AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 280 64.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.16%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-04-26, 18:29   Link #41
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Although you could eat the bread without any real side effects, the jam on the other hand...
Side effects with the jam? Well, not really. It doesn't really kill anyone or knock 'em cold.

Yet, when combined... it caused several students to faint. I am not too sure if it is the jam, or the bread...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 19:36   Link #42
qwertyuiopz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Psst, I bet it has something to do with the ending.

- Tak
it was at first
but after figuring it out that it was from the vn ending then i didnt care

its the time skips
to think they would have time to do a full recap episode yet skip important short scenes like nagisa's funeral and their wedding
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 20:57   Link #43
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
it was at first
but after figuring it out that it was from the vn ending then i didnt care

its the time skips
to think they would have time to do a full recap episode yet skip important short scenes like nagisa's funeral and their wedding
I think a funeral would have detracted a little from the effect of her death but that's just my opinion. As for the Wedding, I think they didn't have time (speaking of Tomoya and Nagisa of course and not the director) to actually have a ceremony considering she became pregnant soon after getting married and then her illness kicked in. They got married by signing some papers but were planning to have a ceremony as soon as Tomoya saved up enough money but unfortunately, tragedy took the stage after her pregnancy.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 20:08   Link #44
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
They did not have the wedding or funeral in the anime either. Agreed as above ^ it would detract from the show. It isn't about those things, they would be interesting but that would be a big step for kyo-ani to add that.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-30, 21:41   Link #45
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
They did not have the wedding or funeral in the anime either. Agreed as above ^ it would detract from the show. It isn't about those things, they would be interesting but that would be a big step for kyo-ani to add that.
Yep, a funeral wouldn't really seem Key-like, you gotta have that suprise/tragedy element added towards it, and then a bitter yet happy ending.
Old 2009-05-01, 01:53   Link #46
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I mean, I could understand it if one was to compare Clannad with Kanon, which would make much more sense.

Kanon, which preceded Clannad, was pretty much used as a basis, as a lot of elements left from Kanon were kept intact in varying degrees.

Girl in coma? Check.
Girl in coma with spirit walking about? Check.
Animals turned into human being but could not sustain self? Check.
Certain food you just cannot eat? Check.

And many, many, others.

- Tak
Because of Kanon I've not bothered stating my thoughts on Clannad as a whole. I likely would end up just making the mistake of comparing the two on many points and that wouldnt really be fair since I love Kanon and there really isnt much at all I can criticize Clannad for without making that comparison outside of the slow start in AS as well as its rather iffy (for me anyway) ending.

*begins thinking of rainbow colored bread smothered in that special jam.*

Well they do say bread and jam go hand in hand after all...
Karlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 12:15   Link #47
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlson View Post
*begins thinking of rainbow colored bread smothered in that special jam.*

Well they do say bread and jam go hand in hand after all...
...but Sanae's bread and jam are an exception, in this case it works more like tranquilizers.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-02, 19:37   Link #48
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
...but Sanae's bread and jam are an exception, in this case it works more like tranquilizers.
Lol tranquilizers? I would prefer the term - near poison. But anesthetics work I guess.
Old 2009-05-02, 23:23   Link #49
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... can we move the idle talk to another thread? I don't think the total series rating thread is the most adequate for this conversation.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 03:49   Link #50
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Yep, a funeral wouldn't really seem Key-like, you gotta have that suprise/tragedy element added towards it, and then a bitter yet happy ending.
Yeah I finished watching both Clannad and After Story last night - I haven't finished the game yet which I'm regretting now but oh well - and Episode 16 really shook me up.

It was like two in the morning when I finished that and I should have gone to bed but I stayed up to watch the last eight episodes and yeah I couldn't believe Nagisa was gone.

I think I'll have to go back and watch a couple of the last episodes as the ending is still a little hazy for me. I know it's like a miracle but I feel cheated as a viewer that everything went to shit but then suddenly it's alright.

I mean, how would have Tomoya gone on in the world where both Nagisa and Ushio died? As much as I love a happy ending it feels forced.

Overall it was a great series, loved the characters - Tomoyo's ending seemed rather sad to me, I guess I'll look into the Tomoyo After for some comfort there - and I really enjoyed it.

I laughed, I cried, I felt.

Can't ask for much more than that.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 12:29   Link #51
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
"I mean, how would have Tomoya gone on in the world where both Nagisa and Ushio died? As much as I love a happy ending it feels forced."
Basic answer: He wouldn't. He died shortly afterwards (likely of grief, exhaustion, and exposure).
Old 2009-05-04, 18:37   Link #52
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Yeah I finished watching both Clannad and After Story last night - I haven't finished the game yet which I'm regretting now but oh well - and Episode 16 really shook me up.

It was like two in the morning when I finished that and I should have gone to bed but I stayed up to watch the last eight episodes and yeah I couldn't believe Nagisa was gone.

I think I'll have to go back and watch a couple of the last episodes as the ending is still a little hazy for me. I know it's like a miracle but I feel cheated as a viewer that everything went to shit but then suddenly it's alright.

I mean, how would have Tomoya gone on in the world where both Nagisa and Ushio died? As much as I love a happy ending it feels forced.

Overall it was a great series, loved the characters - Tomoyo's ending seemed rather sad to me, I guess I'll look into the Tomoyo After for some comfort there - and I really enjoyed it.

I laughed, I cried, I felt.

Can't ask for much more than that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understood about the ending is that once Tomoya collapsed after witnessing his only reason to live, die in front of him, he himself literally dropped dead because of the strain and grief that he felt after losing both Nagisa and Ushio. Here's where it's interesting in my opinion, because it is a fact that he is a special person that is somehow able to exist in both the "illusionary world" and the world that was shown to us the majority of the time, it's more like his feelings/wishes were able to exist as a being (i.e. Robot Tomoya) in the "illusionary world."

Now, although he died in the other world, he still existed in the "illusionary world" where Ushio existed as well and this is where his wish came true, thus creating a miracle where he was given the chance to live in happiness instead of torment. You shouldn't feel cheated considering all of what you saw did happen and even Tomoya admits to having memories of the world where he lost everything. It's a matter of accepting the belief in miracles instead of fighting the plot.

I usually like to compare this to the deja-vu's people have every now and then, what if something like this actually happens? Sometimes we feel that we've done a similar action or have said similar words before in the same exact moment but have no reasons to explain the feeling. Who knows? There are things in this world that really can't be explained, you gotta have an open mind about it

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-04, 20:36   Link #53
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Basic answer: He wouldn't. He died shortly afterwards (likely of grief, exhaustion, and exposure).
Hence, the miracle was created afterwards with both "grown-up Ushio" and Tomoya the robot. It was truly a magical moment that scene, but the montage of what happened afterwards with Tomoya and Nagisa was kind of rushed in a sense. I wanted to see more of the family rather than just a series of moving pictures depicting the family growing up fast.
Old 2009-05-04, 21:18   Link #54
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Hence, the miracle was created afterwards with both "grown-up Ushio" and Tomoya the robot. It was truly a magical moment that scene, but the montage of what happened afterwards with Tomoya and Nagisa was kind of rushed in a sense. I wanted to see more of the family rather than just a series of moving pictures depicting the family growing up fast.
Blame the Fuko moments we had during half the episode...I'm all for Fuko but I think I would have preferred more Tomoya and Nagisa

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-04, 22:28   Link #55
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understood about the ending is that once Tomoya collapsed after witnessing his only reason to live, die in front of him, he himself literally dropped dead because of the strain and grief that he felt after losing both Nagisa and Ushio. Here's where it's interesting in my opinion, because it is a fact that he is a special person that is somehow able to exist in both the "illusionary world" and the world that was shown to us the majority of the time, it's more like his feelings/wishes were able to exist as a being (i.e. Robot Tomoya) in the "illusionary world."

Now, although he died in the other world, he still existed in the "illusionary world" where Ushio existed as well and this is where his wish came true, thus creating a miracle where he was given the chance to live in happiness instead of torment. You shouldn't feel cheated considering all of what you saw did happen and even Tomoya admits to having memories of the world where he lost everything. It's a matter of accepting the belief in miracles instead of fighting the plot.

I usually like to compare this to the deja-vu's people have every now and then, what if something like this actually happens? Sometimes we feel that we've done a similar action or have said similar words before in the same exact moment but have no reasons to explain the feeling. Who knows? There are things in this world that really can't be explained, you gotta have an open mind about it
You've got a great head on your shoulders Dex.

I like to think I'm pretty open about things and I agree wholeheartedly with what you've said. I guess my disillusionment came from saying I'd be annoyed at another H20 Footprints in the Sand ending but I did enjoy the ending.

I'm craving more so I'm going to try and get the game going again.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 23:48   Link #56
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
You've got a great head on your shoulders Dex.

I like to think I'm pretty open about things and I agree wholeheartedly with what you've said. I guess my disillusionment came from saying I'd be annoyed at another H20 Footprints in the Sand ending but I did enjoy the ending.

I'm craving more so I'm going to try and get the game going again.
I'm flattered by your words but I'm glad that you have an open mind Now about the H20 Footprints in the Sand ending, it was heart breaking to see Hayami suffer through all that she went through but I believe that she was only a spirit at that time but it was an open type ending there as well. Still I wasn't all that happy about that ending, it was rather lack-luster in my opinion so I can feel your pain there

I can see where the Clannad ending would kind of be similar but Clannad focused mostly on the aspects of families and miracles rather than tragedy (e.g. H20). Having an open mind usually will allow one to enjoy this series more so than others with a more stern perspective.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-05-05 at 00:07.
Old 2009-05-05, 19:45   Link #57
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
I'm flattered by your words but I'm glad that you have an open mind Now about the H20 Footprints in the Sand ending, it was heart breaking to see Hayami suffer through all that she went through but I believe that she was only a spirit at that time but it was an open type ending there as well. Still I wasn't all that happy about that ending, it was rather lack-luster in my opinion so I can feel your pain there

I can see where the Clannad ending would kind of be similar but Clannad focused mostly on the aspects of families and miracles rather than tragedy (e.g. H20). Having an open mind usually will allow one to enjoy this series more so than others with a more stern perspective.
Open mind, very true. I mean you can't be a person who just generalizes all anime by the genre. Such as, if the anime is labeled as tragedy/romance, you can't just presume that the whole concept will revolve around death and the loss of close relationships. Allowing an open mind, allows more insight as to what Key was trying to tell it's audience, or what the characters are implying by behaving the way they normally do in each episode.
Old 2009-05-11, 21:58   Link #58
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Good lord, I might be a sucker for punishment .... they took the second series down the same path as the movie which was even more crushing; the only difference was that they tried to give the series a bittersweet ending so that it wouldn't end in total despair with the death of Nagisa and Ushio ....

I liked how they correlated that other world which had ended with the sporadic/mysterious lights in the town everyone lived in, the way they tried to scientifically link them by giving the whole argument to the most intelligent girl to explain... and also the way Nagisa and Ushio were saved with that miraculous turn of events

Needless to say this series crushed and squeezed a few years off my life .... dam I cried a lot .... and I ain't no cry baby

I loved all the happy moments and the overall realistic plot when it comes to the hardships that some couples do have to go through .... however they make the characters so cute and likable that at some point the pain becomes unbearable ...

I shall lift myself up with some action filled-meaningless anime (cough cough bleach cough naruto.. cough) or else I'll be depressed for the next few days....
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 15:25   Link #59
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

It would certainly be more impressive if they are to run a set of OVAs on different endings with different girls, each lasting around 6 episodes. It seems that the Fuji twins arc has been set, but one thing I would like to see is a Kotomi arc.

Though what I really want is a Kotomi x Kyou arc.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 22:11   Link #60
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It would certainly be more impressive if they are to run a set of OVAs on different endings with different girls, each lasting around 6 episodes. It seems that the Fuji twins arc has been set, but one thing I would like to see is a Kotomi arc.

Though what I really want is a Kotomi x Kyou arc.
That's just asking for nosebleeds

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"