AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

View Poll Results: What is their gender?
Both are male. 119 50.42%
Both are female. 105 44.49%
Dorii is male and Guraa is female. 6 2.54%
Guraa is male and Dorii is female. 6 2.54%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-01, 13:02   Link #141
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eru
The fact it was noteworthy enough to mention on the page should tell you something about how exceptionally rare it is. You're going to hyperextend your shoulder if you keep reaching like that.
I know it's a stretch, I'm just pointing it out
I'm not advocating any gender for them at this point. It's still pretty much up in the air for me. They're probably male, but you know how anime is
Old 2006-07-15, 11:01   Link #142
musouka5

I think the twins are both female because if you look at all the females in the anime their ears point downwards and the male ears go up like elves. And by saying that you can the twins ears are poiting downwrads like a female. I odn;t know if i'm right but if you look closely and examine thre female and the male's ears it basically is giving you a pretty big hint which gender is which...=D
Old 2006-07-15, 12:40   Link #143
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka5
I think the twins are both female because if you look at all the females in the anime their ears point downwards and the male ears go up like elves.
Some guys have drooping ears
Old 2006-07-15, 12:44   Link #144
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'll reiterate that comparing their features to female character features isn't something to go by. Again, they had the same features in the game as they do in the anime (very accurate transition from game portrayel to how they are portrayed in the anime). And the game does say they are male.

Also, I gotta ask, why does the original poster even suggest ignoring how it says they are male in the game for this thread? It is like it is out of left field to bring that to the table for the thread.
Old 2006-07-15, 13:23   Link #145
musouka5

ah this is so confusing!
Old 2006-07-15, 13:30   Link #146
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka5
ah this is so confusing!
It's just the big eyes that aren't seen on the other males.
Old 2006-07-15, 13:32   Link #147
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
Also, I gotta ask, why does the original poster even suggest ignoring how it says they are male in the game for this thread? It is like it is out of left field to bring that to the table for the thread.
It's not unheard of for genders of characters to be switched when going from one medium to the other. The twins from FMP! TSR and Sobash from BotS were male in their repective novels, but I doubt anyone would argue their gender in the animes
Old 2006-07-15, 13:45   Link #148
Kiomi

Well.. i've never seen the anime but, One looks like it has breast

http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snap15157cd.jpg

or is that just me? So i say one female, one Male
Old 2006-07-15, 13:52   Link #149
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiomi
Well.. i've never seen the anime but, One looks like it has breast

http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snap15157cd.jpg

or is that just me? So i say one female, one Male

Nah, if you examine the picture, you can see that the left side has no "boobie", so that would throw that speculation out the window. As for the small mound (and the single mound, that is) found on the right side, it is just how the animator illustrated it, methinks. Perhaps the garment bundles up there, they were thinking, or simply it is just an inconsistency. However, if the character is female and they intended to draw small breasts in that scene, well, going with that thinking, if it appears that there is one breast and not two, that would be quite some inconsistency in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green²
It's just the big eyes that aren't seen on the other males.
And it would be fitting for them. They are mid teens (probably like 14) and also on the feminine side. In some episodes, you'll see younger male characters, like villagers, with the bigger eyes, and I think dropping ears, too. The characters look about 10 or so. Some examples are when the winged people first meet the empire under Hakauro, and two boys run by and pluck feathers from the old man, and in the newest episode (13 or 14), a young boy asks if Hakauro is a bad man at the very beginning.

Also, one of the villagers of Eruuruu and Aruuruu's village was about the twins age (seems about 13 or so) and he had bigger eyes and drooping ears.

I couldn't find a bigger pic, but it is the character on the left, perhaps some of you recognize him, you see him up close in the beginning of episode 11.

(I can not hot link the pic, so it is in the 4th row down, center pic).

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2006...warerumono-11/

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2006-07-15 at 14:16.
Old 2006-07-15, 15:17   Link #150
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Nah, if you examine the picture, you can see that the left side has no "boobie", so that would throw that speculation out the window. As for the small mound (and the single mound, that is) found on the right side, it is just how the animator illustrated it, methinks. Perhaps the garment bundles up there, they were thinking, or simply it is just an inconsistency. However, if the character is female and they intended to draw small breasts in that scene, well, going with that thinking, if it appears that there is one breast and not two, that would be quite some inconsistency in itself.
Though word once had it that back in the medieval days, female archers had cut one of their breast off, as to be able to better draw -to better use the weapon.

Quote:
And it would be fitting for them. They are mid teens (probably like 14) and also on the feminine side. In some episodes, you'll see younger male characters, like villagers, with the bigger eyes, and I think dropping ears, too. The characters look about 10 or so. Some examples are when the winged people first meet the empire under Hakauro, and two boys run by and pluck feathers from the old man, and in the newest episode (13 or 14), a young boy asks if Hakauro is a bad man at the very beginning.

Also, one of the villagers of Eruuruu and Aruuruu's village was about the twins age (seems about 13 or so) and he had bigger eyes and drooping ears.

I couldn't find a bigger pic, but it is the character on the left, perhaps some of you recognize him, you see him up close in the beginning of episode 11.

(I can not hot link the pic, so it is in the 4th row down, center pic).

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2006...warerumono-11/
No droopy ears of course, as that child had the ear-pantsu on. But appropriate tomboy attire I suppose.
Old 2006-07-15, 16:31   Link #151
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Though word once had it that back in the medieval days, female archers had cut one of their breast off, as to be able to better draw -to better use the weapon.

No droopy ears of course, as that child had the ear-pantsu on. But appropriate tomboy attire I suppose.

Ah Green, always trying to make things interesting like so.

About the first thing, I've never heard that, but even so, you know they wouldn't sneak in something so obscure and in such a slight manner like that, and that is if they were even female in the first place.

About the second thing, you know as well as I that isn't a tomboyish girl. =p

You've seen me support why I think they are male in several posts, I'd like to know, what is your opinion and what are some things that influence your opinion?
Old 2006-07-15, 20:48   Link #152
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Ah Green, always trying to make things interesting like so.

About the first thing, I've never heard that, but even so, you know they wouldn't sneak in something so obscure and in such a slight manner like that, and that is if they were even female in the first place.
Long story back some time ago at the old high school history class. That as even though female fighters weren't all that common, they were however there during that time. Archery as the more common long range weapon, while most useful in those days, rather an pain for women to use. That as one of their breast would tend to get in between the arrow's draw string, messing up firing trajectory, as also while causing an rather painful sting. Crude method for the elite was to cut off whichever one got in the way, if wrapping couldn't suffice. But practice ended at some point when the crossbow became more widely available.

Quote:
About the second thing, you know as well as I that isn't a tomboyish girl. =p

You've seen me support why I think they are male in several posts, I'd like to know, what is your opinion and what are some things that influence your opinion?
Twins in profile, an feminine like appearance, possible cross dressing, and jewelry scene to throw in an even odd twist.

That perhaps their personality has it that they are feminine. But unknown at to their actual physical gender. Stronger support I believe being in that they are male. In that, reasonable belief has it that the twins are doing it with Oboro. But as Oboro doesn't appear to have made any motion to Eruruu, and later, no motion as of yet to court some of the fine lady beauties, probably has it that Oboro is gay. That with in addition, that Oboro seems to be a bit too friendly to Hakuoro.

Put together, probably has it that the twins are physically male, but overall is inconclusive.

But there are holes to be expected to some end.* And eventually things can be spun to mean something completely different then intended, if left to be filled & expanded with one's mind,** while compared to other material. The ear-pantsu kid from within the previous comment of mine, more or less in thought of what makes that child any more different than the twins.***

*Pervert
**Extremely perverted
***I just wanted to add the three asterisk characters at the end****
****Case in point, that maybe when Oboro in the game:
Spoiler:
But as not being in the anime, of course leaves us to draw up conclusions from other material as presented by from the anime.
Old 2006-07-15, 21:18   Link #153
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Okay, I see a bit more, that you are very open to the odds and ends that indicate it is not concrete what gender they are, and that you like to speculate on certain things which may indicate the gender is female rather than male.
Old 2006-07-15, 21:45   Link #154
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
my reasoning is how they speak to Oboro and Hauroko. They both use formal language when speaking to either of them but they dont use female fomal language they always speak as they are males
Old 2006-07-15, 22:58   Link #155
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Okay, I see a bit more, that you are very open to the odds and ends that indicate it is not concrete what gender they are, and that you like to speculate on certain things which may indicate the gender is female rather than male.
Easier to watch the animation without question, but all more fun just speculating. ...which in the end hopefully leads to talk & nipples resulting with messing around with the animators and television censors. -Bath scene hopefully ...Touka, Karura, Urutorii... So many new ladies yet to be formally presented.
Old 2006-07-16, 11:49   Link #156
Lost

Quote:
Easier to watch the animation without question, but all more fun just speculating. ...which in the end hopefully leads to talk & nipples resulting with messing around with the animators and television censors. -Bath scene hopefully ...Touka, Karura, Urutorii... So many new ladies yet to be formally presented.
You gotta love our ecchi-Green. Speaking of whom, I do agree with his view that such a debate would be left open-ended, because its really left open to our interpretation; until and if the producers decide to reveal it. (I really hoping they do, I hope to get that cookie)

However, this thread serves wonderfully to collect all that interpretations, so if someone would be kind enough to go back 8 pages and collect all of them in one post for objective analysis, I'm sure we would all cookie him or her for the effort

But yeah, its fun speculating like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
my reasoning is how they speak to Oboro and Hauroko. They both use formal language when speaking to either of them but they dont use female fomal language they always speak as they are males
I noticed that they said "Eruruu-sama." Is that male use?
Old 2006-07-16, 16:13   Link #157
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
I noticed that they said "Eruruu-sama." Is that male use?
No. It's androgenous.
I haven't been paying super-close attention when they speak, but I think their speech is usually androgenous (except for 'boku').
Old 2006-07-23, 19:17   Link #158
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Hmm taken from the opening

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't having long nails discouraged in archery? In anime, it seems that female characters are given much more leniency (like say...drinking on the battlefield ) than male characters in regards to military tradition/procedure. So Dorii and/or Guraa's long nails could indicate that they aren't exactly male characters.

OR

Long nails traditionally only appear in female anime characters, and therefore one could assume that one or both of the twins are female.

Your thoughts.
Old 2006-07-24, 17:20   Link #159
Omniscient

Hahahaha!
Alright, time to add fuel to the fire (straight from episode 17):

Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-24, 17:21   Link #160
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Even with that happening in episode 17 - there's nothing saying both are female.