AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-05-26, 08:33   Link #1
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

dvd drive making scratches on cd/dvd

I'm having a problem my laptop (Acer 5570ANWXCi) which is 8 months old now and the problem is stated on the title. It's making scratches on my cd/dvds. Because of that, I'm having a hard to playing the scratched dvd which contains of course, a bunch of movies. Sometimes the playing just stops and later on closes.

I used a clean blank cd as a test subject. I tried inserting the disc and easily ejecting it for a few times and what I saw are light scratches in a circular form.

I am wondering if what's the problem with my drive. Of course I checked out if the drive is working properly in Device Manager. It's there and it's working properly.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 2008-05-26, 08:56   Link #2
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Well the XBOX 360 had the same problem in the past. It happend, because they forgot to add rubber cushions around the lens. What happens is that your lens itself hits the disk and causes those round scratches. It's a hardware problem if you ask me.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 08:59   Link #3
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

^ I see, thanks for replying.

What are my options then? Replace the drive?
Old 2008-05-26, 09:07   Link #4
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Len View Post
^ I see, thanks for replying.

What are my options then? Replace the drive?
To tell the truth now thinking about it you might have a different type of drive, so it could have happend because of something else. Check if some foreign object is sticking out around the lens.
Old 2008-05-26, 09:09   Link #5
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Nothing weird in particular around the lens.
Old 2008-05-26, 09:13   Link #6
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Len View Post
Nothing weird in particular around the lens.
Then I don't know how I can help you. Still as far as I know this problem isn't software sided. So yeah changing it probably will fix it, but there might be a cheaper solution. Sorry for my lack of help. >_>
Old 2008-05-26, 09:19   Link #7
escimo
Paparazzi

If the lens hits the disc you'll probably get a huge amount of read errors all the time. Focusing distances will be seriously screwed.

Is it a tray or slot-in drive? If it's a tray drive you can look if there are some obvious objects that could scratch the disc. If not you can try looking with a tray out if you can see what hits the disc. Just look between the disc and the tray with a backlight.

Do scratches appear randomly on the disc or roughly in the same position?

If they're random the read-unit is most likely to blame.

If you can't find any foreign objects in the drive you'll most probably have to replace it. I'm quite sure that Acer notebooks have at least 1 year warranty so it should be a warranty repair.

Slot-in drives can scratch discs "normally" but those scratches are not circular. There's not much you can do to a slot-in drive yourself so warranty repair once again.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 09:19   Link #8
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Well, I haven't thoroughly check the drive so I can't tell for sure.

For the scratches, I'll try to have another test run with a different disc to see the difference.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

I'll report back tomorrow cuz I'll be off now.
Old 2008-05-26, 13:30   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The good news is that most warranties cover you for a year. The bad news is that they may ask you to ship your system to them. I'd contact them and see what they want you to do, and definitely get on it before your warranty expires. If they ask you to ship the system to them, remember to back up all of your data before sending it off or dropping it somewhere for repairs. You may also want to encrypt any ultra-personal data.
Old 2008-05-26, 13:35   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You might be able to remove the drive from the laptop and cross-ship it to the manufacturer for a replacement drive. Some laptops I've owned have a latch on the machine that unlocks the DVD drive so you can slide it out. That would obviously be preferable to having to ship the entire computer.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-27, 05:47   Link #11
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
I've see something like this before, even much worst. My friend's Samsung DVDRW (not in laptop) destroyed (read : make it shattered to pieces) the cd inside. The best solution for this problem is ask for warranty IMO, since it's the factory mistake.

However, i have some REALLY WEIRD tips that (maybe) works. Try clean your cd with eucalyptus oil. Yes. Eucalyptus oil... A lot of *sigh* bootleggers in my country use this technique for making scratched disk playable (again) ...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-27, 20:49   Link #12
sa547
*Author

Another thing I noticed: it appears that the drive could be out of alignment or something like that, just like the drive I temporarily bolted to my workstation.

It should be in the proper position (upright). If you put the drive sideways or in the wrong way the drive will not read or even burn the disc correctly (and I had wasted three blanks until the guy who borrowed it to me had forgotten to remind about this total glitch).
Old 2008-05-27, 22:49   Link #13
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the tips guys.
I guess I'll try to have it checked from the store I bought this by tomorrow.

I believe we don't have any eucalyptus oil in our area.

Tags
cd/dvd, hardware