AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-06-27, 20:30   Link #1
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Picture looks weird on 720p anime + some other issues.

So, recently I noticed weird problems with few animes. Note that I have not seen this with all 720p anime ( Or atleast not noticed ).

From top of my head I could mention atleast two ; Naruto Shippuuden and Saki.

With both is the problem that when the picture is moving, all edges and lines of characters, their faces etc. look really '' sharp '' as if some kind of Sharpener effect had been used with image manipulation program. When the picture stops and the characters are just talking, it looks normal.

With Naruto I also noticed that on dark areas ( hair color, backround etc. ) you can see clearly weird stripes, but they only go for the black area..

First i thought the problem was in the anime itself but now that I saw Saki having the same problem, I'm quite unsure. There was also third anime this was happening at but I can't recall the name at the moment.

Any ideas what is wrong O.o ?
Old 2009-06-28, 01:32   Link #2
Proudleaf

What software are you using to play these videos? Are you using the CCCP? And if you are, can you make sure your using the default settings?

The sharpening may be a result of the actual encoding of the video, meaning that it was purposely sharpened by the encoders. Or, it may be a result of some video filter you have turned on; providing some info on what software your using would help others help you.

The "weird stripes" that you see sound just like compressed video artifacts, which is a normal occurrence and isn't something that can be fixed (since it's a part of the video itself). Or, it could be that your decoder settings aren't set correctly, so again, providing what your settings are would be helpful.
Old 2009-06-28, 06:21   Link #3
Dist

I'm using Classic Media Player and CCCP. But earlier I was messing with various codecs as I was trying to get something work, though I removed them, maybe something was left behind or such ?

I'll try CCCP on default settings but I doubt that'll fix the problem so any further suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 2009-06-28, 16:26   Link #4
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Sounds like bad encodes to me, but do try CCCP with default settings and report back the results.
Old 2009-06-29, 05:38   Link #5
Dist

Yep, changed to default settings but no change. It still keeps happening, and mind you, it's awful looking. Really makes me not want to even watch the anime due the quality.
Old 2009-06-29, 06:16   Link #6
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

I suggest trying some other versions, then, as it's highly possible that those particular encodes simply suck.
Old 2009-06-29, 09:09   Link #7
Dist

Any suggestions ? I don't know what I should try since I always used CCCP without problems. Worth mentioning is that the problem does not exist on Saki eps 1-6, but interestingly enough the subbing group is different on those episodes.

Those eps were by Shinji, but they don't do Saki anymore, and for the recent ones, both MakiMaki's and DmonHiro's episodes have this same problem. I also downloaded the XviD version of latest episode to see if that helped, but apparently the problem is not in the fact that's 720p after all.

Well, most obvious answer would be that the group who subbed it itself sucks, but I haven't heard anyone else saying the picture looks weird ;<. And like I said, I tried two different groups, and the problem also happens with Naruto so.... aargh.. What could this be :S
Old 2009-06-29, 16:22   Link #8
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
did you try and reinstall cccp
if you have any codecs left that are clashing cccp should give you a note that allows you to disable them when you run the setup, this way you can easily find out if you have any other codec remains lying around that you aren't noticed off
Old 2009-06-29, 17:16   Link #9
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Any suggestions ? I don't know what I should try since I always used CCCP without problems. Worth mentioning is that the problem does not exist on Saki eps 1-6, but interestingly enough the subbing group is different on those episodes.
Before reinstalling anything, try with a stand-alone player such mplayer (which doesn't even need installation), which doesn't use external codecs. That way, if the picture still looks weird, you'll know the problem isn't your codecs but the video files themselves, and you won't have to reinstall your codec pack (cccp?) or mess around with its settings needlessly.
Old 2009-06-29, 20:31   Link #10
Dist

Yeah I've tried VLC. No idea what you mean by mplayer, but the picture still was weird. I was kinda leaning towards the fact the problem is in the video files aswell, but I don't get why is this crap being released, if it looks so horrible o.o.

When I looked at anidb.net and Shinji's status ( subbing group ), it said something like '' Encoding properly other groups releases ''.. I guess that too would mean that the encodes itself are bad.

What threw me off was just that the problem exists with Naruto Shippuuden ( And there are ALOT releasers for this.. CR, HdZone etc.. ), and some other anime I recently finished watching and for some apparent reason I can't remember it's name >.<.