AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-10-27, 14:32   Link #1
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Aliens in the Gundam Franchise

Aliens in the Gundam Franchise

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the impact of introducing aliens to the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise, and the possibilities of aliens in future Gundam works.

This discussion may include, but is not limited to:
  • The origin of the ELS.
  • Their biology.
  • Their powers and limitations.
  • Plot-related involvement of the ELS.
  • Future appearances of alien races.
  • Impact of aliens on the franchise.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2010-10-29 at 01:46.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 13:19   Link #2
jonli
JONLIの憂'

For their biology, I always expected them to be nano-beings. Little micro-organisms that stick to each other which is how they can shape shift because all they do is rearrange their group structure. These nanites probably communicate to each other at a frequency similar to the QBW (the way they communicate is probably similar to a brain, just think of them as a giant brain that shape shifts) which is why they can sense QBW, but it is different enough for them to be surprised by Innovators.

Origin? No idea, didn't they say it was born within a star? I don't know how that's possible, but since all we know are carbon based life forms on Earth...and since the galaxy is so large...and since we have MANY galaxies....I'm sure there are other forms of life out there that we never expect to have happened.

Since ELS is a hivemind, I'm assuming some kind of virus that can spread quickly within them would do the trick. Something that they just assimilate without knowing and breaks them apart from within.

As for the franchise itself I doubt they would go deeper into the alien territory with other universes such as UC. They already created the 00 universe which is literally an entire set up for humanity to unite as one to meet aliens. So if they want to go further down the alien route they'd do it with future 00 installments (even though they have space whales in CE...). There's plenty of room for that as well as plenty of possibilities for future MORE advanced Mobile Suits in 00. Like I mentioned in the other thread, they can build a new Gundam with ELS organics incorporated into it. So it can do some shape-shifting as well as controlled through QBW communications with the alien. The story can also focus on the relationship between the human pilots and the ELS Mobile Suits, how they slowly get along with each other. Since the Sumeragi left Earth, there are plenty of more worlds they can explore. They can even expand on the understanding theme. Sometimes when you understand each other you still can't coexist.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 13:30   Link #3
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

IIRC, they weren't born in a star, they were born on/in the core of their home planet, which was a gas giant like Jupiter.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2010-10-29 at 01:36.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 13:33   Link #4
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Gundam is going Macross by adding aliens. No longer Gundam as it began, ie humans vs humans.

But then again there are no Macross projects in anime form in the nearest future so who minds?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 14:44   Link #5
justavisitor

Macross could be facing big trouble lol now that Gundam is crossing the line (They had songstress in seed and now they have alien in 00...it's getting there )

I think adding alien is a welcome change for the Gundam Franchise....Lately, Gundam has been either "one against the world" (W, X, 00) or "wrestling between 2 major sides" (seed, and seed destiny)...(haven't seen Turn A so I can't comment on that one)...it's time for a change before seeing Gundam get into a decline...
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 14:47   Link #6
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Gundam is going Macross by adding aliens. No longer Gundam as it began, ie humans vs humans.

But then again there are no Macross projects in anime form in the nearest future so who minds?
You might wanna take a step back and try to get a little grip on reality there chief just because they made one Gundam movie that included an alien lifeform in one of the 7 timelines that exist so far doesn't mean human vs aliens is going to become the new status quo. Especialy since it's alternate timeline that from what I heard the movie is it as far as anime production goes some more manga and variants for models but the main story is done. Also I'm not thrilled with this whole aliens in Gundam thing either but then this isn't the first Gundam timeline that was a bit off Mobile Fighter G Gundam with it's super robot themed Gundams comes to mind.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 14:47   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Turn-A is just really fucking weird.
Old 2010-10-28, 16:04   Link #8
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I'll always remember Loran chainsawing through a sword.

IIRC, wasn't the Turn X still built by humans? It was created from the Turn A, and built outside the solar system, but I've heard nothing that say aliens or non-humans built it.
Old 2010-10-28, 16:30   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
The 30th anniversary of Macross is closing in, so i'm sure we'll have something new then.

I'm in the camp that isn't that pleased with Aliens in my Gundam, though saying that it doesn't mean i'm not willing to give the idea a try. I'll see how i feel when i eventually get to see the 00 film.
Old 2010-10-28, 16:41   Link #10
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

I think the presence of aliens has the potential to be a welcome change but I hope aliens don't make an appearance in every Gundam series from here on out.
Old 2010-10-28, 17:59   Link #11
Washu-Chan