AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-03, 15:59   Link #921
Solachinx
is a myth

Okay, so as an anime watcher and not having read any of the books, how does this "New World Creating" thing work? Haruhi wishes for something, it happens, and the the current world ends and get's rebooted? The auther must've been a mad genius to think this series up.
Old 2009-02-03, 16:05   Link #922
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
Okay, so as an anime watcher and not having read any of the books, how does this "New World Creating" thing work? Haruhi wishes for something, it happens, and the the current world ends and get's rebooted? The auther must've been a mad genius to think this series up.
You know some times when you're so frustrated, you think of stuff like 'I wished I was never born', 'I wish he was dead', 'Wish this was all a dream', 'I wish that the world was not like that', etc.

What do you think will happen if Haruhi has such thoughts?

The SOS-dan is there to make sure Haruhi won't come up with such thoughts.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-02-03, 17:43   Link #923
Falcon1991
K-ON and Haruhi fan

Whilst it is partly easy to see. In the first Island Syndrone episode, on the ship it shows a woman with Mikuru colored her tearing up a bit of paper.

Is it actually the adult Mikuru and if so do we know what she was doing there?
Old 2009-02-03, 17:49   Link #924
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon1991 View Post
Whilst it is partly easy to see. In the first Island Syndrone episode, on the ship it shows a woman with Mikuru colored her tearing up a bit of paper.

Is it actually the adult Mikuru and if so do we know what she was doing there?
The woman is actually just there as background to spice up Itsuki's 'boring talk'.

Our perspective is almost always Kyon's, and Kyon always finds Itsuki boring. That's why he's looking around the ship, which we get to see what he's looking at, the woman tearing up paper.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-02-03, 18:19   Link #925
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The woman is actually just there as background to spice up Itsuki's 'boring talk'.

Our perspective is almost always Kyon's, and Kyon always finds Itsuki boring. That's why he's looking around the ship, which we get to see what he's looking at, the woman tearing up paper.
She's also, oddly, wearing the same clothes we initially see the "real" Makoto in, in Kanon.

Of course, Kanon 2006 came after Haruhi. Might be a reference.
Old 2009-02-03, 18:22   Link #926
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't be the first time KyoAni had a reference in one of their works....wouldn't be the last either.
Old 2009-02-04, 01:09   Link #927
ijuinkun

It seems that Haruhi can make small-scale changes in the world without a total reboot--for example, we see her power making Mikuru's eyebeams become real, or the sakura trees bloom in autumn, in "Boredom". On the other hand, if she is totally dissatisfied with the status quo, then she seems to want to erase the chalkboard and start over, so to speak. The "total world reboot" scenario has only been invoked twice in the books so far--once in "Melancholy" and once in "Disappearance" (though you could say three times if you count the reset at the end of "Disappearance" as separate from the change that it is being reset FROM).
Old 2009-02-04, 03:36   Link #928
Falcon1991
K-ON and Haruhi fan

Thanks you two.
Old 2009-02-04, 14:03   Link #929
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
It seems that Haruhi can make small-scale changes in the world without a total reboot--for example, we see her power making Mikuru's eyebeams become real, or the sakura trees bloom in autumn, in "Boredom". On the other hand, if she is totally dissatisfied with the status quo, then she seems to want to erase the chalkboard and start over, so to speak. The "total world reboot" scenario has only been invoked twice in the books so far--once in "Melancholy" and once in "Disappearance" (though you could say three times if you count the reset at the end of "Disappearance" as separate from the change that it is being reset FROM).
Thanks, I think I get it now.
Old 2009-02-05, 11:38   Link #930
RandoomDude
Old Pro

Any one know where I can find all the promotional posters for the Second Season (if not a least the majority of them) in decent quality, all in one place? Also, if there's been any video promotions (the only ones I know about are the recorded school ground ones of two years ago). Just looking around for as much OFFICIAL confirmation as possible, and a little something to ease my anticipation.
Old 2009-02-12, 17:35   Link #931
Solictum

Ok I have another question, what was Nagato's reasoning behind her actions in the 4th book? I got a little confused around that point.

What I got out of it was...
Spoiler for the fourth book:
Old 2009-02-12, 18:19   Link #932
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

More or less, yeah.
Old 2009-02-12, 19:31   Link #933
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solictum View Post
Ok I have another question, what was Nagato's reasoning behind her actions in the 4th book? I got a little confused around that point.

What I got out of it was...
Spoiler for the fourth book:
I think that it was more
Spoiler:
Old 2009-02-13, 05:47   Link #934
ijuinkun

I think it was a combination of both. By suppressing Haruhi from using her power and moving Haruhi to another school, Yuki set up the situation for herself and Kyon, but she was also granting Kyon's wish for a mundane world where he wouldn't need to worry about aliens etc. and having to save the world from its own "goddess". Kyon's rejection of a world that, if you believed his usual complaints, was his "ideal", gives us a big look at what kind of character he is underneath--one who realizes that what we think we want isn't the same as what we really want.
Old 2009-02-15, 17:37   Link #935
Nosauz

From those who have read the light novels, whats the probablility it will be a asahina x kyon ending, I mean I wouldn't mind haruhi x kyon but my prefrences is the latter one. And is it me or did the author just stop writing haruhi since vol. 9
Old 2009-02-15, 17:52   Link #936
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
From those who have read the light novels, whats the probablility it will be a asahina x kyon ending, I mean I wouldn't mind haruhi x kyon but my prefrences is the latter one. And is it me or did the author just stop writing haruhi since vol. 9
Low probability. Vol. 7 killed most of the possibilities.

Besides, Haruhi isn't really about the romance anyway.

And yeah, we've been waiting nearly 2 years for Vol. 10 now...
Old 2009-02-15, 17:58   Link #937
Nosauz

I can see why people are nuts about haruhi, characters are great, story is really interesting but what boggles me is to the degree which is fandom goes. Also the reason why ask about asahina ending is because the anime is done by kyoani and whenever I watch their stuff questions like that pops up.
Old 2009-02-15, 18:43   Link #938
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I can see why people are nuts about haruhi, characters are great, story is really interesting but what boggles me is to the degree which is fandom goes. Also the reason why ask about asahina ending is because the anime is done by kyoani and whenever I watch their stuff questions like that pops up.
Fandom ruins everything that would otherwise be good and pure. It's a fact.
Old 2009-02-20, 03:18   Link #939
SnackPacs
As Expected of 2chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Fandom ruins everything that would otherwise be good and pure. It's a fact.
You know, I have a pretty good example... The fandom of fangirls behind Death Note when it was primarily in manga form, with their doujins and fanfiction.

This led many I knew, including myself and close friends, to believe it was some melodrama BL crap.

And boy was it the exact opposite. And when I look at the stuff like that, all I can think is, "Most of these people had no reason beyond the two male leads looking 'pretty' to them to pair them up." Fandom is fine but... I think this is the one series I look back on and say, "the fans honestly did harm to their beloved series" at times...

Within the main plot, sure it was implied that were it not for the whole Kira thing, they could have ended up being friends and yet... That's the entire freaking focus, the Kira case.

Haruhi fandom isn't as bad as that I think... It's just got a massive devotion, not one that skews its actual content. Just LOTS and LOTS of immense praise, albeit some overdramatic.

TMoHS is a great dramedy series (emphasis on the edy part) but kinda... gets portrayed unfairly in both bad light (I.E. meaningless hate [that... a lot of above decent series get these days]) and good light (I.E. exuberant praise).
Old 2009-02-20, 03:49   Link #940
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Some of the hate is due to popularity backlash. In fact, some of the people who don't like the show explicitly mention popularity backlash as the primary reason. It's popular (in anime fandom terms, anyway), and they don't see why. I encounter the same sort of feeling for Harry Potter and Evangelion myself, even if I try not to act on it.

It's okay to not like something everyone else seems to like, and vice versa, as long as the opinion is based on the thing itself, rather than the discussion of the thing. I like to tell people to judge a show based on the show, rather than its fandom, and judge the fandom based on the fandom, rather than the show. So far it hasn't worked, but hope springs eternal.
Closed Thread