AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-28, 03:32   Link #1
KhaS

Mature drama

Hello there !
It's been a long while since I've watched anime (something like 2 or 3 years) so I have a lot of catching up to do.
What I'm looking for is a mature (with a big emphasis on this !) drama anime. Except for a few, I find most anime pretty boring with unbelievably childish social interactions. So what I would like to find is maybe a slice of life type anime centered around adult people (college is fine too; but don't get me started on Honey & Clover...).
A little bit of romance here and there is good also, but please, no cheesy stuff and no timid types.

I watched a anime about a barman (can't remember the ame) a while back and found it pretty nice except that it was too episodic for me. I kinda like long story arcs.

Now I know it's hard to find this kind of stuff because most animes are directed at younger people but maybe you can help me find that rare jewel !
Old 2010-04-28, 03:58   Link #2
jedinat

Eve no Jikan is one of the more interesting recent "drama" anime. (drama is not a very descriptive genre, lol, what with it apparently encompassing everything not entirely action-oriented and below a certain threshold of humor)
Old 2010-04-28, 04:42   Link #3
TyG3R

NANA - 47 episodes , manga is still going on , and it's a very good drama.
Old 2010-04-28, 04:51   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would have to recommend Planetes.
Old 2010-04-28, 08:09   Link #5
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I would have to recommend Planetes.
Definitely. One of the best animes I've seen, so many ups and downs.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2010-04-28, 08:49   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaS View Post
So what I would like to find is maybe a slice of life type anime centered around adult people (college is fine too; but don't get me started on Honey & Clover...). A little bit of romance here and there is good also, but please, no cheesy stuff and no timid types.
The "Noitamina" block on FujiTV has shown a variety of series that might appeal to you (even though H&C is in that list). Its primary target audience is young adults. Given your interests, you might want to start by looking at Nodame Cantabile about young classical musicians attending a Tokyo conservatory. Threads about Noitamina shows can be found here.

Quote:
I watched a anime about a barman (can't remember the ame) a while back and found it pretty nice except that it was too episodic for me. I kinda like long story arcs.
It's called Bartender , and it's one of my favorite shows. You'll see an image of Miwa at age four (from the remarkable episode two) at the end of my signature "gallery" below.

I suspect you might enjoy any of the shows linked in my signature. However, I'm going to suggest you start by trying Kure-nai. While the main characters are a sixteen-year-old boy and an eight-year-old girl, there's nothing juvenile about Kure-nai. It's an uncommon mixture of drama, comedy, and slice-of-life with excellent characterizations and voice acting.

If you're looking for a long, serious dramatic story, there's little that can compare to Monster. Not much romance, though. All the main characters are adults.

Finally, you might want to give Welcome to the NHK! a try. The characters are young adults with some deep psychological issues. The story careens back and forth between hilarity and sadness.
Old 2010-04-28, 08:53   Link #7
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Second NANA
Old 2010-04-28, 12:03   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think you would enjoy Mushishi. Main character is an adult, and it's episodic - most of the supporting cast changes from week to week and crosses all demographics.

I would also urge you to try Seirei no Moribito. One of the leads is a child, but the relationships themselves are extraordinarily complex and well-drawn. I would classify it as historical fantasy but it transcends any one genre.
Old 2010-04-28, 14:04   Link #9
Haladflire65
*Artist

I second Monster and Mushishi. Both are very mature and deep stories featuring adult characters, and it provides good contrast if you watch both, because Monster is extremely serialized (can't skip an episode and know what's going on in the next) while Mushishi is very episodic, as Guardian Enzo mentioned above. Also, Monster is highly realistic while Mushishi is fantasy.
Old 2010-04-28, 14:06   Link #10
Theowne
耳をすませば

Of the recommendations given to you, I will second the following: Mushishi, Planetes, Eve no Jikan. And with the disclaimer that it's more of a romantic comedy than a mature drama, Nodame Cantabile is quite good. Seirei no Moribito is also good but somehow I feel the setting/plot isn't really what you're looking for, but maybe I'm wrong.

I will also throw in my own suggestion as well: Millenium Actress. It is not a series, it is an anime movie, but if you want a deeply rewarding drama about adults, it's one of the best.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-04-28, 15:54   Link #11
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
I Second NANA
I third Nana!

Just finished my marathon of it yesterday, btw.
Old 2010-04-29, 17:02   Link #12
KhaS

I remember reading NANA some years back. But in the end, the girl with the read hair (in the anime; nana's friend) really annoyed me. She stroke me as the insecure type a bit too much: "does he love me ? does he not ? etc."

I tried watching the first episode Eve no Jikan but the main characters really put me off. Why do guys always have to be either completely shy (like in blushing when a girl talks to him) or at the totally opposide end of the scale. Why can't there be a more "realistic" character ?
Old 2010-04-29, 18:13   Link #13
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaS View Post
I tried watching the first episode Eve no Jikan but the main characters really put me off. Why do guys always have to be either completely shy (like in blushing when a girl talks to him) or at the totally opposide end of the scale. Why can't there be a more "realistic" character ?
The main characters didn't strike me as either of those. Neither are very shy and neither are, what, flamboyant? I'm not sure what this "realistic" kind of character is if you're finding fault with those in Eve no Jikan.
Old 2010-04-30, 03:53   Link #14
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

The best I can think of is Hataraki Man. The main character deals with her job, her love and her friends, all the characters are adult people. I'm not sure if there is enough drama in it for you, but it's definitely worth trying.
Old 2010-04-30, 15:57   Link #15
MamoruUsagi

Mature romance/drmaa manga

Mars
The Devil Does Exist
Paradise Kiss
Sand Chronicles
Bokura ga Ita
Ceres Celestial Legend
Akuma De Sourou
Kare First Love
Wild Act
Kare Kano
Sand Chronicles

These are mature, serious romance/drama manga

Mars is a great mature romance/drama manga.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-08-15 at 18:13.
Closed Thread