AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-26, 23:44   Link #1
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
NOISE! BLAME! SNIKT! And other such mangas/comics by Tsutomu nihei

Well, its a very small fanbase for such a comic. I'm beginning to wonder if i'm the only one in this entire board that likes it. Regardless, I feel it needs some loving. I'd link to a source to try it out but, all the ones i know are either down or contain questionable(possibly liscensed) matierial....so google away.

The synopsis for BLAME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omanga.net, approximated
In a dark cyber dungeon there is Killy, a quiet man with a gun exploring.
[End horrid description, just read it ]
Although I'll admit it can be vague at times, the story does make sense. Basically Killy is searching for "net terminal genes", as some sort of infection has prevented humans from connecting to a bio/mech interface long ago. And now..the review:

Storyline: 7 out of 10
Nothing incredibly intricate, but without the "i must become better than my ancestors" crap.

Art: 15 out of 10
Yes, I can count. but the art is THAT GOOD.(link only up for tonight)

Dialogue: 8 out 10
Its no R.A. Salvatore(I'm tired of saying shakespeare), but it reflects the environment around them very well.

Atmosphere, characters, and overall mood control: 10 out of 10
A bleak, hopeless atmosphere where rampaging creatures kill off the humans without mercy, and the rusted, junk heaps that they live in.

Gore level: BRUTAL
Not for the light of stomach.

Well, I'll see if i can manage to host a chapter or two if ya'll can't find a link yourself.

Edit: BLAME! (and i think NOISE!) are liscensed in france, sorry, sway .
Old 2004-01-27, 00:14   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

I tried reading Blame! last month and I didn't like it much, really. Normally I don't have anything against dark, moody, ultra-violent titles, but Blame! just put me to sleep. I was just turning page after page looking for that "something," that "anything" that would make it worth my while. Not one of my better experiences . Nevertheless, I think you can get all the Blame! scanslated in English so far from www.omanga.net, though the page was down for a bit. Omanga is usually very good about taking down licensed titles and if it's licensed in France, well there's nothing we can do about that!
Old 2004-01-27, 00:24   Link #3
Deralti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
I tried reading Blame! last month and I didn't like it much, really. Normally I don't have anything against dark, moody, ultra-violent titles, but Blame! just put me to sleep. I was just turning page after page looking for that "something," that "anything" that would make it worth my while. Not one of my better experiences . Nevertheless, I think you can get all the Blame! scanslated in English so far from www.omanga.net, though the page was down for a bit. Omanga is usually very good about taking down licensed titles and if it's licensed in France, well there's nothing we can do about that!
Bold 1: You can't even describe it...can you =p.
BLAME! requires a certain perception, i'd have to admit. Each to his(or her) own. *shrug*

Bold 2: (see quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
all the ones i know are either down or contain questionable(possibly liscensed) matierial
Read all of my post next time
Old 2004-01-27, 00:39   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

I did, I just didn't see the point in not mentioning Omanga just because it was down. If it's down today, it'll be up tomorrow. The other way to get Blame! while Omanga would be irc, and that's where the questionable material comes in. Personally, I think it's all a matter of self-discipline.
Old 2004-01-27, 00:54   Link #5
Deralti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
I did, I just didn't see the point in not mentioning Omanga just because it was down. If it's down today, it'll be up tomorrow. The other way to get Blame! while Omanga would be irc, and that's where the questionable material comes in. Personally, I think it's all a matter of self-discipline.
Bold 1: I wish!
Bold 2: No kidding...
Last line: ..... wait...you were serious? ... Well, most people don't have the self-discipline, especially if they're dling gigs worth of unliscensed anime a day .
Old 2004-01-27, 00:56   Link #6
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Send a message via Yahoo to Kaoru
I think Noise! and Blame! are awesome simply for the artwork and the atmosphere alone. When I first read it I couldn't help but just look at the how detailed the backgrounds and action sequences were. Very good artwork. The dark, moody, cyberpunk atmosphere is really what drew me into this manga. I've only been able to read a few volumes so far, since I'm catching up with a bunch of others (namely GANTZ and 20th Century Boys ). It's kind of hard when it's 10 volumes long! Personally I like this sort of genre, so I think it's worth the download. It'd be nice if alot of the projects on Omanga would get picked up.
Like that would be the day.
Old 2004-01-27, 01:19   Link #7
Deralti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru
I think Noise! and Blame! are awesome simply for the artwork and the atmosphere alone. When I first read it I couldn't help but just look at the how detailed the backgrounds and action sequences were. Very good artwork. The dark, moody, cyberpunk atmosphere is really what drew me into this manga. I've only been able to read a few volumes so far, since I'm catching up with a bunch of others (namely GANTZ and 20th Century Boys ). It's kind of hard when it's 10 volumes long! Personally I like this sort of genre, so I think it's worth the download. It'd be nice if alot of the projects on Omanga would get picked up.
Like that would be the day.
Yay! I'm not alone .
As for the other comic, SNIKT! I used the word 'comic', since its licensed and distributed (i think only) by marvel comics. It's basically throwing Wolverine(xman) into a blame-ish setting, but in color. So...it doesn't look as good. I had a look at a few pages, it didn't look worth buying, but right now i'm tearing over my to buy list:
1. All of BLAME!s volumes once their in english...if ever >.<.
2. All of Narutaru/Shadow Star's volumes once I get the money, which is soon to get some of them .
3. River's Edge, if its ever going to be in english, which is unlikely due to the unfavorable drawing style. But, on the other hand, the manga is (loosely) based on something that happened in the US. Go look up the Keanu movie River's edge. It's...somewhat the same as the manga in respects to scenery and some characters. But overall they are very different from each other.
Old 2004-01-27, 09:31   Link #8
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Blame was my second favourite series running in Afternoon magazine after Narutaru!

Bloody cryptic ending though.......!

I hope one day we will see the continuing adventures of Killy and Co.

PS did you check out the Blame Wallpapers on my website? (That is if Free-host.com is working)
Old 2004-01-27, 10:21   Link #9
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
Blame was my second favourite series running in Afternoon magazine after Narutaru!

Oh crap. Don't tell me Blame! just stops? Is Volume 10 the last one for now?
Old 2004-01-27, 10:29   Link #10
Deralti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
Oh crap. Don't tell me Blame! just stops? Is Volume 10 the last one for now?
Yeah, its done after volume 10. Probably due to Tsutomu getting bored of drawing it, or not getting paid enough, or running out of ink..i dunno..*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsurumaru

I hope one day we will see the continuing adventures of Killy and Co.

PS did you check out the Blame Wallpapers on my website? (That is if Free-host.com is working)
Bold: I hope too........I hope too....
The PS: No, it doesn't.
Old 2004-01-27, 12:27   Link #11
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
Yeah, its done after volume 10. Probably due to Tsutomu getting bored of drawing it, or not getting paid enough, or running out of ink..i dunno..*shrug*

Bold: I hope too........I hope too....
The PS: No, it doesn't.
Harrass me in IRC if you see me
Old 2004-01-27, 12:33   Link #12
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
Harass me in IRC if you see me

Briaereos - Yes sadly it finished at Vol 10 (with only two issues notice) Its an ambiguous ending but not the worst I've seen (its much better than Narutaru's was ).

I believe there is an art book out now by tsutomu-san you might be interested in checking out:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/animeboo...meandsoon.html

Better Pic of cover: http://store6.yimg.com/I/animebooks-com_1777_177953203

Title is "Blame and so on....."

Long day at work so clicked reply rather than edit - Sorry about the double post!
Old 2004-01-27, 18:55   Link #13
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

You've stirred my ernest in picking up where I left off of the manga. It's been awhile since I last read it. Time to go download me the next volume.
Speaking of which, have any of you seen the Blame web anime? I've gone to the website but I have yet to actually watch the eps.
Old 2004-01-27, 19:19   Link #14
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
You've stirred my ernest in picking up where I left off of the manga. It's been awhile since I last read it. Time to go download me the next volume.
Speaking of which, have any of you seen the Blame web anime? I've gone to the website but I have yet to actually watch the eps.
They should be listed on AS by "Wizzu" I thnik as that group subbed 'em.

Apparently they are meant to be a precursor to a Blame! movie due out this year however I've never got an concrete confirmation of this although it would be good if that was the case.
Old 2004-01-27, 22:14   Link #15
Deralti

Quote:
Yes, I, unfortunately have seeen it. It's bad....very bad... Like...imagine logs 1-(3)? being taken out, random scenes thrown in, cheapened graphics(and animation), some weird fish, and little static and popping noises for a soundtrack. Thats the menacing horror that is the BLAME! anime/preview. I hope the movie is better, although I doubt it'll ever come to the U.S., due to the manga not even coming to the US yet >.<.
Old 2004-03-23, 04:27   Link #16
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Pardon me for reviving an old thread, but I finally got around to finishing the Blame! series and all I have to say is "wow, I want more!" XD This has become one of my favorite manga and Tsutomu Nihei's artwork is, in my opinion, brilliant!
It's not so much the plot, but the atmosphere that really brings this manga together. Nihei has this obsession with megastructures that are apparent in alot of his work and the detail he puts into them really stands out. While reading Blame!, one can't help but be sucked into the vastness and emptiness of the world Nihei has created. The whole complexity of the Netsphere really gives the basis of Killy and his quest to locate the net terminal gene and stop the chaos of the World created by the safeguard. The action is very cool and the characters, while lacking in development, are interesting design-wise. I think the picture Deralti-san had up was this. And here's another one of my own.
Are those not wicked cool or what?!

I also found scans of the artbook tsurumaru-san talked about on the net and saw the art for Snkit! and other stuff Nihei drew, such as Matrix and Evangelion art. It also includes the comic Deadheads, which I didn't really know what happened because it wasn't translated. To any who have read it, can you tell me what was going on there? The artbook is a must-have!

Anyway, I agree the ending really left it kind of open. I can see many more adventures of Killy, or even new characters that can be made. The whole Netsphere can last forever, so we should see more Nihei manga! It’s just chock full of questions, theories, and speculations, isn’t it? Some that I won’t go into right now, but I’m beginning to understand Blame! little by little. That Blame! Gakuen is gonna be something else. Gosh I love Nihei’s stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
Yes, I, unfortunately have seen it. It's bad....very bad... Like...imagine logs 1-(3)? being taken out, random scenes thrown in, cheapened graphics(and animation), some weird fish, and little static and popping noises for a soundtrack. Thats the menacing horror that is the BLAME! anime/preview. I hope the movie is better, although I doubt it'll ever come to the U.S., due to the manga not even coming to the US yet >.<.
I actually saw the Blame! OVAs just out of curiosity, and I agree I did not like them one bit. A lot of it was randomness and a bunch of scenery with the big blue fish swimming around. And they were so short! Anyone who’s never read the manga would not understand what the hell was going on. I think it was made by fans of the manga for the fans? I don’t know, but I hope this Blame! movie that’s expected to come out will be much more pleasing, with better graphics, a coherent plot, and better music.

Edit yeesh...I apologize for the rambling and fangirl-ness. I posted this like at 3am. No sleep makes me all...weird.

Last edited by Kaoru; 2004-03-23 at 14:08.
Old 2004-03-23, 09:33   Link #17
e2-
Genius!

I didnt get the point in BLAME! i watched the anime
Old 2004-03-23, 15:47   Link #18
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Since people are revisiting this thread, I'll take this as an occasion to post this question :

Are there any other works by Tsutomu apart from Blame and Noise, and is he working on a new title?
Old 2004-03-23, 16:39   Link #19
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

BLAME! is my favourite "dark" mangas. Very intelligent and the Art is superbe. Tsutomu Nihei is an Architect so its not unusual for his to draw structures and all.

The flow of the story is realy special. Yes its way long before the action or the plote moves on but I find it realy cool since it puts you into a realy cool atmosphere. For example he'll show you how hight he goes..like 3 pages of Killy climbing but then you realy get the perception of how big the Netsphere is.

Noise is a side story to "Blame!" where that new character appears.
Intresting. Probably very important character in the future books. I read till book 9. Someone read further then that?
Old 2004-03-23, 19:47   Link #20
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

I've read all 10 books, and I really wish there were more. Blame! just stops at vol 10 and it really kinda leaves the story open. Noise! is more of a precursor to the Blame! series, since it takes place around the time when the contamination began spreading. It sets the world of Blame!, but the characters are unrelated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba
Are there any other works by Tsutomu apart from Blame and Noise, and is he working on a new title?
Yes, aside from those two, he's also partnered up with Marvel and created Snkit!, which is basically Wolverine in a Blame-ish setting. He's also done a manga called Deadheads, which I think has something to do with zombies (I'm not sure since it was untranslated). If you check out Nihei's artbook, the Deadheads comic and his other work are featured in it, along with an explanation of the whole Blame! world. Here's a translation from the artbook in case anyone's interested.
Oh and there might be something new from Nihei called Blame Gakuen. Check out the thread. ^_^
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=8627

Last edited by Kaoru; 2004-03-23 at 20:46.
Closed Thread