AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-04, 05:03   Link #821
Blaat

I'm loving this show it's right up there with Shin Mazinger Z as best anime remake I've seen so far.

One thing that has always bothered me shouldn't that thing is on the bottom of the ship be destroyed when Yamato crash lands on a planet?
Old 2012-08-04, 09:44   Link #822
macdawson

Ah, the azardous bridge number 3. Legend says that it's surrounded by a quantum improbability field generated by cristalized unicorn tears that make it indestructible except when it's relevant to the plot. XDDD

On a more serious note on that subject, just the way the Yamato makes landfall in the Floating Continent would be enough to break that thing off. I love that scene but that and the fact that the Yamato seems to almost come to a stop when it hits only to be speeding along in the next shot, fast enough to require the Rocket Anchor to be deployed, is a bit distracting. I blame it on artistic licence. XD But truth be told, the Yamato seems to have been built for punishment, with incredibly resistant, and probably still inexistent materials. The crash on Pluto seems vicious and yet the ship seem fairly undamaged, structurally speaking. Either that or those WM Fields take the brunt of the actual impact.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 10:07   Link #823
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

My imagination says the authors wanted to get ride of that bridge for those reasons...but knew they had to keep it. So they just run with it.

Yamato seems to be able to rest on the third bridge. My guess is it has something to do with their artificial gravity system. Otherwise it would seem odd for the ship to hover without using any thrusters, or maintain relative position with the floating continent in order to blow it up with the wave motion gun. While being within Jupiter's atmosphere.
Old 2012-08-04, 10:34   Link #824
macdawson

If you notice the scene where the Yamato breaks free, it almost seem to want to float away like a ballon but the anchors don't allow it. It's really quick in the scene but if you look carefully you'll see it. The WME seems to function by manipulating gravity itself, at least that's what i got from Niimi's explanation. If they can manipulate gravity, let's imagine they can increase the density of the ships main body to some extent, in order to allow such hard impacts, while at the same time making the ship nearly weightless relative to surrounding environments. That's the beauty of sci-fi, were dealing with things that don't exist but, as they say, if you can imagine it. . .
Old 2012-08-04, 12:39   Link #825
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Woops, got the two confused again

And while I myself would have tagged it to 23 km instead of 23,000 km, the fact is that with a continent supposedly the size of Australia, the perspective becomes all out of whack when you consider how large Australia is supposed to be compared to the continent. Then you'd have either the continent be smaller with Yamato being closer, which contradicts the dialogue.
Honestly? I'd just go with the idea that the actual visuals are intentionally out of whack with the real distances involved for dramatic purposes.

Spoiler for episode 4 commentary:
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 13:51   Link #826
macdawson

Small detail fixed but another one a bit wonky: the readout in Yuki's pannel wich, in the trailer read "ALART" was corrected to "ALERT". In the meantime it seems Balan is now called Balun. Admitedly, Yuki's pannel error is highly visible so i'm glad they fixed it. The Balun one i caught by mere chance. :-D

Also, i only noticed this a few days ago. Geru is named in the subs as Goer since episode 2. Though i actualy like that name better, i'm guessing it's not an acceptable pronounciation. That and Jarletora for Yaretora (though that one isn't as far of)

Last edited by macdawson; 2012-08-04 at 14:30.
Old 2012-08-04, 23:40   Link #827
August138

Geru in the original Japanese was taken from "Goering", as in Hermann Goering. So, the subs are correct (although, I did spot "Nanba", instead of "Nanbu", in the subs for Episode 4). As for "Balan", from the original Japanese, it can be transilerated several different ways, such as "Baran" and "Varan/Valan"; this may not be a misspelling. This is more likely a conscious choice, since this is an important place in the story (I believe I have seen it rendered in English as such, somewhere before...). Meanwhile, I have seen such translations in the past, such as French actor, Jean Gabin, being rendered in Japanese as "Jan Gaban".
Old 2012-08-05, 02:40   Link #828
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Played out the Battle at Pluto again with all the ships modifications and miniatures, as well as starting the battle with the two fleets parallel to each other.

Not a single Earth ship survived. And only one Gamilas destroyer was destroyed. Though the Gamilas battleship was heavily damaged by concentated firepower and at least a few cruisers and destroyers were badly hurt by the Earth ship. These few ships retreated from the remaining Earth fleet before the battle ended

Only one Earth ship was targeted by missiles...Yukikaze, as she was fleeing the area alone at high speed. They launched everything they had with a 10 percent chance to hit. But that was about 130 missiles. 20 hit the last Earth ship. Only three hits would have been needed.

Kodai and Shima are going to have to make other arrangements to get home.

Come time for the convention, I will set the fleets on their approach vectors just at the edge of firing ranges so the fight will still only take six or so turns, but also so each side has someplace they can move. The Earth fleet suffered do to them not being able to use what few advantages they have (the bow shock cannons mainly) and the Gamilas were able to bring most of their weapons to bear.

However the game played out fairly close to what we witnessed in the first episode, while still giving the impession the Earth ships could do something. (They missed more often than they should have...also known as bad dice).
Old 2012-08-05, 04:50   Link #829
August138

Here's something I thought might be interesting to ponder... Will Sanada be a "secret bionic man" (as the STAR BLAZERS Program Guide listed him) in the 2199 Universe?
Old 2012-08-05, 05:18   Link #830
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
Here's something I thought might be interesting to ponder... Will Sanada be a "secret bionic man" (as the STAR BLAZERS Program Guide listed him) in the 2199 Universe?
I had thought of that. He's a bit more cold and "robot-like" behaviour wise than in the original. Love that they have already hinted at his friendship with Mamoru wich in the original was only revealed in the "Magnetron Fortress" episode, along with his bionic limbs. They'll probably keep the bionic limb thing but loose the whole "use them as bombs" angle.
Old 2012-08-05, 07:16   Link #831
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

The reason for the Gamilons being so patient with conquering earth is probably a combination of several things. Space is big, so establishing the logistical base to support imperial expansion into deep space takes time. Even if the Gamilon fleet massed an invasion fleet of earth and conquered it all at once, it wouldn't accomplish anything. They'd have a blood bath...and then they'd have to wait a decade or two while they gamilonformed the planet, and built up the logistical infrastructure to advance beyond the Earth Solar system.

It's much more efficient to just set up some 2nd line auxiliary troops on Pluto to kill two birds with one planet bomb. Modifying earths environment, and destroying the local resistance. Since humanity is a low tech non warp civilization, this is an entirely reasonable move. Those Auxiliaries were gonna be put on Garrison duty anyway, and the Gamilons probably don't care if they lose some 2nd class Gamilas soldiers to attrition fighting the humans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
I had thought of that. He's a bit more cold and "robot-like" behaviour wise than in the original. Love that they have already hinted at his friendship with Mamoru wich in the original was only revealed in the "Magnetron Fortress" episode, along with his bionic limbs. They'll probably keep the bionic limb thing but loose the whole "use them as bombs" angle.
Are you implying that in the future prosthetics won't come with built in explosives?
Old 2012-08-05, 07:33   Link #832
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Are you implying that in the future prosthetics won't come with built in explosives?
I hope not. XDDD
Old 2012-08-05, 16:27   Link #833
August138

For those who may have been wondering...

Old 2012-08-05, 16:36   Link #834
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

So the confusion over what Rei/Akira's name gets addressed in the show itself?
Old 2012-08-05, 16:40   Link #835
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yeah. They call her "Yamamoto" most of the time, but when introduced to the pilots Kato calls her Akira, which confuses Kodai, who thought her name was Rei. She than corrects how her name is pronounced on her transfere orders where we get the pictures above.
Old 2012-08-05, 17:45   Link #836
macdawson

They call her Yamamoto because that is the costumary way to address other enlisted personel, at least while on duty. Notice that Kaoru present herself as Niimi, Yuki is refered to as Mori and even Dr. Sado call Makoto as Harada. Kato calls her Akira because they're old friends and he wasn't appealing to her as a friend and not an officer. That's one more way to make the military aspect of the show more believable.
Old 2012-08-05, 19:40   Link #837
August138

Many Japanese given names, since they are rendered in Kanji, can be read different ways, and depend on how/what the parents' pick out. This is why, even for the Japanese, many names in print are sometimes accompanied by furigana, so the reader can know the person's real name, and not just the common reading of said name. And yes, since 2199 is grounded in a real military structural background, everyone is referred to by last names — even Yuki only utters the familiar "Kodai-kun" (addressing him in a diminutive/familiar status) after she escapes death on Enceladus; she normally refers to him as "Tactical Officer", and even refuses to even utter his name, before that point.
Old 2012-08-05, 20:53   Link #838
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was just pointing out that her given name had not yet come up, thus why Kodai was confused and the issue of Akira/Rei even came up at all...in story.
Old 2012-08-05, 21:54   Link #839
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
Many Japanese given names, since they are rendered in Kanji, can be read different ways, and depend on how/what the parents' pick out. This is why, even for the Japanese, many names in print are sometimes accompanied by furigana, so the reader can know the person's real name, and not just the common reading of said name. And yes, since 2199 is grounded in a real military structural background, everyone is referred to by last names — even Yuki only utters the familiar "Kodai-kun" (addressing him in a diminutive/familiar status) after she escapes death on Enceladus; she normally refers to him as "Tactical Officer", and even refuses to even utter his name, before that point.
I suppose since I'm not instinctively familiar with many of these characters names (and sometimes you gotta do a mental switching between last and first Japanese names, trying to remember which order it's being shown as). But yeah, somewhat familiar with the issue of given names having multiple readings. I guess if it was something that would befuddle the fans, it'd be a subject of discussion in the show to.

Now that I think about it, my younger sister after watching the episodes with her DID comment that Akira did kinda come off as a Rei proxy ^^;
Old 2012-08-06, 03:51   Link #840
macdawson

I've said it before, and though it's just a guess on my part, Yamamoto, with the light hair, red eyes and the whole Rei alternate spelling, coupled with the fact she's a pilot, is probably an homage to Hideaki Anno since we all know his connection with Yamato throughout the years. :-)

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato