AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-03, 02:43   Link #6341
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I've used handheld GPS for orienteering/adventure racing before. nvm 3 meters. they get their signal from satellites and all sorts of crap screws with them so probably unless you're using some military grade hardware you'd be lucky to get 10m accuracy. The idea of a GPS has always been "it'll get you there-ish then you can have a look around." Either that or our school is cheap and using some seriously outdated tech..
The receiver you use does seem to matter. One of my friends tried using his iPhone for turn by turn directions while driving and we found we needed to check that we were at the right street before taking a suggested turn because it could be calling streets as a full block too early. That's not a problem I've ever encountered with my mom's Garmin unit or the GPS in a friend's Infiniti G37.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-03-03, 05:05   Link #6342
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its more important when you're using maps, GPS, and other systems that rely on pinpoint accuracy. Rather like relativity is only important at the extremes... a few inches off because of time measurement can mean catastrophe in certain activities.
I was thinking about that at only very high speeds, like a few hundred metres per second to really have an effect because the ratio of error is to an actual second is 6.8 : 1,000,000.

Wouldn't exactly affect most vehicles, but airplanes or spacecraft, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The receiver you use does seem to matter. One of my friends tried using his iPhone for turn by turn directions while driving and we found we needed to check that we were at the right street before taking a suggested turn because it could be calling streets as a full block too early. That's not a problem I've ever encountered with my mom's Garmin unit or the GPS in a friend's Infiniti G37.
Maybe it has got to do with regional or localisation. I live on a relatively small island, and my friend's PSP GPS works rather accurately.

EDIT :

Something caught my eye and reminded me of middle school....

Blair Retallick, 8, hit by car in Townsville while fleeing bully

Quote:
A YOUNG boy has suffered terrible injuries while fleeing a bully who threatened to kill him and his school did nothing to prevent it, his mother says.

Eight-year-old Blair Retallick is in intensive care after fleeing a tormentor on a school bus and running into the path of a four-wheel drive outside a Townsville school on Monday.

Patricia Retallick said her son was the target of a long-running campaign by school bullies and had been kicked, spat on, bitten, punched and verbally abused.

But nothing was done despite her many complaints to Bohlevale State School and the bus company, she said.

Blair remains in the Townsville Hospital with injuries including a fractured skull, a bruise to his brain, and a lacerated liver.

Mrs Retallick said Blair and her other children, including a daughter aged five, had been targeted by bullies on the school bus for some time.

She said her approaches to the school achieved nothing, nor did her complaints to the bus company running the school service.

"He was having an altercation with a child on the bus and it flowed out as the bus stopped," she told the ABC.

"He was running as the boy was saying to him 'I'm going to kill you' and he ran straight into the path of a car as he was running away from the boy."

She said witnesses, including other children on the bus, had reported the tormentor's kill threat, and said kids from other families had also been bullied on the bus but nothing had been done.

"It shouldn't have happened. It should have been dealt with," Mrs Retallick said.

"The majority of families on that bus have had issues with those kids on that bus."

Mrs Retallick said she raised the bullying issue with the school as recently as Monday morning, just before her son was injured.

The incident comes just a week after the Queensland Government said it would create the a new alliance to tackle violence in schools.

The announcement came after a government report found schools were not properly checking if their anti-bullying programs were working.

In a statement, Education Queensland's North Queensland region director Mike Ludwig said it was premature to speculate on the cause of the accident.

Counselling had been offered to the family, he said.

Mrs Retallick said she wanted action, including better systems to report bullying.

"There needs to be changes with the education department on how we can report these things," she said.

She said Blair could be in hospital for up to a month.

"It's unknown at the moment. Some of his injuries are so extensive that anything could happen and it could change in the blink of an eye," she said.

Monday was supposed to have been the last day her children caught the bus to school. The family was planning to move to New South Wales and the ongoing bullying had been a factor in the decision to move, Mrs Retallick said.
I don't know what to say. The teachers' and principal's idea of self-preservation of their own career and health supersedes that of the child, because that kid isn't theirs? This shouldn't be a normalcy, yet Education Ministries often do nothing with regards to issues of silent abuse.

SECOND EDIT :

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-03-03 at 08:54.
Old 2010-03-03, 09:26   Link #6343
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
heh... I'd actually forgotten about that "3 meter" nonsense for civilian use. DO they still do that anymore?
Well in my Earth Science Faculty we typically use high end commercial receivers during our field work, and we still have to take into account the 3+ meter margin error.

When we need more precise coordinates, we generally use other surveying techniques, provided that we have a well defined referential.

Maybe access to the future Galileo system will change this.
Old 2010-03-03, 10:51   Link #6344
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Hurt Locker producer barred from Oscars
Well that was a dumb thing to do. Looks like any chance for his movie to win an Oscar are kinda slim.
Old 2010-03-03, 11:05   Link #6345
jsieczkar

The majority of the voters had voted before the email was sent out, but those that didn't I doubt will vote for it now, just for appearance sake. The voters will not want to seem like the voted for it do to the email, so even if they did like it they may have voted for a different film.
Old 2010-03-03, 21:33   Link #6346
Tiberium Wolf

Just wondering

Jan -> Haiti
Feb -> Chile
Mar -> Taiwan

About Taiwan earthquake it was kinda weak. Anyway we are still in the beginning of March. Maybe this year 1 major earthquake per month?
Old 2010-03-03, 21:52   Link #6347
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Some Cablevision vs ABC drama... right before the Oscars... which ABC is planning to pull the plug on the WABC-7 Broadcast.

Quote:
Disney plays bully in dispute, says Cablevision
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Cablevision Systems Corp Chief Executive Jim Dolan blasted Walt Disney Co's "bullying" threat to pull ABC from its cable systems over a contract dispute, calling the move senseless and one that invites questions from U.S. regulators.

In his first public remarks about the intensifying fight, Dolan said, "Fundamental to this issue right now is our subscribers, our customers, should not have to pay for something others are getting for free."

Dolan said discussions between the two sides only began in earnest several weeks ago, disputing Disney's statement that little progress has been made during some two years of talks.

"The idea that they are going to pull their signal .... I don't think that that's good business. I think that it invites scrutiny from the governmental side and, to be honest, I don't really understand it because we're negotiating," Dolan said on Tuesday at a Morgan Stanley conference in San Francisco.

"I would have thought they would have taken a more diplomatic stance," he added.

Dolan's comments come in response Disney's announcement that ABC has begun running on-air messages to Cablevision subscribers warning them they may no longer have access to the network from Sunday, March 7.

Cablevision on Monday said ABC was threatening to remove the network unless Cablevision and its customers pay $40 million in new fees for programing that it offers for free.

A source familiar with the matter on Tuesday said the $40 million was an overstatement by Cablevision, and that negotiations between the two companies were ongoing.

ABC's shows include "Lost," "Grey's Anatomy" and "Desperate Housewives" as well as news programs like "Good Morning America." ABC is also carrying the Academy Awards on Sunday, often one of the most highly rated TV programs of the year.

The Disney-Cablevision dispute follows several other high-profile contract battles between broadcasters and cable providers. Both sides are showing far more concern about fees -- partly due to the bad economy -- and a willingness to take extreme measures to make the point.

At the heart of the issue is a disagreement over how much a broadcast network should be paid by a cable distributor to deliver free-to-air programs to their subscribers.

Fox, owned by News Corp, and Time Warner Cable Inc, which had similarly disagreed over how much the cable service provider should pay for the right to carry the network, reached a deal on January 1 to avoid a blackout after months of negotiations.
Source
I wonder if the FCC will step in this matter... they should since it's not fair for everyone else getting the channel while the cable subscribers don't... especially if one can get the station over the air.

In the end, it's corporate greed at it's finest...
Old 2010-03-03, 22:00   Link #6348
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post

Some Cablevision vs ABC drama... right before the Oscars... which ABC is planning to pull the plug on the WABC-7 Broadcast.

I wonder if the FCC will step in this matter... they should since it's not fair for everyone else getting the channel while the cable subscribers don't... especially if one can get the station over the air.

In the end, it's corporate greed at it's finest...
This almost happened with a few smaller channels with another NY cable company, (Time warner) although it either didn't happen or it was delayed. Same scenario, money. This time, it's a major channel.
Old 2010-03-03, 22:05   Link #6349
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
This almost happened with a few smaller channels with another NY cable company, (Time warner) although it either didn't happen or it was delayed. Same scenario, money. This time, it's a major channel.
Well I guess... but I'm pretty much stuck. The area I live in area that have no FiOS and OTA reception is crap. Also, there is no way we are switching back to Dish, because they ripped us off in the past and we are still disputing over the extra charges that not supposed to be on the bill.

Doesn't Disney have enough money, but they keep wanting more... and the cable bill raises because they keep jacking up these fees. A main reason I'm not so fond of corporate media...I seriously hope the FCC will come in and resolve this dispute before it does any damage or have it resolved before Sunday. I will be surprised how many people will be devastated if they can't see the Oscars on Sunday and have Cablevision.

I bet Disney is already swimming in that money like Scrooge Mcduck in his bank vaults from cable companies paying for ABC stations like ESPN.
Old 2010-03-04, 00:59   Link #6350
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

* Porsche 918 Spyder (C) 78 MPG

- 62 mph in less than 3.2 s

- Top Speed of 198 mph
Old 2010-03-04, 01:02   Link #6351
mg1942

Will Apple's Patents Banish HTC Phones?

Weighing the potential outcomes of Apple's patent infringement lawsuit against HTC, several IP and patent lawyers say HTC's phones could be barred from the United States.....
Old 2010-03-04, 01:17   Link #6352
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Will Apple's Patents Banish HTC Phones?

Weighing the potential outcomes of Apple's patent infringement lawsuit against HTC, several IP and patent lawyers say HTC's phones could be barred from the United States.....
And innovation came to a halt because every idea was patented... sorry but the meaning and scope of patent law is rapidly moving towards total gridlock and the annihilation of competition.

I can't roll my eyes any harder lately....
Old 2010-03-04, 01:20   Link #6353
iLney

USPS is in the red.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/USPS-t...52368.html?x=0

Oh shoot, I really like their Priority Mail: cheap, never failed, always arrived withing 2 days (never 3 for me) despite the horrid tracking system.

But USPS is run by the GOV so what the heck....
Old 2010-03-04, 01:30   Link #6354
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post

Oh shoot, I really like their Priority Mail: cheap, never failed, always arrived withing 2 days (never 3 for me) despite the horrid tracking system.
That's EXTRA work for the employees and they don't like to do it.
Old 2010-03-04, 01:54   Link #6355
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Their competitors (UPS and FedEx) don't normally deliver on weekends (or charge special) so dropping Saturday would make the USPS more competitive.

They'd also like to close "loss centers" .... so in trying to be competitive, low volume areas (usually rural) lose decent access. So the tension between "is it a business" or "is it an essential service" continues.
Old 2010-03-04, 02:20   Link #6356
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

'Son of Hamas' who spied for Israel
Old 2010-03-04, 02:43   Link #6357
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post

- 62 mph in less than 3.2 s

- Top Speed of 198 mph

hmmmm just as fast as the 959 (on paper)... but just as revolutionary
Old 2010-03-04, 03:28   Link #6358
LusterFlare
Lost.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/wo.../05taiwan.html

Earthquake of 6.4 hits Taiwan. Just seems like there have been many quakes recently. Hope everyone is okay.
Old 2010-03-04, 03:33   Link #6359
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/wo.../05taiwan.html

Earthquake of 6.4 hits Taiwan. Just seems like there have been many quakes recently. Hope everyone is okay.
Too many earthquakes. Something fishy is happening. It's time to call Horatio!

I jest. I do hope everyone is doing ok there as well. There aren't that many reported injuries, much less deaths, and the worst thing it did was cause a fire in a factory. Nothing major at least.

EDIT: I should change the text in my sig (it means "Judgement of the Sea") as it's probably what's bringing bad luck to those places
Old 2010-03-04, 04:27   Link #6360
mg1942

Attorney Comments on Obscene Manga Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A. Chase
In defense of Chris Handley, given his choices, I suppose all I can do is ask: What would you have done?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international