AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-09, 17:46   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Romeo x Juliet

Production Comapany: Gonzo

Genre: Romance

Expected Release Date: 2007

Some of us knew about this title in the making for sometime after reading Eggplant's post in the New Announced Anime thread. Moonphase reaffirms by linking an official website to the title. The animation director for this series is going to be Oizaki Fumitoshi while Junichi Satou will be the sound director who will direct the voice acting. Hitoshi Sakimoto will be the music composer for the series. It's hard to imagine if there is anyone who haven't heard of Romeo and Juliet, nontheless, I'm posting a synopsis from the Wiki for the sake of adding the purple colored text that is reserved for the synopsis. The synopsis in the following is from the summary of Act I as posted in the Wiki article.
Count Paris, a young nobleman, talks to Capulet about marrying his fourteen-year-old daughter, Juliet. Capulet demurs, citing the girl's tender age, and invites him to attract the attention of Juliet during a ball that the family is to hold that night. Meanwhile Juliet's mother tries to persuade her young daughter to accept Paris' wooing during their coming ball. Juliet is not inspired by the idea of marrying Paris — in fact, she admits to not really having considered marriage at all. But, being a dutiful daughter, she accedes to her mother's wishes. This scene also introduces Juliet's nurse, the comic relief of the play, who recounts a bawdy anecdote about Juliet at great length and with much repetition.

In the meantime, Montague and his wife fret to their nephew Benvolio about their son Romeo, who has long been moping for reasons unknown to them. Benvolio promises Montague that he will try to determine the cause. Benvolio queries Romeo and finds that his melancholy has its roots in his unrequited love for a girl named Rosaline (an unseen character). Romeo is infatuated but laments that she will not "ope her lap to saint-seducing gold." Perhaps most frustrating to Romeo is the fact that Rosaline "will not be hit with Cupid's arrow/ She hath Diane's wit". In other words, it's not that she finds Romeo himself objectionable, but that she has foresworn to marry at all (she has vowed not to fall in love, and to die a virgin). Benvolio tries to snap Romeo's ruler, to no avail: despite the good-natured taunts of his fellows, including the witty nobleman Mercutio (who gives his well known Queen Mab speech), Romeo resolves to attend the masquerade at the Capulet house, relying on not being spotted in his costume, in the hopes of meeting up with Rosaline.

Romeo attends the ball as planned, but falls for Juliet as soon as he sees her and quickly forgets Rosaline. Juliet is instantly taken by Romeo, and the two youths proclaim their love for one another with their "love sonnet" in which Romeo compares himself to a pilgrim and Juliet to the saint which is the object of his pilgrimage.
At this point in time there is no news I'm aware of that states how Gonzo intends to adapt this play in their script, i.e., how they intend to approach the story, or where they will focus. There is no specific release date other than that the series will air sometime next year. Will update when more news becomes available. Feel free to add more info on the series, hopes, expectation, shock, (I know I was) etc..

Last edited by monir; 2006-11-10 at 14:57. Reason: Changes made on the Japanese Staff from the respective post of Eggplant and Sohex!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 18:00   Link #2
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Oh wow, it's set on a laputa called Neo Verona. There was me thinking this was going to be a historical literary epic. Wrong was I. Okay I'm in.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 18:01   Link #3
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Simply put, if Junichi Satou will be directing the anime then I'm on it head over heels.

C'mon, he's the man who delivered Kaleido Star & Princess Tutu.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 18:12   Link #4
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Ahaa they could have atleast they couuld have made it like Baz's Romeo and Juliet
Edit : Something on the lines of this ,Rome + Juliet being the same story it all depends on how you package it

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2006-11-09 at 18:23.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 18:14   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Gonzo is doing Romeo x Juliet? Neo-Verona? Hmm... Suddenly I'm remembering their Count of Monte Cristo aka Gakutsuou.

It seems that remaking classics set in the future is becoming a new trend for Gonzo.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 18:22   Link #6
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
If this going to be directed by Junichi Sato, this can't fail! Right?
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 18:31   Link #7
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Gonzo is doing Romeo x Juliet? Neo-Verona? Hmm... Suddenly I'm remembering their Count of Monte Cristo aka Gakutsuou.

It seems that remaking classics set in the future is becoming a new trend for Gonzo.
I wonder if Gonzo will try to insert gratuitous giant robot fights like the rest of their adaptations.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 19:23   Link #8
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

The Laputa setting is certainly intriguing. I hope they don't have giant robots this time.
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 19:23   Link #9
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
I wonder if Gonzo will try to insert gratuitous giant robot fights like the rest of their adaptations.
Of course. Also, look forward to the kickass new ending twist, where Romeo, after having dumped Juliet, flies off into the sunset holding hands together with Mercutio in their new shiney mech.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 19:25   Link #10
DaFool
Resident devil

I bet there will be airships though.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 19:46   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Instead of steeds and carriages . R&J move around in Mechas ? ^o^
Old 2006-11-09, 19:48   Link #12
Calca
Expressionless

Ah man, I already know how this ends
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 19:51   Link #13
NeoSam

I somehow liked the character design on the front page of the site, the bishoujo's character design looks pretty cute >.<

But after looking at the character section:
http://www.romejuli.jp/character.html

I was pretty dissapointed.
Old 2006-11-09, 20:12   Link #14
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The colour tones (( of the background and the characters )) and character designs feels traditionally appealling. I'm loving this already.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 20:24   Link #15
eggplant
Eggplant

As mentioned in my subsequent post to the first one, Satou Junichi is the sound director, meaning he will in charge of the voice acting, and the animation directing duties is in the hands of Oizaki Fumitoshi.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 10:43   Link #16
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I'm quite excited to see Hitoshi Sakamoto (崎元仁) is composing the music. His Final Fantasy Tactics soundtrack is one of the best game soundtracks ever \o/. Looks this is the first anime soundtrack he's done though.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 15:24   Link #17
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Updated the opening post, thanks to Eggplant and Sonhex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post
As mentioned in my subsequent post to the first one, Satou Junichi is the sound director, meaning he will in charge of the voice acting, and the animation directing duties is in the hands of Oizaki Fumitoshi.
I admit I am a bit confused about the role of a "sound director" and the "animation director". I was always under the impression that the directors were usually in charge of directing the voice acting (a.k.a. sound director) who also need to work with the people who are in charge of animation.

Btw, ANN is showing Satou Junichi as the director of Kaleido Star while Oizaki Fumitoshi as the animation director.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 16:40   Link #18
andromeda0201

The art does indeed look like an intermix between Kaleido Star and Princess Tutu, I don't care whether they follow the classic and make up their own story, if Satou Junichi is involved...I'm in!! =D
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 19:21   Link #19
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Updated the opening post, thanks to Eggplant and Sonhex!

I admit I am a bit confused about the role of a "sound director" and the "animation director". I was always under the impression that the directors were usually in charge of directing the voice acting (a.k.a. sound director) who also need to work with the people who are in charge of animation.

Btw, ANN is showing Satou Junichi as the director of Kaleido Star while Oizaki Fumitoshi as the animation director.
Ah, thanks for the revisions.

As for the staff position terminology, generally it is the following:

Director (Kantoku 監督) is in charge of the overall production process, mainly adhering to the animation production. Another name for kantoku is enshutsu (演出).

Animation director (Sakuga Kantoku 作画監督) is in charge of the key animation (genga 原画), and the in-between animation (douga 動画) for the episode he/she is in charge of. Some anime titles employ a general animation director (Sou Sakuga Kantoku 総作画監督) to oversee all episodes for consistency checks.

Sound director (Onkyou Kanotku 音響監督) is in charge of the seiyuu casting, voice overdubbing recording sessions, and music and sound effect selection.

In Romeo x Juliet's website, Satou Junichi is credited as a sound supervisor (onkyou kanshuu 音響監修), which is a more honorary title than a director, given his credibility. He probably has more leeway at the studio as well.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 13:37   Link #20
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

First Scoop at GONZO's Romeo x Juliet story

From http://www.animenewsservice.com/

Quote:
On Friday GONZO opened the official website for their upcoming Romeo x Juliet TV series at www.romejuli.jp. Featuring state-of-the-art visuals and a story based on the immortal example of world romance, Romeo x Juliet will be adapted in the grand GONZO style the studio became famous for with The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas / Gankutsuou. The worldview is the same seen in the original theatrical works set in the Middle Ages with a twist of phantasy. Music will play a key part in setting the mood of the story and relaying the feelings of characters. In his first anime project, Hitoshi Sakamoto, known for his soundtrack work on the highly acclaimed Square RPG Final Fantasy Tactics will score the animation.

STORY
The actual plot tells the story of young and tragic love set in the aerial city of Neo Verona. Tyranny rules this isalnd in the sky after the Montaugue family took control 14 years prior. The disparity among the wealthy and poor is apparent in the present state, the earth dries and water stagnates. The sky itself is wrapped in a deep dense fog. Both Romeo and Juliet's lineages are of present and past ruling families of Neo Verona. Romeo is the son of the current Montaugue dictator, Juliet (a beautiful woman) masquerades as a man (Odin), she's the last descendent of Kyupiretto the previous rulers, killed by an assasin's dagger 14 years ago. Her true background is not to be revealed to her until her 16th birthday. She's been raised by her sister. The cruel destiny introduces two people that eventually fall in love.

Staff
Original Concept: William Shakespeare
Director: Oizaki Fumitoshi (Pretear)
Series Composition: Reiko Yoshida
Character Designs: Daiki Harada (Fullmetal Alchemist Movie)
Sound Supervision: Junichi Sato.

Cast is undecided at this time.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance