AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-30, 14:14   Link #61
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Yes they pick up the pace, yes they add a bunch of new songs, and there is a story. Have patience, not every anime in existence sky-rockets into the story and plot as soon as it starts. >.>
Old 2006-10-30, 14:33   Link #62
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Yes, it gets better. You have to put up with that one song for a bit, but the payoff is great once they get to the real plot. Episode 24-28 are some of the best. Mikomoto has said that this series was the ultimate direction he wanted to take the original Macorss series.

Heibi
Central Anime

It is a good thing someone stop him then. The original Macross is a classic and probably one the 5 anime on my list.
Old 2006-10-30, 17:57   Link #63
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Oh my haruhi...Ressurection 150hp+/50mg!!

meh, better late then never, I suppose.

Its a good series, it does get better, and the ending...is...literally ROCKING EPIC!!

And don't forget Mcross 7 Dynamite and Encore side stories. all good. trust me the music is grea,t and once you seen the cool action scene, everytime you play those songs you will be reminded of that epic battle/dance!

FIIIIRREEE BOOOOMMMMEEEERRR!!

Old 2006-10-30, 18:50   Link #64
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I'd stick with the series. It gets much better, and actually has one of my favourite anime endings. I was pretty skeptical at first, and dissapointed with the episodic, formulaic early episodes, but somewhere around 12 episodes in it begins to get really good. Once City 7 gets seperated from the fleet, it really hits its stride, and the last half of the series is pretty fantastic.

Actually, after having finished the entire series, I found myself going back and enjoying those earlier episodes a lot more. These days, I'm more likely to pop in an episode of Macross 7 than SDF (though Do You Remember Love? is still my favourite piece of the Macross franchise).

Dynamite 7 I found to be even better than the tv series, though shorter and with not nearly as much character and story developement. It does cut out a lot of the things I disliked about the tv series, such as the garish costumes, mecha, and alien designs. I dislike the VF-19 Kai Basara flies in the tv series, but I absolutely adore the VF-19P that shows up in Dynamite.
Old 2006-10-30, 19:05   Link #65
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd View Post
Dynamite 7 I found to be even better than the tv series, though shorter and with not nearly as much character and story developement. It does cut out a lot of the things I disliked about the tv series, such as the garish costumes, mecha, and alien designs. I dislike the VF-19 Kai Basara flies in the tv series, but I absolutely adore the VF-19P that shows up in Dynamite.
yeah, i have to agree about those points, its also the pink explosions...but ...meh.

Vf19p is definately the better, the thing about the series is that to some degree, it doesn't take itself too serious (90's standards anyway)

oh, omedentou on you marriage, Radd! Now get out of here you traitor!

*kicks him out the Bachalor Campus*

Old 2006-10-30, 19:15   Link #66
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Definitely agree about the series not taking itself too seriously, a lot of anime (especially mecha anime) seemed to lose that since Evangelion appeared on the scene. Even the original SDF has a LOT of light hearted moments and silly story elements. Gao Gai Gar is another good, light hearted, mecha anime.

And thanks! I'm still buzzed about it. I'll try not to let the door hit me on the way out!
Old 2006-10-31, 00:42   Link #67
ichijou

thanks everyone, i'll stick with the show.
ichijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 02:16   Link #68
vision33r
Oldskool Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichijou View Post
i am a big fan of sdf macross, and recently started watching macross 7, and i have to admit i've not been very thrilled by it thus far. compared to sdf macross the story moves along at a sluggish rate, and the second half of each episode so far has been very saturday morning cartoon formulaic; station falls under attack, basara hop's out into space to sing his song, and the enemy then retreats before he can finish, this has happened every episode so far. i was wondering if the show does pick up the pace, maybe even add a new song, or is this pretty much it for the whole run?
That's the idea of the creator. They want to get away from the norm get annoyed by Basara's personality. Even the char Gamlin is annoyed even angry at Basara's singing. The creator wants people to think of Basara as this rebellious youth, the anime is supposed to appeal to 11-15 yr olds.

But later you'll realized that his determination ends up being the difference. There are no weaponry in the Macross fleet that can destroy the Protodevlins, later on you'll see only music can fight them back.

I think the show gets only better as you get used to Basara, if you don't like him ignore him. Think about it this way, even later on Gamlin finally understands Basara...
vision33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 05:23   Link #69
ReddyRedWolf

Well Macross Frontier being 14 years after Macross 7 makes you wonder where they are now.

Is Basara still wandering the stars?

Did Mylene answer yes to Gaimlin?

Did Max and Millia fix their marriage?

Stations are still playing Basara's songs and artists like Sheryll emulate Basara.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 08:04   Link #70
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Well Macross Frontier being 14 years after Macross 7 makes you wonder where they are now.

Is Basara still wandering the stars?

Did Mylene answer yes to Gaimlin?

Did Max and Millia fix their marriage?

Stations are still playing Basara's songs and artists like Sheryll emulate Basara.

1) Yes.

2) No.

3) Yes.
Old 2008-04-24, 13:23   Link #71
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
I'm beaten due to never seeing Macross 7 :P. What were the specifics of the Protodeviln and their inter dimensional generator things.

Weren't they Super Zentradi that were possesed by beings from another dimension? Were they possessed due to the aforementioned generators? Also is it possible that the generators were grafted when they proverbially came out of the vat? (if that's how zentraedi or protodeviln are born, they were manufactured so to speak right?)
Protodevilin are beings from another universe that need to feed upon energy (called spiritua). They don't reproduce at all, and the seven who came into the Macross universe are the only ones that exist. And the Zentradi that were possessed by the Protodevilin were called... the Supervision Army!

Wikipedia has a pretty good write-up of the Protodevilin; it spoils a bit about the background and abilities of the Protodevilin, but very little of Macross 7 itself. Go ahead and check it out if you want to find out more about them.
Old 2008-04-24, 13:34   Link #72
ReddyRedWolf

The Protodevlin's corporeal bodies were the Evil series of weapons that were considered a failure until the Protculture found an appropriate power source.

The extradimentional realm where the Protodelvin originally reside.

All hell went from there.
Old 2008-04-29, 03:57   Link #73
Kikuchi

Just watched the entire series. It was... well, kinda nice, but rather mediocre overall.

There were some nice ideas here and there, and some story arcs were really interesting (City 7 taken, few last episodes...) and I really liked the characters.

But there are too many flaws, beginning with the rythm. When you think the pace's starting to be good, they suddently throw like 3 or 4 filler episodes at you. The animation also suffers considerably from the show's length as shown in, say, episode 39, where the animation is almost ENTIRELY taken from older episode, non-battle sequences included.
Also, while I liked the band, that Sound Energy thing really went too far IMO. And seeing how we got to see Basara "fighting" every episode, it stopped doing the trick for me around mid-ways, though I thought it was fun at first.

Finally, I didn't liked the way they dealt with romance. I mean, two episodes before the end, I thought the damn triangular thing was over. And suddently we get Gamlin shouting all over the place he's jealous of Basara and Mylene saying she just love Basara as much as Gamlin
Basara never occured to me as a good match for Mylene, seeing how he only ever saw her as a band member
Then, there Rex. I REALLY wonder what the poor girl was doing in this mess.
Anyway : do we exactly know how the damn love triangle ended ? Thanks to whoever can answer me

Before I finish, I'd still like to say that I don't hate Macross 7 at all. I thought it was fun and I had a good time with it. Plus, Fire Bomber's music was not half-bad, actually.
It just has way too many flaws that I can't bring myself to overlook.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 04:41   Link #74
ReddyRedWolf

Well if you ha noticed Basara placed more heart on Sivil than Rex or Mylene.

The thing is to Basara, Mylene is just a kid considering the age gap.

She's 15 and he on his 20's .
Old 2008-04-29, 04:59   Link #75
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

I always thought it was kinda obvious Mylene sorta liked Basara imo, because he was Basara. And liked Gamlin cause he was nice to her.

But Basara does have a soft spot for Mylene, but I'm not sure that it's romantically inclined or more sisterly.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 05:10   Link #76
Kikuchi

I know for Syvil and Mylene's crush. What I was saying is that :

- Rex served little to no purpose. She served as a jealousy catalyst for Mylene in one ep and... that's all. The rest of the time she was riding and blushing in front on Basara;
- I noticed that Mylene had a crush on Basara from the very start, but after all the time she spent with Gamlin and even being proposed, I thought she'd get over it.

As I said in my previous post, I'm certain that Basara never thought romantically about Mylene. Which is why I find Mylene's obsession irritating, especially for Gamlin.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 05:30   Link #77
ReddyRedWolf

The guy was a Meltrandi sex magnet can't fault Mylene on that.

Even Mylene's older sister Emilia tried to hit Basara. (In her giant form)

Chlore , Miria's ace rival, went fangirl on culture shock.

No doubt that rouge Meltrandi fleet once they found out about baby making would want Basara to father their children.
Old 2008-04-29, 06:17   Link #78
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Well, I didn't think the whole Gamlin x Mylene romance was particularly feasible either, since Mylene is like what, 14? when they first meet as prospective fiancees. Made me think Gamlin was a secret lolicon.

But the romance in Macross 7 is weaker than the one in the original Macross and it doesn't really focus much on romance in the first place.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 12:12   Link #79
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Well, I didn't think the whole Gamlin x Mylene romance was particularly feasible either, since Mylene is like what, 14? when they first meet as prospective fiancees. Made me think Gamlin was a secret lolicon.

But the romance in Macross 7 is weaker than the one in the original Macross and it doesn't really focus much on romance in the first place.
yeah. they also had a bunch of useless characters, that hung about for no reason.

like that flower girl, yet she featured in the opening. that really pissed me off, cos i was waiting for an explanation or something.

Old 2008-04-29, 13:45   Link #80
ReddyRedWolf

I think we only heard flower girl when she sang in the last ep.

Gotta love her game face though when she thought "This is for all the marbles" and finally threw that bouquet at the gliding Basara.

She's a fan , a dedicated fan even before Basara made it big.