AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 48 48.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 29.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 15.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-16, 22:22   Link #61
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The screencaps over at Random Curiosity make me grit my teeth but I'm told the derails from "the Lucky*Star I'm looking for" are much less intrusive than it appears.

I guess I'll see... but frankly, I was hoping for about 5 or 6 chapters of manga - the Minami/Yutaka & the Four Musketeers interact.... I really hope that L*S isn't being trampled. If the last half of this series turns into an advert for SHnY 2, my heart will be broken and my enthusiasm for SHnY 2 will be withered. I'm beginning to feel like I'm one of the few fans of the manga being outshouted by the crowd. I simply want Lucky*Star to be about Lucky*Star.

To be really crude and because L*S means something to me, please forgive the following outburst: I signed on for this ride to see Lucky.. Fucking... Star... , eh?!

edit: okay I slugged down several pints of sake ... I feel more stabilized. People who watch the anime and *then* go read the manga are going to wonder where is (insert all that other stuff here, like Animate Tenchou, cameos, L*C, etc). So I guess that revenge will be slow and romulan cold....

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-07-16 at 23:11.
Old 2007-07-16, 22:35   Link #62
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. Xiaolang, don't stop watching NANA at ep29. It's just getting great. It gets better and better. Your tears will dry...then more will come...then.... Really, an outstanding show. But I ended up watching it in spurts, too. Once a week was too hard. It's not a direct reference, but I can really see your parallel between some of the emotions in the relationships NanaxNana and KagaminxKonata.

2. It's bracing to find myself back in the familiar position of disagreeing completely with Kaioshin. I just totally disagree that there is too much reference and self-reference in this show. As I've said, I don't get most of the references, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment. And I believe the references are a great way of touching otaku in their encyclopedic souls, and getting them to open their wallets so that more of this stuff can be produced. Bring it on. As I've also said before, Dickens and Shakespeare were in it for the money, too. And when I do get the references, it's fun.

I thought Kagamin's kindness and Konata's reaction after the concert were two of the highlights of this whole series.

I didn't feel much one way or the other about the brief presentation of the SH no Gekisou concert itself. If I want see some of that show, I'll watch the trailer for the DVD. But I was interested that they seemed to make a point, with both Aya and previously with Minorin, of not having the cartoon image look much like the real person. And I did enjoy the fact that they made her hair so light -- far lighter than she has ever really dyed it -- as a sort of joke at the expense of the otaku who kept complaining about her dyeing it at all. In this case, I do get the references, lol.

3. SaiMoe. I found last year's contest so annoying that I'm not going to spend any time following it this year. It's not about moe at all, it's just about popularity. The most moe character of the past year was Nanami in Bokura ga Ita. I know that and don't need to watch her being eliminated in the first round because otaku didn't watch that show.

4. Of course, I don't feel the same as Vexx about things not from the manga. Once again, I am so happy that I did not read a manga before I watched its anime, so I can just accept it as it is, rather than having any sense of "what might have been."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-07-16 at 22:47.
Old 2007-07-16, 23:07   Link #63
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi

Quick question:
How much of the manga has been adapted so far?
Old 2007-07-16, 23:13   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Depending on how you count (some of the skits were expanded, some of the material was used out of sequence), I'd say perhaps a third of the four volumes so far.

I think I'm going to sit down and do a specific count just to validate or invalidate my estimate. I'll update when I do.
Old 2007-07-16, 23:14   Link #65
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

If there's anything Lucky*Star makes me do, it's pressuring me to learn Japanese.

Wow...those first 3 minutes caught me right away. That's a lot of precious character interaction.

Spoiler for Konata:

Too bad I won't be able to view the subs until I come back from Hong Kong T_T. I might talk about that little vacation when I come back.
Old 2007-07-17, 00:15   Link #66
Xiaolang

@Kaoru:
Of course, I won't stop Nana at episode 29. I only stopped at that episode because I know it's the only happy episode left until the end of the series. I'll continue watching it, but not right now. Much like Hachi, I was a bit of an emotional wreck after watching through the series rough episodes, and I know it's going to get even rougher. Heck, my mind was all messed up at work today, it became hard to concentrate on what I was doing! XD

@Vexx:
I know how you and practically anyone feel about unfaithful manga-to-anime transitions, but c'est la vie. People have legitimate concerns about this before, but unfortunately, the world of entertainment is not always, perhaps never democratic. It may be a sad state of affairs for the fan, but to keep things in perspective, it's only entertainment.

When I heard that KyoAni has picked up the series, I did some research into Lucky Star and its yonkoma. While it is an entertaining read, it didn't grab me as much as I hoped. I was worried that KyoAni's (old) reputation of keeping a mostly faithful adaptation, they might end up with a boring series. Fifteen episodes later, I'm glad they took the "creative" (to put it nicely) way of making this series more interesting than its manga predecessor. Yeah, there is a lot of the references and blatant advertising, but the way KyoAni presented the shameless plugs added to the presentation; or at least, it kept me entertained. I have to say though, just because there may be advertising, that doesn't mean I have to be a slave to it. I already like a lot of the stuff that they advertise in Lucky Star anyway, so KyoAni is only preaching to the choir. Also, I'm not dumb enough to buy the stuff they advertise in an anime series.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, to be succinct, it's only entertainment, don't put so much energy in hoping to get what you want from a TV show. I'm not saying don't speak out, but in hindsight, there are more important things to worry about besides an anime series on "a show about nothing" (TM).
Old 2007-07-17, 00:27   Link #67
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think I'm going to sit down and do a specific count just to validate or invalidate my estimate. I'll update when I do.
Oh, I think I can visualize you doing just that, Vexx-dono!
Old 2007-07-17, 01:06   Link #68
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. its not like I thrash about the house going "Aieeeeee, my Lucky*Star!!!" all day long rending my tunic.

Such things annoy me about 30 seconds out of the day.... its just that 'a post is forever' ... (at least til the next server meltdown)
Old 2007-07-17, 01:11   Link #69
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Well.. its not like I thrash about the house going "Aieeeeee, my Lucky*Star!!!" all day long rending my tunic.

Such things annoy me about 30 seconds out of the day.... its just that 'a post is forever' ... (at least til the next server meltdown)
Wow, I don't really have that picture.. I see you shining in Otaku glory staring at the monitor with your manga in hand going.. "Hmm.. EP 12 from 13:21 to 14:03, that's volume page 13 strip 1 to 3.5...." *writes it down* .... for hours. But your version is funnier.

That reminded me.. I got to save my Monkey Magic transcription! That's something I'm going to show my children one day. "See what daddy used to Moe?"
Old 2007-07-17, 01:20   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Nah... what I'm actually doing is flipping through the books going "yes... yes... no... no..." and gathering a not-so-rough estimate. Sometimes I slow down if a section was "sort of done" (meaning the some other similar incident was portrayed).

I've got a website to knock out tonight so too much derail is a Bad Thing.
Old 2007-07-17, 01:23   Link #71
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
I've got a website to knock out tonight so too much derail is a Bad Thing.
I hear you man.. believe it or not you see me post here to much I've been working on a huge project for 2 weeks now... I was even working weekends and getting little sleep.. but Lucky Star and this forum kept me going. I just multitask really well.
Old 2007-07-17, 01:29   Link #72
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I wonder if Vexx-jiji is going to start up one of those comparison websites detailing which parts of the Lucky Star anime concurs with the manga.
Old 2007-07-17, 01:35   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I could go nuts and do one of those huge chronology charts with tags for each 4-koma and where....

..... but, um, no I don't think so
Old 2007-07-17, 01:38   Link #74
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
I could go nuts and do one of those huge chronology charts with tags for each 4-koma and where....

..... but, um, no I don't think so
ONEGAI KUDASAIMASENKA?!! I BEG YOU ON BEHALF OF ALL L*S OTAKUS!
Old 2007-07-17, 01:39   Link #75
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
ONEGAI, VEXX-OYAJISAN!!!
Old 2007-07-17, 01:40   Link #76
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
AVPlaya, if you get me copies of the first three tankoubon, I'll gladly obsess over a chart like that (after all, I'm already keeping track of how "oral" Kagami is compared to the other girls). Edit: Same for Ascaloth.

(... at least it'd force me to translate instead of posting here all day. )
Old 2007-07-17, 01:42   Link #77
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
ONEGAI, VEXX-OYAJISAN!!!
DAME DAME! OYAJI JANAI ZO! "YOUNGU, HANDOSOMU MAN", WAKATTA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
AVPlaya, if you get me copies of the first three tankoubon, I'll gladly obsess over a chart like that (after all, I'm already keeping track of how "oral" Kagami is compared to the other girls). Edit: Same for Ascaloth.

(... at least it'd force me to translate instead of posting here all day. )
Honki? You serious? I am if you are!
Old 2007-07-17, 01:46   Link #78
Ascaloth

Quote:
DAME DAME! OYAJI JANAI ZO! "YOUNGU, HANDOSOMU MAN", WAKATTA?
Hai.....sumimase.
Old 2007-07-17, 01:49   Link #79
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Well after few episodes of Lucky Star, I kinda realised that origin content must be quite boring and Kyoto Animation basically fill up the lack of plot with its own meme and self promotion. Or those really obscure and totally unrelated jokes to make fun of anime fans in Japan or worldwide who is too are enraptured in anime fandom. In a way, this anime is very self indulgent yet able to laugh at itself. Weird bipolar by itself.

That's why some of people find it odd, some find it brilliant, or people like me find it irritating sometimes.

A lot of people make a mistake in assumption that this anime will be "Haruhisque" material in the beginning since it has the famous VA and the studio doing it. I am amused by reaction of many people especially outside Japan that is synonymous with WTF or WTH when episode 1 was shown. I mean first 10 minutes talking about chocolate pastry which is neither funny or clever.
Old 2007-07-17, 01:57   Link #80
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Well after few episodes of Lucky Star, I kinda realised that origin content must be quite boring and Kyoto Animation basically fill up the lack of plot with its own meme and self promotion.

That's why some of people find it odd, some find it brillant, or people like me find it irritating sometimes.
If the original content were boring, it wouldn't have been popular enough for there to be an anime based off of it. Though I guess some people really would find it boring - everyone's tastes are different; I personally really like it.

Out of all the references, I really dislike the SHnY ones the most.... but I'll admit it's more of a personal thing than just having a grudge against it. I've spent months listening to friends ramble about how great it is, sending me pictures and lines from it and all sorts of things, and I just got sick of it. I *like* the series, but I don't *love* it enough to let it invade every aspect of my life. Aah... but I'm getting off topic.

Edit:
Quote:
I mean first 10 minutes talking about chocolate pastry which is neither funny or clever.
Again, different strokes for different folks. I liked the pastry part.
Closed Thread