AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-19, 20:15   Link #14781
cleed

I head it explained why index is the way she is? I mean there was a reason why she is always hungry and cranky. I've read all the volumes in the novel and seemed to have missed/forgotten about it. Can some one please elaborate? or is it false?
Old 2011-11-19, 20:17   Link #14782
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleed View Post
I head it explained why index is the way she is? I mean there was a reason why she is always hungry and cranky. I've read all the volumes in the novel and seemed to have missed/forgotten about it. Can some one please elaborate? or is it false?
There needs to be reasons behind being a big eater and have a temper? I don't remember there being any mention at all of an "underlying cause" other than just personality quirks.
Old 2011-11-19, 20:37   Link #14783
cleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
There needs to be reasons behind being a big eater and have a temper? I don't remember there being any mention at all of an "underlying cause" other than just personality quirks.
that's what I'm trying to figure out as well. I keep hearing the reason for Index's personality is because of her association with john pens mode and that she has to eat a lot in order to keep up her mana and if she doesn't she get a headache and all crank or something like that. But I'm really not going to take any thing from it. its probably just some index fan boy tying to make it seem that she is more sympathetic than she already is.
Old 2011-11-19, 20:46   Link #14784
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleed View Post
that's what I'm trying to figure out as well. I keep hearing the reason for Index's personality is because of her association with john pens mode and that she has to eat a lot in order to keep up her mana and if she doesn't she get a headache and all crank or something like that. But I'm really not going to take any thing from it. its probably just some index fan boy tying to make it seem that she is more sympathetic than she already is.
If she has to eat a lot of food in order to keep her mana levels high, every other magician would too and we haven't heard anything about the top-class magicians being massive eaters. I wouldn't put much stock in it either; there's way too many flaws with the logic.
Old 2011-11-19, 21:03   Link #14785
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Index is cranky? No not really, most of the time she's takes things in stride except when it comes to food and Touma.

If you're saying she's cranky when she's hungry, then you're just stating the obvious because everybody gets cranky when they're hungry.
Old 2011-11-19, 21:04   Link #14786
Sumeragi
Banned

For some reason I think the stress from having so many grimoires in her brain might contribute to her being a glutton and also explains why she doesn't get fat (all those calories being burned up in storing the knowledge).
Old 2011-11-19, 21:05   Link #14787
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
The very base of his being is secrecy and massive trolling. Efficiency is a side-effect of those. Teh_Ping has a point though: Aleister utterly owned Fiamma, who very nearly owned the whole world. I shudder to think what would happen if he was openly and personally involved in a conflict.
Aleister pwned a one-armed bandit that is at the lowest point of his life- I don't think that's a good gauge in strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
For some reason I think the stress from having so many grimoires in her brain might contribute to her being a glutton and also explains why she doesn't get fat (all those calories being burned up in storing the knowledge).
I'll go with my Homunculus theory as always.
Old 2011-11-19, 21:28   Link #14788
Eratas123

What makes Index so special? Couldn't technically anyone be able to store the grimoires as long as they have photographic memory?
Old 2011-11-19, 21:31   Link #14789
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Aleister pwned a one-armed bandit that is at the lowest point of his life- I don't think that's a good gauge in strength.
He still pwned Fiamma of the Right. I really hope Fiamma gets the chance to pwn him back in NT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
What makes Index so special? Couldn't technically anyone be able to store the grimoires as long as they have photographic memory?
She didn't go insane/die/suffer horribly from doing so.
Old 2011-11-19, 21:56   Link #14790
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Quote:
She didn't go insane/die/suffer horribly from doing so.
From what I've gathered when I asked Flere, Index in her normal state can't use magic- whether it's sealed off or what I don't know, but because she doesn't have any 'mana' the Grimoires' knowledge can't corrupt her.

You can think of it as a virus being put on ice and not given a chance to multiple.

I don't know if this was her own natural ability or it was a system design by Necessarius, that's why for awhile I went with a 'Homunculus' theory.
Old 2011-11-19, 22:00   Link #14791
Eratas123

No mana? Isn't that similar to Imagine breakers effects of destroying mana based attacks? Wonder if they're related.

But don't all human beings have mana in the To Aru verse? Even espers like Tsuchimikado and Accelerator can use magic at the cost of their health.
Old 2011-11-19, 22:04   Link #14792
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
From what I've gathered when I asked Flere, Index in her normal state can't use magic- whether it's sealed off or what I don't know, but because she doesn't have any 'mana' the Grimoires' knowledge can't corrupt her.
The point still remains that the consumption of the knowledge itself didn't have any ill-effects for her. From what we know of Grimoires, they don't like 99.999% of the people that try to read them. She consumed all 103,000 of them and, as far as we know, nothing bad happened to her. Excluding the "outside interference" by the Anglican Church, of course.
Old 2011-11-19, 22:08   Link #14793
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
No mana? Isn't that similar to Imagine breakers effects of destroying mana based attacks? Wonder if they're related.

But don't all human beings have mana in the To Aru verse? Even espers like Tsuchimikado and Accelerator can use magic at the cost of their health.
'Mana' in Raildex (As it has comes to my attention, we have 2 other Novel with 'Toaru' in their titles, so we can't call this 'Toaruverse' anymore) is basically life force being converted for magic use. In this case what I suspect is that Necessarius did something that prevents this process from happening in Index normal mode.

But like you've said, every human can convert life force to magic, so an alternate theory I came up was that Index isn't a normal human.
Old 2011-11-19, 22:52   Link #14794
Miraluka
Banned

And those wings, Stiyl (any magician on the world could tell when Misha appeared on Russia) called them angelic wings, there must be something else there.
Old 2011-11-19, 23:17   Link #14795
Breidaluk

Index's case is a little special. She has her ability to refine life force into mana because of Necessarius. It's not just one spell, she has a lot of spells that forcefully maintain her in a condition where she can only use mana while in John's Pen mode. The Church probably cast defensive spells to prevent the knowledge to corrupt Index's mind or Index already has the ability to contain the knowledge. We need to see in the novels how John's Pen works. And we can't forget that what Touma negated in Vol1 was just one of the components to control Index(the collar).
Old 2011-11-19, 23:26   Link #14796
Eratas123

Is it possible that Index isn't human? Knowing the mind screw this series dabbles in, I wouldn't be surprised if Index was a fallen angel or she has telesma due to experiments by Necessarius.
Old 2011-11-20, 00:06   Link #14797
Miraluka
Banned

- Ouma just looked one book and ended on a bloody mess.
- Etzali almost burn his brain with the first grimoire he got and almost ended like Ouma with the second grimoire he got.

A grimoire has its source of power from Earth's energy and the person is the medium to spread their knowledge, if the person has protections against the knowledge spreading the grimoires will kill said person (Tecpatl), so if having 103, 000 and one is enough to contaminate a person mind even with just only a glimpse (Etzali) AND, even Silvia says that Ollerus needs to use a very special energy to barely survive the process of using his own magic got from the grimoires he read and hinted that someone capable of using the power of a Magic God with only normal magical power, would be a genuine monster, I wonder who could be this person?
Old 2011-11-20, 00:42   Link #14798
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Is it possible that Index isn't human? Knowing the mind screw this series dabbles in, I wouldn't be surprised if Index was a fallen angel or she has telesma due to experiments by Necessarius.
No, close to impossible. The series have too many indication when someone is an Angel or is possessed by them.
Old 2011-11-20, 02:41   Link #14799
leukrota

Quote:
Quote:
No, close to impossible. The series have too many indication when someone is an Angel or is possessed by them.
I wouldn't say close, but down right impossible. There's no reaction from touching Touma's right hand, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Well, maybe not from the grimoires per se, but from memorizing everything all the time... mental activity does consume a deceivingly high amount of calories, so perfect memorization must be a very heavy load on that account.
Old 2011-11-20, 02:43   Link #14800
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
No, it's more like Izzard's building, on which the mana is forcefully erased by magical means.

Quote:
As explained, Necessarius did something to Index and recanalized all of her mana so that Index has 0 access to it. All of her mana goes to John's pen mode and to be honest is apparently pretty strong, so that makes me wonder if her mana is naturally big after reading so many grimoires, or if it's that the Church method of sealing her mana also caused it to grow tremendously when it's actually released.

I think that she properly explained that she can check the books since she has no mana, thus her "I'm special" comment (I don't remember this one too clearly though). By extension, then Touma is probably going to be ok if he looks at a forbidden book in the case that he doesn't have mana in the same way that can't have an AIM field.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen