AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2006-07-09, 07:59   Link #61
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Wow, lots of "bad poetry" in this thread.

Music is a reflection of humanity, that's how I see it. At least, that's how it ought to be—music is the artistic, tonal (or atonal) representation of what the artist is thinking or feeling. So, it is a reflection of that person, or that band, and as such is a reflection of a part of our world.

That's why I find many different kinds of music interesting. Now, my own upbringing and musical history, life experience and what have you has an effect on my perception of that music. Some artists' concepts I reject, because they bear little resemblance to my own experience or beliefs—I recognize that their effort is valid, but it doesn't speak to me. But most times I can find something in music that speaks to me, even across a wide variety of genres. I believe that having a broad musical taste is important—you shouldn't limit yourself to music from just one genre or time period or part of the world or be afraid to explore bands and sounds outside the norm.

So, I can go from listening to instrumental, expressive post-rock (Mogwai, Sigur Rós, Mono) to indie pop (Imogen Heap, The Decemberists, Belle & Sebastian) to hip-hop (Mos Def, Jurassic 5) to country (Nickel Creek, Neko Case) to rock (Tool, Muse, The Mars Volta) in a breath, because in all these bands (and many others I haven't named specifically) I can find something (or many things) to enjoy.
Old 2006-07-09, 20:22   Link #62
strangeness_dss
unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms
Now, my own upbringing and musical history, life experience and what have you has an effect on my perception of that music. Some artists' concepts I reject, because they bear little resemblance to my own experience or beliefs—I recognize that their effort is valid, but it doesn't speak to me. But most times I can find something in music that speaks to me, even across a wide variety of genres. I believe that having a broad musical taste is important—you shouldn't limit yourself to music from just one genre or time period or part of the world or be afraid to explore bands and sounds outside the norm.

thanks for contributing your sappy ideals.
strangeness_dss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 20:41   Link #63
Aoi_chan
☆ガ♂ル☆

Music means alot to me, being that I'm a musician and all. To me it is one of the few beautiful things humans create besides things like art etc. The type of music I listen to ranges from jazz, classical, rock, metal, ska, punk, blues, hip-hop, etc. I listen to music in many different languages as long as I enjoy the music.

If you want to know what I listen to, instead of posting a long list of artist (because it would be very long.) Just go to my last fm playlist.

http://www.last.fm/user/Taiyou_no_Ao304/
Aoi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 20:46   Link #64
Sing4ever9

Music= Life.
Sing4ever9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 20:50   Link #65
Alex Keller
Infornographer

Send a message via AIM to Alex Keller
Quote:
mu·sic
   /ˈmyuzɪk/ Show Spelled[myoo-zik] Show IPA
–noun
an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

This .
Alex Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 21:08   Link #66
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Music is simply anything that either gets me bobbing my head, breaking out in dance or wanting to sing along with the lyrics.
Old 2010-10-05, 22:06   Link #67
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I like music with skilled instrumentals that somehow can convey emotion and feeling to the listener without words. Which is why most songs I listen to don't have lyrics, though lyrics are of course nice when used properly.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 22:21   Link #68
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Music is simply anything that either gets me bobbing my head, breaking out in dance or wanting to sing along with the lyrics.
This
Old 2010-10-06, 01:39   Link #69
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Pretty much.

I really hate it when someone says a genre "isn't even music" just cause they don't like it or understand why anyone would like it. Hell, random noise can be considered music if you're abstract enough.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 01:53   Link #70
MetalCookie

Music is what brings up your boredom.
Old 2010-10-06, 02:04   Link #71
SupaaFreek

Best thing that ever happened to me
SupaaFreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 02:31   Link #72
EnchantingPrincess
~♥~G-Ri~♥~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaaFreek View Post
Best thing that ever happened to me
same here
But there is more to music when it comes to me. I really love music, any genre as long as I like it and any language. I really can't be picky .
Music... I love everything about it, like how it somehow helps me escape reality, it calms me when and helps ideas flow smoothly through my head.
Its just a beauty of life for me.
EnchantingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 03:01   Link #73
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I see music as something that has the power to unite people from many different parts of the world. A lot of people disagree about their outlook on life, how to treat different people, but music is what brings them all together. It has the power to soothe people's very soul, understand each other and be comfortable with them. Music is also a form of self expression, which is vital to understanding and enjoy life, and why I consider it so important. Without music, we would have none of that, and we wouldn't enjoy life for what it is. All of this is the reason I want to start playing music again.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 09:58   Link #74
white wing
degausser
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I see music as something that has the power to unite people from many different parts of the world. A lot of people disagree about their outlook on life, how to treat different people, but music is what brings them all together. It has the power to soothe people's very soul, understand each other and be comfortable with them. Music is also a form of self expression, which is vital to understanding and enjoy life, and why I consider it so important. Without music, we would have none of that, and we wouldn't enjoy life for what it is. All of this is the reason I want to start playing music again.
Just like what i learned from watching the documentary Global Metal. People from all over the world has different cultures, views, etc. but music is like the global culture (especially underground music)

as for what music is to me, it's just like food for my ears, my ears need a lot of food as simple as that.
white wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 10:47   Link #75
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
I'm gonna have to quote this as well. Well said.
Old 2010-10-06, 17:12   Link #76
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Pretty much.

I really hate it when someone says a genre "isn't even music" just cause they don't like it or understand why anyone would like it. Hell, random noise can be considered music if you're abstract enough.
Agreed. People get way too worked up over what other people's musical tastes.
Old 2010-10-06, 18:23   Link #77
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Techincally

An art that uses the sound, rhythms, and melodies of various instruments to convey ideas and emotion.

Pesonally

Any sound scape produced that I find enjoyable to listen to I consider music. Any sound, uniform or abstract, provoking the thought process (making you think) is music. Like the sound of rain, thunder, breeze, heart beat, they all can be considered music to the ears.

So as long as there is something that can speak to me on some level, whether it be the lyrics, voice, the sound of an instrument or something natural/abstract, I consider it music.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 00:09   Link #78
Flame-X
Anti-fan

It's a human culture. Just like in Macross. ^_^