AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-20, 17:30   Link #121
Fimbulvetr

Beware of the spoiler above, ReddyRedWolf is spoiling volume 1 of the manga, which was completely skipped and might never make it into the anime at all. Which is sad, because the end of volume 1 is the most important and most central part of the whole story.
If you really want to know what happens in that volume, just read it, it is scanlated. And so is the first chapter of volume 2, which is pretty much equivalent to episode 2 of the anime.
Ep1 was an anime-original, complete with "Limiter-drama" (Powerful people with limiter devices they have no control over, resulting in a huge tactical disadvantage), and I don't remember the ep3 villain either.

Spoiler for limiters in the manga:

Nice visuals, good voice acting even, just not so great story adaption. Might have something to do with the early time slot.

Last edited by Fimbulvetr; 2008-04-20 at 17:54.
Fimbulvetr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 17:42   Link #122
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

This feels so much like an anime version of Powerpuff girls*. I like the dilemma the girls have, even though the leader loves them with an unnatural obsession, they are still pretty much treated like leashed dogs to be loosed on BABEL's enemies. Wich I'm guessing is what the guy with the glasses will change.

*Powerpuff Girls Z was a poor excuse of a magical girl show who rode on the original Powerpuff Girl show's success without carrying any of the comedy and style wich made the original so good
Darklightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 03:02   Link #123
arkxkra
全力全開

Spoiler for ep3:
Old 2008-04-23, 03:56   Link #124
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
*Powerpuff Girls Z was a poor excuse of a magical girl show who rode on the original Powerpuff Girl show's success without carrying any of the comedy and style wich made the original so good
Hmm. I sorta disagree with that. It's true they got the vehicle from the original cartoons, but in the end, it had a totally unique flair of its own. PPGZ was surely an acquired taste though. Zettai Karen isn't since it's mostly a decently original story, even if its premise is not.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 21:10   Link #125
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Ep 4 was awesome.

Spoiler:

<3 Naomi
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 11:36   Link #126
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 4...epix...
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 13:45   Link #127
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep4:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 01:04   Link #128
arkxkra
全力全開

ep4, lol

Spoiler for :
Old 2008-04-29, 13:57   Link #129
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Episode 03 was another decent one with some light (extremely light) bits of character exposition for Minamoto based on his childhood or lack thereof. I appreciate that they are trying to do these things, but they really aren't especially deep nor do they seem to really have a drastic impact on the story.

Likewise, the story could seriously use a jolt. I think the main problem is that there is no struggle, which is the essence of any interesting plot. The Children have faced no real challenge they couldn't just steamroll past or solve with a few words the last 3 episodes and have had nothing to improve upon. They are all already the highest level of esper attainable, so there's nothing to work towards there, and they all live reality happy lives with their fellow espers now that they work at B.A.B.E.L (which remedies the fact that they could never have normal friends) and there's nothing that really points to them being upset with their powers, rather they seem quite content.

So that basically just renders the series a bunch of stuff that happens and doesn't exactly make for a compelling or above mediocore watch. I should just be enjoying the lolis kicking but then, but even that part isn't especially interesting as they never really do anything. Konata just does her telekinisis to solve everything, Aoi does her Brain Powerd like Vital Jump and Shiho reads the lines of fate or something. So yeah, no real challenge.

As I read the Wiki entry there's supposed to be an organization called P.A.N.D.R.A (or the Rie Kugimiya squad as I call them as 2 out of the 5 characters are voiced by her) that I think might finally provide that challenge, but they could be many episodes off as of now. I think I'm going to put this one on hiatus until said organization makes it's appearance and then take things from there, as I don't expect much to happen in the mean time that is overwhelming in the ways of character development or such going by what we've had.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 18:59   Link #130
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

"Decent" is about as high as I could put ep3, too, Kaioshin. Since the battles don't do much for me in almost any show, I'm hoping that the conflict will come internally, something psychological within each of the girls, perhaps. But your statement about some form of conflict being required is bang on -- preferably something deeper and covering several episodes.

This doesn't seem to be bothering the Japanese anime-viewing public, however. If a post on 2channel is to be believed, this show jumped up from a 1.9% audience share to 3.1% between the week ending 20 April and the week ending 27 April, while Code Geass R2 dropped from 2.8% to 1.4%. Of course, the comparative figures for the week before were Zettai dropping from 3.3 to 1.9 and Geass rising from 2.6 to 2.8, so the wheel is still spinning. Over 3% is very good for these shows.

I found a more complete listing. For its first four episodes, Zettai (Sundays 10am) has gone 2.6 - 3.3 - 1.9 - 3.1, while Geass (Sundays 5 pm) has gone 3.0 - 2.6 - 2.8 - 1.4. No doubt there was some special event on opposite it last week. In any case, the two shows seem to be tracking about the same ratings.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 11:50   Link #131
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Those waiting for vast character development or emotional tension should bail out now. I'm going through the manga and this is very similar to Takashi Shiina's other work I've watched, GS Mikami; formulaic fun but nothing beyond that. A "bunch of stuff that happens" is the best way to describe it.

I'm loving both the manga and the anime, but then again this is what I expected from ZKC since I learned who the creator was.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 03:53   Link #132
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

GS Mikami only had an actual plotline about 17volumes into the series, what with Mikami's past as well as Yokoshima's past etc. I suspect this may be the same for Zettai karen. At which point, we may nowhere near seeing any form of tension in the anime.

Spoiler:

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 08:32   Link #133
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
late watching ep4... OYAJI POWER!!! f*ckin cracked up at that scene.
"oyaji power cant save the world", lol best punchline ever!

btw, how come some people dont seem to like hiyano aya playing kaoru? i think it works pretty well. come on man, her oyaji side is TOTOLLY konata

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 11:32   Link #134
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Just like I have an inherent bias against Kugimiya Rie, there are some who have inherent bias against Hirano Aya. So yeah, some complaints about Hirano in this thread should be taken with a bucket load of salt, especially when some of these people have a history of always complaining about her.

I personally don't think she's all that bad here.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 22:31   Link #135
Seiryuu

Ep4 wasn't too bad for what it was. If expecting plot and character development or situations and conflicts arising that will demand more serious material, you'll be completely disappointed. On the other hand, if expecting a good laugh and plenty of slapstick, anti-cerebral comedy, you should enjoy this. Who would've thought that a ten-year-old girl actually is the ultimate horny old man.
Also, after watching this, I can say that, considering the manga, it's impressive the animators managed to do the first 3 eps without any pantsu. However, when you let a super-telekinetic mega-perv that she has permission to rip apart a couple girls' clothes, some things are going to come out.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 13:15   Link #136
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep5:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 16:10   Link #137
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
hmm...the opening song is growing on me.

it's so...enthusiastic.

Old 2008-05-04, 17:20   Link #138
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
hmm...the opening song is growing on me. it's so...enthusiastic.
Good word. I think that energy is why I've liked it from the start.
Spoiler for ep5:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 04:05   Link #139
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 5
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 04:05   Link #140
arkxkra
全力全開

Spoiler for ep5:

Tags
babel, comedy, esper, loli, shounen