AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2006-11-28, 22:56   Link #1
Morikawa Yuki
Aspiring Idol

Engrish Make or Break the Song?

I am sorry if this is already discussed somewhere else in the forum... Please delete this if this is the case.

I have noticed that many Asian songs have some form of Engrish in it: a word, a sentence, and heck, sometimes the entire song...

So, my question is does this bother anybody at all? Does the Asians think it's cool or sexy to put foreign words in a song?

For me, it did not bother me when I first listened to JPop, then I was a bit ticked that almost every song had Engrish. It just reached the break point for me when Kanon (in English, not Engrish since she studied in Australia) said in the middle of the song Brand New Breeze: "Baby, I just want you to know that you make me feel so beautiful..." This sentence (which hints lust) is so out of sync with entire song (which is focused on the special feeling that is love).
Morikawa Yuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 23:04   Link #2
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
It depends. In Higurashi's ED it's perfectly fine, in Bleach's most recent ending it's annoying (for me).
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 21:41   Link #3
Ov3rlock
Excalibong Owner

Send a message via MSN to Ov3rlock
It annoys me.... i don't know how do speak or write english propely.... but i like the way that the lenguage sound.... but, in japanese songs it botters me a little sometimes. By the way in portuguese songs its uncomum... and horrible to hear at.
Ov3rlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 23:16   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<shrug> in america, you'll hear musicians inserting spanish, french, and occasionally german into songs. The japanese are just as fascinated with american "culture" as we are with theirs it seems and spritzing up songs with Engrish (I'd say "eigo" but it really is fractured english much of the time) is just considered hip/cool. The interesting thing is that they often *know* how to do it correctly but they're more interested in the sound phrasing than grammatical accuracy. For that matter, the *japanese* lyrics often stretch the meaning of japanese grammar -- words are often strung together to evoke a mood, not make rational sense.
Old 2006-12-02, 05:31   Link #5
Lebron
I hear voices

Depends on if they can actually sing the line in English. Sometimes you can barely understand what they're saying, and they are singing the line in English. So, as a person who English is their main language, it can be annoying.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 08:12   Link #6
kaelsmith

engrish kills the mood, annoys, or makes me burst into laughter. isnt it time to get it right? all they really need is one good translator or grammer checker; its pathetic that most of the time its gramatical errors that even MS word can catch.
kaelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 02:57   Link #7
Charcol
immersed in music

Send a message via MSN to Charcol Send a message via Yahoo to Charcol
Mmm, I'd say it's ok if used correctly. In the Bleach ending 'Baby it's you' yea, it's annoying, but it doesn't really bother me sometimes. As long as it sounds good. One thing though is that song 'Tonight Tonight Tonight' by the beat crusaders. Personally I like the song but I know many ppl that don't because they can't understand the lyrics. There are about 5 different versions of the lyrics flying around the net.
Charcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 04:38   Link #8
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Engrish "occasionally scattered" in a song is OK, as long as the "mood" or the "rhythm" of the lyrics is not affected. But what I can't condone is an entire song sung in Engrish!

Come on, if the lyrics are ALL English, then wouldn't it make sense that they are pronounced correctly so that their meaning can help the melody or the mood the music is trying to portray?

Imagine how much more "relaxing" Naruto's "Wind" would be if the lyrics weren't in Engrish? Or how much "jazzy" and "cooler" Hellsing's "Logos Naki World" would be?
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 14:15   Link #9
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Remember that you guys are NOT the primary target. They could care less, just like how you guys insert random Japanese phrases into "South Park." It sounds weird to us, but since we aren't the primary target we don't give a flying fuck.

Seriously, who the heck cares? You are talking about insignificant things. "Oh they should just hire a translator." Yeah sure, I really see them taking that time in hiring an outside translator on their already scrapped time to make these anime. Why can't they write proper English? If they did, they wouldn't be stuck in as a low-wage slave as an animator, duh!

So what if our English language sucks ass? I don't see you guys doing much better grammar-wise either.

If you are really annoyed, why don't you write a letter to them? Like that is going to make any difference, of course.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 14:29   Link #10
kingdom_elladrel
Ayu-ism

Nothing wrong with that. If it bothers you to the point of annoyance, might as well stop listening to J-pop music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
<shrug> in america, you'll hear musicians inserting spanish, french, and occasionally german into songs. The japanese are just as fascinated with american "culture" as we are with theirs it seems and spritzing up songs with Engrish (I'd say "eigo" but it really is fractured english much of the time) is just considered hip/cool. The interesting thing is that they often *know* how to do it correctly but they're more interested in the sound phrasing than grammatical accuracy. For that matter, the *japanese* lyrics often stretch the meaning of japanese grammar -- words are often strung together to evoke a mood, not make rational sense.
That's exactly what happens. I'm sure it happens in many countries, in which their target audience are the people living in those countries. To their target audience, it sounds "cool" and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Remember that you guys are NOT the primary target. They could care less, just like how you guys insert random Japanese phrases into "South Park." It sounds weird to us, but since we aren't the primary target we don't give a flying fuck.

Seriously, who the heck cares? You are talking about insignificant things. "Oh they should just hire a translator." Yeah sure, I really see them taking that time in hiring an outside translator on their already scrapped time to make these anime. Why can't they write proper English? If they did, they wouldn't be stuck in as a low-wage slave as an animator, duh!

So what if our English language sucks ass? I don't see you guys doing much better grammar-wise either.

If you are really annoyed, why don't you write a letter to them? Like that is going to make any difference, of course.
Absolutely agree 100%. And besides, my favourite music just happens to be Japanese pop. I listen to it and not even think about the English language. I can enjoy it a lot more that way, the way the singers meant it to be enjoyed.
kingdom_elladrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 14:48   Link #11
Clarste
Human

South Park isn't the best example, since it's mocking things. I wouldn't be surprised if it's intentionally wrong... Well, either way, I don't see anything wrong with random English (Engrish?). If they like, they like it. Who cares if it doesn't mean anything?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote