AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-18, 00:16   Link #1481
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

There are some times when the pilot's guts and instincts outweigh the computers.

What I found interesting is that the colony ship is, according to the databurst, the first transport/colony ship of the Serenity Interstellar trading corporation - it reminds me a bit of the Star Kingdom of Manticore, which started out as a corporate colonisation effort and ended up becoming a monarchy, with CEO Roger Winton becoming King Roger I, and the board of directors becoming the House of Lords.

Also, the implications of the original Queen Serendipity is that she was the first colonisation effort undertaken by what would later be Serenity, and was overtaken to her destination by FTL-capable ships that were launched after her - which also happened to Manticore.

I'm also appreciative of the negative space wedgies they had to handle early on - it's very much a throwback to sailing through a severe typhoon.

Also, Gruelle is moe in that space suit. Also, when it's time for serious combat, it's good to see the crew skipping the pirate dress for ship utilities, and making sure their weapons are cleaned and ready for action.

Also, the mechanic, Sandaime? I'm getting a serious Simon expy/shoutout vibe from him, probably because of his color scheme and the goggles.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 00:21   Link #1482
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The supposedly sublight (pre-FTL drive) colony ship just went into Subspace. It shouldn't be able to do that if subspace is what they use for FTL travel.
Old 2012-03-18, 00:42   Link #1483
Spartanz1170

When I saw Grunhilde I thought I was seeing a young Mineva Zabi
Spartanz1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 01:34   Link #1484
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The supposedly sublight (pre-FTL drive) colony ship just went into Subspace. It shouldn't be able to do that if subspace is what they use for FTL travel.
I didn't understand alot of the things that happened in this episode (all the space stuff; I guess crazy things happen when space is ripped), but what I did find odd was that the ghost ship was moving though subspaces, as Ithekro pointed out. I thought it couldn't do that. And I guess the ship is manned after all? I feel like the ship is becoming less and less of a ghost ship and more of a conspiracy.

Last edited by Nochgo; 2012-03-18 at 01:58.
Nochgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 01:39   Link #1485
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It could be run by computer. Random jumps is one almost sure way to keep a ship from being found. Unless someone can figure out the computer's pattern over a long period of time.

But...the ship's not suppose to be FTL equipped...by the historical records. But then the ship looks a lot different than the historical records. It has been a very long time since the ship was launched. And last episode it appeared and then left in a hurry on Marika's sensors. Faster than one would expect. This week it appears in some kind of temporal rift like thing, then looks like it jumps out right after taking the Bentenmaru onboard.

There is something really weird about this ship. Weird enough that two Princesses are willing to fight over it by different means.

(Of course if it is jumping temporally in stead of FTL travel...basically jumping though time more so than space....maybe all it needs to do is get the ship up to 88 miles per hour and charge up the Flux Capacitor.....)
Old 2012-03-18, 02:39   Link #1486
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanz1170 View Post
When I saw Grunhilde I thought I was seeing a young Mineva Zabi
Another helluva shoutout among many in this show. Also, Kane pulled off a quick-180 to park the ship inside the bay -- that move will really impress Wash.
Old 2012-03-18, 03:21   Link #1487
Kyuu
=^^=

Well, I'm very well convinced that Marika is no longer a pirate captain in training. Y'can say that she reached that point earlier, but this episode is also an undeniable indicator.

Her brashness when handling command... I'm almost comparing her to Captain Kirk.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 06:56   Link #1488
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Well, I'm very well convinced that Marika is no longer a pirate captain in training. Y'can say that she reached that point earlier, but this episode is also an undeniable indicator.

Her brashness when handling command... I'm almost comparing her to Captain Kirk.
Alright drop that dry wit and step away from the metaphor! I want your parietal lobes where I can see them!

Though at this rate, the Deep Space Nine references I've squeezed into my latest chapter will not be out of place...
Old 2012-03-18, 10:51   Link #1489
klare

another golden haired tiny princess^^ i really dont believe in the future, space travellers will go back to that kind of 17th century fashion design

still dont understand most of the technical terms used in this eps, but it is a fun watch
Old 2012-03-18, 11:40   Link #1490
Mercurius.H
King of Hg

I just love those tiny details the staff keep in.
Seeing how Misa has to manually open the bridge door after the blast is a direct proof of their effort.

I have discovered a truly remarkable signature which this margin is too small to contain.
Mercurius.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 12:37   Link #1491
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
i really dont believe in the future, space travellers will go back to that kind of 17th century fashion design
No, but - you certainly do have this mix of 17th century style mixed into space travel. Privateers back in the day were single vessels often matched up against fleet vessels. And why not bring in that style of dress? The dress code brings in a feel for that kind of atmosphere.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 13:48   Link #1492
Random Wanderer

The anachronistic feeling is all part of the atmosphere of the entire series. Future colony with an old-style city and old-school maid cafe, future cars and then Misa's old-style Rolls Royce, futuristic space ship with an ancient ships wheel for steering, space travel with privateers and Letters of Marque... The whole series is built on mixing the future and the past to produce that anachronistic feel.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 16:15   Link #1493
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Ahh, no Chiaki this week. Grunhilde was cute though.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 16:38   Link #1494
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Ahh, no Chiaki this week. Grunhilde was cute though.
The general awesomeness of the episode helped offset the absence of Chiaki(and Jenny) from it. Grunhilde did look adorable for a presumed antagonist(who is possibly being manipulated by someone).

Mouretsu Pirates Social Group. Depending on what happens next week, I may have to add to Marika's Harem Achievements. At this rate, Jenny needs to do more to build up her harem(if that's what she wants to do).
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 17:03   Link #1495
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
At this rate, Jenny needs to do more to build up her harem(if that's what she wants to do).
I suspect Jenny could have her harem any time she feels like. She simply hasn't bothered. But I have no doubt she'd get most of the yacht club, and probably a great many other members of the school given her personality, her high social status, her excellent grades, and her family's wealth. I'm quite certain that she's one of those girls that other students idolize and squeal over from a distance when she walks past.
Old 2012-03-18, 17:35   Link #1496
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiar31 View Post
Spoiler:
Why do I have a feeling Marika takes more after her father than her mother?

I know the current ships are Kane x Misa and Marika x Chiaki but why do I have a feeling Kane not listening to Marika is how her mother and father started their relationship.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 23:00   Link #1497
Dark Wing

Gruelle asked if Grunhilde was being manipulated...I wonder if the reason their has been some in fighting within the Serenity family is because someone is whispering "encouraging words" into little Grunhilde's ear.
Old 2012-03-18, 23:02   Link #1498
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The golden ship has been on it's way for a very long time now. They apparentlx have a good amount of engineers and research & development staff with them, who didn't twiddle their thumbs all the time, but instead were very busy actively modifying the ship and its technology - which you can see already from it looking quite different from how it looked when it started its journey.

It's very possible that they developed some new technologies on their own, e.g. some sort of ftl driver, or something that allows them a similarly efficient travel. However, seeing the huge space rifts, shockwaves and anomalies it creates when used, the tech seems still a little rough around the edges. Quite something else than the smooth ftl travels that other ships like the Bentenmaru can do.

Also, it apparently has something very valuable aboard, valuable enough for Serenity's little sister to take the flagship to try to get it. Gruier also doesn't want to talk about what this is (perhaps a secret technology or something) and wanted to go alone because of that, put she can't pull that one with Marika.
Old 2012-03-18, 23:25   Link #1499
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Late to the Episode 11 party, **** subs was late in releasing it. (I'm one of those people that likes to stick with a single subber for the duration of the show.)

Despite the lack of Dark Queen Chiaki (I wonder what she's up to?) I thought that this was a pretty good episode. There were space quakes, hallway bending, engine twisting, battleships, prism formations, ghost ships coming alive (which I thought was a very nice sequence), stunt parking jobs, harem building, and gasping princesses in spiffy uniforms.

The extra Bentenmaru crew members once again reminded me of Captain Harlock. You hardly ever saw extra crew members in that show, but it was pretty obvious that a ship the size of the Arcadia would need a lot of crew members to keep it going.

Endless "Damage reports!....can come later" Soul

EDIT: Thanks CK, I forgot about that.

Last edited by Endless Soul; 2012-03-18 at 23:58. Reason: Can't mention sub groups for a licensed show!
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 23:36   Link #1500
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Gruelle asked if Grunhilde was being manipulated...I wonder if the reason their has been some in fighting within the Serenity family is because someone is whispering "encouraging words" into little Grunhilde's ear.
That generally shouldn't work, unless someone else higher up in the royal family is in on it. Frankly, as seventh and eigth princesses, neither Gruelle nor Grunhilde should have any real authority to speak of, unless something untoward has happened to princesses 1 through 6. Neither of them would even be considered an heir to the throne so long as any of their older siblings were still alive, and it seems very unlikely that military forces would support a child as young as Grunhilde over her older sister, when she isn't even close to being an immediate choice for ruler. Unless, as I said, someone higher-ranking in the royal family is also supporting Grunhilde over Gruelle.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri