Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-11, 05:57   Link #1361
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Sawa, Wakana, and Konatsu fanart.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 05:57   Link #1362
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
And the shows indicates that Mahiru was pretty strong-willed too so I don't know where you're going with this...
I'm not saying that she wasn't strong-willed at all, I'm saying that Wakana determination is a strong peculiarity of her, determination that you don't need much when you have talent. Determination that leads to being deliberate, another characteristic that I don't see in Mahiru and that is not irrelevant in my opinion.

Quote:
I think you have a pretty restricted definition of personality.
Did You judge me simply by that?

Quote:
I can't see Mahiru doing that at all. This is a quirky irreverence that's very much Konatsu's alone. Mahiru was playful, but not in that sense IMO.
We have different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And Mahiru wasn't strong-willed and deliberate?

Don't confuse easygoing and cheerful for weak-willed. Mahiru was anything but weak-willed. How many weak-willed people do you think could stare death in the face as well as Mahiru did?
I'm not talking about that specific tragedy. I'm talking about before that. That was such a tragedy that is impossible to make comparison with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Also, we shouldn't forget about how the V-P stressed how the Choir was really Mahiru's baby. That also suggests that Mahiru was a person of strong will and deliberation.
But not for Mahiru. Or that what I got. That's the point. She didn't mean making the Choir her baby. She really thought that they made it together with Nao. That was one of the evidences, another is how she was trying to teach music to her daughter by just singing. A normal person needs more than that.
She was not deliberate nor determinate in music and every-days things because she didn't need it.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 06:34   Link #1363
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Very good episode, but terrible plot development. There could have been other ways to put the chorus (and Wakana in particular) in a pinch but to the point of shutting down a big and prestigious school because some sharks want to replace it with some residential or commercial area, seemed way off to me. Even the foreshadowing wasn't quite enough to hint this. It may partially be because I live close to an area where the majority of schools were seriously damaged or destroyed by earthquakes some months ago, and now everyone is volunteering and willing to rebuild those schools, despite the crisis. Seeing a healthy school taken down for business is perhaps too much of a contrast for me with the reality I see everyday.

Poor choices aside, that was a very nice display of the choir's club growth. We've seen them working together even more than in the last weeks, which is more or less what I wanted to see from this series. So yeah, I can't seem to brush off easily the bad feeling I've got to the whole school situation, but I do recognize the rest was done with some heart. Some writers involved here must truly like their characters and development, while some others probably don't as much.

I'm sure the chorus and sometimes badminton club will be able to perform something marvellous and end with a blast. But I can't shake the sensation that PA Works anime have always to take a few wrong steps somewhere in their story's development. It has happened quite a few times as of now and it's a pity, because the base material is usually top notch.
Old 2012-09-11, 06:46   Link #1364
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Very good episode, but terrible plot development. There could have been other ways to put the chorus (and Wakana in particular) in a pinch but to the point of shutting down a big and prestigious school because some sharks want to replace it with some residential or commercial area, seemed way off to me. Even the foreshadowing wasn't quite enough to hint this. It may partially be because I live close to an area where the majority of schools were seriously damaged or destroyed by earthquakes some months ago, and now everyone is volunteering and willing to rebuild those schools, despite the crisis. Seeing a healthy school taken down for business is perhaps too much of a contrast for me with the reality I see everyday.
Well sure, it's sad, but you act like this is something that your suspension of disbelief can't accept.

If a big wealthy real estate agent came in with a massive plan for a new mall, and a school happened to be in the way, it hardly seems unrealistic to me for that real estate agent to get what he wants (as long as he properly "greases the wheels" so to speak ).

So I really don't see why this should count as "terrible" plot development. I can get why it hits home in an uncomfortable way for you, but you're acting like it's objectively bad, and I honestly don't think that's fair.

This plot development did have significant foreshadowing. It was pretty obvious when that businessman spoke to the Principal in an earlier episode that he had plans that would forever change the school, and that these plans weren't ones that the Principal was fond of. It's no leap of logic from that to where we are now. In fact, it seems like a logical development to me.
Old 2012-09-11, 07:37   Link #1365
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Seeing a healthy school taken down for business is perhaps too much of a contrast for me with the reality I see everyday.
But didn't they say the school wasn't healthy due to the number of students declining?

Not completely sure but from what I've heard schools closing down due to lower student numbers is a real life issue in japan now so maybe that's why the show kind of casually brings it up
Old 2012-09-11, 10:19   Link #1366
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

look like this sell pretty well

Quote:
Blu-ray
*1, 7,758 **7,758 Tari Tari vol.1
Old 2012-09-11, 10:25   Link #1367
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
If it sells like that a S2 could be highly likely. I myself am hoping we get a S2.
Old 2012-09-11, 10:44   Link #1368
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
If it sells like that a S2 could be highly likely. I myself am hoping we get a S2.
But how? The main characters are graduating. I wouldn't mind a new season set in college but I don't think they're all going to the same place. Besides anime set in college is pretty rare this days.

Maybe a movie. They're doing one for Iroha so why not a Tari Tari one too. One last adventure before graduation (or after, and before college).
Old 2012-09-11, 10:58   Link #1369
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Quote:
But how? The main characters are graduating. I wouldn't mind a new season set in college but I don't think they're all going to the same place. Besides anime set in college is pretty rare this days.

Maybe a movie. They're doing one for Iroha so why not a Tari Tari one too. One last adventure before graduation (or after, and before college).
Iroha and Tari Tari crossover movie with the group having an adventure at Kissuisō...
Old 2012-09-11, 11:19   Link #1370
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
But didn't they say the school wasn't healthy due to the number of students declining?

Not completely sure but from what I've heard schools closing down due to lower student numbers is a real life issue in japan now so maybe that's why the show kind of casually brings it up
I'm surprised so many people were surprised by this development, because it was my impression that this is exactly what was being foreshadowed. If I have any problem with it, it's that it was too predictable.

This sort of thing is a real chestnut, in anime and otherwise. Heck, "From up on Poppy Hill" just did a variation on it. It just adds another layer to the "Hey Kids, let's put on a show!" theme the series is closing with.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 16:33   Link #1371
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm fine with them closing down the school, but to not even let them have their last festival seem a deliberate cruelty. Was it really that time-critical?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 22:23   Link #1372
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Some freebies
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-09-11, 23:04   Link #1373
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Derp, obviously the camera man had the wrong angle for Sawa. Though someone else did. It seems like they want to improve Sawa's figure every time they draw her?

The first part was pretty funny, it's like they watched SAO or something. Also, "There is no cow part"? Normally this is meaningless but I'm thinking of that cheat code from Starcraft (There is no cow level) Geez, PA, if I knew I could skip your weaker episodes and shows with that code I would have!

It's really nice to see Wakana lighten up and turn so enthusiastic over music now. It's nice to see her no longer being held back and willing to let loose with her skill and talent. It's a far cry from the Wakana we saw at the beginning of the series, and the show's highlighting it really well.

The last scenario for Tari Tari brought back memories for the last parts of Angel Beats and Hanairo, where people who had a number of interesting experiences in a setting now must face the end of it, of which they'll never be able to experience it again, at least for a long time. The whole cliche about life being about how you view and the importance is memories is most likely going to come in, but it's nice how the show has been building to this point, even if the last few episodes were so incredibly wacky. This was a lot enjoyable than the previous few episodes, though being more relevant to Wakana's character is obviously going to draw me in more.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 01:26   Link #1374
Theo

That bitch got Knights of the Told Republic.

And by god, I've been watching this casually but that contractor guy is already cliche Disney Original Movie villain tier. I mean seriously, I bet he tries to build a new mall or some shit and the kids gotta BELIEEEEEEEVE and save the school festival through interpretive dance or something. And at the end the five protagonists along with the former bitch all get up on stage, hold hands, and unanimously declare no amount of macroeconomics will stop the Power of Teen Spirit.

Jesus.

Last edited by Theo; 2012-09-12 at 01:36.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 02:18   Link #1375
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I honestly can not stop me from have tears in my eyes when I look scene or have seen the mother of wakana ^^"
Old 2012-09-12, 08:39   Link #1376
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm fine with them closing down the school, but to not even let them have their last festival seem a deliberate cruelty. Was it really that time-critical?
Maybe he has a grudge against the school? Just speculating.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 09:49   Link #1377
Arya

I also have no problems with closing down the school, I was expecting it, since it was foreshadowed. But, no, I hope it will not be all about a grudge, but the reason keeps being objective.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 15:43   Link #1378
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
I honestly can not stop me from have tears in my eyes when I look scene or have seen the mother of wakana ^^"
Those are pretty emotional for me as well. Wakana's mother having the same voice actor as Alicia-san from Aria doesn't help either.
Old 2012-09-12, 16:36   Link #1379
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Those are pretty emotional for me as well. Wakana's mother having the same voice actor as Alicia-san from Aria doesn't help either.
yes all the scene or have seen his mother I have tears in eyes ok and I did not know it was the same as Alicia seyu
Old 2012-09-13, 20:40   Link #1380
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Very good episode, but terrible plot development. There could have been other ways to put the chorus (and Wakana in particular) in a pinch but to the point of shutting down a big and prestigious school because some sharks want to replace it with some residential or commercial area, seemed way off to me.
This is more or less sums up how I feel about this episode too although I don't think I was as harsh. The tipping point for me was the fact that the Culture Festival had to be cancelled. I mean sure, school closing and all due to declining birth rates I can accept (this is not a mere Japan problem really, its a "developed Asian country" including South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan phenomenon), but the development was so urgent as to overtake the priority of the Culture Festival? Nope, not buying it .

What I do really like about this ep though, is that the series is still remaining understated, restrained and not making a huge fuss about it. A lesser series by now would have tooted their "melodrama" horns and execute some "forced drama" about it. It actually reminds me of Hanasaku Iroha and the whole direction of
Spoiler for Hanasaku Iroha Spoiler:
and how that ended up being pretty understated and bittersweet rather than making a theatrical drama about it. Sure, everyone (but them nasty sharks) are sad about it, but they are acting pretty realistic and are going on with their lives. At this point, I'm expecting a big impactful finale with a "bittersweet/heartwarming" life-goes-on ending much like Hanasaku Iroha's, which is one of the stronger points (if not the strongest) trait of that series.

The characters (especially the female characters) are still great, the light hearted comedy moments are spot on and the sprinkle of drama here and there is exactly the right amount. Other than Usagi Drop, I can't think of a recent SoL/drama series that has the same level of perfected execution despite the "unoriginal" and "unambitious" plot (which I think are overrated traits for the slice of life or drama genres anyway - more important in sci-fi, fantasy or "epic" series) and also despite this questionable plot direction.

Quote:
I'm sure the chorus and sometimes badminton club will be able to perform something marvellous and end with a blast. But I can't shake the sensation that PA Works anime have always to take a few wrong steps somewhere in their story's development. It has happened quite a few times as of now and it's a pity, because the base material is usually top notch.
To be fair, pretty much nearly every series and studios take a questionable direction at some point or another with some episodes being particularly weaker than others (in Tari Tari's case, I think Sawa's arc is probably the weakest, largely due to timing since Wakana's arc was immediately before it, but in the end it was still a really good arc - the 2nd episode of Sawa's arc rebounded back pretty well). So for now, I count two questionable plot directions, but I don't care that much. Execution is still top notch and the show is genuine, sincere and as far from pretentious as you can get without being "moeblob". The series itself knows that it isn't trying to be "thought provoking" or deep either and it's presentations shows it. Simplicity at its finest. And much like Usagi Drop did in the Summer of 2011, Tari Tari gives a smile on my face during the Summer of 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
Blu-ray*1, 7,758 **7,758 Tari Tari vol.1
look like this sell pretty well
Considering Stalker Points (projected at 10-15k), that's actually pretty low, but nonetheless it's still a commercial success. Looks like Tari Tari will be selling around Hyouka/Hanasaku Iroha level.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-09-13 at 21:19.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works