Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-23, 10:52   Link #1421
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
I forgot to mention it after the last episode, but I love how Filicia switches from the giggling, happy-go-lucky personality to Serious Business when the situation calls for it.
Oh yes, under that soft and fluffy exterior is a core of hardened steel. The moment when she
Spoiler for 12:

I think if I have any real complaint about this series is that it was too short. More episodes might have allowed them to explore some of the themes more fully, whereas in the 12 episodes we've seen a lot of things were dashed off and handwaved.

I'm hoping at least one of the extra episodes to come shows us some of the background material - i.e. what happened to Rio while she was away.

Takemikazuchi in action was damn cool though, and I liked that it didn't come through unscathed.

On the whole, if I discount the shows carrying on from previous seasons, or the shows which are sequels to earlier shows, this was just about my favourite show of the season. Flawed, but impressive.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 10:52   Link #1422
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I for one would prefer a sequel, even if it's not the same cast. The story has already put for itself a great setting, explorable history and a lot of potential for other aspects of the world. It doesn't have to be about the fortress maidens, but there is so much rich potential for even other stories in the setting.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 12:02   Link #1423
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
That's what political marriages are for. Basically the war has already ended by then since they were in a standoff for months. They just needed the marriage to officially put an end to the fighting and seal the peace treaty - after that even the war mongers couldn't do a thing
I see, I made a mistake in thinking the treaty holds as much as power as it would today, and thus wouldn't really require a marriage to seal it. In retrospect, I believe that the marriage could be in fact a vital requirement for the treaty in the first place, and it's only in standoff because Iliya died. It is indeed rather necessary - the marriage would means that they can be considered as a united nation, and warmonger attempts will be considered treason.

For that reason, I can at least see why the political marriage is necessary. Maybe it's just that I don't like the idea in general - I mean, it's great that Rio ends up liking the guy, but she's still basically forced to do so in the first place. Also, maybe because there's no further Rio screentime, that makes me feel that it feel too easy and anticlimactic.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 12:02   Link #1424
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

I'd like them to cover the destruction of humanity and the establishment of the legend.
I have a theory that both sides were correct in their interpretation of the legend. Pic related.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 12:07   Link #1425
Kon the Magnificent

Great ending, and wouldn't mind a sequel.

But there's something I wish was covered...y'know...how Kanata knew about the others double lives as...um...'mafia members' is the best way to put it....back when they put on their mafia act
Kon the Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 12:22   Link #1426
Revan21

She probably pieced it together, after seeing more and more bottles of wine apearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
For that reason, I can at least see why the political marriage is necessary. Maybe it's just that I don't like the idea in general - I mean, it's great that Rio ends up liking the guy, but she's still basically forced to do so in the first place. Also, maybe because there's no further Rio screentime, that makes me feel that it feel too easy and anticlimactic.
It's really old fashioned, indeed. Straight out from the middle ages where a political marriage was considered to be a lasting alliance between two nation. When the marriage ended (b/c either party died) they were at each others throats again

Yet it does not mean they have to actually live together. It doesn't even matter if they never saw each other again after the wedding ceremony
And Rio is not the romantic type who would be struck down by the fact that she has a husband and therefore cannot marry an other
Old 2010-03-23, 12:24   Link #1427
Jimmy C

That's going to be the first of the DVD extra episodes.
Among the unanswered questions of the last episode. In the ending, there's a large crane behind the fortress. Are they salvaging the "angel"?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 12:36   Link #1428
RedWing

Ending felt rushed but all things considered was well delivered. The show relied on extreme exaggerations, and didn't pace itself too well over the 12 episodes, but still felt fresh. Would recommend to someone looking for a light show in he likes of K-ON etc. 6/10
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 12:46   Link #1429
Sophrosyne
αφρονέω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
That's going to be the first of the DVD extra episodes.
Among the unanswered questions of the last episode. In the ending, there's a large crane behind the fortress. Are they salvaging the "angel"?
They're probably repairing the damage the hangar took when they decided not to open the doors.
Sophrosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 13:42   Link #1430
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Kureha said the Emperor already got two wives, so I think he'll be fine without a rebellious third one
No, Kureha didn't said that. It could be as easy interpreted that he outlived them.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 14:23   Link #1431
Revan21

Translation error then

The case still stands though, he can easily do without Rio
Old 2010-03-23, 14:39   Link #1432
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Translation error then

The case still stands though, he can easily do without Rio
Regardless of the number of wives I'm not sure many would be fine with just giving up Rio . Anyways I'm sure she'll spend a few years and eventually head back. The fort is a nice place, but I'm sure they will all eventually go their own ways.
Old 2010-03-23, 16:08   Link #1433
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Regardless of the number of wives I'm not sure many would be fine with just giving up Rio .
The roman emperor is probably an old man allready, far into his 50ies or even 60ies, and thats a biblical age, for a civilisation living in a mix of middleages and postapocalypse. Even if he wanted to, he coudnt... So he let her go. Because he is a nice guy.

Felicia, go for it
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 16:20   Link #1434
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
No, Kureha didn't said that. It could be as easy interpreted that he outlived them.
I dunno... the wording seems ambiguous, (I think all that is said on the matter is 第三王妃 and 三人目) but I think it's more likely that she's his third wife and the other two are still alive. Otherwise, why would Kureha (and the other citizens as well, it seems) be so angry about it? If she was to be his only wife, that'd seem more like an equal political marriage, rather than the hostage situation Kureha mentioned.
Old 2010-03-23, 17:32   Link #1435
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I dunno... the wording seems ambiguous, (I think all that is said on the matter is 第三王妃 and 三人目) but I think it's more likely that she's his third wife and the other two are still alive. Otherwise, why would Kureha (and the other citizens as well, it seems) be so angry about it? If she was to be his only wife, that'd seem more like an equal political marriage, rather than the hostage situation Kureha mentioned.
Because man outliving his 2 wives and targeting third which is at most half of his age isn't viewed good even now? Especially if he already have many children from them.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 17:49   Link #1436
Roardel

Character image song (KanataŚRio) "Adoration."
We can listen at official site. http://www.sorawoto.com/package/song03.html
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 18:44   Link #1437
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Ending felt rushed but all things considered was well delivered. The show relied on extreme exaggerations, and didn't pace itself too well over the 12 episodes, but still felt fresh. Would recommend to someone looking for a light show in he likes of K-ON etc. 6/10
LOL, rather recommend this to someone who wants to slowly get over the damage K-On! and its studio has done

Sarcasm aside, I would really like a prequel that reverted to the original character designs but kept, art, BGM, while delving deeper into the setting ... as for the current cast, it's more or less burnt by the schizophrenic characterization and mood.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 19:24   Link #1438
Kotohono
Yuri ”'serator

Wow thing certainly did get interesting in the final episode; I really enjoyed it, and I thought it tied enough to be a good ending for the series. So I'd give Sora no Woto a 9/10 since while it did have some flaws, it was still excellent in my book, and it now sits well in my 20 top anime and best anime I've seen so far this year.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 19:34   Link #1439
Molenir

Well, was a fairly good show, though I dislike that Rio has to marry the Emperor. Sad she gets stuck with him, even if its to seal a treaty. Old man, multiple wives, feel sorry for any woman who has to get involved with that. Still, glad she's free for a little while there at the end.

No sequel needed. Pretty well closed it out.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 19:36   Link #1440
karuroso

What the hell?!!? Are they Zentradi to stop the eminent fight to appreciete the damn song from the trumpet?I wouldn't, i don't like trumpets, I would understand if it actually was the cease fire code >_>
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life