AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2007-06-20, 13:44   Link #501
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
Let's just say... Yuuichi and Yukito can't match up to his character. Though Sunohara has a lot to do with that.

Oh and Kinny, you're still part of Baka-Tsuki right? You do know of the CLANNAD project?
I'm aware of the CLANNAD translation project, but I've not played the game yet, so I don't think I'm qualified to translate that, not to mention not wanting to spoil myself.

After spending months going through Kanon and AIR (reading sentence by sentence without a dictionary when being semi-fluent in the language is mentally exhausting), I needed a break, especially hearing the time it takes to finish CLANNAD is longer than Kanon and AIR combined. Thanks to you and Sushi-Y, I think I'll get the game within the next month or two. The money had better be worth it.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 15:08   Link #502
velocity7

It will be worth it. Though if you're buying it, I suggest getting the PS2 version. Not saying the PC version's bad, but the PS2 version on sale is the only one with voices.
Old 2007-06-21, 15:40   Link #503
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
It will be worth it. Though if you're buying it, I suggest getting the PS2 version. Not saying the PC version's bad, but the PS2 version on sale is the only one with voices.
Or if you're like me, who's willing to sell an arm and a leg to play the game voiced on PC, you can buy both versions and use this to patch the PC version with the voice files from the PS2 version.

Of course, you can always just buy the PC version and "obtain" the PS2 files from a certain p2p software. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
Then perhaps I can make you a bit happier again, my favorite scenario in the game (not counting the Afterstory) was easily Kyou's and Kotomi's. To bad that Tomoyo's scenario is the most uneventful one if you're not counting Tomoyo After.
To me, Kyou's story had a lot of potential, but it never really got a chance to realize them. I loved the twist in the end, but it still wasn't enough of a punch for me.

Kotomi's story was great, it's easily my second favorite after Fuuko. To be honest, Kotomi didn't really attract my attention much at first, but once I got into her story, I was hooked. The Noto Mamiko voice matched her perfectly too.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 01:04   Link #504
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
Then perhaps I can make you a bit happier again, my favorite scenario in the game (not counting the Afterstory) was easily Kyou's and Kotomi's. To bad that Tomoyo's scenario is the most uneventful one if you're not counting Tomoyo After.
I disagree. Save for Nagisa, Tomoyo's scenario is easily one of the deeper stories in the school arc. It's the only one which actually deals with both Tomoya and Tomoyo's dislike of their family in any detail and how that brought about their paths. It's also one of the few arcs where you can actually understand why they were so attracted to each other (unlike say why Ryou is attracted to Tomoya for example, and Kyou's attraction is run-of-the-mil). It's only "less eventful" because a lot of the things were the characters themselves talking about it as past ordeals they've dealt with and less of it being stuff happening in realtime, but in this case less is definitely more and the deeper emotions spills over from the text so well that makes it interesting.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 08:52   Link #505
Orrin
Sumika Kagami Fanboy

Kyou's scenario was the second one I played after Nagisa's, so it might have given it a bit of extra impact that i hadn't heard Ana before and the twist in the end was pure genius. Though I'm a bit worried how it will turn out in the anime, atleast if Kyoani is going to do it "the Kanon way" and skip any form of romantic involvement from Tomoya.

Kotomi was actually the one that I was most interested in from the start, mostly because I'm a big Mamiko Noto fan but I couldn't imagine that her story would be so touching.

To make myself a bit clearer, I liked every scenario in the game they were all great in their own way and it was really the diversity that made it so special. Tomoyo's scenario has more of a emotional dialog and monologue then actual events, which makes it special but just as with Kyou's I'm a bit worried how it will turn out in the anime.

After all this talking about how touching some scenarios are I really have to mention Kappei's, I don't belive that I have ever laughed that much before
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 14:45   Link #506
velocity7

The other thing to note is that, what KyoAni does here will determine whether or not a Tomoyo After anime is possible. (?)
Old 2007-06-22, 23:00   Link #507
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
The other thing to note is that, what KyoAni does here will determine whether or not a Tomoyo After anime is possible. (?)
They could always just do it anyway regardless of the anime outcome. Maybe as a 4 part OVA or tv series. Maybe Toei movie XD
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 23:27   Link #508
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
They could always just do it anyway regardless of the anime outcome. Maybe as a 4 part OVA or tv series. Maybe Toei movie XD
I reckon to milk as much out of the franchise as possible, there will probably be the Tomoyo After anime regardless. But yeah... and OVA would be nice too!
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 23:36   Link #509
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
There's always the possibility that they'll scrap the original Tomoyo scenario, and instead use the Tomoyo After scenario in CLANNAD TV, instead.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-23, 16:55   Link #510
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
There's always the possibility that they'll scrap the original Tomoyo scenario, and instead use the Tomoyo After scenario in CLANNAD TV, instead.
Tomoyo After is a direct continuation of Tomoyo's scenario in CLANNAD, not to mention it's kind of like Tomoyo's version of the After Story, so I don't think that'll work. And I think it might be a little too weak to stand on its own as an animation.

Of course, I would love to be proven wrong on this.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-23, 19:45   Link #511
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

What you want to do is take Tomoyo's arc in Clannad and combine it with Tomoyo After and release the combined story as its own stand alone piece (which was how it was supposed to be read anyway), also the cast and art has to be standardise between the two works, so IMO that's probably the best way of doing a Clannad/Tomoyo After anime. You can even take out the "After" from the title and just call it "Tomoyo - It's a Wonderful Life".
Old 2007-06-26, 10:55   Link #512
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
I'm more of a PC person, so I'll pass. I cleared both Kanon and AIR via the PC version without voices anyway (not to mention getting to see some, ahem, "extra" stuff, no matter how insignificant they are to the storyline).

I'm wondering if I should get Tomoyo After. The character design is done by someone else than (I forgot her name), is it even worth it? I noticed only the PS2 version is available on internet stores, so I'm assuming the PC version didn't sell well. I gave the guys at the store an email and they said the PC version is rare and quoted me a very obscene price just for one copy.

(Yes, I want to see what the "juicy" extras available on the PC version are like, or else the PS2 version's not worth it if the story's crap, so shoot me for being superficial. )
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-26, 13:00   Link #513
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
I'm wondering if I should get Tomoyo After. The character design is done by someone else than (I forgot her name), is it even worth it? I noticed only the PS2 version is available on internet stores, so I'm assuming the PC version didn't sell well. I gave the guys at the store an email and they said the PC version is rare and quoted me a very obscene price just for one copy.

(Yes, I want to see what the "juicy" extras available on the PC version are like, or else the PS2 version's not worth it if the story's crap, so shoot me for being superficial. )
Tomoyo After is quite worth it if you've played Clannad and enjoyed Tomoyo's character. If you can get your hands on the first press, even better since it comes with the soundtrack, and KEY music is, as always, fantastic at setting the mood.

Most of the way the story is told in Tomoyo After is pretty standard KEY stuff - sarcastic protagonist, lots of tsukkomi comedy etc at first, then dips into the heavy stuff at about half-way. The execution really hasn't deviated much from their winning formula. The opinion of the game is, however, divided, because of how the theme of the story is quite different to previous KEY works. Most KEY works has more or less happy endings and at worst bitter-sweet endings, and in the centre of these it's always the "if you tried hard enough, you can overcome any obstecles" optimistic view of life, and in a lot of ways previous KEY works even invokes miricales to assist in the story to progress in that fashion. This is where Tomoyo After is different.

Tomoyo After sort of flips that philosophy upon its head and says there are going to be times which you simply cannot get what you want no matter how hard you try, and no miricales will happen. It sounds a bit harsh for a game where people are suppose to enjoy some sort of escaptism, but the best thing about attacking a theme like this in Tomoyo After is because when this is applied to Tomoya's character it showed enourmous growth in his personality, as he had learnt to quickly pick himself up after failures instead of mopping around as he did in Clannad. And for a character like Tomoyo whom had always gotten what she wanted through hardwork because she is such a capable person but now having to face failures or matters which she cannot change, it makes a very contrasting story and adds a fair bit of chemistry and tension between this pair of lovers (Tomoya and Tomoyo are officially lovers from the beginning of the game). All these in itself is quite a valueable lesson in life too, especially for young adults, and that's what Maeda Jun wanted to write about according to several interviews he gave. The make-or-break part is whether you feel Maeda Jun had delievered or not, some people felt that he didn't and instead demoralised people (why bother if there are things you can't change?) but IMO he did it fairly successfully, even though at first I was quite shocked at the ending and it took me a bit of reflection on the whole story to understand what Maeda Jun was going for. Perhaps I'm more of a pessimistic person but I reckon Tomoyo After is a bit more mature and much "rawer" than previous KEY works (or other visual novel works for that matter) and it's definitely worth it for a bit of change IMO, especially if you've gotten sick of the too-many "protagonist wins through hardwork in the end" type of stories out there.

Last edited by houkoholic; 2007-06-26 at 13:11.
Old 2007-07-02, 16:31   Link #514
velocity7

Old 2007-07-05, 12:20   Link #515
mugener

Just to let you guys know, Clannad is delayed by kyoani until 2008 fall because Haruhi 2(which will be aired this fall).

well, no surpirse, since Clannad can't earn more money than Haruhi 2 for kyoani,
this delay is reasonable.

source: moonphase.
mugener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 12:31   Link #516
velocity7

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20070705

Dunno how good your Japanese is, but the Moonphase poster posts that it is "quite possible that CLANNAD will end up in Fall 2008", but does not imply that it is a confirmed written-in-stone date. Spring 2008 I can probably understand based on timing, but Fall 2008 looks quite ridiculous, especially since a previewing of CLANNAD is happening at TBS Anime Fest next month.

Another thing to note is that the Moonphase post is based off an overview in March of 2007 that was under publication ban until recently. And overviews are never 100% accurate, since times change, and people can make more money and such.

Needless to say, no confirmation on Haruhi's date either. I suggest we all wait until we get an actual confirmed date on Haruhi or CLANNAD, so we can figure out which one will air first.

Although I'd like CLANNAD to air first, I already know Haruhi has the volume 4 timing so it might get the Fall 2007 slot with CLANNAD taking Spring 2008 (which also is good timing). That's just my two cents though.

On the other hand, we haven't seen any Haruhi season 2 footage to date. Unless that's what the next Lucky Star is for?

Last edited by velocity7; 2007-07-05 at 13:16.
velocity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 22:02   Link #517
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Spring 2008 I can probably understand based on timing, but Fall 2008 looks quite ridiculous, especially since a previewing of CLANNAD is happening at TBS Anime Fest next month.
Well, yeah -- with the AnimeFesta in August, the Movie airing in September, and the Invitation DVD being shipped in September, they're not then going to wait a year to air it. I think that's just a bad guess there. Clannad should either air in the Fall or Winter at the latest, I think.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 00:40   Link #518
max2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugener View Post
Just to let you guys know, Clannad is delayed by kyoani until 2008 fall because Haruhi 2(which will be aired this fall).

well, no surpirse, since Clannad can't earn more money than Haruhi 2 for kyoani,
this delay is reasonable.

source: moonphase.
In this form it sounds like a try to give "clannad" fans a bad feeling ...

Yes i like ShnY to, but should that mean i shoul disike Clannad ?

I think i would enjoy Clannad to because is it Kyoani. Great news ShnY 2nd seems to be 100% by Kyoani, still waiting for some more FMP .
max2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 03:03   Link #519
dgreater1
Misuzu & Kotomi Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2k View Post
In this form it sounds like a try to give "clannad" fans a bad feeling ...
More like, giving the Kagikko's something to worry about, or they might be trying to stir some emotions between Kagikko's and Haruhist

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2k View Post
Yes i like ShnY to, but should that mean i shoul disike Clannad ?

I think i would enjoy Clannad to because is it Kyoani. Great news ShnY 2nd seems to be 100% by Kyoani, still waiting for some more FMP .
No! You'll enjoy CLANNAD because it's a KEY story that's been faithfully animated by KyouAni, erm... KyoAni

Anyways, Haruhi... CLANNAD... I don't really care which comes first...
(Damn you DGreater1! Don't lie! We all know you want CLANNAD first )
dgreater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 04:46   Link #520
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreater1 View Post
More like, giving the Kagikko's something to worry about, or they might be trying to stir some emotions between Kagikko's and Haruhist
Unless they want to be remembered for centuries as the catalyst for World War III, I don't think they'll mess with that.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen