AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-22, 18:13   Link #1
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Some new interesting manga finds...

So I received a paycheck from my part-time job recently, so of course I've been spending quite a lot of time in Book Off and Kinokuniya. I can't read/speak/write/understand Japanese, but hey, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy raw manga. So here's some of the stuff I've found, both good and bad. I would simply like to know what others think about these, if you've read them.

Gun Blaze West - the unsuccessful project from Rurouni Kenshin's mangaka. I, personally, really enjoyed the first volume, and bought the second today, but I must admit that I am a sucker for western-style anime and/or manga. I think this rather embarassing interest started with the Sunset scenario in Live a Live (great old SNES RPG - anyone know what I'm talking about?) but now I can't help but love anything western-style. The art style is surprisingly very similar to One Piece, and that's who I thought the mangaka was at first. The story is obviously very shounen, but enjoyable nevertheless. The series is not licensed, the only scanlations have been dropped after three chapters, and there aren't even any text translations out there. Fortunately, it's straightforward enough for me to follow.

Busou Renkin - Rurouni Kenshin's mangaka's newest project. It's at five volumes so far, but I read the first and I did not enjoy it at all. The shounen story is extremely typical, the characters are bland, and the story is nonexistant. The only thing it has going is nice art, but of course, that's not nearly enough. The main character has a great-looking lance, though. This series is unlicensed and the first six chapters are scanlated.

666 Satan - now here's a shounen series I'm enjoying. It's nothing, of course, when compared to some of my favorites such as Death Note or anything by Urasawa Naoki (or Gantz, for that matter), but for a shounen series, it's great. The mangaka is Seishi Kishimoto, the twin brother of Masashi Kishimoto (of Naruto fame). The premise of the story is interesting and I really like the world 666 Satan takes place in. Giant animals abound. I am also interested in the whole O-part thing, although I'm afraid it'll quickly turn into "My O-part is stronger than yours!" crap. Nevertheless, the characters are fun and the artwork is great. There are eight volumes out in Japan, and three are scanlated.

Kimera - this manga by Ogata Tei really caught my interest. There is another manga also entitled Kimera that is much better known, and perhaps licensed, but this isn't it. Anyway, the story seems to be a little Scrapped Princess mixed with a little Berserk. It's really violent and very graphic in the violence. The premise of the story (from what I understand) seems to be that a malicious demon-type thing, called the Kimera, takes over human hosts. In the beginning of the story, the Kimera is killed, but the demon-thing moves on the body of a baby. A soldier is assigned to kill the baby but is overridden by guilt and can't. Fast forward sixteen years and the story begins. Sound familiar? Yeah. I've read the first volume, however, and it really shows promise. This manga is unlicensed, and I have not found any translations or scans, either.

D. Gray-Man - I picked up the first and only volume (so far) of this today and haven't read much yet, but the artwork is great and I'm enjoying it so far. I'll post back once I've read the volume.

So has anyone else read any of these? If so, what do you think of them?
Old 2004-11-22, 23:04   Link #2
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
666 Satan - now here's a shounen series I'm enjoying. It's nothing, of course, when compared to some of my favorites such as Death Note or anything by Urasawa Naoki (or Gantz, for that matter), but for a shounen series, it's great. The mangaka is Seishi Kishimoto, the twin brother of Masashi Kishimoto (of Naruto fame). The premise of the story is interesting and I really like the world 666 Satan takes place in. Giant animals abound. I am also interested in the whole O-part thing, although I'm afraid it'll quickly turn into "My O-part is stronger than yours!" crap. Nevertheless, the characters are fun and the artwork is great. There are eight volumes out in Japan, and three are scanlated.
I read what I could find of this. It reminded me too much of Naruto, but I enjoyed it. The character designs are certainly better than in Naruto. Ruby is way cuter than Sakura, and somewhat more useful, too. It's unfortunate that the author has to be the younger brother of a very successful mangaka, because he will always be compared to his older brother.
Old 2004-11-23, 00:11   Link #3
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas
I read what I could find of this. It reminded me too much of Naruto, but I enjoyed it. The character designs are certainly better than in Naruto. Ruby is way cuter than Sakura, and somewhat more useful, too. It's unfortunate that the author has to be the younger brother of a very successful mangaka, because he will always be compared to his older brother.
I can't over the fact that they're twins and they both make manga! Its just so cute and funny. I love it when Seishi Kishimoto has that hilarious rant in his manga 666 Satan about "some people have accused me of *gasp* plagirism of that Naruto guy!"
Old 2004-11-23, 00:58   Link #4
guyverfanboyclone

Send a message via AIM to guyverfanboyclone Send a message via Yahoo to guyverfanboyclone
Kimera anime and manga are licensed by ADV.
Old 2004-11-23, 08:06   Link #5
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyverfanboyclone
Kimera anime and manga are licensed by ADV.
In reply to this...

Quote:
There is another manga also entitled Kimera that is much better known, and perhaps licensed, but this isn't it.
I didn't know it was an anime, too. I got some information about it and it definitely is not the Kimera I've been enjoying.
Old 2004-11-23, 09:07   Link #6
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
I am enjoying 666 Satan also. Art is nice and even though the story isnt amazing, the whole thing is just entertaining. Very enjoyable.
By the looks of it, I am going to have to try to read some Kimera. Sounds like it could be pretty damn good.
Old 2004-11-23, 17:31   Link #7
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFSPRiNGCo16
I am enjoying 666 Satan also. Art is nice and even though the story isnt amazing, the whole thing is just entertaining. Very enjoyable.
By the looks of it, I am going to have to try to read some Kimera. Sounds like it could be pretty damn good.
I just read the second volume today, and it was excellent as well. It seems that a somewhat complex plot is developing, so I'm a little upset that there are no translations for it, but oh well, I'll have to deal. I know that our Kinokuniya has all eight volumes, but I'm afraid I bought the only two volumes that were available in Book Off (one dollar section is my god).

I highly recommend it
Old 2004-11-30, 23:52   Link #8
Cgoten

Send a message via AIM to Cgoten Send a message via Yahoo to Cgoten
Quote:

D. Gray-Man - I picked up the first and only volume (so far) of this today and haven't read much yet, but the artwork is great and I'm enjoying it so far. I'll post back once I've read the volume.
My group just picked up this series recently. Check it out. =)
Old 2004-12-01, 16:26   Link #9
noir maou_sama

666 Satan sounds good so I might check it out. The twin brother of the Naruto mangaka-that's interesting, but doesn't mean the two should be compared. Fighter Volk, what anime is your avi from? The jumping girl-who is she?
Old 2004-12-01, 18:38   Link #10
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
full metal alchemist

how do you get your books from book off?
i tried registering for an account at e-book off, but isnt it in japan only?
it would only give me the prefactures to select from...

Last edited by MwyC; 2004-12-01 at 18:55.
Old 2004-12-02, 21:27   Link #11
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I'm sorry, I accidently double-posted. Please delete this.
Old 2004-12-02, 21:28   Link #12
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

MwyC - There is a Book Off in New York City, which is where I live. It's about fifteen minutes away from my school (subway ride inclusive), so I go there a lot. I don't know about e-Book Off, sorry. I know there is also a branch in California, although I'm not even sure what city it's in.

Cgoten - Awesome! I'll check it out right away.

Maou-sama - My avatar is from Fullmetal Alchemist. The character in my avatar is actually a guy. His name is Wrath, and he is one of the Seven Deadly Sins (the main villains).
Old 2004-12-03, 18:54   Link #13
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
ohh!!
i had no idea they have these in the US
I LOVED this store when i visited tokyo
ooh...redondo...
im gonna be heading down there on vacation in a few weeks!
gotta go hit it up
there is a preowned book store here in vancouver...but its really expensive, you only save about a dollar or two
Old 2004-12-05, 09:28   Link #14
Yoska
フランキー

I don't have any high opinions for the series .

GBW bored me to death.
Busou Renkin isn't my cup of tea.
666 annoys me. It's lame.
Kimera. Haven't read it but sounds a bit interesting.
DGM have potential though.
Old 2004-12-06, 21:53   Link #15
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
dude, d.gray-man is the best!!!
go yanime!!!
o and i wanted to read soul eater for a while, but o well.
btw d.gray-man's main character looks strangely like hikaru from hikago.
and the artwork is EXCELLENT.
im getting mangas that have both excellent artwork and story/plot.
such as deathnote.
Old 2004-12-06, 22:36   Link #16
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoska
I don't have any high opinions for the series .

GBW bored me to death.
Busou Renkin isn't my cup of tea.
666 annoys me. It's lame.
Kimera. Haven't read it but sounds a bit interesting.
DGM have potential though.
I understand your dislike of GBW and Busou Renkin (I didn't like it either), and 666 isn't really for anyone who doesn't like shounen. As I (think I) said before, I can't say what it is I like about it so much, but it really appeals to me anyway. GBW in general isn't very popular among the manga-reading crowd, I admit; not only was it canceled after only three volumes, but the people on these shores didn't really like it either. I'm just a sucker for westerns, so I loved it.

On a side note - Go Yanime! Thanks for chapter 2!
Old 2004-12-07, 06:30   Link #17
Yoska
フランキー

Quote:
I understand your dislike of GBW and Busou Renkin (I didn't like it either), and 666 isn't really for anyone who doesn't like shounen. As I (think I) said before, I can't say what it is I like about it so much, but it really appeals to me anyway. GBW in general isn't very popular among the manga-reading crowd, I admit; not only was it canceled after only three volumes, but the people on these shores didn't really like it either. I'm just a sucker for westerns, so I loved it.

On a side note - Go Yanime! Thanks for chapter 2!
You got me. Shounens aren't in generally my favourites but there are some big expections, I'm sorry if I was too harsh. Anyway D.Gray-man seems like a good series, I'm really looking forward how the series evolves. Another new but low-profile shounen series I'm somewhat liking is Gintama which Yanime is also doing and in future I'm planning of checking out Wäqwäq if possible.

Edit Oh, and I almost forgot Steel Ball Run. I never got into Jojo but this series is like, I don't know, different ?

Last edited by Yoska; 2004-12-07 at 06:40.
Old 2004-12-07, 16:37   Link #18
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

No problem.

I have noticed Steel Ball Run in Kinokuniya lately and it caught my interest because of the cover art. I really enjoyed the Jojo OVA, so perhaps I'll check it out. In that case, let me just ask - how many volumes are out so far, and are there any translations (or scanlations?)
Old 2004-12-07, 20:21   Link #19
OldCrimson

I gotcher scanlations

http://jojo.highervoltage.net/sbr/sbr.html
Old 2004-12-07, 22:48   Link #20
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Nice! Thanks a lot Crimson!

What can I say... well, the series definitely shouts different. I haven't read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and even though I have watched the OVA, the art style took a bit of time to get used to. The whole premise and plot as well is really interesting and original, in a good way. What's a little upsetting is that it just seems to be a prequel or side-story to Jojo instead of something completely new. I think I'm enjoying it overall, though.

Thanks again for the link OldCrimson!
Closed Thread