AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-04, 22:11   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Fullmetal Alchemist - Spoilers & Speculation (for experienced Alchemists only)

This thread is for the experienced Full Metal Alchemist viewer (i.e. those of you who are familiar with potentially all the light novels / manga), its purpose is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation over the Full Metal Alchemist anime series, it therefore will contain unmarked spoilers. If you are a light novel / manga virgin of Full Metal Alchemist, then do not read this thread unless you want to be spoiled.

Since posters are expected to be familiar with the light novel / manga, there is no real need for spoiler tags, but feel free to include them if you so wish.

Adding a Spoiler tag:
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a title that clearly identifies the specific source of the spoiler!

Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread if it's just discussion about the current or previous anime episodes. Also remember that this isn't a light novel / manga discussion thread, if you do want to discuss the light novel then please use the existing Manga Plot & Story Discussion thread.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2009-04-05, 13:27   Link #2
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Wanted to originally in the episode thread then realized many haven't watched S1 .

Spoiler for First Second / Season Comparison:
Old 2009-04-05, 16:22   Link #3
RedWing

S1 had a much, much better first episode. Ed and Al were introduced in their original bodies. Alchemy is explained. Equivalent trade is fully shown in its principle of the world of Alchemy. And with this we get to see in horrific details the tragic sequence events that lead to the boys' situation.

Rather in Brotherhood we are just thrown in the middle of a plot where details are just haphazardly thrown about and people are expected to take this in. How the hell is someone just supposed to know what alchemy is let alone human transmutation? WTF is a philosophers stone? Even why he is called Full metal is explained in S1. Brotherhood fails in so many levels it's ridiculous especially compared to S1.
Old 2009-04-05, 16:43   Link #4
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
S1 had a much, much better first episode. Ed and Al were introduced in their original bodies. Alchemy is explained. Equivalent trade is fully shown in its principle of the world of Alchemy. And with this we get to see in horrific details the tragic sequence events that lead to the boys' situation.

Rather in Brotherhood we are just thrown in the middle of a plot where details are just haphazardly thrown about and people are expected to take this in. How the hell is someone just supposed to know what alchemy is let alone human transmutation? WTF is a philosophers stone?
Even why he is called Full metal is explained in S1. Brotherhood fails in so many levels it's ridiculous especially compared to S1.
Because probably most audience is veteran watcher of FMA. This episode was really for the fans that watched FMA before not to the new audience.
Old 2009-04-05, 16:52   Link #5
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Because probably most audience is veteran watcher of FMA. This episode was really for the fans that watched FMA before not to the new audience.

Yes exactly and I think this is how people need to look at the episode. The manga and the anime start off very similarly. If the 2nd anime had started the same way as the 1st anime it might have thrown people off that the 2nd series is going to follow a different storyline. People might have stopped watching if they thought it was going to be exactly the same thing twice.

Also they mention Liore twice in the first episode, hence I am pretty sure they will get there in this 2nd series as well.

Also as for details being thrown haphazardly in well most of us know a lot of these details from the 1st series. But think of the 1st episode as an introduction (and a way to see familiar character again). Explanations and the real meat of the story will come.
Old 2009-04-05, 17:05   Link #6
Jarmel

They really should have labelled this as Ep.0 and made next week's Ep.1.
Old 2009-04-05, 17:12   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Spoiler for S1/S2 Comparision:
Old 2009-04-05, 18:01   Link #8
solomon

Personally, I don't think this was TOO hard for a newbie to get into at all. No harder than say watching one of Tomino's gundam TV series.

Admittedly they did skimp on the Alchemy logic explanations.
Old 2009-04-05, 18:47   Link #9
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Reach for the manual if you're really struggling to get the ep.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:07   Link #10
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I'm REALLY glad they didn't start the second season off like in S1 and the manga. I've already seen that stuff, and it would have bored me to death. I thought the way it was done really brought something new and fresh to the series, which is the ENTIRE POINT of doing a remake.

Though I do wonder if Liore will be revisited, or just established as already having happened (or maybe referred to in a flashback or something). I guess we'll see, but I'm also interested in how they're going to put a new spin on the human-transmutation scene for episode 2.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:08   Link #11
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
They really should have labelled this as Ep.0 and made next week's Ep.1.
What the hell would be the point of that? That's kinda stupid. It was the first episode of the new series, therefore it was episode 1. Get over it.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:38   Link #12
crow-kun

I liked this episode. And some of you need to chill out. It was clearly just a ice breaker episode. The only problem I had was Kimbley's voice. It's doesn't really fit my image of a psycho of his caliber.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:42   Link #13
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The voice of 00's Hallelujah. But, to be fair, ol' Kim in this version is more subtle in his brutality.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:43   Link #14
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Though I do wonder if Liore will be revisited, or just established as already having happened (or maybe referred to in a flashback or something).
They are going to have to revisit or somehow cover those eps since Lior actually matters in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
I guess we'll see, but I'm also interested in how they're going to put a new spin on the human-transmutation scene for episode 2.
New spin? Why would it need a new spin? They are probably going to do it exactly like the manga.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:45   Link #15
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I do apologize if someone somehow resisted the temptation to know (twice), and got spoiled back in ep1 thread. I have a habit of raising theories immediately, and combining it with opinions which is not necessarily a good thing.
Speaking of which, actually I wouldn't even really recommend it to anyone to start watching the rewamped series before the old one as it is going to be quite fast paced to catch upon the manga, and lots of the background story/Introductions I believe aren't going to be as well detailed as it's predecessor. Back to the previous discussion.
Spoiler for possible future events. Events from the old series:

edit: Actually I hope they are later going to follow the old tradition and show how old are the brothers at the beginning of each episode or whenever we had a flashback. That would help a lot

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-04-05 at 21:42. Reason: typo
Old 2009-04-05, 21:33   Link #16
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
What the hell would be the point of that? That's kinda stupid. It was the first episode of the new series, therefore it was episode 1. Get over it.
Because it's really a presequel to the story in Liore which is the starting point and presequels get the designation 0. We get all the explanations and beginnings starting next week. As other people have said this would have been a hard watch if I didn't already know alot of these plot lines and characters.
Old 2009-04-05, 21:43   Link #17
crow-kun

Quote:
Because it's really a presequel to the story in Liore which is the starting point and presequels get the designation 0. We get all the explanations and beginnings starting next week. As other people have said this would have been a hard watch if I didn't already know alot of these plot lines and characters.
Why there are plenty of shows that start with little introduction to the characters and build up from there.
Old 2009-04-05, 23:17   Link #18
Jarmel

I'm not saying this is wrong. I understood everything perfectly partly from watching the original anime and the manga, but it seems alot of peoples' complaints are that this episode was too confusing. It would have been better to designate this ep.0 for the newcomers and watch starting next week. That way they can rewatch this later and understand what is going on without feeling that they missed something vital.
Old 2009-04-05, 23:32   Link #19
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well then, time to find the first ep of the first season...
Old 2009-04-06, 00:10   Link #20
crow-kun

Quote:
I'm not saying this is wrong. I understood everything perfectly partly from watching the original anime and the manga, but it seems alot of peoples' complaints are that this episode was too confusing. It would have been better to designate this ep.0 for the newcomers and watch starting next week. That way they can rewatch this later and understand what is going on without feeling that they missed something vital.
I don't get whats confusing though.
Closed Thread