AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-25, 11:14   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Soul Eater - Spoilers & Speculation (for manga readers only)

This thread is for the experienced Soul Eater viewer (i.e. those of you who are familiar with potentially all the manga), its purpose is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation over the Soul Eater anime series, it therefore will contain unmarked spoilers. If you are a manga virgin of Soul Eater, then do not read this thread unless you want to be spoiled (use the Speculation & Theories for first time viewers thread).

Since posters are expected to be familiar with the manga, there is no real need for spoiler tags, but feel free to include them if they are helpful.

Adding a Spoiler tag:
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a title that clearly identifies the specific source of the spoiler!

Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread if it's just discussion about the current or previous anime episodes. Also remember that this isn't a manga discussion thread, if you do want to discuss the manga then please use the existing Soul Eater Manga Discussion thread.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by xris; 2008-04-25 at 12:55. Reason: Added Manga thread URL
Old 2008-05-19, 06:15   Link #2
ellifeedn
Thinker

The Gorgon sister who wasn't introduced yet, I'm going to say that her name will be Vampira or something close.
Old 2008-05-19, 06:19   Link #3
Medousa
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Medousa
Vampira ... O_ô Sound weird. (But whatever, Medusa's still my favourite.<3)

If you think that her name'll be Vampira, well, what her "animal"? A bat? x)
Old 2008-05-19, 14:43   Link #4
ellifeedn
Thinker

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I mean bats are animals that are traditionally associated with witches, and seeing as how the other sisters have traditional animals (snakes, spiders), I thought it would fit. Truthfully I'm partial to crows, but I feel that bats could work better in this case. Also, I couldn't think up a name that goes with crow (and personally I don't think Raven works too well) and Vampira was the only name I could think of that relates to bats and sounds gothic.
Old 2008-05-19, 15:19   Link #5
Clarste
Human

The Gorgon sisters all have Greek names. I'd imagine she'd be some other Greek monster/monstrous person.

PS: Medusa is a real Gorgon sister mythologically, and Arachne is a woman who was turned into a spider (the first spider, I believe) by a goddess jealous of her beauty. Or something like that.
Old 2008-05-19, 16:50   Link #6
HiroInazuma
Boss of Ecchi Yazuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The Gorgon sisters all have Greek names. I'd imagine she'd be some other Greek monster/monstrous person.

PS: Medusa is a real Gorgon sister mythologically, and Arachne is a woman who was turned into a spider (the first spider, I believe) by a goddess jealous of her beauty. Or something like that.
No Arachne was a half spider woman who could sow the most beautiful tapestries but then when she got into a contest with a goddess, Arachne beat the goddess and then the goddess destroyed the tapestry and Arachne commited suicide
Old 2008-05-19, 20:23   Link #7
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroInazuma View Post
No Arachne was a half spider woman who could sow the most beautiful tapestries but then when she got into a contest with a goddess, Arachne beat the goddess and then the goddess destroyed the tapestry and Arachne commited suicide
Oh, okay then. I knew it involved a goddess at least.
Old 2008-05-19, 21:58   Link #8
ellifeedn
Thinker

You make an excellent point. I would never have guessed that Arachne was a Greek diety(?). And since my knowledge of Greek mythology = 5-7% at best, I probably shouldn't try to guess the third sister.

But I do believe that witches with bat and crow themes will appear. Also cat, preferably black.
Old 2008-05-19, 22:01   Link #9
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
But I do believe that witches with bat and crow themes will appear. Also cat, preferably black.
Spoiler for ch 43, seriously HUGE spoiler, don't click if you don't wanna know!:
Old 2008-05-20, 06:50   Link #10
Medousa
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Medousa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Spoiler for ch 43, seriously HUGE spoiler, don't click if you don't wanna know!:
O_O WHAT?! xD *Likes spoilers*

Spoiler for Chapter 43:
Old 2008-05-20, 14:26   Link #11
ellifeedn
Thinker

After talking about Greek mythological figures I took a look at some wikipedia articles. Then I found Chronos, which, for a moment, I thought said Chrona. Perhaps Chrona's name is based on the Greek figure? That is entirely plausible, but unfortunatly the description of the figure didn't quite fit Chrona.
Old 2008-05-21, 09:18   Link #12
TrueKnight

Well to my surprise,

Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-21, 09:26   Link #13
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Well to my surprise,

Spoiler:
That's my assumption.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-24, 10:54   Link #14
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

What I'm curious about is who Giriko really is to Arachne.
Spoiler for chapters 26 and 47:

Last edited by SquirrelLuvsPnut; 2008-05-24 at 10:56. Reason: unspecified chapters, missing quotation
Old 2008-06-14, 07:54   Link #15
lmd_84

So... (spoilers for ch.46-47)

Spoiler:
Old 2008-06-17, 19:31   Link #16
ellifeedn
Thinker

Something occurred to me. Since Shinigami knew that there were three Gorgon sisters, did he know that Medusa was a witch before she became the school nurse?

I know I said I wouldn't try to guess the third sister but I have a fairly good one, especially since I spent a good 3-4 hours each day for a week looking up Greek dieties on wikipedia. How about "Athena" with an owl theme?

Also after looking at wikipedia articles, I found Hecate. While I don't know what sort of animal theme she could have, I think a witch-goddess would be a nice addition. Either that or I've been reading too much Hellboy. Another witch-goddess candidate would be Lilith, but don't know too much about her, except that she's biblical.
Old 2008-06-18, 05:49   Link #17
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Something occurred to me. Since Shinigami knew that there were three Gorgon sisters, did he know that Medusa was a witch before she became the school nurse?

I don't think Shinigami would have willingly hired a witch, as we know from Eruka and Mizune that they bear a grudge against him for using their souls for his Weapons.

One would have thought a name like 'Medusa' would have been ringing alarm bells for Shinigami, but apparently not. And considering how she acted as a nurse, and Shinigami being unable to see though Soul Protect, I suppose she had enough of a facade around her to avoid detection in Shibusen.

I've read speculation that Shinigami had something to do with Medusa releasing Soul Protect in front of the church, so I'm not sure how he really stands on witches, even with the evidence that he doesn't mind having them captured/destroyed indiscriminately, considering a harmless child like Angela ended up on his list.
Old 2008-06-18, 09:24   Link #18
withered_joy
虫酸が走るわ!!

Spoiler:
Old 2008-06-18, 09:39   Link #19
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by withered_joy View Post
Spoiler:
Maybe Arachne sacrificed the third Gorgon sister? Perhaps that's why we've not heard much about her. It could have given Medusa reason to sell out Arachne, out of revenge. Unless I'm forgetting we've been told the third sister is alive.

My first thought on Brew was that Shinigami intends Kid to use it to destroy the castle, taking out a chunk of Arachnophobia in the process. If the arc does go in that direction, it's unlike to kill Arachne - who, like Asura will probably get her own showdown with Shinigami - but it'd be appropriate retaliation for the attacks Arachne has done on Shinigami's people/territory.

Which brings to mind just what Shinigami's willing to sacrifice to get rid of his enemies. He sent kids, for goodness sake, including his own son, shinigami or not. Yes, it's a plot device for the main groups, but I do wonder....
Old 2008-06-18, 10:17   Link #20
withered_joy
虫酸が走るわ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
Maybe Arachne sacrificed the third Gorgon sister? Perhaps that's why we've not heard much about her. It could have given Medusa reason to sell out Arachne, out of revenge. Unless I'm forgetting we've been told the third sister is alive.

My first thought on Brew was that Shinigami intends Kid to use it to destroy the castle, taking out a chunk of Arachnophobia in the process. If the arc does go in that direction, it's unlike to kill Arachne - who, like Asura will probably get her own showdown with Shinigami - but it'd be appropriate retaliation for the attacks Arachne has done on Shinigami's people/territory.

Which brings to mind just what Shinigami's willing to sacrifice to get rid of his enemies. He sent kids, for goodness sake, including his own son, shinigami or not. Yes, it's a plot device for the main groups, but I do wonder....
Dude, I love kid, but I have my doubts about him being able to use Brew. I mean... didn't Arachne say that Brew IS Eibon? (In a sense because it has everything Eibon packed inside) Even if he is a shinigami and all...he's still not strong enough to face the mosquito old fart alone. I don't know if that has anything to do with whether he's capable of controlling Brew but I'm just saying that he probably can't handle the power.

Furthermore, he is disgusted with the demon tools with his famous "mushizu ga hashiru wa!" which...makes it less likely for him to be willing to use such "evil" things. Soooo the question is what Shinigami has up his sleeve to let his kid bring that thing every witch wants.

Anyhow, I don't know if it's because he can't leave Shibusen or what, but why the heck does Shinigami need a kid in the first place? I hope Kid's origins can be explained, but I sort of doubt it would be T^T
Closed Thread