AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 62 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 32.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 25.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 4.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.54%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.08%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-02, 16:48   Link #81
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma-sama

A
Mikuru, a girl from the future, explains near a river (flow of time, anyone?), with panning and odd camera angles, but mostly, interrupted flow; at times, her lines overlap, as if time itself wasn't decided for her.
Plus, her final "Classified information" is a polaroid moment.
As for Itsuki, mister "I look normal, but I'm an esper", his explanation happaned in a very normal-looking place... or did it? What kind of school has tables and chairs made of wooden logs like that? I'm not sure about japan, but I know over here, they'd get cheap plastic or metal, if they had tables outside at all.

working together, or it'll be some kind of crime.
Yeah,I think mikuru's special effects not only showed her origin but also explained her conception of time.And I understood absolutely nothing of what she said.The guys in the Ontology of Suzumyia Haruihi thread are going to have fun with this ep.
Old 2006-05-02, 17:42   Link #82
mp3chan
Junior, I guess

I gave this 10 simply because the cinematography is just too good and the OST fits the character who's explaining. Maybe someone feels this as heavy dialogue episode, but I won't give lower rate because of it. I think the dialogue is really important story development and more importantly a good scientific episode too. Stuffs about quantized space and time theory is described by moe-looking Mikuru-chan by using simple animation frame analogy. Mikuru is genius
Old 2006-05-02, 18:19   Link #83
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I gave the episode a 9 overall. However, Yuki's explaination at the beginning gets a 10. I give her seiyuu a lot of credit for that scene. If you listen closely, the dialog sounds artifical, as it should given Yuki's origin. That part was done perfectly.

The rest of the episode gets an 8. There were a few small details I would have liked to see that were left out. It's understandable though, as even with Haruhi as super director, KyoAni can only fit so much into 23 minutes, and it's not like they mattered. There was one bit I was especially looking foward to, but it's possible they'll have it at the begining of the next episode to pickup the main story.
Old 2006-05-02, 19:06   Link #84
tritoch

watched it again.

Haruhi not pairing with Kyon = Haruhi jealous.

Funniest part of the whole show is having to watch Haruhi's expression of jealousy
Old 2006-05-02, 19:31   Link #85
Alu
Guide my hand...

Well.. I always like to read most of the spoilers, so naturaly I long knew what was behind the main plot of the series.., all and all, this episode revealed the facts in a 100% water-clear shape.

Basicaly..
Spoiler:

On how the explinations where layed out..
Spoiler:

Thus this brings us too...
Spoiler:

For the next episode as mencioned previously, we jump forward again to nº9.., I can't wait to see what happens

Ah, I forgot to mencione, I gaved it a 9 overall. Great episode
Old 2006-05-02, 19:38   Link #86
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Firefocht
He is a male protagonist that is so normal that he could be a person you would feel comfortable with in real life. Ironically, that is also what makes Kyon stand out in this day and age of overpowered and "perfect" male leads from other anime.
Overpowered and perfect male leads? Most male anime leads these days seem to be bumbling, marginalized idiots. T_T

Kyon's a wonderful breath of fresh air because he's a great everyman... who even asks the right questions. You really can relate to him. And that really ties the show together.

I want to watch the episode at home before I really vote/post about it. But on my initial viewing the show is really positive. They did a nice job by inserting that baseball episode between this episode and the previous episode. It picked up seemlessly from the prior cliffhanger, but the viewer was able to deal with a "wall o' text" type episode without getting buried. A lot of the visual/audio tricks they used during each characters explanations worked really nicely as well. Doubly so in reflecting Kyon's reactions.

//EDIT: I also appreciated how everyone presented Haruhi in a totally different light. Each organization obviously has a slightly different view of Haruhi. I think it'd be a real mistake to assume each person's view of Haruhi overlaps... or even fits together nicely. There seem to be enough slight nuances and differences of opinion between the three "groups" that point out their differing viewpoints.
Old 2006-05-02, 19:45   Link #87
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

SOmone probably already speculate this.

I beleived Kyon is NOT a normal human being but is infact the anti-Haruhi. For everything there is a opposite and I beleived what Kyon to Haruhi is what matter is to Anti-matter.
Old 2006-05-02, 19:50   Link #88
Alu
Guide my hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
SOmone probably already speculate this.

I beleived Kyon is NOT a normal human being but is infact the anti-Haruhi. For everything there is a opposite and I beleived what Kyon to Haruhi is what matter is to Anti-matter.
hmmm.. so how can you explain the fact that Haruhi has feelings for Kyon as she has for no one else..
Can it be a case of oposites atracting?
I honestly don't think so..., currently while speculating over Kyon I have a feeling that our minds will make up more then the actualy story is about
Old 2006-05-02, 19:56   Link #89
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

You remember Haruhi's introduction? She definitely mentioned four things: aliens, time travelers, other worldly beings, ESP. Although aliens and other worldy beings are similar; I just got to thinking that the SOS団 has Haruhi and 4 members, and she mentioned 4 beings in her introduction.

Winners for this episode goes to seeing Haruhi pissed and Yuki at the library. ^^
Also loved the three explanations, although I liked the Yuki's the most. Everything went by so fast, and then Kyon immediate reaction was ... When I saw Kyon react, I appreciated him more.
Old 2006-05-02, 20:07   Link #90
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Interesting.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-02, 20:34   Link #91
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

I have to give it a 10. The ep was so @_@ at the end you just cant help saying WTF??????!!!?!?1111
BTW, im starting to seriously doubt the fact of Kyon being just a normal human.
Old 2006-05-02, 20:42   Link #92
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

My favourite moment in episode 5 has to be when Kyon asked Haruhi if she had ever heard the story on "The Blue Bird of Happiness".

For those not familiar with the tale, it's about some children who went on a magical journey to obtain the blue bird. They traveled to numerous dimensions, and faced many perils, but each time they failed.

Eventually, they went home in defeat. But then realised that their own pet bird, living in its cage in their room, was the blue bird they were looking for.
Old 2006-05-02, 21:01   Link #93
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
You remember Haruhi's introduction? She definitely mentioned four things: aliens, time travelers, other worldly beings, ESP. Although aliens and other worldy beings are similar; I just got to thinking that the SOS団 has Haruhi and 4 members, and she mentioned 4 beings in her introduction.
Don't give Haruhi any ideas, or kyon will wake up one day to find his house converted into some interdimensional command center with his parents telling him it's time to carry out their mission to conquer this world.

Anyway, my theory about kyon is that he is more or less a normal human, but was the first person Haruhi thought might understand her. So while he doesn't have any powers himself, he can influence Haruhi somewhat and stop her from doing anything too extreme. This would seem to fit with everyone calling him the key. Of course, if Haruhi ever decides kyon should have some kind of power, be from another dimension, or something, he will. Though I doubt it'll happen...
Old 2006-05-02, 21:05   Link #94
Flo
The Necessary Evil

I find it hard to digest, too much talking too little funnies
Spoiler for I was hoping:
Old 2006-05-02, 21:07   Link #95
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo
I find it hard to digest, too much talking too little funnies
Spoiler for I was hoping:

That's because your too "normal"
Old 2006-05-02, 21:19   Link #96
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
This would seem to fit with everyone calling him the key.
So, that would make him the keymaster, right?
Old 2006-05-02, 21:24   Link #97
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Quote:
For those not familiar with the tale, it's about some children who went on a magical journey to obtain the blue bird. They traveled to numerous dimensions, and faced many perils, but each time they failed.

Eventually, they went home in defeat. But then realised that their own pet bird, living in its cage in their room, was the blue bird they were looking for.
Thanks for the explanation Vallen Valiant Chaos. I was about to ask about / google that, and forgot about it. How fitting.
Quote:
Anyway, my theory about kyon is that he is more or less a normal human, but was the first person Haruhi thought might understand her.
Maybe, to some extent. I find Kyon usually lost in whatever Haruhi does / wants to do. On a side note, he DID find himself going back to the clubroom in ep2 even if he didn't really want to. There must be some sort of connection or pull between him and Haruhi.
Old 2006-05-02, 21:25   Link #98
Cheese Ninja

This anime seems like a light-hearted version of Lathe of Heaven. The whole world responding to one person's will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lathe_of_Heaven

Voted a 9 again, just because I can't allow myself to give a 10. This episode had some really neat cinematography, as was noted earlier by others.

I wonder if Yuki and Mikuru ever consider their existences as related to Haruhi in the manner that Koizumi describes. They don't seem to, I suppose they might find it overwhelming if they did.
Old 2006-05-02, 21:44   Link #99
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
overall...i give it a 10...simply because i felt this ep had good char development and it was entertaining to watch...^^
Old 2006-05-02, 21:48   Link #100
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
Evidently I remember it better than you, as the four she mentions are Aliens, Time Travelers, Sliders amd Espers. A Slider would be someone who can dimension jump.
Closed Thread