AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-04, 13:40   Link #1001
ookamigirl

And so the Comeback Competition begins!
E team is at a disadvantage right from the start, both with the instructor and funds.
Maybe they'll cure their instructors' guilt trip while they at it.
The whole thing about Brian accident was a nice intro for the next episode.
It's was about time Hibito comes back from the Moon.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 14:13   Link #1002
Utsuro no Hako

I'm really disturbed that Mutta ate that chocolate covered peanut(?). Even setting aside the fact that it was in Pico's nose, why would you ever eat something you find in your hair?

And is it any wonder that Bold fistbumps Pico? No sane person would ever want to shake that guy's hands.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 23:53   Link #1003
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
(...) He feels responsible for Brian's death even though it wasn't his fault. This appears to be the reason he's drowning himself in alcohol right now. That and the pressure he's under for currently designing Hibito's parachute (...)
Nah, I think that he was just bitter that some fag who has no idea about engineering and to whom money are most important is in charge. Seeing that a no-name company got suddenly money to do the work he has been doing for years could piss anyone off. Especially since millions (or billions/milliards) were spent on his project so suddenly switching the companies was the stupidest thing anyone could do (yeah, a company that hasn't worked on a parachute before could suddenly do it faster and cheaper than Pico, aha). Plus he's annoyed that he was powerless in that kind of a situation and even though he knew this might end badly he had no power to change it.

I think the hint to this was given when Mutta said that you always have to be prepared that something will go wrong so you need tests and Pico being confident that his parachute will definitely work since he is the one who made it.

Anyway, I think the reason he's not doing anything is the reason he gave himself, i.e. he doesn't expect any results from a bunch of amateurs, it's just child's play so why bother helping them? Since NASA didn't give him any serious work he may as well play games and fart. On some level he might feel a bit responsible for Brian's death but IMO it's not the main issue.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 00:59   Link #1004
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think it's self-evident that Pico feels responsible for Brian's death. If he hadn't lost the contract, Brian would be alive - plain and simple. Every dollar Pico spent was in trying to be extra careful and make sure the chutes would operate as they should, but in his mind, it was his fault because he spent too much and lost the contract - even if he felt he was right in spending what he did. Look at the last scene in the bar, for crying out loud.

Of course now, he's on pins and needles - the lives of the current astronauts are riding on whether he was right all along, and there's nothing he can do but wait and see if everything works as it's supposed to. Naturally he doesn't give a rat's ass about a bunch as ASCANs and their science fair project - that is, until he realizes Mutta has an unusual way of thinking. And the fact that Mutta has a brother whose life rides on Pico's being right (presumably Pico knows they're brothers already, but I suppose he might not) gives him another potential reason to be involved enough to turn his switch to "on".
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 06:58   Link #1005
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think it's self-evident that Pico feels responsible for Brian's death. If he hadn't lost the contract, Brian would be alive - plain and simple. Every dollar Pico spent was in trying to be extra careful and make sure the chutes would operate as they should, but in his mind, it was his fault because he spent too much and lost the contract - even if he felt he was right in spending what he did. Look at the last scene in the bar, for crying out loud. (...)
No, it's not self-evident, in fact it's rather clear that he's not blaming himself hence he hasn't stopped working on a parachute or for NASA (which would be the case if his incompetence would bring the death of Brian and co., I very much doubt he would still want work for NASA assuming they would want him) and he hasn't become a complete alcoholic.

As for scene in the bar, how shortsighted are you? The most obvious interpretation of that scene isn't that he was blaming himself but that he was crying because his friend died. He had nothing to do with his death. The person responsible for his friend's death wouldn't go drinking in the manner that Pico did. "Hey, I killed you but I'll pretend that you're still alive and drink for your health", lol.
Old 2013-05-05, 07:09   Link #1006
cyth
Banned

I think it's pretty clear he's blaming himself. Of course it's not his fault, but such emotions are rarely rooted in rationale. Even though he knows full well NASA is to blame, his development methodology is what got them to go with a different subcontractor. Mutta reaffirmed his methodology, that's why he started paying attention to him.

He hasn't become a complete alcoholic? He carries a pocket bottle with him.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 07:42   Link #1007
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
(...) He hasn't become a complete alcoholic? He carries a pocket bottle with him.
I'm from Poland.

Yes, this statement alone should be self-explanatory.
Old 2013-05-05, 08:15   Link #1008
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I thought this was a surprisingly mature story for the first episode out of the gate in the new time slot after the recaps. Not much in this episode for eight-year-old space enthusiasts who might have discovered this show for this first time on a recent Saturday evening.

I was a bit annoyed that Pico's character model in the early period when he was working on the parachute system was identical to the one we see currently. He has the same dishevelled appearance and the same stubble. I thought his contemporary character model was designed to show us a man in disarray and to emphasize his drinking and overall depression. Now it looks more like that is just Pico's nature which undercuts the story a bit.

This is really the first episode I can think of where NASA looks bad. My recollection is that the manned space-flight programs always seemed willing to spend the extra money required to help insure the pilots' safety. NASA and Congress both knew that major accidents could substantially undermine public support for the program. The explosion and fire that killed Gus Grissom and company, an event I remember well, surprisingly did not create such a backlash. The public was more willing to accept the dangers of space travel than the Agency or its Congressional backers believed.

I didn't really think about it at the time Brian's story was first told, but the puzzling feature of his death is that the capsule crashed on solid ground. While the Russians have conducted many ground landings, I don't believe the US ever did so. I wouldn't be surprised if inter-service rivalries mattered some as ocean landings enabled the Navy to be involved in the space program. At the time I wrote off the Jay accident as a consequence of other problems that drove them off-course, but now it appears that a ground landing was intended all along. It just seems to me that the ocean is a more forgiving place to drop a space craft than dry land, but probably at the speeds involved Brian would have died while hitting the ocean as well.

Was the return of half the crew from the moon always scheduled to take place so quickly, or is it a consequence of the rover accident? I thought Hibito would be there quite a bit longer, though if they won't let him go outside, his usefulness is pretty limited. I couldn't tell if this was a normal rotation or the result of the accident.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-05-05 at 09:06.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 09:03   Link #1009
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
I'm from Poland.

Yes, this statement alone should be self-explanatory.
I'm from Slovenia, and while I have a feeling our nation isn't as heavy on drinking as yours (you have super cheap beer), we're still pretty heavy drinkers. That doesn't make us any less alcoholics though.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 09:25   Link #1010
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I was a bit annoyed that Pico's character model in the early period when he was working on the parachute system was identical to the one we see currently. He has the same dishevelled appearance and the same stubble. I thought his contemporary character model was designed to show us a man in disarray and to emphasize his drinking and overall depression. Now it looks more like that is just Pico's nature which undercuts the story a bit.
Not totally identical -- modern Pico is thinner than in the flashbacks -- but I agree he should've looked less unkempt in the flashback.

Quote:
This is really the first episode I can think of where NASA looks bad. My recollection is that the manned space-flight programs always seemed willing to spend the extra money required to help insure the pilots' safety.
The scene is similar to what happened with the Challenger where the administration dismissed warnings from contractors that the O-ring might malfunction. But there's a rather significant difference between administrators making a bad call on launch day and an engineer trying to cut costs. Actually, if they'd just taken that one line out and made the decision about Pico's methodology it would've worked much better.

Quote:
I didn't really think about it at the time, but the puzzling feature of Brian's death is that the capsule crashed on solid ground. While the Russians have conducted many ground landings, I don't believe the US ever did so. I wouldn't be surprised if inter-service rivalries mattered some as ocean landings enabled the Navy to be involved in the space program. At the time I wrote off the Jay accident as a consequence of other problems that drove them off-course, but now it appears that a ground landing was intended all along. It just seems to me that the ocean is a more forgiving place to drop a space craft than dry land, but probably at the speeds involved Brian would have died while hitting the ocean as well.
It took a while for the Russians to perfect ground landings. All the Vostok pilots ejected rather than ride their capsules to the ground, something that never happened with NASA missions. But I recall that astronauts weren't always happy with having to wait for the Navy to pick them up, especially if they missed the intended landing site and had to wait to be found.
Old 2013-05-05, 09:51   Link #1011
Jimmy C

Quote:
Was the return of half the crew from the moon always scheduled to take place so quickly, or is it a consequence of the rover accident?
It's not "quickly" they've been up there months by the time they return.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 10:47   Link #1012
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
(...) I was a bit annoyed that Pico's character model in the early period when he was working on the parachute system was identical to the one we see currently. He has the same dishevelled appearance and the same stubble. I thought his contemporary character model was designed to show us a man in disarray and to emphasize his drinking and overall depression. Now it looks more like that is just Pico's nature which undercuts the story a bit. (...)
I for one find it really refreshing. As att has pointed out the character model you have in mind is totally cliche wheras a confident, unkempt heavy drinker who doesn't change much after Brian's death is not. In fact it's one of the things that point out he doesn't blame himself for this accident since not much changes about him.
Old 2013-05-05, 19:49   Link #1013
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
This is really the first episode I can think of where NASA looks bad. My recollection is that the manned space-flight programs always seemed willing to spend the extra money required to help insure the pilots' safety. NASA and Congress both knew that major accidents could substantially undermine public support for the program. The explosion and fire that killed Gus Grissom and company, an event I remember well, surprisingly did not create such a backlash. The public was more willing to accept the dangers of space travel than the Agency or its Congressional backers believed.
NASA has had its bad moments. The Apollo 1 fire that killed Grissom, White and Chaffee was the result of a great many design and development shortcuts and mistakes that didn't come to light until after a thorough investigation.

Quote:
While the Russians have conducted many ground landings, I don't believe the US ever did so. ... It just seems to me that the ocean is a more forgiving place to drop a space craft than dry land, but probably at the speeds involved Brian would have died while hitting the ocean as well.
There was talk at one point of landing the Orion capsule in the Utah desert. I'm not sure what happened to that idea. But yes, at the speed Brian's capsule was traveling, it wouldn't have made any difference whether it hit land or water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The scene is similar to what happened with the Challenger where the administration dismissed warnings from contractors that the O-ring might malfunction. But there's a rather significant difference between administrators making a bad call on launch day and an engineer trying to cut costs.
NASA is not immune to making bad mistakes in the name of cost-cutting. Fortunately, the worst ones so far came with robotic Mars probes that were designed and built during the "faster, better, cheaper" era of the 90s.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:30   Link #1014
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

None of what you're saying is untrue, but the interesting part for me is that this is the first time we're really seeing NASA (who's thanked for their cooperation in the end credits of every episode) painted in an unflattering light in Uchuu Kyoudai.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 10:53   Link #1015
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I think it's pretty clear he's blaming himself. Of course it's not his fault, but such emotions are rarely rooted in rationale. Even though he knows full well NASA is to blame, his development methodology is what got them to go with a different subcontractor. Mutta reaffirmed his methodology, that's why he started paying attention to him.

He hasn't become a complete alcoholic? He carries a pocket bottle with him.
This pretty much.

I think he blames himself for what happened to Brian as well, even though it really wasn't his fault and he had nothing to do with it.

However, judging by the way he perked right up when Mutta was talking, I'm guessing that Team E somehow gives him his mojo back.
Old 2013-05-11, 09:58   Link #1016
ookamigirl

Episode 57

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 10:49   Link #1017
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Mutta got to shine in this episode. His idea to use sponge for the tires was brilliant and impressed even Pico. The team seems to be doing well on this assignment.

Mutta has been invited to drink with Pico and... Vince. This should be very interesting. Apparently, the two have known each other since childhood, which explains a lot.
Old 2013-05-11, 10:55   Link #1018
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Every time I watch the current OP I wonder if it might not be a little tribute to the opening for Downton Abbey.

I remember seeing an interview with Hugh Bonneville where he reports a wee bit of annoyance about having his name on the screen next to a dog's butt.

So Hibito's coming back in a few weeks, I guess. I'm looking forward to watching him train his brother to fly jets. Let's just hope Serika packs the parachutes.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 22:13   Link #1019
ragez2010
TamingSari

lol, Pico Pico jokes..

5 more days for Hibito and Pico
ragez2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 23:38   Link #1020
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragez2010 View Post
5 more days for Hibito and Pico
In other words, we can expect a resolution to this storyline around August.

Tags
science fiction, seinen