AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-05-04, 18:04   Link #21
Green²
It's bacon!

User avatars can be generally broken down to four categories:

Action

Comedy

Sadness

Happiness ... aka, characters you'd like to fuck

For example, with my current Haruhi, what at first appeared to be a fad, I try to mold it into something different. That, in this case, instead of the general Happiness theme, I attempt to give it the action/comedy theme,.. which by in this case, the insanity displayed, there in effect, places all other Haruhi avatars to within like category. -That category previously being in the greatest percentage, the happiness category.

Now some would say that there should be a fifth category. That being, authority. Subtle as it is however, this usually relates to something seen such as my current avatar, of the overall visual relation of the universal jack-off sign. (See, I'm doing it now.) But with that however, can end up being broken down to the Action/Comedy categories. Yet, one would say, "But couldn't that also be broken down to the Happiness category?" ...which in this case, does it check back to the authority level? Which is then they say "Gotcha ya." ...and I do the universal jack-off sign, which now places all Haruhi avatars into the first ever recognized category of Authority.

Thus, Authority however in this special case, appears to be limited solely to Haruhi. But for every other avatar fad, mostly just Happiness.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 18:27   Link #22
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I've had and seen some horror avatars.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 18:38   Link #23
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Haruhi avatars and sigs are the biggest fad I've seen since I joined this site over a year and a half ago...Personally if i saw more than 1 person with my avy I'd have to scrap it immediatley because of my "against the grain" nature...She's a cute little anime character though, but why all the hype?
Old 2006-05-04, 18:44   Link #24
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
I've had and seen some horror avatars.
Acton/Sadness perhaps, ... .. with probable exception to the Bleach Ichigo avatars. -That if under the Happiness category, resulting with me taking a Brillo pad to my eyes.
Old 2006-05-04, 18:47   Link #25
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green²
User avatars can be generally broken down to four categories:

Then there are these.

That makes five! Five kinds of Avatars! ah ah ah!
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 18:47   Link #26
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Haruhi avatars and sigs are the biggest fad I've seen since I joined this site over a year and a half ago...Personally if i saw more than 1 person with my avy I'd have to scrap it immediatley because of my "against the grain" nature...She's a cute little anime character though, but why all the hype?
Glad to know that no one wishes to use the original art designs for Rena then! This one is mine to keep for about two years, like how I was with my first avatar of Arcueid.

And as to another poster above...well, in many ways my avatar is horror.

Speaking of which, the majority of fans for Haruhi are in fact, otakus who are simply delighted at the high sakuga quality of the show. Well, I can't say much as I did love the novels to begin with, but it is rather hard for me to understand; what made this anime "click" with anime viewers outside of Japan? Is it the vast number of youtube videos? Is it the dance scene at the end? Or just the way Kyo-Ani did the brave thing of kicking off the first episode with a shitty-student video that made you go "what the fuck?" Perhaps its a whole combination of those. But, sadly Haruhi will last only 13/14 episodes. It may go out like AIR and Full Metal Panic (where some talk is still active being the same Kyo-Ani production). Of course, there is still the slim possibility of the ED theme "Harehare Yukai" topping the charts at Oricon, which may open a pandora's box. I have yet to see that happen.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 18:50   Link #27
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Glad to know that no one wishes to use the original art designs for Rena then!
I've actually ended up using them on some forums, maybe i shall on animesuki forums. ^^;
Old 2006-05-04, 18:53   Link #28
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Clue me in - I don't understand how that's horror...
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 19:17   Link #29
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Glad to know that no one wishes to use the original art designs for Rena then! This one is mine to keep for about two years, like how I was with my first avatar of Arcueid.

Speaking of which, the majority of fans for Haruhi are in fact, otakus who are simply delighted at the high sakuga quality of the show. Well, I can't say much as I did love the novels to begin with, but it is rather hard for me to understand; what made this anime "click" with anime viewers outside of Japan? Is it the vast number of youtube videos? Is it the dance scene at the end? Or just the way Kyo-Ani did the brave thing of kicking off the first episode with a shitty-student video that made you go "what the fuck?" Perhaps its a whole combination of those. But, sadly Haruhi will last only 13/14 episodes. It may go out like AIR and Full Metal Panic (where some talk is still active being the same Kyo-Ani production). Of course, there is still the slim possibility of the ED theme "Harehare Yukai" topping the charts at Oricon, which may open a pandora's box. I have yet to see that happen.
For me, the science fiction bits of the show draws me to it. Also I'm a 'dreamer', I think kyon spoke the hearts of many other dreamers like me.

For more personal reasons, its because I actually met someone who behaves like haruhi in my younger days.

Back to topic, I think the biggest trend in this forum is that everyone types their sentences 'correctly'. Like starting with capital letters, using commas, fullstops and such. I don't do this on other forums.

ive always been typing like this in all other forums, i dont use capitals and i dont use inverted commas.

Not sure why, but most probably due peer pressure, did I try to type correctly here.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 19:35   Link #30
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Bomb
Clue me in - I don't understand how that's horror...
It's from a !@#$@#$^!*'ing creepy game. That's now been turned into an anime.

I can understand how Suzumiya Haruhi is so popular. But I can't understand why Higurashi no Naku Koroni isn't almost as popular.
Old 2006-05-04, 19:39   Link #31
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
But! Not a fad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
I've actually ended up using them on some forums, maybe i shall on animesuki forums. ^^;
...yet.

Muwhahaha [Evil-Smiley]
Old 2006-05-04, 19:46   Link #32
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
But I can't understand why Higurashi no Naku Koroni isn't almost as popular.
Mainly 'cause not everyones open to the style that is Higurashi.
Old 2006-05-04, 19:54   Link #33
rooboy
Umeboshi!

But everyone should be.

j/k

EDIT: You forgot the *SHUDDER* fanclub fad. May it never come back around again.
Old 2006-05-05, 01:24   Link #34
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Those Shuffle! fanclubs were fun and funny, esp. during voting time. Happily nothing like that happened in the F/sn sub-forum.

So, was Kanon as popular as KgNE?
Old 2006-05-05, 01:42   Link #35
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Fanclubs like that will never be allowed to happen again.

And Kanon was never as popular as KgNE

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 01:47   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ga... let me offer NoSanninWa extra clips of ammunition... talk about noise-to-signal issues.... never again.
Old 2006-05-05, 02:15   Link #37
wao
OK.

Quote:
Well, I can't say much as I did love the novels to begin with, but it is rather hard for me to understand; what made this anime "click" with anime viewers outside of Japan? Is it the vast number of youtube videos? Is it the dance scene at the end? Or just the way Kyo-Ani did the brave thing of kicking off the first episode with a shitty-student video that made you go "what the fuck?" Perhaps its a whole combination of those. But, sadly Haruhi will last only 13/14 episodes. It may go out like AIR and Full Metal Panic (where some talk is still active being the same Kyo-Ani production). Of course, there is still the slim possibility of the ED theme "Harehare Yukai" topping the charts at Oricon, which may open a pandora's box. I have yet to see that happen.
I think
A. KyoAni is becoming a recognizable studio among intermediate otakus (the ones who know a fair bit but aren't really really hardcore), due to the huuuge buzz around AIR and FMP. Especially FMP which was watched by a fair amoun of people. So people will remember "hm, the studio that did those awesome anime will be doing this..."

B. Very eye-catching visuals, and the wide spread of them. The existing group of fanboys propogate the series by putting them in sigs, avatars, on imageboards and blogs. To most people casually browsing through sites, these images catch their attention (especially if they're smoothly-animated GIFs) and most of them can't help but want to know what this show is. Especially if they see it very frequently.
I think those single images everywhere have more impact than Youtube for now.
Speaking of Youtube and fads, it seems to have caught on very well with the Japanese - shouldn't it be about time that the lawsuit-loving companies catch on to it as well? Or maybe that's just America.

C. Blogs.

And if it's about continuing to watch the show rather than becoming aware of it and trying it out, then

D. Haruhi. I think a lot of people are attracted to her character design and her attitude. Especially her independent and confident nature.

E. The animation (duh), or rather, the production values in general.

F. The humour - it's not too difficult for most people and seems to be enjoyable enough for the audience in general.

This may not be a fad, but I think lately there has been a general trend towards finding out more about anime and reactions from primary sources (i.e. Japanese magazines, Japanese blogs, Japanese imageboards/messageboards) especially among the growing community of bishoujo-game/erogame lovers. At least that's what it seems like to me.
Old 2006-05-05, 08:22   Link #38
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
what made this anime "click" with anime viewers outside of Japan? Is it the dance scene at the end?
That's exactly what did it for me.
Bright colourful animation is another plus.
Look, I even got one of those ultra cool haruhi avatars that everyone is wearing.
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 09:03   Link #39
DaFool
Resident devil

Lol Haruhi the Dictator

anyways, Haruhi to me was another moe anime, so even without the hype I would have watched it anyway. And as John Opplinger (animenation) once said, moe anime is among the most Japanese as anime can get, so naturally if you're into that you'd be wanting to be close to the source. Although I haven't gotten to reading 2ch yet.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 09:41   Link #40
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Haruhi is a goddamn sarcastic series. I don't see that often, which is why I love it so damn much.

Anyway, this thread is basically asking what clicks a fanboy. It's always either:
1. romantic harem
2. Laugh Out Loud comedy
3. Mecha/action