AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Sora Kake

Notices

Old 2009-01-16, 22:37   Link #261
Midonin
Last Engage

"What are you?"
"Do you humans know what you are?"

Sure, it may have been a joke by Leopard, but the insane ones are more often than not more observant they may appear. The armored android, the thing with Nami in the OP (Identical twin? Otherdimensional counterpart? Metaphysical dark side?) show the signs of something on the way. That said, I like this show. (For now,) it's just fun to watch. The retro-futuristic style, the mecha, Leopard...

I look forward to seeing where it goes. Because going by the OP, Leopard will soon be able to shoot his gun. (Curse you, Freudian subtext.)
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 22:47   Link #262
Molenir

Ok, I admit, when I started watching episode 1, and the girl bolted, and the critter came out of the robot... I was very intrigued. When they were driving along, and to escape they went off the road and into space, less then 5 minutes into the show, and I knew this was one I would definitely be watching. I think thats a first for me. Having watched the first 2 episodes now, I'll admit it, I'm hooked. This definitely looks like the funnest of the new shows this season. Still can't beat Skip Beat or Toradora, but then, give it time. All shows have their own charm.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 22:52   Link #263
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Sounds like this show has the potential to start its own sub forum lol

We should start getting more people to watch and post here. 86 pages more to a subforum, go go!
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 00:12   Link #264
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

I watched the first one, and was pleasantly surprised...should really get to watching the second one, but so much backlog of other things to watch. ._.

That said, hmm when Nami goes psycho mode.
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 01:58   Link #265
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
"What are you?"
"Do you humans know what you are?"

Sure, it may have been a joke by Leopard, but the insane ones are more often than not more observant they may appear. The armored android, the thing with Nami in the OP (Identical twin? Otherdimensional counterpart? Metaphysical dark side?) show the signs of something on the way. That said, I like this show. (For now,) it's just fun to watch. The retro-futuristic style, the mecha, Leopard...
I, for one, expected Akiha to go "Don't ask me such big questions so suddenly! I'm not that good in school!" XD

But yeah...if I'm not mistaken, we got some Mai Nakahara in episode 2, with that lady who looked a little like Akiha and had earrings that were forearms.

But at this point, I'm wondering how long this series is going to be; originally, I had thought it was going to be 13 episodes, but going by the pacing of the first two episodes, as well as my realization that most Sunrise shows I know of have been 25 episodes in length (at least, individual seasons have been), I'm thinking it might end up being longer. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 06:32   Link #266
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Heh, watching another Ali Project OP, I'm fully convinced that Ali Project never follows the conventions of music, ever. Which is what makes them cool in my book.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 07:37   Link #267
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Heh, watching another Ali Project OP, I'm fully convinced that Ali Project never follows the conventions of music, ever. Which is what makes them cool in my book.
Seek medical attention. Ali Project and cool music in the same sentence? ><

Each song they do is like the same beat and off-key notes every. single. time.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 08:00   Link #268
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I guess all other singer and their bands must also be totally uncool then, 99% of all music out there are well keyed and melodic.

The thing here is style and style can be determined by many different forms. Ali Project's style is just too great because they choose to have the really unique 'off-key' music as their style.

One thing is that the Japanese music industry works heavily on the unique style of each singer or band. Because they have so many musicians in a tiny country, there is no way to sing songs and not sound like someone else. And this gave rise to groups thriving due to having extremely unique styles and sticking to it.

You can easily tell the songs of groups like JAM Project, Round Table Feat. Nino, Jinn, T.M Revolution, Gackt, not because you recognise the voice, but because you recognise the style. Especially Nino, they always have the same beat, reused several times as well.

Their music industry is extremely tough, so the singers have to rely on their style to hit well with niche audiences. If they survive a good number of years and have gained alot of fans, then they can further expand on their style.

Old 2009-01-17, 08:18   Link #269
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Seek medical attention. Ali Project and cool music in the same sentence? ><

Each song they do is like the same beat and off-key notes every. single. time.
I know they're not an easy band to like. I actually used to hate them with a vengeance but they grew on me. Quirkiness is as quirky does. And in that weird off-key manner, they do seem to have some otherworldly sense of rhythm to it. It takes quite a few listens, but it tends to grow on me like that.

Like their Kurogane no Linebarrel OP, which I absolutely love.

I can totally see why many people wouldn't like them though. It's like black coffee. It's not for everyone.
Old 2009-01-17, 08:20   Link #270
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I guess all other singer and their bands must also be totally uncool then, 99% of all music out there are well keyed and melodic.

The thing here is style and style can be determined by many different forms. Ali Project's style is just too great because they choose to have the really unique 'off-key' music as their style.
See that's what I used to think when I first heard them, that they were unique and had their own sort of style and groove and that made them interesting to listen too.....until I realized that their songs really all just do sound EXACTLY the same.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 08:25   Link #271
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
See that's what I used to think when I first heard them, that they were unique and had their own sort of style and groove and that made them interesting to listen too.....until I realized that their songs really all just do sound EXACTLY the same.
Heh, funny because I'm one step ahead of that. Because in all honestly, they don't sound the same. At all. It's like one song to the next is just a huge leap in tone and pacing, it is seriously the opposite of it sounding 'the same'.
Old 2009-01-17, 08:25   Link #272
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
You know that's because you don't understand the lyrics just by listening lol

Science says that the human brain loves to find similarities in things, especially on a group of items that they are not familiar with.

"What you bought new clothes? They all look the same to me."
"All Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, they all look the same."
"Dogs, cats, hamsters, they all look like their own species, how do you know that's your pet?" <-Because pet owner is familiar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Heh, funny because I'm one step ahead of that. Because in all honestly, they don't sound the same. At all. It's like one song to the next is just a huge leap in tone and pacing, it is seriously the opposite of it sounding 'the same'.
Yep, because you are a fan of their music and you give special attention to their songs, thus you are familiar with their style and can tell that their songs are different each time.

Old 2009-01-17, 08:31   Link #273
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Maybe I'm in the process of becoming a fan, because apparently, just acknowledging that they're unique and at least passable is like you're a fan of them all of a sudden.

But really, go with all the Geass songs (which actually do sound sorta similar), then to Shigofumi to Linebarrel and Sora Kake, and the sounds just seems to aim for totally different things. Except of course, the lead singer's offkey vibratos.
Old 2009-01-17, 08:36   Link #274
Clarste
Human

Ali Project certainly does all its OPs and EDs with a similar style, so I can understand people calling it all the same. They're not really the same, but certainly the same kind of thing. The real problem is that their style is often an inappropriate accompaniment to the animation. Also, somewhat oddly, all of their stuff that isn't composed for anime OPs and EDs sounds completely different. I mean, really, there's so much more variety in their music that never gets used in anime. It feels like the anime companies are literally telling them to "write another song like that one." Over and over again. So they do.

About the episode... needs more crazy AI. The crazy school hijinks side doesn't seem like it has much meat to it.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 09:09   Link #275
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Sorakake thread became Ali Project thread. XD

I've only heard a few Ali Project songs, but I thought this one sounded a bit different...comparatively. -wry- (It started off happier, for one! ^^) It's a form of branding, though -- it's an obvious Ali Project sound.
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 10:00   Link #276
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I know they have two well-defined styles (their "white" whatsitsname and their "black" whatsitsname), but in all honesty, the songs they do for anime series all sound the same. Well, of course not exactly the same There aren't two songs that are exactly the same, ever. You're a fan of them, which is perfectly fine, and as such you can differentiate their songs more easily. The same could be said about, I don't know, Metallica during the 80s by someone who doesn't particularly like trash metal. But honestly, by their standards, even Kajiura Yuki is a master of variance in styles

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 10:07   Link #277
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
L1: China and India.
(Why do I think it is the most crowded of all Space station nations?)

L2: Both North and South Americas.

L3: EU, Russian Federation, and every nation in-between them.

L4: Africa, Middle-East, Israel(!)
WHAT!!!!
Israel is intentionally sharing the same Space Station area with the rest of the Middle-East?
Oh, well, perhaps Obama magically solved the MiddleEast tension somehow. Or more likely, there isn't any land to fight over at the moment so there is a truce. They will probably go back to killing each other when Earth become habitable again.

L5 is where the main character lives. It is composed of Japan, all other smaller Asian nations, and Australia. (YEAH Australia!!!)
Has anyone translated the names of each colony structure here?

Cause I got these out of them:

L1 - People's Republic of Ule
L2 - United States of Lye
L3 - Dalibard Union
L4 - Ellenberg Alliance
L5 - Kirkwood Co-prosperity Sphere
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 10:43   Link #278
Tiberium Wolf

Man... UL is soooo cool! I wonder what those little life forms are.
Old 2009-01-17, 10:59   Link #279
BubbleGumCrisis

The reason I started watching this show is because I found out Ali Project was doing the OP. And I'm glad I did cause it hooked me with the first Ep. Now I have to find something to do to occupy my time until the 3rd episode comes out.
BubbleGumCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 11:28   Link #280
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Here's something I caught in the ED credits.
Spoiler for shrunk to fit:

Note that Leopard has his own manual that resemble a spell book. And it's named "Leopardnomicon" to boot.

Oh, and here's my second review of ep 2 after watching subs;

Spoiler for :

Finally, let me repeat; UL is awesome.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2009-01-17 at 12:28.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoujo, shoujou, shounen, sunrise