AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 24 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 123 57.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 24.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 9.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 3.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.47%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-14, 02:54   Link #101
calorie

Hmm, okay, well, I wasn't thrilled by the ending. As I anticipated, it was good - a bit too much on the sugary side and almost completely straightforward, but I was hoping for more.

I agree with those who say it was unrealistic for everyone to make it out alive and happy and even end up becoming lab members again. A dose of bittersweetness would definitely increase the artistic value of this anime; instead, it felt like a typical VN "good end".

Gave this episode, and the whole show, a rating of 8. Had I participated or at least read some of the discussions here on AS I probably would have enjoyed it a little more because the most interesting parts of Steins;Gate turned out to somewhere around the middle. However I hadn't been here at the time so I didn't spend much time trying to make sense of the time travel concepts or imagining what's going to happen next.

The characters were likable, but I wasn't that impressed by Okabe as I think some of the people here may have been, and the girls were nice but still predictable. Daru was different than the usual "idiot" of the show (he only technically fits into the category because he is the one who, most of the time, provides comic relief more so than anything else), I can't say I've seen many true modern otaku type of characters, but in the end his hentai jokes were always a downer for me because they made it seem like they treat the audience as being the same way.

Considering the intelligent dialogue, constant high quality animation and an intriguing plot I would certainly consider Steins;Gate an above average (i.e. Very Good = 8) anime but somehow it didn't particularly resonate with me in order to think of it as being 'great' or 'perfect'.
Old 2011-09-14, 03:53   Link #102
matapat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
I wish he'd just killed Nakabachi and used his blood instead. Otherwise, it's perfect.
If he had killed Kurisu's father, there is no way she would've forgiven him, despite what a monster he was to her in the last two episodes, he was still her dad. It also would've been completely against Okabe's character, he couldn't bring himself to kill Moeka for killing Mayuri in countless timelines, doing it to Kurisu's dad would've been eyebrow-raising.

Overall I liked the series conclusion, I also found it a little overly happy and really expected a few more bittersweet notes, but much like Higurashi, the characters went through SO MUCH SHIT during the course of the series they probably deserved the sugar-coated happy ending.

The parallels to Ever17 and Higurashi are definitely there all being part of the VN medium, but did anyone else notice the parallels to an American movie, namely

Spoiler for American time travel movie:
Old 2011-09-14, 04:04   Link #103
j4c06

To me, the whole Nakabachi thing felt kind of artificial. Seriously, from a villain who doesn't mind killing his own daughter you'd expect something more than a pocket knife. I mean, as a plot device it would be ok, if not for the simplistic way it was realized. Especially after they make you watch it twice, in ep.23 and ep.24, it is obvious that he is too lame (cardboard prop of) a character to match Okabe's sacrifice, makes it less real somehow...
Old 2011-09-14, 04:35   Link #104
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
The bit about the time machine was detailed in the VN. When one travels back twice to the same location at the same time with a time machine, the time machine automatically makes you travel into a world line with a different, albeit, very small divergence. That's why Okabe and Suzuha were able to travel back to the Radio Building, same location, same time, without meeting themselves.

It's actually the same with the time leap machine. It's not actually possible to travel back in the past in the same timeline. Okabe actually moves world lines when he does that. It's just that the divergence change is just VERY VERY small that the Reading Steiner doesn't activate and there's no change when you look at a divergence meter.
Alright, that makes sense even if it's a little too convenient. Any explanation about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
That's bugging me too, along with: shouldn't there be two Okabe's in the present? If time travel doesn't exist in the new Gamma worldline, then the Okabe who found Kurisu just goes on living his life linearly, and should still be there when time-traveling Okarin arrives.
? I figured Okabe would "fuse" with his new self in the new wordline as he always does, but he managed to physically go back to the present. He should have disappeared alongside Suzuha.
Old 2011-09-14, 04:39   Link #105
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
What the ?

This show is the best one from this season and the last one !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Yeah sure it! I like how you base a studios game on the anime they never had a hand in. The collaboration with 5p.b is one of their top rated VN.

It was never weak or boring too me. I don`t know what you were watching.

I for one loved the ending. I have not having played the game but knowing that having some unhappy end would ruin it. While spending hours to complete it wouldn`t go over well at all. This is why it is one of the top visual novels, combined with all the other elements it brought.

I will miss this show just like everyone else will.

Is called opinion, everyone has a personal opinion, not only good ones but bad ones too, it never catch me and still i find the show slow and weak. Not impressed and probably i will forget in 2 days. I rated it 5/10 for this reason.
Best for you maybe. Best for me is Kamidoll for summer 2011. And best Nitroplus visual novel is still Saya no Uta not this (Urobuchi best work), IMO.

Last edited by Fnights; 2011-09-14 at 04:52.
Old 2011-09-14, 05:27   Link #106
zero7090

anyone know the name of the piano track from 15:15 to 17:03 ?

Last edited by zero7090; 2011-09-14 at 07:23.
Old 2011-09-14, 05:46   Link #107
Qikz

Quote:
2) Why didn't Okarin and Suzuha stumble onto an earlier version of themselves from their first time-travel a few minutes ago?
That's the way the time machine works. They've been back in time and came to the present again、but in a different world line I think.
Great ending to a fantastic series.

MOVIEEE!
Old 2011-09-14, 07:26   Link #108
Nihokon

I guess the future Rintarou from 2025 must've been surprised when he found that after he sent Suzuha to the past along with the D-Movie, the world line changes and he finds Kurisu to be his wife. Must've been hard to have a powerful reading steiner, enough to maintain all memories from previous world lines.

Speaking of which, after I read this:
http://naomi.thewafflehouse.net/sg/w...n_World_Line_3
How did Rintarou end up being sent to the 70,000,000 years to the past in unknown world line 3?
Old 2011-09-14, 08:28   Link #109
Gohan78
Awakened One

Good ending, even if some things were left unexplained due to the lack of time. I gave it a 9/10. For me the emotional climax of the series remains episode 22.

I noticed another kinda plot hole that nobody addressed in this thread: we are to believe that Dr. Nakabachi never made even a single copy of Kurisu's paper. Oh, come on! I would have kept a digital copy of the paper on me the whole time. This is a huge stretch of my suspension of disbelief. Okarin should have just burnt the documents right there.

I also think that they screwed up the established rules of time travel in the final arc but I don't want to peer too much into it because maybe things were better explained in the VN...
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2011-09-14, 08:40   Link #110
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I noticed another kinda plot hole that nobody addressed in this thread: we are to believe that Dr. Nakabachi never made even a single copy of Kurisu's paper. Oh, come on! I would have kept a digital copy of the paper on me the whole time. This is a huge stretch of my suspension of disbelief. Okarin should have just burnt the documents right there.
Considering that Dr. Nakabachi stole the papers from Kurisu and then ran with them, he probably had no way of making a digital copy; if anyone made a back-up of it, it would be Kurisu herself, since she actually wrote the paper. Dr. Nakabachi just so happened to get his hands on the one hard copy she printed, and after the little stunt he pulled I highly doubt she'd give him access to a digital copy or even another hard copy.
Old 2011-09-14, 09:54   Link #111
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukahana View Post
Speaking of which, after I read this:
http://naomi.thewafflehouse.net/sg/w...n_World_Line_3
How did Rintarou end up being sent to the 70,000,000 years to the past in unknown world line 3?
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...6&postcount=28

Last edited by Iby; 2011-09-14 at 10:25.
Old 2011-09-14, 10:13   Link #112
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I guess I like my coffee sweet because I have completely no problems with the ending. IT gave of a closure, not the completely awesome one Madoka gave, but one that focused more on its characters. Its not bad to have a happily ever after sometimes.
Old 2011-09-14, 12:11   Link #113
tomtkp

Maybe I am in a cultural shock but I am really shocked that some don't like the ending
The ending is very heartwarming and touching and that's what makes this episode great as well.
After all those pain and hardships, Okarin finally get what he deserved by meeting Kurisu who is not supposed to appear in front of Okarin. Even before that, Okarin knew that he may never meet Kurisu again. Imagine if you have the same situation as Okarin does (never able to meet your most important person again) and suddenly she appears in front of you, how would you feel, you know the answer, right?

Okarin truly deserved this ending and yet some said it was unrealistic?
Do you mean that only sad or bad endings are realistic and the happy endings are unrealistic? Who make that basis at the first place? What's wrong with the happy endings? I really want to know the reasons.

Since the anime has come to an end (movie is coming), out of my passion towards Steins;Gate, I will arrange the divergence values that appeared in the anime from episode 1 to 24 so that you can understand more deeply into the story:

Attractor Field: Alpha, Future: SERN dystopia
Divergence 0.571024% (After first D-mail sent)
Divergence 0.571015% (lottery D-mail)
Divergence 0.523299% (Moeka's D-mail)
Divergence 0.456903% (Ruka's D-mail)
Divergence 0.409420% (Feiris"s D-mail)
Divergence 0.337187% (Okarin's D-mail for stopping Suzuha)
Divergence 0.409431% (Cancellation of the previous D-mail)
Divergence 0.456914% (Cancellation of Feiris's D-mail)
Divergence 0.523307% (Cancellation of Ruka's D-mail)
Divergence 0.571046% (Cancellation of Moeka's D-mail)

Attractor Field: Beta, Future: World War III
Divergence 1.130426% (Episode 1 original world line)
Divergence 1.130205% (Cancellation of first D-mail)

Attractor Field: Not Bounded, Future: Infinite possibilities
Divergence 1.048596% (Steins;Gate world line) (Note: shown in VN)

Another note:There are other divergence values for some heroines' ending in the VN but I will not include them to avoid spoiler for those who want to play the VN.

There are other attractor fields as well in other mediums

Attractor Field: Gamma
Divergence 2.615074% (Steins;Gate Drama CD 3)

Attractor Field: Delta (Steins:Gate dating sim version Hiku Renri no Darling)

Last edited by tomtkp; 2011-09-14 at 12:21.
Old 2011-09-14, 12:33   Link #114
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Some people felt that the ending needed a sense of tangible loss to validate the ending as being meaningful, though I don't agree very much with that.

So no, I don't think happy endings are bad.
Old 2011-09-14, 12:45   Link #115
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Me neither. This ending to me was just about perfect.
Old 2011-09-14, 12:49   Link #116
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

The ending was good. A sense of tangible loss doesn't mean anything. All that matter is that's coherent and it is.
Old 2011-09-14, 12:59   Link #117
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
To me, the whole Nakabachi thing felt kind of artificial. Seriously, from a villain who doesn't mind killing his own daughter you'd expect something more than a pocket knife.
What should he have then? He can't just openly walk around with a katana, and guns are very much illegal for anyone to own in Japan if you aren't with the police. That doesn't leave him many options.
Old 2011-09-14, 13:00   Link #118
scr
my sides are in orbit

This is one of the better series this season... nahh, this year.

It's nice to see that while Okkari~n is a mad scientist, he's not a cold-blooded murderer. I'm impressed by his selfless (and totally MAD) way to resolve the situation. In real life, he would have died from hemorrhagic shock (ICD-10: R57).

He should totally hang-out with Akemi Homura and Rachel Alucard.

The ending scene reminds me of Chrono Cross.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
Old 2011-09-14, 13:19   Link #119
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post

He should totally hang-out with Akemi Homura and Rachel Alucard.
Also Phil Connors, Sam Winchester, O'Neil and Teal'C.
Old 2011-09-14, 13:38   Link #120
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
That's the way the time machine works. They've been back in time and came to the present again、but in a different world line I think.
Great ending to a fantastic series.

MOVIEEE!
Nope, same world line, and YES they should've bumped into themselves.
Of course if Suzuha set the machine for 5 seconds before they would arrive before their other selves and hence change the time stream.

But Suzuha disappearing at the end? That shouldn't have happened. Suzuha would just exist out of the stream since she was in the machine. And Future Okarin still needs to build the machine to send Suzuha to the past to ensure that this time line is correct.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Closed Thread