AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-10-04, 12:32   Link #61
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
Featured the Zaku II Kai design that put all other Zakus (excluding Goufs) to shame including the wannabe Hi-Zacks.
Only in terms of thruster power and acceleration. However, it greatly paid for it by halving its operation time. This is something the Hizack is far superior in and even various earlier Zaku IIs like the High Mobility Types.

Quote:
2 actions of the characters would seem stupid (to me intially anyway) unless you thought about it.

Why did the kid help the enemy? Well he's a kid who never thought far (yeah lots of adults nowadays have the same problem). Loved it when Barnie told him he would be executed for being a traitor and seeing the kid's look when he finally realises it not just a game.
Well, 0080 makes it pretty hard to tell who is the "good" or "bad" guys really since, like 08th MS Team and others, not everything is so black and white. Just because you're in the Federation, that doesn't automatically make you "good" or "right" (as we see with Zeta and ZZ) and just because you're a Zeon, that doesn't mean you're "bad" or an "enemy". It can depend on one's point of view. Many examples of Federation officers being corrupt and Zeon being good and decent and vice-versa.

Just as you said, the kids, including Al for most of the time, didn't think of war as anything more than a game, so just because Bernie was a Zeon pilot, Al didn't think much of it just because it was "cool" that he was piloting Mobile Suits and was in the war.

Quote:
Why did Barnie have to fight the Gundam? He thought removal of that would remove any need to destroy the colony since he had no idea it would not help at all and in fact would be detrimental as the Gundam suit would not be avalable to defend the colony if it was damaged/destroyed. Also most people would never think of attacking their own ships plus he would be swiss cheese before reaching anyway.
As said, Bernie had no clue that the threat of the colony being shot by nukes was neutralized earlier, but he was also still simply completing the Cyclops Team's mission of destroying the Gundam as that was always their task.

Quote:
Other than that the actions taken by the characters are pretty logical (including Barnie's attempt to run away from his conscience) and for Barnie to trap the forest before engaging showed some intelligence. Both the girl and Barnie looked liked complete fools but with the fog of war, that's just what would happen.

Good storyline. Very real robot
We can't forget that neither one of them were ace pilots at all either. Bernie was simply your average Zeon pilot (at the time, the Zaku II Kai was merely a redesigned Zaku II until it was retconned into an entirely different MS. Same with the GM Command / Space Type and Gelgoog Jager, and such) and Christina was merely a test pilot (she herself could barely handle the Alex as it was as it was meant for Amuro).
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 14:52   Link #62
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
We can't forget that neither one of them were ace pilots at all either. Bernie was simply your average Zeon pilot (at the time, the Zaku II Kai was merely a redesigned Zaku II until it was retconned into an entirely different MS. Same with the GM Command / Space Type and Gelgoog Jager, and such) and Christina was merely a test pilot (she herself could barely handle the Alex as it was as it was meant for Amuro).
The guy/girl piloting the Gelgoog Jager was a beast.
Old 2010-10-05, 00:20   Link #63
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

I shed so many Manly Tears fro this series.. *sniff* damn
Old 2010-10-05, 12:36   Link #64
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonar Fan View Post
I shed so many Manly Tears fro this series.. *sniff* damn
As did I. It's story is one of the best of any anime I've watched, let alone Gundam series.
Old 2010-10-05, 12:42   Link #65
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

It's definitely one of those Gundam series where it requires the audience to really appreciate plot and character development OVER huge, flashy MS battles. (And even though the MS battles are few and between, they're still excellent.)

It's why many Gundam fans I've seen that merely started out "Gundam" with Wing, SEED, SEED Destiny, and/or 00 and/or have never seen the older UC series have a hard time really appreciating it (besides the "bad" animation of older series' =\ )
Old 2010-10-05, 12:47   Link #66
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Only in terms of thruster power and acceleration. However, it greatly paid for it by halving its operation time. This is something the Hizack is far superior in and even various earlier Zaku IIs like the High Mobility Types.
Sorry should have noted it as in the aesthetic sense. More detailed than the Zaku II (standard) and still carrying the distinctive Zaku character of the cyclops eye and shield/spiked shoulder look.

Yes its subjective, but having gotten various Zaku models over the years, the Kai is still the best looker (for me)
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 13:36   Link #67
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Yeah, that's something OVAs seem to almost always have over longer, standard anime series of the same name; much more distinct and detailed art, "prettier" than normal and all, lol.

The 08th MS Team, 0083, CCA, and F91 were the same way as was Endless Waltz compared to Gundam Wing.

EDIT: Gundam Unicorn too.
Old 2011-01-22, 05:00   Link #68
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Finished the series yesterday. It had quite an impact on me.

The story was pretty good, but it´s real strongpoint were the really likeable characters. Especially Bernie. Never felt so bad about the death of character, because in the end it was so utterly pointless.

The Ms battle´s were few but really well done. The only fight that dissapointed me was Kaempfer VS Alex. I expected more from it.

In generally I love to watch flashy MS battles, that´s one of the reasons I love Gundam so much. But what´s more important for me are the characters. If I don´t like them, I have a hard time liking a show. This OVA showed, how that´s done and proves again, that you don´t need the best and newest animation to enjoy an older show.

Get´s 9 ouf 10 from.
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 06:20   Link #69
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 View Post
Never felt so bad about the death of character, because in the end it was so utterly pointless.
That's what is meant to make it sad. In war people's lives are thrown away for nothing.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 07:34   Link #70
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
That's what is meant to make it sad. In war people's lives are thrown away for nothing.
In this case it was especially tragic and that´s what it makes it the saddest death in Gundam History in my books. Of course they were plenty others sad deaths, but Bernie´s touched me the most.
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 12:22   Link #71
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

This short story is like a train wreck that’s about to happen before your very eyes. Except the train starts off slow and only builds up momentum so slowly and gradually that you can’t really tell how much momentum it’s actually built. And then suddenly you realise it’s about to crash but there’s nothing you can do but hope and pray because there’s already too much momentum that you never realised it built up until it’s too late. You hope and pray for a miracle. You’re so sure a miracle will happen. You put all your hope into it, willing a miracle to happen. The train won’t crash, the train won’t crash, the train won’t crash...

...and then it crashes...

This was the second Gundam series, I watched. The first four episodes are mostly a set up to the final two so there’s not much I can say about them. The final two I can say plenty. What happens to Wiseman is just horrible. It’s the sheer pointlessness of his death that’s galling. The fact that it could’ve all been prevented had he just been that little bit luckier. It’s a sobering thought. Wiseman was a genuinely nice guy and it showed clearly by what he said at the end on the tape, when he asks Alfred not to hate the Federation for killing him. That alone speaks volumes about his character. You can also see the effect the tragedy had on Alfred. After the whole thing is over it’s like he’s lost his innocence and that’s just as heart crushing. No kid should have to learn a lesson like that in such an utterly brutal fashion.

Probably the most emotional moment for me was when Christina said she’d miss Wiseman, not realising that she killed him and Alfred trying to hold back tears. It’s a great side story that probably says more about the evils of war than the original Gundam series.

Overall: 8/10
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 16:17   Link #72
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It’s a great side story that probably says more about the evils of war than the original Gundam series.
Nice review, but I totally disagree with that statement... In your MSG review you said you didn't watch the TV series - so I don't see how you could even make that statement.

The MSG movie trilogy cut out quite a few of the mini-stories that where prevalent in the TV series, I guess because they were mostly fillers that didn't influence the overall plot, but there were both similarly tragic and compelling, and did as much to show the evils of war as 0080 did.
Old 2012-02-14, 14:37   Link #73
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Tears were shed at the end

Chris: I wanted to say goodbye to Bernie before I leave

*insert what Alfred said here*

Me: Q_Q

They could have gotten married or went out if they were not enemies.

Bernie was an amazing character such a bro.

Outside of Bernie's and Alfred's development not much really happened until the last three episodes so 7/10. I enjoyed myself and this was a nice sidestory, but I was sorta expecting more. xD

Well now on to my 0083 DVD collection.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 15:43   Link #74
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloko vi Britannia View Post
They could have gotten married or went out if they were not enemies.

Bernie was an amazing character such a bro.

Outside of Bernie's and Alfred's development not much really happened until the last three episodes so 7/10. I enjoyed myself and this was a nice sidestory, but I was sorta expecting more. xD
Yeah, it’s such a tragedy and it reminds us how grim and bitter war is. I also like this side story coz of its low-key nature. It spent more time with character interactions than actual battles and also focus on a civillian child’s POV which makes it unique.
Old 2012-02-14, 16:02   Link #75
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

And even then, what few MS battles there were, they were still good MS battles.

Newer and more modern viewers today, without a more open mind anyway, probably wouldn't enjoy 0080 very much BECAUSE of the focus being more on the people rather than super-robot, action-packed, unbalanced, overpowered MS battles.

But yeah, the focus was really primarily on Al who went from being like any other kid who didn't know better, thinking war was like some kind of game and the world being black and white with the Federation as the "good guys" and anything Zeon being the "bad guys" to slowly learning that the world isn't so black and white after meeting Bernie to learning just how horrible and tragic war really is with his death and seeing Christina as the test pilot for the Gundam Alex.
Old 2012-02-16, 17:06   Link #76
Elo the Blue

Quote:
And even then, what few MS battles there were, they were still good MS battles.

Newer and more modern viewers today, without a more open mind anyway, probably wouldn't enjoy 0080 very much BECAUSE of the focus being more on the people rather than super-robot, action-packed, unbalanced, overpowered MS battles.

But yeah, the focus was really primarily on Al who went from being like any other kid who didn't know better, thinking war was like some kind of game and the world being black and white with the Federation as the "good guys" and anything Zeon being the "bad guys" to slowly learning that the world isn't so black and white after meeting Bernie to learning just how horrible and tragic war really is with his death and seeing Christina as the test pilot for the Gundam Alex.
Agreed. I loved the battle outside the colony with the Gelgoog Jager going to work.
Old 2012-02-17, 03:12   Link #77
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope View Post
Yeah, Federation ships had already destroyed the Zeon ship(s) enroute to the colony. I think the little kid´s father was onboard one of the ships that did it or saw the battle or something like that?

0080 was alright, unfortunately for me I didn´t like the little kid and he was basically the main character...
If you don't like Al then I think it is safe to say you don't understand 0080.

He grew from a selfish little brat who thinks that war and Mobile Suit are the coolest thing in the world and hopes that war would break out so he could skip school, to being able to understand that people die in wars, there are both good and bad people on either side, and even told a lie so Chris won't have to know that she killed Bernie and he himself hold to the burden of all that sadness, and he was just an eight year old. Al is freaking more mature than Shiro from 08th team. He is also a reflection of some of the military-obsessed Gundam fans who kept missing the point of Gundams - it's not about the MS but people in the war, it's a wake up call to all those fans.

0080 is THE best OVA Gundam work, no other OVA even hopes to comes close to the real reflection of war than this masterpiece. Yes not even Unicorn because Unicorn goes down the standard pacifism BS line.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 13:35   Link #78
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Actually, The 08th MS Team and Unicorn are more in-between by bringing up truths from both sides; both pacifism and war. It shows that taking the road of peace is a very hard and difficult path to take and will probably be even harder overall than the road of peace as people like Shiro, Banagher, and others have to face those facts and see that they can't and won't be able to save everybody, no matter how much they may wish it and that some people may not even WANT to be saved. (Unlike a certain "Jesus" character we know XP, lol)

It also shows just how ingrained revenge can be, especially because of the results of war. (Unofficially, as it's a manga) Even as far as the UC 0110s, you STILL have remnants of Zeon on Mars that attempt to finish what the Principality of Zeon started in 0079 and still hold onto those ideals.
Old 2012-02-17, 22:05   Link #79
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Except the problem with 08th MS Team was that Shiro shows himself to be a hypocrite as all he wanted to save was just Aina - he wasn't there to fight for pacifism, even though that's what he claims to do and said he wants to come to an understanding with the Zeon, by that he only really means Aina.

As for Unicorn, Banagher was later elevated to Deux Machina level with his complete union with the Unicorn Gundam and turned Kira Yamato of SEED Destiny.

Neither of these works shows the real conflict between pacifism and war or how "hard" it is for the pacifist to win (the stories both end up giving them gobs of power or friendship or whatever to fulfill their wishes), they are just mecha porn as far as I'm concerned, there's no real message in these two works compared with 0080.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 06:49   Link #80
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Please don't put out spoilers for Gundam Unicorn, which hasn't finished airing yet, so easily. If you really have to, put them under spoiler tags.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote