Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2014-10-19, 09:32   Link #221
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It has nothing to do with what's popular now. They're just following the same old formula. If anything, the problem with Macross is lack of innovation. It's almost always the same. One male pilot as MC, one or two idols as love interest. It's gotten old. They should change things around imo. Make the pilot MC a girl, and the idol a guy, for example.
It's things like this that makes me appreciate Macross 7 even more. Basara and his band is certainly irreplacable now that they don't seem to want to make another band as the music source. Still, it's possible that they will take into consideration the popularity of Idol series with a group of female singers. So maybe there's a possibility that they'll use that. At least it's gonna break the formula a bit.

Quote:
We don't even need a love triangle. The best part of Macross is the mecha fights and the music after all. The love triangle bs is usually the annoying part.
Fun fact: a number of my friends said that SDF started to get really interesting after they introduce Misa as the third party in a love triangle. Considering what they watched before SDF (super robots like Go-Lion, Gaiking, Voltus, Getta Robo, etc), they've never seen a mecha series delve so deeply into love-triangle romance. I guess it was a nice surprise for them and got them hooked .
Old 2014-10-19, 10:31   Link #222
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
1967? Wow...that's only 8 years after Frontier was set...
You mean 2067, 1967 is a century before.

Also, am I the only one who snickered at seeing the tentative title? It's so descriptive of what Macross is.

I mean, DELTA?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 10:34   Link #223
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Other than the obvious there (*snicker*), it could also designate the fourth Macross TV series.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 10:40   Link #224
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Other than the obvious there (*snicker*), it could also designate the fourth Macross TV series.
Wow... That went right over my head. Thanks for pointing it out!
The Hory Froating Head does love some ambiguity, now doesn't he?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 11:18   Link #225
Frontier

I'm fine with the series continuing with Idols, since they're as integral part of what makes Macross Macross (or at least the concept of songstresses) as the Mecha, music, and love triangles are in my opinion. Sure, something different thrown into the traditional formula would be interesting to see, but that doesn't mean a series going in a similar direction as past shows can't be enjoyable and fun to watch, or even prevent innovation. It's all in the presentation, I feel .

And I know I'd personally be pretty disappointed if there wasn't a love triangle, but that's just me .

So at least one of the heroines is going to be an Idol, and likely one-side of the Delta's (heh ) triangle, though I wonder what the other heroine might be like? It will be interesting to see how Kawamori and Satelight working on AKB0048, and how big AKB48 have become, might effect the new Macross and how the new Idol is presented. Also, while much less likely, I wonder if there might be some White Album 2 influences on the new series considering Satelight's recent work on the anime? Hopefully they can better manage the budget for this compared to WA2 or even Nobunaga The Fool, both for the music and Mecha sequences .

Considering how I'm wary of Kawamori touching the series composition, or at least being too heavily involved in it, I wonder if Fumiaki Maruto might be available to write it. Be interesting to see him write something more action-oriented plus the romance element. Well, either him or Mari Okada, but I know who I'd prefer to see writing it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
1967? Wow...that's only 8 years after Frontier was set...
Considering Frontier's lasting power, I imagine Sheryl and Ranka are still pretty big. The new main idol, or possibly idols, will probably have their work cut out for them both in-universe and out .
Old 2014-10-19, 11:29   Link #226
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
You mean 2067, 1967 is a century before.

Also, am I the only one who snickered at seeing the tentative title? It's so descriptive of what Macross is.

I mean, DELTA?
Yeah...thanks. I obviously need to go to bed...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 11:33   Link #227
kuromitsu

On the one hand, I'm looking forward to every new Macross title. On the other hand, I'm so not looking forward to the ugly ship wars...

(But if there must be a love triangle, I kind of hope that like Macross 7 and Plus this show will also have a one girl-two guys setup.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 11:33   Link #228
Bogart
Banned

I might consider watching if Ranka and Sheryl have long since dumped Alto and co-habitat prior to a come back tour.
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 11:41   Link #229
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Fun fact: a number of my friends said that SDF started to get really interesting after they introduce Misa as the third party in a love triangle.
Perhaps what they liked wasn't the love triangle but the fact that Misa was a more likable and interesting character than Minmay.

I do agree with kuromitsu that if there has to be a love triangle, a one girl-two guys would be a better choice.
Old 2014-10-19, 11:45   Link #230
Bogart
Banned

Or how about a girl vs. being a fighter pilot? It's your mecha or me!
Old 2014-10-19, 11:45   Link #231
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Perhaps what they liked wasn't the love triangle but the fact that Misa was a more likable and interesting character than Minmay.
Well, one thing does not preclude the other. Speaking from personal experience, here...

Old 2014-10-19, 11:46   Link #232
Darthtabby

Man, it's been so long since the supposed initial announcement that I had been questioning whether this project was even real. Maybe there's hope that the second season of Hataraku Maou-Sama is real as well.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with what's popular now. They're just following the same old formula. If anything, the problem with Macross is lack of innovation. It's almost always the same. One male pilot as MC, one or two idols as love interest. It's gotten old. They should change things around imo. Make the pilot MC a girl, and the idol a guy, for example. We don't even need a love triangle. The best part of Macross is the mecha fights and the music after all. The love triangle bs is usually the annoying part.
It's Macross. There's going to be a love triangle.

I'll agree with you that I'd like them to mix things up a bit with the composition this time around but I hardly think the past triangles have all been the same. The professional relationship between Sheryl and Ranka in Frontier was a new wrinkle for instance.

Ultimately I think the execution is going to be the most important thing with the love triangle. Same with the idol part -anime has too many idols these days, but if they make her really awesome I'll probably end up liking her. Sheryl is going to be a heck of a tough act to follow though.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 11:47   Link #233
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
Heh. That would be epic.

Old 2014-10-19, 11:49   Link #234
Kazu-kun

Perhaps they should make the idol the main character (and focus of the show) and the pilot just a love interest.

And idols can fight. Kawamori himself proved that with AKB0048. In fact, that series felt a lot more Macross to me than Frontier ever did.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-10-19 at 12:05.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 12:00   Link #235
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
Or a love triangle between a girl, a pilot and his mecha... /getting Yukikaze flashbacks
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 12:05   Link #236
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
A female ace pilot is a okay with me. They ought to change some of the dynamics, but it's me opinion.

Good to see Tak again.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 12:12   Link #237
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
A female ace pilot is a okay with me. They ought to change some of the dynamics, but it's me opinion.
Go see Macross II!!!

Old 2014-10-19, 12:30   Link #238
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I did before. Like I said, I don't care if they stick with the same formula. But the production crew needs to make it more distinct from Frontier.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 13:04   Link #239
Darthtabby

I'd actually quite like to see a female ace as one of the leads as well, assuming they're going for the traditional route with one guy and two girls. Which they might or might not be. Heck, at this point we don't even know for sure that the singer girl is going to be part of the main love triangle though its probably a pretty safe bet she will be.

I really hope the love triangle is well handled this time around though. I want to see a close match between two strong contenders that is ultimately settled decisively. (Yeah, I know, pulling that off is a tall order.)

One interesting thing about Frontier is that all three leads had some kind of connection to arts/culture. People tend to think of Alto primarily as a pilot but he was an actor as well. I know the major reason that was done in Frontier was because Kawamori wanted a male lead who wouldn't be overshadowed by the girls, but given the importance of culture in the Macross verse I wonder if they'll continue to try to give all three leads a connection to it.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 13:21   Link #240
Bogart
Banned

Alto was overshadowed rather spectacularly by the girls. His whole actor thing was so stupid. Especially since it meant him dressing up in drag. Personally it became impossible for me to believe a single goddamn thing he said, since he was such a gifted actor that he could even bullshit himself and everything he said or did could be chalked up to him playing a part.

A professional liar. I honestly don't know why people want him to be shipped with anyone.