Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-26, 10:02   Link #1841
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
I don't understand why so much pity for those shiki. The villagers just do the right thing by sending them to the grave again.
I sort of agree here. I don't have issue with Shiki's needs for survival, it's the way they went about it that's problematic. They certainly have had other options if it was just blood that was needed, but in actuality they just wanted to subjugate Sotoba against the will everyone else. Acting like monsters certainly didn't help matters either. The Shiki "turned" Villagers aren't made by choice and they will be forced to live a cursed existence forever while being emotionally and physically scarred.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 11:21   Link #1842
Manic
real men love pink

Quote:
Hopefully we get some conclusions for Akira and Kaori. Of course have to see also how Megumi dies. Could be connected to Kaori or Natsuno could do it himself. Should be a busy last episode.
that would be a great ending to the whole megumi situation. Drag her infront of those 2 and let them have their chance, if they choose to, to have her pay for ruining their family.
Old 2010-12-26, 13:00   Link #1843
klare

sadly the villagers went a bit too far by killing even suspicious humans, this is not what the doctor intended when he started the fight back

looking forward to the ending of probably the best series in 2010

and this is good news: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...aired-episodes
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 14:30   Link #1844
Bern-san

toshio if you just listened to the sexy nurse maybe rit-chan and tohru could have survived, although they looked that they were dead or just near death when the villagers came (i suppose by looking at their more or less calm faces). toshio should know that there were shikis like those two

ok i like masao's sister, finally someone killed masao (i never hated a character so much)

hope to see natsuno killing megumi, a shame we don't see him a lot

always like the parts of seishin's story, didn't expect that
Old 2010-12-26, 15:15   Link #1845
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
What end was that - did I miss something? The only end I saw was the one I wished we'd rather not seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well that nurse is still alive. She's the luckiest character in the series. Rit-chan didn't kill her. The wolves couldn't kill her and she knows how to climb a tree.
Oh right. I paused it at that point just to post that and then my computer broke down on me.

And to add insult to the injury they gave her coat which she didn't bother to put on properly when she had every reason to.

Why do they keep trolling us with this fan disservice? I've never cared for fan service from the start. Why should I have to suffer?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 16:59   Link #1846
Manic
real men love pink

Quote:
hope to see natsuno killing megumi, a shame we don't see him a lot
yeah thats one think i dont like about the story. Him and megumi are some of the more interesting characters, and they sort of disappear in the later eps.
Old 2010-12-26, 17:07   Link #1847
KaedeF
Moeshit hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
yeah thats one think i dont like about the story. Him and megumi are some of the more interesting characters, and they sort of disappear in the later eps.
Me too. I want to see them again in their awesome attires.
Toshio stole all the spotlight in recent episodes. Natsuno and Toshio, what is the protagonist now? They have been keeping Natsuno away for too long.
And I hope they wouldn't kill off Natsuno. If not, I will be pissed.
Old 2010-12-26, 18:10   Link #1848
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaedeF View Post
Me too. I want to see them again in their awesome attires.
Toshio stole all the spotlight in recent episodes. Natsuno and Toshio, what is the protagonist now? They have been keeping Natsuno away for too long.
And I hope they wouldn't kill off Natsuno. If not, I will be pissed.
Funny enough, Natsuno's role and involvement weren't large in the original novel, according to readers. The main characters were really just Toshio and Seishun.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 19:06   Link #1849
Manic
real men love pink

yeah i already knew about his outcome in the novels. Its one of the things that the manga and anime did right, but i think they should have focused more on him and the kids side of the story. I dont like Seishun story at all, i think its some of the more boring parts of the series. I would have enjoyed it more if they cut him out more and used nats and the kids instead
Old 2010-12-26, 19:14   Link #1850
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

^
That would have been difficult, considering that one of the main features of the original story was the contrast between Toshio and Seishin, two childhood friends who both succeeded their family lines reluctantly, and who both reacted differently in this situation.

The focus on Natsuno in the middle part of the story actually drew the attention of viewers away from that.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 19:51   Link #1851
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
^
That would have been difficult, considering that one of the main features of the original story was the contrast between Toshio and Seishin, two childhood friends who both succeeded their family lines reluctantly, and who both reacted differently in this situation.

The focus on Natsuno in the middle part of the story actually drew the attention of viewers away from that.
But Natsuno was more interesting, better looking and a better dresser than Seishin.

Natsuno and Tooru and Megumi and Kaori were in similar situations. One side felt trapped and the other accepted living in the town. Natsuno's way out was to get good grades and leave. Megumi's way out was to become a Shiki. Seishin's way out was to attempt to commit suicide.
Old 2010-12-26, 20:12   Link #1852
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
...I dont like Seishun story at all, i think its some of the more boring parts of the series. I would have enjoyed it more if they cut him out more and used nats and the kids instead
And I have the exact opposite reaction: Seishin and Sunako are by far the most interesting characters in this show, for me. As well as the hardest to understand.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 20:30   Link #1853
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Megumi's way out was to become a Shiki.
Yeah, Megumi's only way out of the town she seemed to hate so much was to become a Shiki, but of course she actually never planned on becoming a Shiki on purpose, it just had to occur to her.

For some reason... The reason they keep talking about Seishin's novels is because its actually happening in the anime between the doctor and him, but that is just a strange speculation that came to me all of a sudden.
Old 2010-12-26, 20:35   Link #1854
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And I have the exact opposite reaction: Seishin and Sunako are by far the most interesting characters in this show, for me. As well as the hardest to understand.
And I have to agree.

What Tatsumi said about Sunako this episode was interesting:
"Things eventually collapse. Everything will disappear. But Sunako confronts it and struggles against it."
If we think about it that way, then the village, though maintaining it's existence now (refer to Seishin's essay near the start of the series), would eventually collapse anyway. Sunako decided on it as the ideal location for a Shiki village for a number of reasons, but she wanted to create something she could preserve indefinitely (even if the logistics of trying to keep such a large population of Shiki alive would come back to bite her. I wonder if she even thought that far ahead...)

@orion
I believe Tohru and Kaori weren't too fussed, but leaving that aside, I think Seishin's conflict is far more interesting because he CAN'T JUST LEAVE. He's the heir to the position of head monk, and like it or not, that's what everyone around expects of him. I'm not sure if everyone here understands the weight of that expectation - the head monk is effectively the leader of the village. As there is no one else who can succeed the position, Seishin has the responsibility to remain, no matter how much he wants out.

It would REALLY be nice to get the full story behind the head monk's decision, because we might then have a greater insight on Seishin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
For some reason... The reason they keep talking about Seishin's novels is because its actually happening in the anime between the doctor and him, but that is just a strange speculation that came to me all of a sudden.
I think it's more like a reflection of both their individual stories. However, whilst the doctor chose one way, Seishin chose the other, the latter of which is what's represented in Seishin's novel.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 22:01   Link #1855
Manic
real men love pink

well to each their own, i just dont like the monk and never cared for sunoko either. I liked the 1st half of shiki more than this half. I thought it was gonna be cool once nats turned into a shiki but we dont see him doing much.
Old 2010-12-27, 04:40   Link #1856
KaedeF
Moeshit hater

Quote:
But Natsuno was more interesting, better looking and a better dresser than Seishin.
I second that.

I actually like to see the young ones more. But the contrast between Toshio and Seishin is something interesting to see as well. But I still don't feel for Seishin, since I still don't fully understand as to why he wanted to commit suicide. The despair explanation and the reference to the brothers in his novel still got me puzzled. What made him fall into despair to the point that he even became an ally to the human's enemy or predator? I wish to have more insight into his past.
About Sunako, I dunno, I just don't care about her. It's not like I hate her though.
Old 2010-12-27, 04:46   Link #1857
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Toshio will always be my favorite character of the story, though i'm also in the camp that would say that Seishin and Sunako are by far the most interesting part of the story. Their early interaction scenes were gold, and it's those scenes that started to form something between the humans and Shiki.
Old 2010-12-27, 06:28   Link #1858
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Toshio will always be my favorite character of the story, though i'm also in the camp that would say that Seishin and Sunako are by far the most interesting part of the story. Their early interaction scenes were gold, and it's those scenes that started to form something between the humans and Shiki.
But in the end she just drained him of blood so the predatory relationship remained.
Old 2010-12-27, 07:01   Link #1859
Key Board
Carbon

Seishun is someone who does not think with this head but rather his heart

It's further complicated because he is a latent misanthrope
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 13:20   Link #1860
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaedeF View Post
I second that.

I actually like to see the young ones more. But the contrast between Toshio and Seishin is something interesting to see as well. But I still don't feel for Seishin, since I still don't fully understand as to why he wanted to commit suicide. The despair explanation and the reference to the brothers in his novel still got me puzzled. What made him fall into despair to the point that he even became an ally to the human's enemy or predator? I wish to have more insight into his past.
About Sunako, I dunno, I just don't care about her. It's not like I hate her though.
Seishin felt commiting suicide was the only way he could escape from his responsibilities. Personally, I think he should have just grown a set of balls. The Shiki offered him another way out: the destruction of the village. I can't remember if that line was in the anime or not:

Spoiler for manga:

Tags
horror, shounen, supernatural, vampire