AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-14, 15:06   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece certainly has a wide variety of villains, yet we're still at the halfway point of the series. What sort of wacky new villains (be they main villains or lackeys) do you think the Straw-Hat pirates will encounter in the future? Also, what are your thoughts on future adversaries that we currently know little about (like Jinbei, Akainu, Kaidou, etc.)? I'll post my thoughts in a bit, but feel free to share your thoughts first!
Old 2008-09-14, 17:34   Link #2
ellifeedn
Thinker

How about a tribe of cannibals where each person is named after a vegetable? Sailors usually worry about landing on an uncharted island with cannibals.
Old 2008-09-14, 17:41   Link #3
james0246

Thoughts about possible upcoming villains:

I am personally hoping that the last Shichibukai is a woman. I would also like some Vice-Admirals to be women (besides Tsuru).

I am also looking forward to non-plot oriented adventure stories, which these current side-arcs (Luffy and company being seperated) might represent.

As to specific powers, I am unsure. After seeing Enel, Aokiji, Kizaru, and Blackbeard (and of course Ace and Smoker), I see no reason why any new Logia powers need to be made, there are already enough extremely powerful Logia-users just lying around. Added to that, I have never seen Zoan abilities as being that interesting, so I have no great desire to see another Zoan user (as a villain) for quite awhile.

So, I want more Paramecia-users, if for no other reason than Paramecias are generally more inventive and interesting.
Old 2008-09-14, 18:22   Link #4
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

I dont really want the next villains to be df users that much.There can be someone out there like Rayleigh who can get a grip of logias, garps who can hit paramecia's by ignoring the resistance.It can give us more ideas about how they managed to do it.

We lacked one of those cool villains, Croc and Lucci gave us that.A funny villain, eneru, foxy,moria.So now I guess...It can be a time for some real bloody hardcore battle that can prepare luffy and rest for the new world.Lucci surely gave the violence and fear effect but Im talking about someone that can to scare Luffy to hell and giving him no point of escape...with also a hope to defeat (unlike mr invincible kizaru) So that Luffy and his entire crew can understand that there wont be always escape routes or someone to help them in trouble....and maybe they can start seriously upgrading themselves with rifles,guns,knifes,swords...more cannons on ship.Something.

We can have a sea battle too.Maybe some marine captain that is insanely genius over tactical sea battles (as far as I know there was one fat guy capable of that in a filler..well filler..) I found it funny that we hardly have ship to ship battles in a pirate story.Can be a good reason to explain Thousand Sunny's special abilities.

We can also have some old pals back like Smoker,Hina,Kuro,Arlong,Eneru,Lucci.

And for end-game final villain I want Blackbeard to be there.His origin real life counterpart was probably the most fearsome pirate in history and Oda stated that real life BB was his favourite pirate.So I guess its already settled.
Old 2008-09-14, 18:24   Link #5
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Thoughts about possible upcoming villains:

I am personally hoping that the last Shichibukai is a woman. I would also like some Vice-Admirals to be women (besides Tsuru).
I admire your hopes of seeing a female Shichibukai. It's just that so far most of the Shichibukai are male. And if Oda decides to have the last Shichibukai a male there's not much we can do about it. Seeing female Vice-Admirals besides Tsuru would be nice. On another note I think the Shichibukai should have a resemblance to the 7 deadly sins: Sloth, Gluttony, Pride, Lust, Envy, Greed, and Wrath.

Quote:
I am also looking forward to non-plot oriented adventure stories, which these current side-arcs (Luffy and company being seperated) might represent.
That's quite a possibility.

Quote:
As to specific powers, I am unsure. After seeing Enel, Aokiji, Kizaru, and Blackbeard (and of course Ace and Smoker), I see no reason why any new Logia powers need to be made, there are already enough extremely powerful Logia-users just lying around. Added to that, I have never seen Zoan abilities as being that interesting, so I have no great desire to see another Zoan user (as a villain) for quite awhile.
I should hope we see a Logia user that serves as an allie (other than Ace) rather than an enemy. For Zoan abilites I hope there are more bird models other than Falcon.

Quote:
So, I want more Paramecia-users, if for no other reason than Paramecias are generally more inventive and interesting.
The problem with Paramecia types, besides being the most common and basic of Devil Fruit list-wise, is that most of them are practically weak with the exception of the Gomu Gomu no mi, the Kage Kage no mi, and the Nikyu Nikyu no mi.
Old 2008-09-14, 18:26   Link #6
marvelB

Thanks to the current twist in the storyline, Oda now has the opportunity to make all sorts of crazy villains. Here's what I'd like to see:

- A main villain of a mini-arc that is, simply put, boring. Now, I don't mean boring as in "generic" or "cliched", I just mean that the villain is quite literally, boring. That is, a person who has no great ambition or aspirations, yet still has extroadinary abilities and will use them to preserve his way of living. Any fan of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure will probably already guess that I want to see a villain that's similar to Kira Yoshikage from part 4, who was that very type of villain (his goal, simply put, was to live a normal, boring life, while occasionally satisfying his sick, murderous desires). We actually already had a villain that was very close to this description with Kuro, who wanted to escape the life of a pirate and live a life of peace and tranquility. However, he also wanted to inherit Kaya's fortune. The villain I have in mind is a person who doesn't desire fame or fortune, but is comfortable with the life he has, and will eliminate anyone who disrupts his more.... questionable activities. I know this may sound kind of deep for an OP villain, but again, Kuro was already close to this sort of villain already, so I think Oda can pull it off well.

- A lackey villain that has an art-related DF power. Basically, anything he/she draws or sculpts will come to life and be used as their weapon. Yeah, this was done before, but I think Oda will make it quite fun! I know Goldenweek was sort of close to this, but she wasn't a DF user, and her Color Trap was a form of hypnosis. I guess the villain in question could be related to Goldenweek, though....

- As I previously mentioned in the chapter 514 thread, I'd really like to see some more reptilian Zoans (not necessarily dinosaurs either, but something like a crocodile or frilled lizard will do). Insect-type Zoans are welcome as well, especially a praying mantis Zoan (would make a nice opponent for Zoro, don't you think? ).

- As I've also said in some past thread, I'd really like to see a main villain with a blood-based DF power. That is, they would manipulate the iron in blood to form weapons and tools. Since iron is an element, it could be considered a Logia, but I'd much rather it be a Paramecia ability. I've speculated that Akainu may have this type of power, but some people have guessed that Doflamingo's power may be manipulation of blood, so we'll have to wait and see if this power ever pops up...

I'll bring up more thoughts about potential future villains in a later post.
Old 2008-09-14, 18:29   Link #7
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Well, as of right now, we really only know of three areas in the New World: Elbaf - Land of the Giants, Wano - The Samurai Country, and Raftel - The very last island in the New World. It is very hard to predict what future adversaries await the strawhats (this is Oda we are talking about) besides the ones we already know, given that we have so little information about the New World.

If I were to make any predictions, I would predict that Zoro will end up facing an extremely strong samurai or swordsman in the Wano country since it would be the perfect opportunity to showcase Zoro's skills in comparison to some of the strongest blade wielders in the world of One Piece. I also believe that Zoro's duel with an opponent from Wano will be one of, if not, the most pivotal moment for Zoro to truly grow in strength and gain an insight as to what it is that really makes a swordsman great. I also wouldn't mind seeing a giant from Elbaf that is a villain, but that might be a little redundant since Oz has already played that role. Don't worry marvelB, I'll make more predictions on future villains when the strawhats finally get to the New World and do some exploring.

Regarding Jimbei (one of the characters I have been dieing to see since the mentioning of him), I predict that he is going to be the physically strongest out of all the warlords for the reason being that he is a merman; a race known to be 10 times stronger than a human. Added to this already beastly strength, the power and strength of a merman is greatly amplified when submerged in water. Since Jimbei is a warlord, a title given to some of the strongest pirates in the world of One Piece, I would imagine that he would be practically invincible in the ocean and that no pirate (not even the emperors) would be able to defeat him in the event of fighting him under water. I also think that he is going to have a very different ideology in comparison to Arlong for the sake of avoiding redundacy. It is true that racism and discrimination towards the fishman/merman species still perpetuates in spite of the peace treaty inaugurated by the world governemnt 800 years ago (I believe), but I think that for some reason Jimbei had some kind of ulterior reason as to why he became a warlord and allied with his worst enemies; humans.

The Red Dog; besides his ruthless personality and calm demeanor, I can't predict anything about him right now since nothing has really tied into him yet. All we know is that he is a marine admiral who strongly adheres to the doctrine of absolute justice. It would be really awesome if his area of operations is in Impel Down, since such a terrible place with no hope of escape would coincide nicely with his brutal/violent ideology.

As for Kaidou, I personally think that he ate a devil fruit that gave him some kind of unfair advantage over Moria. It is a known fact that Moria had once fought on equal terms with Kaidou, so what is it exactly that gave Kaidou such an edge over Moria to the point where he was beaten and his whole crew was killed? Something must have seriously gone wrong for Moria to have fled from the New World and I think the reason Moria lost was because of a powerful devil fruit Kaidou had consumed.
Old 2008-09-14, 18:38   Link #8
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
I dont really want the next villains to be df users that much.There can be someone out there like Rayleigh who can get a grip of logias, garps who can hit paramecia's by ignoring the resistance.It can give us more ideas about how they managed to do it.
Good point. Besides a few villains scattered amongst the various "evil" groups, we have never had a boss villain withour DF powers (unless you count Mihawk as a villain). So, it could be interesting to see a future villain without powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
I admire your hopes of seeing a female Shichibukai. It's just that so far most of the Shichibukai are male. And if Oda decides to have the last Shichibukai a male there's not much we can do about it. Seeing female Vice-Admirals besides Tsuru would be nice.
I know that you are undoubtedly correct in your asumption, but having a strong main female villain in a Shounen comic has always been a great desire of mine (at least, so far as a person can desire a specific plot thread or character creation ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
- A main villain of a mini-arc that is, simply put, boring. Now, I don't mean boring as in "generic" or "cliched", I just mean that the villain is quite literally, boring. That is, a person who has no great ambition or aspirations, yet still has extroadinary abilities and will use them to preserve his way of living. Any fan of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure will probably already guess that I want to see a villain that's similar to Kira Yoshikage from part 4, who was that very type of villain (his goal, simply put, was to live a normal, boring life, while occasionally satisfying his sick, murderous desires). We actually already had a villain that was very close to this description with Kuro, who wanted to escape the life of a pirate and live a life of peace and tranquility. However, he also wanted to inherit Kaya's fortune. The villain I have in mind is a person who doesn't desire fame or fortune, but is comfortable with the life he has, and will eliminate anyone who disrupts his more.... questionable activities. I know this may sound kind of deep for an OP villain, but again, Kuro was already close to this sort of villain already, so I think Oda can pull it off well.
This is a partial aside, but I have always wondered which JoJo was your favourite (and consequently, which arc was your favourite). I always liked Joseph Joestar, so the 2nd-4th arcs have always been my favourites.

As for your idea, it sounds pretty cool. I think Bellamy could have partially fit your description, specifically the fact that he was only really a pirate for notoriety rather than any specific reason. Rayleigh, now adays, certainly fits the basic idea, but he is not a villain. I actually kind of expect that Jinbei will be similar to this description.

@Blackbeard D. Kuma, as usual, we have fairly close viewpoints on the "future" of One Piece .

Last edited by james0246; 2008-09-14 at 18:57.
Old 2008-09-14, 19:04   Link #9
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Besides a few villains scattered amongst the various "evil" groups, we have never had a boss villain without DF powers (unless you count Mihawk as a villain). So, it could be interesting to see a future villain without powers.
Did you forget about Kuro, Don Krieg, and, to an extent, Arlong? They didn't have DF powers and they were tough bosses for the start of the crew. But I agree with you that there aren't many boss enemies who don't have a DF power. The only people I can think of who could fight w/o DF are those who are insanly strong with some sort of "twisted" style to keep things interesting.
Old 2008-09-14, 19:09   Link #10
marvelB

Quote:
This is a partial aside, but I have always wondered which JoJo was your favourite (and consequently, which arc was your favourite). I always liked Joseph Joestar, so the 2nd-4th have always been my favourites.

Part 3's my favorite, but 4 is a very close second. I mainly love Part 3 because of the adventure aspect (and the fact that, y'know, it has Dio), but I find that 4 definitely has an edge where characters are concerned (plus, the Stand powers are a lot more original, with Killer Queen being my favorite out of them all ). I've still yet to finish parts 6 and 7, though....

And yeah, Joseph is my favorite out of the Jojo's, as well.

And on that note (as well as going back on topic), I'd also like to add that I'd like an upcoming OP villain to be some sort of evil priest/cult leader, like Enrico Pucci from part 6. Maybe he could use a DF power for some wacky, disturbing rituals or something....
Old 2008-09-14, 21:43   Link #11
The_Three_Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Did you forget about Kuro, Don Krieg, and, to an extent, Arlong? They didn't have DF powers and they were tough bosses for the start of the crew. But I agree with you that there aren't many boss enemies who don't have a DF power. The only people I can think of who could fight w/o DF are those who are insanly strong with some sort of "twisted" style to keep things interesting.
I thin he meant like the MAIN antagonists.( Baroque Works, CP9, Enel and Skypeia's priests, Mysterious Four.) Kuro, Arlong, Don Kreig were more of the "small" villians.

As for new villains, there could be an enemy for every Strawhat member since they all got seperated. As for DF users, I'm getting tired of the usual run of DF's too.
Old 2008-09-14, 21:55   Link #12
james0246

Quote:
And on that note (as well as going back on topic), I'd also like to add that I'd like an upcoming OP villain to be some sort of evil priest/cult leader, like Enrico Pucci from part 6. Maybe he could use a DF power for some wacky, disturbing rituals or something....
Not to completely disagree with this, but doesn't Enel calling himself God more than fulfill the need for this type of storyline .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
As Three Kings mentioned, I meant more Big Boss style villains, but you are correct, I did forgot several of these names in my post. The last significant villains that fought without having DF powers were 1 or 2 of the CP9 as well as nearly everyone in Skypiea (so, that more that meets your requirements for "twisted" style).
Old 2008-09-14, 22:29   Link #13
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Three_Kings View Post
As for new villains, there could be an enemy for every Strawhat member since they all got seperated. As for DF users, I'm getting tired of the usual run of DF's too.

That's exactly what I'm hoping will happen. Each crewmember facing their own individual enemy would be a great way to develop the crew without them going through the usual boring "training arc". And again, since they seem to have all been sent to random islands of Kuma's choosing, Oda can just go buck wild with villain designs. I'm still crossing my fingers for that Kira Yoshikage-esque villain....

Quote:
Not to completely disagree with this, but doesn't Enel calling himself God more than fulfill the need for this type of storyline .

The villain in question can be actually be related to Skypiea. Heck, maybe Urouge will even turn out to be this type of villain! After all, there must be some crazy reason a sky island monk like him is aiming to become a big-shot pirate in the blue seas....
Old 2008-09-14, 22:30   Link #14
ellifeedn
Thinker

^I understand now. I thought you meant the bosses of "arcs" when you meant the bosses of "sagas". btw, when I thought "twisted", I was thinking unpredictable and full of twists and that was the only word that came to mind at the time.
Old 2008-09-14, 22:40   Link #15
james0246

Quote:
The villain in question can be actually be related to Skypiea. Heck, maybe Urouge will even turn out to be this type of villain! After all, there must be some crazy reason a sky island monk like him is aiming to become a big-shot pirate in the blue seas....
He lost his wings . My biggest desire for Urouge was for him to mention Enel's defeat. So, here is hoping that he will actually come back as your sought after villain type.
Old 2008-09-14, 22:46   Link #16
marvelB

As far as preexisting characters go, I had always hoped, since they were first shown, that the Straw-Hats would face off against those Vice Admirals from the Enies Lobby Buster Call. All five of those guys seem pretty formidable, but I'm most interested in seeing Doberman and Onigumo in action. Both really strike me as being hardened war veterans who can kick some serious ass when they need to, and Onigumo in particular seems to share Akainu's "absolute justice" philosophy. Since Luffy and co. aren't quite up to the task of facing admirals like Aokiji and Kizaru yet, these guys should make for a nice test of strength....
Old 2008-09-15, 01:51   Link #17
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

actually they haven't yet had a cruel, sadistic and vicious villian yet. someone that does thosethings because it's "fun".

actually for that matter they haven't really had a vicious, all business boss except for maybe kuro.

or maybe they need a smart villian. one that uses his/her brains to do things and does things efficiently. but then again that might be hard for them to overcome. crocodile was almost like that. But he didn't make sure luffy died when he wanted to kill him. 2 times too. so guess he's dumb too.
Old 2008-09-15, 10:39   Link #18
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Three_Kings View Post
I guess Devil Fruit villains have been too much in encountering them. I suppose we can take a break from encountering such villains.
Old 2008-09-15, 16:36   Link #19
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
actually they haven't yet had a cruel, sadistic and vicious villian yet. someone that does thosethings because it's "fun".

Lucci is technically the closest to that description, but I get what you mean: Basically, you're expecting a more psychotic type of villain, something like Carnage from Spider-Man. I dunno... most of the time those types of villains turn out to be pretty one-dimensional and kinda tend to get boring fast (at least, that's the case for me). That's why I think it's most likely that Oda would make that type of villain an extremely goofy character....
Old 2008-09-15, 16:50   Link #20
Paraden1989

the only villain who can face Zoro at the end of the series is Mihawk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread