Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-11-05, 03:10   Link #101
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Had to look up 栞 (kan) to find its pronunciation, almost tried to read it as 瑟 (se). Try to read the name in Chinese and interpret the sound in Japanese, you'll be surprised. Imagine she is walking together with a Japanese friend when a Chinese friend passes by and call her name in Mandarin, that will be confusing, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Pretty names, yes, but those are not Christian names. They're Classical , more accurately Roman names (which makes them ten times cooler).

Also Athena>Minerva any day .
Both of you, just go and see The World God Only Knows.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 04:20   Link #102
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
I always thought it was ridiculous how people always give their kids names that millions of other people also have. Don't you want your child to be unique, instead of being yet another "Catherine" or yet another "Elisabeth" and so on? I say go for Nagisa, in any country except Japan that is a unique name.
Well you' need a steady supply of Sebastian to fill in the butler demand.
(How many are named Sebastian these days anyway?)
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 06:41   Link #103
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Well y'know, there are weird instances in which you don't know if you're 100% happy with the origin of your name. My parents named me "Thomas" after the only person who placed his hands upon the wounds of the risen Messiah, which I think is really cool. But at the same time, he's the only one who refused to acknowledge his existence UNTIL he felt those wounds, which is a strange counterweight for me when I think of it.
Well, I'd say Thomas was quite reasonable. There's nothing wrong with only believing what you see. If you heard that a recently deceased friend had just risen from the death you'd hesitate to believe it too, he was probably quite upset that the other disciples would say such things in jest.

Now my name is Jason, there isn't really a whole lot of good you can say about the mythological Jason. He married Medea, who had helped her in his quest, then abandoned her and her children for the more beautiful and prestigious Creusa. He died weak and alone when the rotting stern of his ship, the argo fell and killed him.

Nice name though, meaning isn't really the most important thing in naming, it's more of an aesthetic thing. An ugly name would still be ugly no matter how nice it's meaning.

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2011-11-05 at 08:47.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 07:00   Link #104
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Much like that, who knows about Nagisa? It all depends on how they view it and where it came from. If your child grows up to think that anime's that creepy thing that old, lonely men watch every night in their basements, then she might not like it. If she appreciates it for the creative medium that it is, then she might just love it. My fear is the retarded pronunciations they'd use; it's already been addressed, but many foreigners will say "Na-GEE-sa" which might just ruin the original intent of the name.
OP already pointed out earlier in this thread that it will be used with the English accent of na-gee-sa, as Don was worrying about localisation.

I think the OP will allow leeway for that, so I doubt the origin of the name would be blantantely obvious anyways and should be easier for english native speakers to say by adding the stress to it without realising.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 08:28   Link #105
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I hate Kaori; the ri makes it hard to pronounce, and I was born a Japanese >_>
Ri makes it hard to pronounce? I'm no linguist and have minimal Japanese experience, so I have no idea why that would be. I just like the sound of it, but I'm thinking more of an attractive woman than what I'd name my daughter...
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 08:31   Link #106
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Ri makes it hard to pronounce? I'm no linguist and have minimal Japanese experience, so I have no idea why that would be. I just like the sound of it, but I'm thinking more of an attractive woman than what I'd name my daughter...
It's more of how you have stretch your mouth horizontally a lot when you change from the "o" to "ri". I'm never used to that particular action, since the other "ori" I pronounce (meaning duck in Korean) doesn't require that much stretching.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 08:35   Link #107
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Yes, in fact I'll probably take them home for it.
Stop trying to steal my lolis, be they my wives or daughters.

Since you are one of the few people who are of the same age as me on this forum, I'll treat you like my twin sister and teach them to call you "Aunty". I know it makes you sound old but hey, I am teaching them general manners right?

*digs a foxhole and jumps into it*

Quote:
Thank you for giving me the idea.
I didn't give you any idea. Now wipe that from your head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Had to look up 栞 (kan) to find its pronunciation, almost tried to read it as 瑟 (se). Try to read the name in Chinese and interpret the sound in Japanese, you'll be surprised. Imagine she is walking together with a Japanese friend when a Chinese friend passes by and call her name in Mandarin, that will be confusing, no?

Now that I think of it, that DOES sound like a bad idea.

Don't worry, I will get her sister to walk her around and throw the next person laughing at her name onto the road.

Since I don't want her to suffer the same fate as me (being a laughing stock for having a ridiculous name), maybe I'll flip it to 栞奇 (Shioriki). Besides, it sounds more effeminate when pronounced in Chinese since "奇" is often used in part of female names.

Quote:
Pretty names, yes, but those are not Christian names. They're Classical , more accurately Roman names (which makes them ten times cooler).

Also Athena>Minerva any day .
Athena sounds like the name of a lonely little girl who spent her life trapped in a floating castle. Minerva gives the "crystal clear" feel to the name.

Quote:
Both of you, just go and see The World God Only Knows.
Damn. I was hoping they would unravel it by themselves. Anyway, Kami Nomi certainly has alot of well thought out names, if you read all the kanji.

Besides, Tom Bombadil has a point. In Mandarin, 奇栞 is pronounced as Qi Kan, which in turn, sounds like 痴漢 (Chikan). I don't think I want my quieter daughter to grow up and become someone horrifying; no doubt, I would shoot myself in the foot (which I rarely do when it comes to picking names or waifus) if I name her like that.
The next person who makes the joke of how the given name reflects the original manga character is going to be packed in concrete and sent into space. The name DOESN'T reflect the character AT ALL.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-11-05 at 08:56.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 15:30   Link #108
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Athena sounds like the name of a lonely little girl who spent her life trapped in a floating castle. Minerva gives the "crystal clear" feel to the name.
Athena also sound like a name of a rich lady who is surrounded by bishounen bodyguards in armors who would die to protect her because she is destined to be the only hope for humanity.
Old 2011-11-05, 17:18   Link #109
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Was thinking of looking for unique names in anime that sound Western (but many of them are used, are common names or are Japanese...).
Old 2011-11-05, 18:52   Link #110
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Code Geass would probably have several Western names in it. Most would not be common.
Old 2011-11-05, 20:14   Link #111
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Athena also sound like a name of a rich lady who is surrounded by bishounen bodyguards in armors who would die to protect her because she is destined to be the only hope for humanity.
Whut? This is Athena! You guys clearly need to read (or reread) the Iliad and Odyssey! Athena, goddess of wisdom and victory!
Old 2011-11-05, 20:24   Link #112
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Whut? This is Athena! You guys clearly need to read (or reread) the Iliad and Odyssey! Athena, goddess of wisdom and victory!
If you pardon me for correcting you. Athena is not the patron Goddess of Victory, but Nike.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 20:24   Link #113
Xagzan

Quote:
I agree. Don't know how those two are unaware of the glory of Pallas Athene
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 20:25   Link #114
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Well Minerva does sound like Nirvana. Ain't that enlightening?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 20:27   Link #115
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Code Geass would probably have several Western names in it. Most would not be common.
Yeah, because half of the cast are alleged to be"British citizens".
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 20:57   Link #116
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
If you pardon me for correcting you. Athena is not the patron Goddess of Victory, but Nike.
You're half right, Nike is the personification of victory, but Athena is the goddes of victory. The two tend to be closely associated with one another. For example a miniature Nike is often seen being held by Athena. Likewise sometimes the two are combined as seen at the Temple of Athena Nike.

Athena is also goddess of strategy and cunning. She's just a great gal to have on your side.

Of course Minerva is the Roman version, but aren't the Romans just a bit more Crass.

@Xagzan: All hail Athena!
Old 2011-11-05, 22:42   Link #117
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

LOL @DonQuigleone & @Xagzan.

Of course I know who Athena is (who doesn't?). I was just joking with Saintessheart by referencing the Athena anime counterpart coz mentioning that Athena is a goddess is not funny.
Old 2011-11-05, 23:47   Link #118
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I love how it'd be strange for us to name our kids something foreign, but parents from the East name their kids Richard and Christian all the time. :\

NOT FAIR.
Old 2011-11-06, 01:26   Link #119
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
I love how it'd be strange for us to name our kids something foreign, but parents from the East name their kids Richard and Christian all the time. :\

NOT FAIR.
The western society is much more discriminating. It isn't 'fair' as much as it is 'acceptable'. One reason I love Japan is that they're ahead of everyone else. Kinda.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 02:00   Link #120
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post

NOT FAIR.
Which is why I personally support the choice of the OP naming their daughter Nagisa. The more names break the mold, the more progression there is. I'm sure the first Chinese people who adapted Western names were considered unusual as well, so it has actually already been done.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby names, clannad, nagisa