Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-05-12, 17:29   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Petopetosan?

Sorry if this thread is lurking about somewhere but repeated use of the search function got me nada. Nuke this is there's an existing thread, please.

1) Is Petopetosan licensed, if so by whom? (it doesn't show up in the animeondvd or animesuki lists)
2) If not, why doesn't animesuki have a listing for it? (or is this one of those "we got a nasty letter" victims?)
3) Anyone know if the subbers who have done the first 10 eps still plan on finishing or have they run into staffing issues? (especially if it isn't licensed)

Apologies, but I only recently came across this show and I've grown somewhat fond of Sahara (and the rest of the odd little group) and the show's quiet skewering of racial attitudes.
Old 2006-05-12, 17:35   Link #22
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Sorry if this thread is lurking about somewhere but repeated use of the search function got me nada. Nuke this is there's an existing thread, please.

1) Is Petopetosan licensed, if so by whom? (it doesn't show up in the animeondvd or animesuki lists)
2) If not, why doesn't animesuki have a listing for it? (or is this one of those "we got a nasty letter" victims?)
3) Anyone know if the subbers who have done the first 10 eps still plan on finishing or have they run into staffing issues? (especially if it isn't licensed)

Apologies, but I only recently came across this show and I've grown somewhat fond of Sahara (and the rest of the odd little group) and the show's quiet skewering of racial attitudes.
It isn't licensed as far as I know, but it's a media factory title, so yes it's one of those "'we got a nasty letter' victims".

There is a thread in the fansub forum for this series.

As for your third question, only the fansubbers doing it can answer for sure, but it's always been slow to release, so I'm not concerned.
Old 2006-05-12, 17:56   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ah thanks.. now why didn't that turn up in search? its the same damn keyword I used.... (i'll ask the mods to strike this thread)

edit: the last few posts were moved here and make less sense now.... carry on

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-05-12 at 20:27.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 20:24   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

From what I've been able to see, I got hooked when I saw Sahara swimming I have to admit.... but its a beautiful little show that skewers certain attitudes about races and racial relationships that one encounters from time to time.

Only complaint I have is some of the characters seem to be slow as mud when it comes to catching on to things and some of the animation worked poorly (like Sahara with Shingo by the bonfire). I also thought it interesting that the playful little show managed to incorporate some pretty brutal aspects of kappa culture in a way that wasn't jarring.

Very interested now to see what Sahara plans to do after ep 10 ... up to now she's been the "daughter of Motoko Aoyama" ... and really no complaints about Shingo other than being a bit slow on the uptake.

I'm just sorry I waited so long to take a look... course now I'm hooked by a kappa.

edit: so.... if Media Factory is being so protective of it === they need to get off their ass and distribute the damn thing in Region 1. Hello, MF? Customer speaking!!

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-05-13 at 20:15.
Old 2006-05-13, 12:17   Link #25
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Well, judging by the looks of it this isn't really a high budget anime. Sure the character designs stay very consistent, but there's a lot of "lazy animation" going on, and some pannning too...

But I must admit that the character interactions and the plot is very intriguing.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 20:01   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye... if they had provided an animation level and art more like Kamichu.... mmmmm.

As it is, I still class it above certain recent shows involving unusual characters that wasted my time (*navel*cough*) though it is really hard to class or rate. It mostly works on the charm aspect and the implicit level --- kind of like Totoro with an edge
It is certainly worth a watch if only to see the modern interpretations of classical japanese oni and mythical races.

I'm not quite sure what class of demon mister "faceless" derives from though.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-05-13 at 20:23.
Old 2006-05-19, 17:49   Link #27
ujiuji

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what class of demon mister "faceless" derives from though.
Noppera-bō would seem to fit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noppera-b%C5%8D
As mentioned in the Wikipedia article they turn up in "Pom Poko" I've also read somewhere of modern "urban legends" that went around young people in Japan quite recently about such creatures. Can't find a reference, though.
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 17:56   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh.... interesting. I'm fond of the technique of taking classical demons and monsters and turning them into modern interpretations. In this case, the "monsterness" is much more subtle --- I will say Sahara is the loveliest kappa I've ever seen (though there's a blenderizing from merpeople myth and their japanese cousins the kappa )... actually its all just propaganda put out by the anti-specified races crowd
Old 2006-05-21, 03:04   Link #29
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I think the weakest link in this anime is when it deviated from its "monster racism" roots and went towards the

Spoiler:

What a trite plot twist... but at least the ending was pretty decent.

Old 2006-05-21, 13:25   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye.... I'm finding that a bit annoying and diverting from what the series is strongest with: the racism skewering and the budding triangle between Petoko, Sahara, and Shingo. I agree, the instant Sahara's little sis announced her project in ep 10, I thought, oops, derail in progress.

edit: Speak of wishing .... I see that I'm going to get to see ep 11 now.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-05-26 at 15:22.
Old 2006-05-26, 15:25   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ep 11 was a bit disjointed and seemed to be just some ideas thrown together. We do get to see advances in Sahara's and Petoko's story whereas Shingo is just acting a bit random. Very nice "eating watermelon on the porch" sequence kind of mitigates the whole "park project" sequence which was a story derail. (gah... Sahara's personality echoes my wife's personality ).

Looks like ep 12 is back on track based on the preview though.
Old 2006-05-27, 21:11   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I agree that there was a bit of a disjointed quality to 11, but given that the structure of this series is so loose and random anyway it didn't bother me too much. I think the core story of the Shingo/Petoko relationship was advanced nicely, albeit in a very subtle way. As for the little sister theme park idea, yes, I can live without it generally speaking.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 15:13   Link #33
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

True, but at least they put less notion on the "Imo-ten" and started concentrating on the relationships between the characters.

Ep12 was a lot better than ep 11, because it started going back to its monster racism roots.

Old 2006-05-30, 16:22   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just got to see ep 12.... yay for going back to what the show does best.

I have a nasty feeling they're just toying with me about Sahara ... even she said it was up to Shingo ultimately (though she's going to try her damndest apparently).

Only complaints were with the overdone nature of the "operation" and I can't say I'm not somewhat annoyed at the idea that Petoko's mom might be interfering but I'll hold off til we see how it plays out in ep 13.

comments about ep 13 preview:
Spoiler:

OST: I picked up the Petopeto-san OSTs (two of them) because I liked the mellow, leisurely feel mixed with the traditional sounds. I also like it when musical tracks use *real* instruments (like Azumanga or Petopeto)... flute, tuba, etc.

Its funny, outside of the anime series - a lot of the tracks sound like something out of a 1930s cabaret slightly-sleazy jazz band. Other tracks have a "here come the clowns" circus feel. The main theme "done melancholic" is really nice to listen to.
Old 2006-05-30, 20:08   Link #35
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

There's some nice old Enka (old japanese classics) in the OST's, I suggest you check them out.

Old 2006-05-30, 20:27   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I heard those today as I was rotating the whole list through my background music.... I'm fond of ethnic folk music of many cultures -- so those were immediately a hit with me.
Old 2006-05-31, 13:27   Link #37
Ryuujin

I think this is the first time I've ever been evenly split about a love triangle...

Also, that feudal Japan "explanation" was hilarious, and geisha Kuguru is always a plus.

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 13:52   Link #38
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... sometimes a "feudal" flashback fails (PPD 24 kind of flopped imo) but the Petopeto version was pretty damn funny. I find it amusing that they manage to dance around rather adult themes without ever being really explicit (the "daybreak" operation... heh).

And I'm also even-split about the love triangle --- personally, I prefer Sahara but Petoko is very likeable and I've managed to get through the entire series without getting pissed at Shingo (very unusual for a male lead). I suspect the next episode will be rather bittersweet no matter what happens.
Old 2006-05-31, 15:54   Link #39
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
And I'm also even-split about the love triangle --- personally, I prefer Sahara but Petoko is very likeable and I've managed to get through the entire series without getting pissed at Shingo (very unusual for a male lead). I suspect the next episode will be rather bittersweet no matter what happens.
Personally, I prefer Sahara as well. I see Petoko as more of a mascot than anything else (kind of how Amelia was in The Slayers TV series). Sahara is quite awesome. (IMO, YMMV). Here are some old avatars I cut for this show and were lost due to the great forum hack of 2005 (they're from earlier episodes):

A.

S.

I have quite a few more, but I believe they're on another computer in a different part of my house.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 16:14   Link #40
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It's nice to see some Sahara-love. But never, never, never at the expense of the magical Petoko. What are you thinking? Lol.

I agree about Shingo. Somehow he always stops short of becoming annoying.

This show helped give me a new appreciation for enka. I can now sometimes enjoy it.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, fantasy, romance, shounen