Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2019-03-26, 20:06   Link #7721
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
^ Leaving aside the execution, it kind of makes sense for the characters to want to tell this to someone. People want to have other people (especially the loved ones) acknowledge them for who they are, and hiding more than half of their lives and everything associated with it accumulates lots of stress, especially as they likely feel like they are lying to them about so many things (including age).

As for Earth knowledge, for most people (especially from less developed civilizations which value information less) hearing that their are from "different world" kind of don't ring any bells, so the natural reactions are: "Stop kidding" or "Heeee". And the ability of a modern kid to use modern knowledge in a fantasy world is highly iffy anyway.
i love my wife but i am not telling her everything about me, especially the bad stuff. I have absolutely no stress in keeping that load of crap a secret. Real people keep secret form friends, family and loves all the time.
Old 2019-03-26, 21:42   Link #7722
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Right~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
I think "death mage" has good reasons for MC coming out about being reincarnator. It's certainly not a wasted scene that can be tossed aside.

Regarding military school and infinite storage. Wow, some muscle-head monkeys there. If teachers don't realise the benefits either then they need to be fired. Like with a firing squad.
Dun read Death Mage, but I heard it's about fighting among reincarnators so that is a special circumstance

Firing Squad lol~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garn View Post
^^Similar to this one "英雄機ドランノーガ" where the protagonist is treated as scum despite the fact that with only he can mobilize an entire army.
That's exactly the novel I'm talking about lol~
MC can even store his giant ass mecha
The strategic utilities are endless and he's treated like crap
This is a quite good novel, but there are many problems like how that ability was treated and also the monster gained instant proliferation by just eating a rat, but then why hasn't this happened before lol~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimn View Post
If someone with infinite storage were to be found there would be literally a blood bath to kidnap him. Especially for carrying military stuff or illegal stuff .
For terrorism too
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-26, 21:46   Link #7723
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

Sounds to me like either this "military" school should actually be called a combat school or the author doesn't understand a single thing about the real military or the real life implications an infinite storage ability would have.
Old 2019-03-26, 22:55   Link #7724
zztop

I notice shounen and shoujo isekai webnovel authors usually have very different ideas when writing fantasy races and their social positions.

For example, shounen isekai usually have;

- MC meeting all kinds of fantasy races in fantasy world - elves, dwarves, animal demihumans with all kinds of ears, tails, horns etc.

- Races come from all kinds of social positions, from lowest slave to highest ruler.

However, shoujo isekai are usually more limited;

- MC only meets humans and the world is human only.
Sometimes they have magic spirit ancestry, but usually they look completely human; no ears or tails.

- Humans usually from higher noble positions, ex. soldier, govt. official, prince. Lower classes are usually domestic help like butlers and maids.

I wonder why shoujo-type webnovels are more limited in this aspect. Are the otome games shoujo authors refer to just more limited in worldbuilding scope than the RPG/MMO games shounen authors refer to?

Last edited by zztop; 2019-03-26 at 23:18.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-26, 23:46   Link #7725
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^I noticed that and the reason is simple

Boys prefer adventure
Girls prefer romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyureki View Post
Sounds to me like either this "military" school should actually be called a combat school or the author doesn't understand a single thing about the real military or the real life implications an infinite storage ability would have.
Indeed
Funny thing is, later, military from different country instantly realize how OP this ability is and also the king of MC's country also realizes it instantly
So I guess there was a miracle that makes everyone in that school retarded before just for the sake of "revenge" plot
Old 2019-03-27, 01:01   Link #7726
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

So it's just a case of needless author self insert then.
Old 2019-03-27, 01:31   Link #7727
Garn

^^I don't know in which chapter you are in but the novel personally begins to decay when:

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Garn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-27, 02:06   Link #7728
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^All Golems can evolve coz it's the power derived from Monster
Again, why the world is not destroyed yet is beyond me

Isn't the childhood friend got zamaa-ed?
What happens to her after that?

I only finished 1st arc and just jumping around later chapters to know the progresses
It seems he boinked the 4 homuncules but the story itself kinda boring
Old 2019-03-27, 03:36   Link #7729
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^I noticed that and the reason is simple

Boys prefer adventure
Girls prefer romance
It should be possible to write romantic otome isekai with fantasy races.

You can still have usual nobility setting, but have MC meet other fantasy nobles, like beastman prince or elf prince.
After all even in boys adventure you can still meet beastgirl and elf nobles.

But in most otome stories the world is only humans; I don't know if fantasy male race is just unpopular with female Narou readers.
Old 2019-03-27, 03:56   Link #7730
Garn

^^
It gets really boring at times, but it's not like there are many options to choose from.
The friend as she could not easily accept how the MC got everything she wanted,
she self-destructs to the point that either she is at the mercy of the MC or she will not have a future.
Old 2019-03-27, 04:19   Link #7731
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^So Aileen is in the harem now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
It should be possible to write romantic otome isekai with fantasy races.

You can still have usual nobility setting, but have MC meet other fantasy nobles, like beastman prince or elf prince.
After all even in boys adventure you can still meet beastgirl and elf nobles.

But in most otome stories the world is only humans; I don't know if fantasy male race is just unpopular with female Narou readers.
There are some, but rare

In the first place, the human princes are already super handsome so that kills the need for elves
Beastmen are usually inferior kinds and Shoujo Heroes are almost always have high standing in society so they are out too
This is different from Shounen where they tend to pick up slaves as heroines, Shoujo only wants supreme love interests
Realism mah bro

And as said before, Shoujo authors can't be bothered to create to create deep fantasy just to get to the romance
Old 2019-03-27, 05:06   Link #7732
Garn

You can say that, she became a walking landmine for everyone besides the MC thanks to her bad reputation for the actions against him.
Old 2019-03-27, 07:56   Link #7733
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Dun read Death Mage, but I heard it's about fighting among reincarnators so that is a special circumstance
The story length is currently at 4.2m characters total so a bit hard to summarise but yeah, other reincarnators are a factor - some are hostile, some are neutral, some are allies. At the time when the MC tells the natives that he's a reincarnator there's no other reincarnators on the planet but they are potential future threat.

Quote:
There are some, but rare

In the first place, the human princes are already super handsome so that kills the need for elves
Beastmen are usually inferior kinds and Shoujo Heroes are almost always have high standing in society so they are out too
This is different from Shounen where they tend to pick up slaves as heroines, Shoujo only wants supreme love interests
Realism mah bro

And as said before, Shoujo authors can't be bothered to create to create deep fantasy just to get to the romance
Yup. It's not like it can't be done either - it's josei rather than shoujo but Juuni Kokki (The Twelve Kingdoms) has all sorts of interesting ideas, even non-human love interests. It makes more "modern" works look quite stale by comparison.

For WNs in general, I've still not seen/heard of any with a reincarnator who becomes a dwarf. Too uncool?

Also, for reincarnating as non-human, often society plays little/no part. Putting it another way, the story doesn't go deep into non-human societies. For example, imagine a reincarnator in an isolated beastman type society with a strong emphasis on strength and social hierarchy (ie primitive type society). There's occasionally some stories that dip into this a bit but they're always "the demon king's side" and instead of one race getting a lot of focus it's more like a generic society.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-27, 08:39   Link #7734
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

Quote:
For WNs in general, I've still not seen/heard of any with a reincarnator who becomes a dwarf. Too uncool?
Closest thing I've ever seen to a dwarf MC was this one where the MC (currently an elf) was someone who had reincarnated several times before, was a dwarf in one of those instances, and could temporarily transform into his past selves.
Old 2019-03-27, 08:55   Link #7735
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Yup. It's not like it can't be done either - it's josei rather than shoujo but Juuni Kokki (The Twelve Kingdoms) has all sorts of interesting ideas, even non-human love interests. It makes more "modern" works look quite stale by comparison.
Past works are Lifeworks that were created by heart and soul
Now everything is just instant gratification
Stupid mobile games profit way way more than meticulously crafted AAA games (non-microtransaction)

Btw, there are 2 types of harem :

1. MC is trying to obtain many women --> Account for 1%
2. Many women are trying to get the D of hetare MC --> Account for 99%
Old 2019-03-27, 10:25   Link #7736
zztop

Quote:
I think so too, especially for some newer webnovels out there.

I think authors are more focused on creating writing careers from WNs nowadays.

They write gratifying content that appeals to Narou readers so they can build fanbase and attention. Doesn't have to be very big, just a subset that is noticeable enough.

Publisher will notice the attention, then maybe give LN publishing offer to author. If lucky enough, LN will also get manga and/or anime version too.

Therefore author now has gained foothold.

Notice how most authors afterwords will always thank their Narou readers for helping them to come this far.
Old 2019-03-27, 11:46   Link #7737
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Stupid mobile games profit way way more than meticulously crafted AAA games (non-microtransaction)
It could be said that WNs have the same issues with regards to getting and keeping an audience as manga. Or serial works in general. ie puts too much emphasis on the start/setup rather than the long term quality/development.

Quote:
Btw, there are 2 types of harem :

1. MC is trying to obtain many women --> Account for 1%
2. Many women are trying to get the D of hetare MC --> Account for 99%
I think it's always better for the MC to have a mix of success and failure. Everything being too easy is problematic, as is everything being too hard. Seeing an MC trying to build a harem and getting over various trials to do so should be better than an MC simply having women throwing themselves at him and being ignored.

It's possible to have a mix as well. For example, main struggle could be between MC and "best girl" and if any other girls simply throw themselves at him the MC could get them to agree to wait until best girl is captured. If MC is particularly smart he'd intentionally use such bonus girls as learning experience to help capture best girl.
Old 2019-03-27, 12:25   Link #7738
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
I think it's always better for the MC to have a mix of success and failure. Everything being too easy is problematic, as is everything being too hard. Seeing an MC trying to build a harem and getting over various trials to do so should be better than an MC simply having women throwing themselves at him and being ignored.
Indeed

Quote:
It's possible to have a mix as well. For example, main struggle could be between MC and "best girl" and if any other girls simply throw themselves at him the MC could get them to agree to wait until best girl is captured. If MC is particularly smart he'd intentionally use such bonus girls as learning experience to help capture best girl.
This is already proven to be not working coz best girl to author is main girl and most of the time to readers she's not best girl or even worst girl
Examples would be Re:Zero where people screamed at Subaru to pick Rem instead of chasing Emilia
Also Kanna no Kanna in which Kanna kept chasing Real for a very long time and neglects the other 2 girls, resulting in people just dropping the series and the LN stopped too
Excessive focus to a particular girl in a harem is harmful imho
Old 2019-03-27, 15:05   Link #7739
Garn

Three points for the perfect novel.
-Monster girl or with non-human characteristics that stand out.
-Non-human protagonist or with non-human characteristics that stand out.
-Not hetare.

Any recommendation? (as long as doesn't have a hetare protagonist )
Old 2019-03-27, 16:37   Link #7740
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
This is already proven to be not working coz best girl to author is main girl and most of the time to readers she's not best girl or even worst girl
Examples would be Re:Zero where people screamed at Subaru to pick Rem instead of chasing Emilia
Also Kanna no Kanna in which Kanna kept chasing Real for a very long time and neglects the other 2 girls, resulting in people just dropping the series and the LN stopped too
Excessive focus to a particular girl in a harem is harmful imho
I'm not that familiar with Kanna no Kanna, but to use your terminology for Re:Zero it seemed to be a type-1 harem at the start but then became a type-2 harem, roughly speaking. One of the most important things authors should do is to signal the type of series it is early on and stick to it. For what I was trying to suggest previously it would be important to never take the focus away from "best/main girl" from an extended period of time and never give any "sub" girl extended focus - which is pretty much what you say above. I'm not saying it's necessarily the best method but whatever method you use the writing still has to be good (something Hollywood still hasn't figured out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garn View Post
Three points for the perfect novel.
-Monster girl or with non-human characteristics that stand out.
-Non-human protagonist or with non-human characteristics that stand out.
-Not hetare.

Any recommendation? (as long as doesn't have a hetare protagonist )
Umm, it's not a recommendation since I know you don't like it but I'd say that technically "Death Mage" fulfils those requirements. (All-you-can-eat buffet of monster girls. MC definitely isn't human. MC is donkan at times but isn't hetare)

Do you specifically want romance? If not then maybe "I was a sword when I reincarnated".

I'm guessing you want a decent amount of romance though, reading between the lines. Sorry, nothing comes to mind.

Tags
web novel