AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-15, 00:36   Link #401
Dark Wing

I really like how the girls are all experienced in running a ship.

I bet you the club is going to take the Odette II into battle later on in the series...
Old 2012-01-15, 01:09   Link #402
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
Mini-skirt space pirates, with no panty flashes kinda misleading
Actually, there has been one so far, in the first episode. Almost everyone has missed it, and that's not surprising. It's so quick, and in the middle of a very dynamic movement by the character in question, that it's not a "blink and you'll miss it" but rather a "even if you don't blink, you'll probably miss it."

Divine caught it, here. I went back and replayed that scene several times, and even knowing what to look for I can't catch it without slowing down the player.

Quote:
I really like how the girls are all experienced in running a ship.
Clearly they've actually spent some time training and learning how to run that ship. It seemed like it was going to be a joke, with how the door to the bridge opened and there were alarms going off and girls flying every which way, but they got things under control rather quickly. I like it.

I also like what I've seen of that club president of theirs.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 01:20   Link #403
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Because nothing says mother-daughter bonding like shooting tanks with beam cannons.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 01:53   Link #404
Slick_rick

Surprising good so far. I was worried this might turn out to be a show where the premise of a ship full of girls in outer space was just an excuse for a bunch of shallow ecchi scenes to hide a limited plot and little characterization.

So far though it's taking itself seriously and has put forth some interesting and likable characters. Marika and Chiaki seems to be the central characters and form the main relationship that will probably drive the show. Both seem to compliment each other well and their interactions are currently the best part of the show. Marika and her also have a lot of potential mentors like her mother and the crew of the Bentenmaru to teach her the things she needs to know for later on. It will interesting to see how the girls and the Bentenmaru crew interact later on. I imagine they might be some dissension to her being in command.

The plot is promising. We only have an inkling of what is going but it's enough to at least tease you with possibilities. Beyond becoming a pirate we don't know the sort of adventures that will await Marika. Chiaki seems the biggest mystery right now; figuring out what role she has to play. Will she join Marika or will she become a rival? They seem to work well together so hopefully they will be on the same side. Hopefully though soon we have sight of the larger plot to the show.
Old 2012-01-15, 01:58   Link #405
Nerroth
NePoi!

Much as it might sound redundant for me to add my own thoughts on this ep, but I think things are proceeding quite nicely so far.

I appreciate the time being taken to build things, and hope that a good degree of control over the series' pacing will continue through the end of this season.

(And if the show is successful enough, and the material covered from the source material has enough legs left in it, why not let things get picked up again in a second season?)
Old 2012-01-15, 02:13   Link #406
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Actually, there has been one so far, in the first episode. Almost everyone has missed it, and that's not surprising. It's so quick, and in the middle of a very dynamic movement by the character in question, that it's not a "blink and you'll miss it" but rather a "even if you don't blink, you'll probably miss it."

Divine caught it, here.
The link you provided has a message about no hotlinking, so I took the liberty of taking my own screenshot, which can be seen here. Yes, even if you dudn't blink, chances are you missed it. It's that fast.

Spoiler for Chiaki's fanservice:

Anyhow, I'm liking this series more and more. I'm also liking how Marika and Chiaki are adapting to each other and thinking alike. That's going to come in handy later.

I have to admit I'm quite taken with Chiaki. ~swoon~

Spoiler for Yes, my Queen:

Endless "The Power of Pirates" Soul
Old 2012-01-15, 02:21   Link #407
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
The link you provided has a message about no hotlinking, so I took the liberty of taking my own screenshot, which can be seen here.
Oh bleh. I thought I'd gotten past that. Oh well, live and learn.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:31   Link #408
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

The second episode was good, it was better than the first one because I felt it was rather slow in introductions and getting the plot going.

I'm amazed at Chiaki's miraculous ability to save the main heroine and dessert at the same time. I had to do a double take when I saw that she was stilling eating her yummy parfait after running around from the chaos zone. I fear for the world if anyone where to disturb her while she's snacking.

Wow, I expect the mother and daughter bonding scene to be something a father and his child would. Little hand held beam weapons that punch through a tank or the hull of two old ships is kind of over kill, heh. I imagine then that ship weapons are on the scale of WMDs?
Old 2012-01-15, 02:44   Link #409
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Even the fanservice in this show is old school. Not that I'm complaining, but this really feels like an anime that would have been made 10-15 years ago. Is this going to be two cour? It's taking its sweet time getting up to speed, but I've missed this sort of pacing since most shows were reduced to cramming everything into a single cour.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 03:47   Link #410
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Even the fanservice in this show is old school. Not that I'm complaining, but this really feels like an anime that would have been made 10-15 years ago. Is this going to be two cour? It's taking its sweet time getting up to speed, but I've missed this sort of pacing since most shows were reduced to cramming everything into a single cour.
Yup, this anime is going to be Two-cour.
Old 2012-01-15, 04:48   Link #411
novalysis

Why does Chiaki remind me of Homura Akemi?

I was initially a skeptic when I first heard of this anime, but the first two episodes and their strong beginnings hooked me in and converted me.

I wonder though, are Privateers primarily traders which engage in the occasional looting of certain valid targets..... certainly, judging by our MC's Mother, it seems that she is a women of some influence and respect....

I wonder what she works as...
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 05:17   Link #412
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Even the fanservice in this show is old school. Not that I'm complaining, but this really feels like an anime that would have been made 10-15 years ago.
You know what adds to that feeling?The male narrator that we hear in the intro as well as the previews.
We don't hear much of that these days.
Old 2012-01-15, 07:01   Link #413
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Why does Chiaki remind me of Homura Akemi?

I was initially a skeptic when I first heard of this anime, but the first two episodes and their strong beginnings hooked me in and converted me.

I wonder though, are Privateers primarily traders which engage in the occasional looting of certain valid targets..... certainly, judging by our MC's Mother, it seems that she is a women of some influence and respect....

I wonder what she works as...
Occasional? You should read about the age of piracy privateering is practically an industry.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 07:03   Link #414
ookamigirl

Learning how to shoot and handle weapons was fun to watch.
The electronic warfare sure showed she is a true captain in heart.
All in all, a pretty nice episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 07:19   Link #415
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Occasional? You should read about the age of piracy privateering is practically an industry.
I am well aware about that. But, the subtext of the plot seems to imply that piracy by that point of time was the stuff of history, and rare. So, the main question is, what targets to these Privateers now are able to strike at, and what are their normal activities? Since I'd imagine that were they marauders striking at every target of opportunity, they'd be considered a diplomatic embarrassment, thanks to a still valid Letter of Marquee for a war long over.

But as it is, it appears that these men and women are treated with quite alot of respect- which seems to imply that they are engaged in certain activities considered both legitimate and heroic in the eyes of the Planetary Government. And one which seems to be quite prosperous normally wouldn't be likely to tolerate a marauder striking at ever target of opportunity. Which implies that piracy is only something judiciously executed on certain parties that are really asking for it, or have slighted or made enemies of the Planetary Government somehow.

I suspect that the vessel is principally engaged in Trading, and privateering is an extra-ordinary action executed rarely.

But then again, that's just Speculah
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 09:07   Link #416
ReddyRedWolf

Actually I can see the war not officially declared over. Something like the status of the Koreas or China concerning Taiwan.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 11:17   Link #417
CWW
Lurker

I don't know whether I should take this show seriously or not. They take their time to do preflight checks and to prevent cyber attacks, but then they wear skirts in zero gravity. I can understand the hair, since I assume it'd take too much effort to animate, but skirts in outer space seems like an oversight. Or the best idea ever depending on who you ask. The bridge is also purple and pink.

More importantly, this show is boring and not at all bodacious. I hope it picks up soon, because it's almost lost me.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 13:25   Link #418
Ray
Garnet

Ugh, I really hope this show picks up soon because I want to like it, but I found episode 2 to be rather meh; I wouldn't go as far as to call it 'boring' because I did enjoy some scenes. One particular scene I found interesting was the one in which Ririka teaches Marika about weapons, how most fights are decided before they even begin, and the power that pirates possess.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 13:47   Link #419
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I am well aware about that. But, the subtext of the plot seems to imply that piracy by that point of time was the stuff of history, and rare. So, the main question is, what targets to these Privateers now are able to strike at, and what are their normal activities? Since I'd imagine that were they marauders striking at every target of opportunity, they'd be considered a diplomatic embarrassment, thanks to a still valid Letter of Marquee for a war long over.

But as it is, it appears that these men and women are treated with quite alot of respect- which seems to imply that they are engaged in certain activities considered both legitimate and heroic in the eyes of the Planetary Government. And one which seems to be quite prosperous normally wouldn't be likely to tolerate a marauder striking at ever target of opportunity. Which implies that piracy is only something judiciously executed on certain parties that are really asking for it, or have slighted or made enemies of the Planetary Government somehow.

I suspect that the vessel is principally engaged in Trading, and privateering is an extra-ordinary action executed rarely.

But then again, that's just Speculah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Actually I can see the war not officially declared over. Something like the status of the Koreas or China concerning Taiwan.
That actually is an interesting question. In history, whenever war broke out, governments signed up as many privateers as they could to interdict shipping. When peace was declared, many of those privateers simply moved into ordinary piracy and became the enemies of everyone.

It's clear that privateering isn't a widespread industry any more, since after all Marika hasn't even heard of them (which is honestly kind of weird--she's a high-school student and hasn't had a basic course in the history of the founding of her own independent planetary government yet? Though I suppose most U.S. high school students couldn't talk about the role they played in the Revolutionary War, either...). The "Letter of Marque" would only allow them to attack shipping from other nations (or a specific rival nation), if it was comparable to those in history. So whom do they attack and why is it tolerated is a good question.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 14:23   Link #420
xizro345
King's Justice

I personally find the pacing pretty much adequate, especially since they're using a certain number of episodes to adapt each novel.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri