AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-05, 09:52   Link #101
sa547
*Author

(Slightly offtopic) If that's going to be the case, then you're saying that with NASA almost neutered, Americans in reality will have to depend on private corporations for space travel. That's kind of sad, compared to other space programs elsewhere (methinks of my readings of Deception Point, which partly discussed about NASA's uncertain future).

On the account of today's bitter reality (along with exorbitant government expenditures), you must be correct, but some of us (being sentimental) back in the 80s used to be excited about watching the Shuttles go on liftoff (and at one point I contemplated about becoming an astronaut while in kindergarten).
Old 2012-04-05, 12:35   Link #102
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

The biggest problem with NASA is that it takes longer than an election cycle for anything significant to be done. Each administration comes in and tears up the previous administration's blueprint. I've heard that even John F. Kennedy was having second thoughts about landing on the moon by the end of the 60s. If he hadn't been assassinated and Lyndon Johnson hadn't driven the program forward in the name of "fulfilling Kennedy's dream," we might not have gotten there.

But since then, look at the history... Nixon killed the final phases of the Kennedy/Johnson moon program, Carter revamped Nixon's space shuttle idea, Clinton overhauled Reagan's space station idea, and now Obama has axed Bush II's Constellation program. And when someone else takes over, regardless of whether it's next year or in 2017, that person will probably tear up Obama's plans and come up with something else.

I've been saying for years that the US wouldn't get serious about returning to the moon until there was a Chinese flag planted on it. And when that happens, the American politicians will all scream, "How could this have happened?" and point fingers at the opposing party for letting the US lead slip away.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 12:45   Link #103
sa547
*Author

^
(OT) Given that the Chinese are balls-out with their space program, in a few decades it's not impossible to see those taikonauts walking all over.

On the other hand, any large-scale proposal NASA tries to bring on the table, it gets shot down easy in Congress or in the Oval Office, politicians worrying much about taxpayers' money... and legacies.

No surprises that China and Russia (and maybe India soon) are at full power with their respective programs.
Old 2012-04-05, 15:03   Link #104
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post

I've been saying for years that the US wouldn't get serious about returning to the moon until there was a Chinese flag planted on it.
And I dont blame them, USA has other pressing problems to take care of right now.

Dont get me wrong, I am not opposed to space programs.... quite the contrary in fact, since I am a sci-fi fan and the interest in all things spacey goes hand in hand with it. But with the economy strugling and all the badly needed reforms, they can find better ways to invest their money.

And China can only afford their upcoming space programs, because they are showing the stinky finger in terms of economy to the rest of the world and even though Chinas GDP output and export ratio are impressive, the development of the rural areas makes you want to cry and lets face it, the money would be better invested elsewhere in China as well.... but you know how it is, it is a question of priorities.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 23:30   Link #105
Fabrice
Padawan

This was so unexpectedly good! I really enjoyed it, really makes you want to watch what happens next..

Im unemployed! ...Ill cry when i get home.. lol
Fabrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 11:26   Link #106
sa547
*Author

Hehe, Oguri looks damn right as Mutta in this Ajinomoto CM.
Old 2012-04-08, 04:38   Link #107
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else get major Chihayafuru vibes when they watch this show or is it just me? It's not just the music either. It's almost like the directing is the same, even though the two anime have completely different staff. Weird...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 04:51   Link #108
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

As a space nut (especially anything concerning manned spaceflight), I'd like to enjoy this show, but so far I haven't really found myself doing so. If episode two is anything to go by, it seems likely that the driving theme is going to be how our protagonist(s) does things differently, with plenty of exposition explaining how clever his way of thinking will turn out to be, which is basically taking a generic fighting shounen show and adapting that framework to an astronaut anime.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it can be done without dry exposition (Moonlight Mile is an in-genre example, for instance). Admittedly, we probably all have different opinions and the scope of both 'dry' and 'exposition'.

That said, we're only two episodes in, so there's certainly time for me to become pleasantly surprised.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 07:47   Link #109
ookamigirl

Mutta sure is a stubborn one.
Childhood flashbacks were nice.
I'm glad he decided to take the exams.
Flushing his phone was totally ROFL
Kenji, Mutta & that girl... hope they'll be astronauts together ^^

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 11:32   Link #110
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I haven't seen Episode 2 yet, and I don't think I will be able to get to it today(I have to catch up with this weekend's episodes of Area no Kishi, Ozuma and Mouretsu Pirates) but I will say that I really did enjoy Episode 1, and I am really hoping that this is a year-long anime.

Mutta is shaping up to be one of my favorite protagonists of this season, and I look forward to seeing how he handles the competition in order to be an astronaut. With the way things are going these days with NASA, 2025 might be too optimistic for a return to the Moon to start colonization. Although I do hope that some nation's space program does make a serious goal of manned exploration of Mars, because there are limits to what a robot can do as opposed to a human being who can collect priceless archeological data on the history of Mars.

The OP is certainly one of the most bizarre that I've seen in a while, but I guess I like it. Maybe in a few weeks, I might be raving about how cool it is.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 11:39   Link #111
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I love the OP. Its all about rainbows and Mutta's mighty AFRO.
Old 2012-04-08, 12:42   Link #112
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

This show falls somewhere in between Planetes and Chihayafuru for me. The caustic nature of reality and resilience of the human spirit to obtain a goal versus the youthful zest of pre-teen years and the naivete therein. First episode did things I wanted to see done - major character relations set up, motivations explained, overall aim, reasons to care about them, conflict to juice things up, intriguing protagonist in Mutta, nice visuals, great OP. It's hard not to like this show. A-1 seem to be on the money thus far. Hope this keeps up.
Old 2012-04-08, 15:45   Link #113
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
^
(OT) Given that the Chinese are balls-out with their space program, in a few decades it's not impossible to see those taikonauts walking all over.

On the other hand, any large-scale proposal NASA tries to bring on the table, it gets shot down easy in Congress or in the Oval Office, politicians worrying much about taxpayers' money... and legacies.

No surprises that China and Russia (and maybe India soon) are at full power with their respective programs.
At this point, I don't really care who gets up there first. Only that someone does. I know NASA isn't going to do it. I thought by now we'd have a decent size space station and a moon base. Yeah, I'm kinda bitter on how it's turning out.

Love the show, now that we're seeing how the race to being a JAXA-naut goes between the now 3 protagonists.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 19:53   Link #114
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

An Irish melody, a cool oba-chan, and a guy with a screw loose. Not a bad second episode.

What a warhorse, though! "Danny Boy"?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 20:23   Link #115
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Roughly one week into the season (and it’s been a hell of a week, considering that my top 4 picks going in haven’t even premièred yet) my top two new series have been Uchuu Kyoudai and Najo no Kanojo X. The weird part is, both of them are directed by the same guy – Watanabe Ayumu. That’s interesting on so many levels, not least because the two series are so different, and it’s the first time I’ve ever had two new shows with the same director atop my list. With anime directors – as with movie directors (and actors) – I think the great ones fall into two categories. There’s the ones who have a signature style that’s very recognizable – like Nagai Tatsuyuki and Omori Takahiro. And then there are the chameleons, who can seemingly do anything and do it well – with Mochizuki Tomomi being the more prominent example in my mind. With these two starkly different series on his résumé, Watanabe-sensei is starting to make a case for himself as one of those great chameleons.

Space Brothers, really puts me in mind of the fact that there are so few anime about adults, and why that is. I think it boils down to the fact that there are things adults know that teenagers and even young adults in their 20’s usually don’t – things that come only from experience. The best anime about adults tend to dwell on the fact that we build up regrets as we get older, and we’re always carrying them around with us – like a feather-light backpack that grows and grows with the weight of regrets accumulated, becoming a heavier and heavier burden to carry. There’s no reason young people should know that – and frankly, I don’t blame them for not wanting to watch shows about it. But when the rare such series does appear (Mochizuki’s Sarai-ya Goyou, for example) it’s something to be treasured. Of course, even once you learn that hard lesson, if you’re lucky you learn another one eventually – most of the regrets in the heavy bag on our backs don’t come from things we’ve done and wish we hadn’t, but things we didn’t do and wish we had. That seems to be the central theme of this first part of Uchuu Kyoudai, and it seems as if Hirata Hiroaki has become a sort of spokesman for this generation of men in anime.

I’m not sure of the Sharon relationship here – Sharon’s telescope is on top of what very much appears to be her house, yet it’s also a full-fledged observatory. Is she rich, and is she his biological Aunt or just a family friend? I also get the sense that Sharon’s colleague Tamura-san may also be her partner, but it’s nothing more than an implication.

Great to hear Ryuzanji Shou, who was so wonderful as Usui in Rurouni Kenshin, as Hoshika.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 21:30   Link #116
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep2:
Old 2012-04-08, 21:49   Link #117
Theowne
耳をすませば

I've been off from television anime for quite some time, but this show certainly piqued my interest, particularly as some of my favourite anime have been sci-fi related (particularly Planetes). The long running time is icing on the cake. I must admit, though, that I share some of the concern voiced by creb, but I remain optimistic in that regard.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 22:43   Link #118
Kirarakim

And another great episode

I really liked the interview scene because I've been in that situation before. I felt uncomfortable for Mutta.

I am also loving the number of adult female characters in the cast: the mom, the aunt, and the female astronaut recruit. All very different yet positive depictions of women.

And the ending with the picture of the Astronaut reminds me of the ending of Cross Game when they did little clips of female baseball teams.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:47   Link #119
klare

eps 2 not as funny as the 1st, but it still has a good feel, which i like

learned something too, never ignore loose screws and dont phone in toilet
Old 2012-04-09, 20:03   Link #120
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I’m not sure of the Sharon relationship here – Sharon’s telescope is on top of what very much appears to be her house, yet it’s also a full-fledged observatory. Is she rich, and is she his biological Aunt or just a family friend? I also get the sense that Sharon’s colleague Tamura-san may also be her partner, but it’s nothing more than an implication.
I did very much get the feeling that Sharon and Tamura were a couple, in a way which was very commonplace, and kind of understated, in that the anime didn't make a big deal of that but made it something you might pick up on or not.
I think that was really well done.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen