AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-02, 08:07   Link #701
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
And her ability to take action. Said trait is something I think is impressive, considering I'm of the lazy type.

EDIT: After listening to the full version of the ED, I can't help but facepalm. Even the song is making me cringe.
I think the moe-kyun version of the full ED makes me cringe even more...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 08:10   Link #702
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think the moe-kyun version of the full ED makes me cringe even more...
This,as much as I'm a HanaKana fanboy having the song sung that way is just weird.
Old 2013-09-02, 09:49   Link #703
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
This,as much as I'm a HanaKana fanboy having the song sung that way is just weird.
That said, Kitta Izumi's performance of the full ED is just further evidence that she's the female seiyuu of the year for her work in Watamote.
Old 2013-09-02, 10:59   Link #704
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
That said, Kitta Izumi's performance of the full ED is just further evidence that she's the female seiyuu of the year for her work in Watamote.
Indeed. I was thinking about it and can't mention out of my head another voice I love as much this season. Maybe some of the guys from ServantXService (Chihaya and the rabbit boss first). But Tomoko's voice is just perfect. Her range of emotions is spectacular.

On a different and very silly topic: I'm watching The World God Only Knows these days, and can't help but think how freaking hilarious would be to see Keima and Tomoko interact . If someone will ever write a good crossover fanfiction on the topic, I'd dig it .
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 11:19   Link #705
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

I could see if a loose soul possess Tomoko it will be Keima easiest but most scary conquest for him.
Old 2013-09-02, 13:00   Link #706
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
I could see if a loose soul possess Tomoko it will be Keima easiest but most scary conquest for him.
I wonder if he'd even be willing to face that challenge.

Quote:
I agree. The way she uses her voice is seriously impressive. You can feel her despair all the way through the song.
Old 2013-09-02, 13:31   Link #707
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 9:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 13:31   Link #708
Utsuro no Hako

Kitta Izumi's version of the OP may be more appropriate for the series, but it's the HanaKana one that's going on my iPod.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 14:16   Link #709
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Send a message via MSN to Apache Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to Apache Thunder
I don't know if this is weird or not, but I find Tomoko most cute when she's got a semi-psychotic smile on her face. Like in the OP when she is holding up that sign with her name on it. God help me if there's ever an episode where she tries to actually play a psycho in one of her hair brained attempts at getting noticed. Because it's the one thing that might actually work for her... :P

That and when ever she is in super shy mode trying her best to talk to a stranger or something. The way her voice suddenly gets soft combined with the stuttering makes her extra cute.

She's only ugly when she attempts to be cute on purpose. Like in episode 1 that almost made me want to go find the brain bleach. She's best when she is herself.

I have cameras in your head!
Apache Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 01:02   Link #710
erhyka

Episode 9 is pretty much a no cringe episode.
The cringe level might have gone down, but the depressing level went up.
However the cat scene added some much needed relief.

I always get pretty emotional when Tomoko starts crying and she does so several times in this episode.
erhyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 04:29   Link #711
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

First part was hilarious until the "crap the sun's going down"
Last part was heartbreaking , ofc the cat saved the day.
Mokochi , you can do it !
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 06:57   Link #712
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ep.9

summer almost over for tomoko give plan movie watch with yuu but not happen but turned into visit to cafe where yuu is working to have cake.

& after seeing tomoko ask her mom to want work on cake yet she did in a cake factory give only lasted a day on it.

so now summer almost over time to clean give tomoko going why me give way she is also blah on her brother cue tomoko's mom WRATH on her to clean now!!!

so after doing junk toss item & shell bugs checking then go outside have ramen cause see shoot stars make a wish for someone to watch the stars with tomoko.

& yet it happen give it was cat as company to see stars yet it was male.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 09:08   Link #713
HandofFate

such a hard working mom she has
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 09:23   Link #714
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Watamote this week showed off one of the things it's incredibly good at. That is, making me really hate Tomoko and then, at the drop of a hat, making my heart break for her.

I kid you not, my heart absolutely broke for Tomoko in that last chapter - she was just so desperate for something so simple and elemental that everyone should be entitled to, and that's a connection with other people - yet she's unable to make it. When she sat there on that bench slurping instant ramen and watching the meteor shower, alone, it might just have been the saddest moment in anime this year - and I think that's because she was so acutely aware of why it was so sad. I've praised (and rightly so, I'll add) episode 8 of Uchouten Kazoku for being incredibly emotionally transcendent and heartbreaking. But the difference is that even as the Shimogamo family was dealing with their terrible moment, they had each other - that's the thing that sustains them through everything. Who does Tomoko have, really?
Old 2013-09-03, 10:01   Link #715
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^She has Yuu, Kii-chan and her parents. That's better than for a lot of people. Me, for example.
Old 2013-09-03, 10:10   Link #716
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

One of the main problems for these type of people is that they do, actually, have. They either don't see them or push them away. Tomoko is a prime example of someone who can have what she's looking for if she wasn;t so warped by negative experiences.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 11:14   Link #717
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
^She has Yuu, Kii-chan and her parents. That's better than for a lot of people. Me, for example.
Pfft who needs family and friends when you have the animesuki community!
Old 2013-09-03, 11:20   Link #718
liro
Super Driver

Fortunately the latest episode wasn't made cringe like the other episodes. The part when Tomoko works at the cake factory really made me laugh, oh the reality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Pfft who needs family and friends when you have the animesuki community!
That sound depressing...but true.
Old 2013-09-03, 13:01   Link #719
sikvod00

Come let big Papa give you a hug, Kanon.... I'm talking about Blaat of course. We can shake hands.
But seriously, I suppose that is one of the reasons you cannot sympathize with her at all: she has the people/resources around her who do care and can help, unlike others, but she takes it for granted? I totally understand that.

Some points I want to make:

It's so obvious that the reason Tomoko has trouble making friends and being sociable has nothing to do with her appearance or the clothes she wears. Just look at her brother, who has the same sour, inhospitable face. So what's the difference between them? His behavior and attitude. He didn't have to change the way he looked. Likewise, Tomoko does not need to look like Yuu (which is impossible anyway).

Izumi Kitta was really working her voice acting skills during Tomoko's delusional scene this episode. It's no surprise that she also played Cordelia in Futari wa Milky Holmes (the slapstick comedic versions), another neurotic character who had moments of delusions. It would be an injustice if she didn't get more notable roles after this performance.

I'm generally against parents hitting their kids, but Tomoko perfectly demonstrates the times when it's justified to get "touched." I'd like to see more scenes from the father though. I suppose it's easier to view him in a more positive light than the mother, because his only interaction was one "good" deed. But it's not like he has to deal with Tomoko's nonsense 24/7 during the summer, so.... yeah.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2013-09-03 at 14:08. Reason: my thoughts on the ep.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 13:19   Link #720
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Tomoko, what has the world done to you to make you change from a kindhearted little girl to what you are now? It's like a switch was flipped somewhere between elementary and middle school, that's how much she's changed. I wonder if Tomoki has asked himself this question as well. What happened to her that made her change from a dependable older sister to a lazy bum?

I agree with Enzo, most of this episode was spent making me really resent Tomoko for acting like an ungrateful brat towards her family, but in the end, realizing how lonely she is made me want to give her a big hug and tell her she'll be okay eventually. And the part where the cat came up to her during her lonesome stargazing really tug on my heartstrings. That's the third show this season that has done that to me.

Of course, part of her misery stems from her being utterly delusional and devoid of common sense due to her social awkwardness. The part-time job, for example, was merely because she imagined working at a fancy restaurant and even meeting the love of her life (who apparently loves licking her clean ). Partially from personal experience, I could see that not ending well (the very first job I had after graduating lasted only 6 hours, because I got bored of how monotonous it was).

The only way I can see her breaking out of her shell forever is if she were to meet a like-minded boy, perhaps one who is close to being as socially awkward as she is. She needs someone to hang out with, to talk about stuff they share a passion for, and who will eventually come to (make) love (to) her. Maybe Yuu can help her find someone (though she's probably too naive to realize her friend needs help).

Tags
coming of age, dark comedy, high school, satire, slice of life