot devices thrown in and the personality of most of the girls, but I can't give it less then a 6 since it was entertaining, I mean I watch all 12 epis in 2 days. It had some great moments (epi 3 and 10) but the ending left something to be desired. I guess I'll give it a strong 7.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 00:35   Link #99
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
The whole darn reason Homaru did this was so Madoka wouldnt become a witch, the promise she made to her friend over and over.

Rewatch episode 10 and pay close attention,that is not what the promise was about,I'll repost what I said after episode 10 aired

Quote:
After rewatching the episode I noticed that Madoka doesn't ask Homura to prevent her from being a magical girl but from being tricked by QB,there's a difference.

With all she knows in this timeline Madoka can't be tricked by QB so in a way Homura has already done her job,Madoka knows what she would be getting into by becoming a magical girl so if she decides to become one she wouldn't be tricked into it.
Episode 11 would later on insist on this,notably with Madoka's mom asking her "are you sure you're not being tricked by someone?" and Madoka replying that she was sure.
Old 2011-06-02, 05:29   Link #100
Snork
Twilight lander

Indeed, it was the first time Madoka had a FULL picture of the system, and used it damn well.
As to being so mean as to leave Homura again... She didn't have a choice. What she did to the world and herself through her wish was not a cop-out, but the only possible way of solving the problem on the local and general scales. And her current status, godlike as it may look, is in reality far from beneficial. But she accepted it, for the sake of being able to do what she wants to do.
Seriously, though, it looks like Kyuubey's miscalculation in more ways than one. Did he ever consider the possibility of Gretchen destroying the whole universe? That would devalue any amount of energy she could produce, and wipe out all the civilizations including Incubators. Nice job, Kyuubey, be thankful that Madoka managed to save your butt among other things.

Tags
madoka magica