Old 2010-06-01, 07:51   Link #21
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I just hope no one got hurt.....
Old 2010-06-01, 07:57   Link #22
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Thats why they teach us at school that you should not divide by zero...

Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 08:15   Link #23
Irkalla
I asked for this

Has something crawled out yet? If they can find millions of years old bacteria living 2 miles under the surface on nothing more than radiation, who knows what else can lurk there. I'd be scared if I lived there.

edit. whoa, the above pic is kinda awesome.
Old 2010-06-01, 09:40   Link #24
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Just 1 question... what does it have at the bottom? It seems so weird that it seems to be perfect circle plus the walls seems so smooth.
Don't tell me I'm the only one who thought that there is a Blenjeel sand worm (or a space slug) waiting at the bottom of the hole...

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 09:51   Link #25
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

It's the end of the world!!!! 2012
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 10:04   Link #26
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Firstly insert End of the world 2012 Dooms Day jokes here . I am feeling too lazy, so feel free to do it yourself .

Read the article and seems it was due to land slides . I really don't know much about the geographical make up But I want to know if it has any oil deposits/reserves . I feel bad for survivors if there are any, Claustrophobia at its maximum ..

Quote:
They can find millions of years old bacteria living 2 miles under the surface
New forms of Viruses/Bacteria have been found to exists in such environments . Recently a news strain of AIDS Virus was discovered in a Cave in Africa .
Old 2010-06-01, 10:07   Link #27
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Its now believed by scientists that there are more living biomass living underground than all biomass on the surface and the seas.

There are more bacteria and other micro organisms living down there than every other form of life on Earth.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 10:09   Link #28
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
New forms of Viruses/Bacteria have been found to exists in such environments. Recently a news strain of AIDS Virus was discovered in a cave in Africa .
I think Squirrelaids. That's some serious s**t
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 10:45   Link #29
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Its now believed by scientists that there are more living biomass living underground than all biomass on the surface and the seas.

There are more bacteria and other micro organisms living down there than every other form of life on Earth.
You mean there could be something like the Las Plagas sealed deep deep away underground for centuries?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 10:56   Link #30
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You mean there could be something like the Las Plagas sealed deep deep away underground for centuries?
No it means that if you gonna spend your hollydays in Guatemala you better bring a parachute ... and Gandalf.
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 11:02   Link #31
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
No it means that if you gonna spend your hollydays in Guatemala you better bring a parachute ... and Gandalf.
*gives a Hirasawa Yui look* Huh?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 12:45   Link #32
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

After doing some sniffing around, I've decided that the OP's first two pictures are of the current sinkhole. The others are pictures from the 2007 sinkhole in the same spot. Look at the differences in surrounding structural damage between the first two pics and the rest.

Video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Thats why they teach us at school that you should not divide by zero...

[Hole in water pic here]
That's Lake Berryessa I believe.

Last edited by Solace; 2010-06-01 at 14:34.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 14:51   Link #33
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Spoiler for Video:

Other than this there aren't that many good videos of this incident . I am a bit perplexed at the lack of reporting . This incident took place on Sunday and it wasnt reported till Late Monday ...

Here is the reason beyond this phenomenon

Quote:
Much of the country sits on top of a vast network of limestone caverns, known as Karst formations. These are caused by groundwater or over-saturated soil seeping below the surface and washing away the fragile limestone. Problems only start to occur on the surface when the water leaves the caverns – which can happen when a storm stops -- as the whittled-out limestone is unable to support the weight of the earth above it, especially if holds high, heavy buildings.

Source : AOL News

Old 2010-06-01, 14:58   Link #34
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Just the place I need to put all my Tequila.

Just kidding!!!

Some holes appeared in Mexico as well last year... but not this big. D:
Old 2010-06-01, 14:59   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Bugs, Mr. Rico!!! Millions of them!!!
Old 2010-06-01, 15:03   Link #36
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I hope people are alright.. :/
It looks strange

But I have a question about the Lake-hole-thingy, well if all the water goes in there, wouldn't it just fill up?

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 15:44   Link #37
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:

Other than this there aren't that many good videos of this incident . I am a bit perplexed at the lack of reporting . This incident took place on Sunday and it wasnt reported till Late Monday ...

Here is the reason beyond this phenomenon

Source : AOL News
Much of the country sits on top of a vast network of limestone caverns, known as Karst formations. These are caused by groundwater or over-saturated soil seeping below the surface and washing away the fragile limestone. Problems only start to occur on the surface when the water leaves the caverns – which can happen when a storm stops -- as the whittled-out limestone is unable to support the weight of the earth above it, especially if holds high, heavy buildings.

That is frightening, it's so.... perfectly round...
Looks like a demi spell or some gravity bomb that create something so precise, but learn something new everyday...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 16:06   Link #38
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
I hope people are alright.. :/
It looks strange

But I have a question about the Lake-hole-thingy, well if all the water goes in there, wouldn't it just fill up?
I was just thinking the same thing. Fact is that the limestone caverns are pretty huge so while it might eventually be fillied up, I'd imagine that much of the water from the lake would be lost if not all of it. I don't know about this particular lake though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

That is frightening, it's so.... perfectly round...
Looks like a demi spell or some gravity bomb that create something so precise, but learn something new everyday...
Yeah, it's the roundness that made me think it was shopped at first. I guess not, and people really ought to learn not to divide by zero
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 16:56   Link #39
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Firstly insert End of the world 2012 Dooms Day jokes here . I am feeling too lazy, so feel free to do it yourself .

Read the article and seems it was due to land slides . I really don't know much about the geographical make up But I want to know if it has any oil deposits/reserves . I feel bad for survivors if there are any, Claustrophobia at its maximum ..

New forms of Viruses/Bacteria have been found to exists in such environments . Recently a news strain of AIDS Virus was discovered in a Cave in Africa .
I read about one rare Ebola-like disease that makes you bleed from every orifice in your body discovered in a cave in Kenya.....but a new strain of aids is just as impressive; a highly undesireable discovery, but one hell of an article to read. Do you remember the terms u used to find that article? I was doing some googling but couldn't find it...

Here is the one I was talking about > http://www.stormchaser.ca/Biohazards...itum_Cave.html
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 17:20   Link #40
Tiberium Wolf

From the pics seems like 1 house is missing.