AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

View Poll Results: Valvrave the Liberator - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 5 5.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 9.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 27.38%
6 out of 10 : Average 18 21.43%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 5.95%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-28, 00:36   Link #1
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Valvrave the Liberator - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Valvrave the Liberator ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Old 2013-12-28, 00:42   Link #2
shadow1296

7 out of 10, it had a decent story despite some plot threads left unresolved, it had some good characters the best being l-elf because from what i saw he had the most development, the mecha battles were good and theyt didn't seem just like mecha fanservice like some of the Majestic Prince mecha battles, and i may watch this series again some time in the future

Last edited by shadow1296; 2013-12-28 at 01:08. Reason: correcting mistakes
Old 2013-12-28, 01:19   Link #3
Irenesharda

I am going to give the series a 9/10. Despite several plot holes, hokey writing and such, I enjoyed myself immensely with this series. I watched this series with anticipation every week for the two seasons it was on, and I loved the twist, turns, and the characters. L-elf was one of the best mecha characters I have seen in a very long time, and even Haruto wasn't too bad.

The animation was good, the plot was pretty great, the soundtrack was okay, the voices great, I had a great time. I hope to revisit the Valvrave world again.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-12-28, 02:27   Link #4
MeggieMay

I'm giving the series a 8/10. I had a good time watching it, even if it didn't always make a lot of sense. I don't think Valvrave is going to be remembered as well as some mecha shows of the last 15 years in the long haul but it was still fun to watch it as it unfolded
Old 2013-12-28, 02:34   Link #5
Key Board
Carbon

S1 would be 8/10
S2 would be 7/10
Conclusion would we 6/10

Overall I'd say.. 7.5/10
I'd it's mostly wasted potential, but even so, it had it's charms

Still one of the more memorable mecha shows, and I doubt BuddyComplex will be even half as interesting

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-12-28, 02:40   Link #6
zztop

Came for the amazing opening songs, stayed for the unfolding conspiracy and Katsura Hoshino's lovely designs.

The show definitely succeeded in making me anticipate each weekly episode, and even though the ending is rather open ended, I still enjoyed it.

Wouldn't mind a behind the scenes interview for BD.

And did I mention I loved the songs? Top 10 hits in Japan too!!

8/10
Old 2013-12-28, 08:58   Link #7
Fjoergyn

With so much potential but wasted, however L-Elf is a good character well developed. If I'd had about 50 chapters maybe the series would have been more balanced.

Always expect the characters to interact more with each other, as a group of friends, but it never happened

The end does not help to have a more positive impression, but I had fun, I hope you have more in the future.

7/10
Old 2013-12-28, 10:06   Link #8
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

1/10, it was bad from a dull and insulting perspective, the negatives outweighed the positives, it endlessly undermined itself, and so much wasted potential came from it you could make an entirely different series.
Old 2013-12-28, 10:09   Link #9
xl_Legit_lx
Destruction by Carnage
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via MSN to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via Yahoo to xl_Legit_lx
Animation Quality: 8
Voice Actors: 7
Script: 7
Soundtrack: 8
Editing: 9
Enjoyment: 9
Emotional Involvement: 10

Averages to roughly an 8 overall. I would say that fits the series for someone me since I enjoyed it.
Old 2013-12-28, 10:45   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It was a very fun ride. It was the anime equivalent of a great page-turner that continually left you in high anticipation for more. But the thing with a lot of "great page-turners" is that they achieve that through sensationalism and unpredictability, and folding that all into an ultimately tight and coherent overarching plot can be very tough. When a show pulls that off, you have something truly masterful (like the first season of Code Geass), but when a "great page-turner" falls a bit short, you have a great ride where the destination just doesn't live up to the journey. And that was sadly the case with Valvrave.

So on the whole I'd give it 8/10 - My standard rating for a show that's solidly above-average entertainment value but falls short of true greatness.

I think what I'll remember most about Valvrave is the amusing Archie Comics-esque quality to its cast. Shouko and Saki competing over Haruto honestly reminded me of Betty and Veronica competing over Archie. And the wider Valvrave cast is very quirky, almost defined by stereotype roles. You have the nerds (Akira, Otomaya), the jock (Thunder), and the bourgeois preppy kids (Satomi, Takahi, their entourages). In some ways, Valvrave is like the Japanese mecha version of Archie, and that often brought a smile to my face. And yet, while its characters always stayed true to their quirky teenage stereotypes, they also managed to be fleshed out beyond it, feeling more like real people by the end of the show. Satomi and Takahi in particular grew a lot over the full course of the anime, I think.
Old 2013-12-28, 10:51   Link #11
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Tough one to rate, as I did enjoy it while it was ongoing and wanted to know what was going to happen.
But the writing ranges from godawful to somewhat decent over to terribad and it's ultimately a deeply dissatisfying watch and a bit of an insult to one's intelligence.
It's a bit like fast food. It's inexplicably nice while you eat it, even though your brain knows it's just a load of crap. And once you've finished eating, you kind of regret you did. And muse about the wasted potential of that meal. It could've been so nutritious.

That's how Valvrave feels to me. If I had to give it a tagline, it would be:
Valvrave: All that wasted potential.

The music is great though.
All in all, while it was a mixed bag, if it comes down to it, this is not a series I would pick up again, be interested in any future material, recommend to anyone or consider purchasing.

I'll go with 5.5-6/10 for effort.
Old 2013-12-28, 11:50   Link #12
II Maestro

9/10

The overall story was great but there are plot holes that haven't resolved and left unanswered before the story ended.

Well I already expected Haruto who is the MC that he is going to die knowing who the writer is and judging by his previous anime story.

Hito is the only mecha that were added with new equipment, The other mecha are also very nice despite not upgrading and not adding new weapons, It would've improve the battle scenes if new equipment and weapon are added just like other mecha anime.
Old 2013-12-28, 12:41   Link #13
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
7/10. It's a B-movie tier kind of series, nothing wrong about liking those. I liked it more than Code Geass that rubbed me wrong in more ways than one.
Old 2013-12-28, 12:45   Link #14
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Last few eps were pretty dumb, but the corniness of the earlier eps make up for it.
Old 2013-12-28, 12:49   Link #15
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
It's a B-movie tier kind of series, nothing wrong about liking those
I've seen hundreds of B-Movies, if it is that kind of tier it certainly isn't of the Roger Corman, Syfy original, or Asylum variety. Feels more like a Z-movie with an A-movie budget.
Old 2013-12-28, 13:03   Link #16
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I do watch B movies, but you don't see me telling how many I did watch.
Old 2013-12-28, 14:13   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
7/10. It's a B-movie tier kind of series, nothing wrong about liking those. I liked it more than Code Geass that rubbed me wrong in more ways than one.
Yeah, Valvrave's writing quality is comparable to that of a 90s popcorn flick.
Old 2013-12-28, 14:54   Link #18
Destined_Fate

Painful. The rushed ending and nothing really resolved as well as sadness for nearly everyone ruined this series. Saki's treatment reminds of Zessica's treatment of Aquarion Evol which isn't a good thing.

1/10

A bad ending can ruin an entire series. Just like how Mass Effect 3 has completely harmed the Mass Effect brand a great deal due to its Ending.

Last edited by Destined_Fate; 2013-12-28 at 16:44.
Old 2013-12-28, 15:45   Link #19
Raxnom
気疲れ

8/10

This series had so much potential. I really felt that behind the anime there was truly a story that would be all kinds of awesome, if only I had more episodes. We have so many side-stories, additional content like manga, drama cd and so on. I believe it its biggest problem was that it suffered from poor execution. All Valvrave pilots were interesting in their own way, had personality. But because of limited screen time anime could only show Haruto and L-elf relationship and had rushed ending. If it had 50ep, this story would truly shine.

Gonna try read Light Novels when they come out.
Old 2013-12-28, 16:15   Link #20
Thess

I gave it a 6/10 to be fair and neutral without taking into account my enjoyment factor (that would be 9/10). It's one of those "it's so bad, that's good" series with less than desirable scriptwriting and sometimes lacking animation. I think it's strong points was the music, some characters and the visual designs.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Closed Thread