AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-02-25, 08:30   Link #1581
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Without crazy news of it being sold out in Japan or headline grabbing high sales number, it looks like it's going to take awhile before adoption rate is high enough for the japanese publisher to go whole hog on the new system.

The new system is going have to rely on SCEJ output this year to get people in japan to buy in. Granted it's not like Japanese gamer don't play western major releases but the fervor just isn't as high as when a major japanese game is released.
Old 2014-02-25, 09:14   Link #1582
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Do you think that eventually the majority buyers for these Japanese games would be overseas gamers ? I don't mean the MSG or FF or KH, but nicher titles.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2014-02-25 at 10:21.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 09:59   Link #1583
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Do you think that eventually the major buyers for these Japanese games would be overseas gamers ? I don't mean the MSG or FF or KH, but nicher titles.
Only if is given enough marketing and isn't reliant on otaku bullshit (aka a game and not just a photo hunt for pantsu shot). Anime is a lot more widespread and accepted these days than 20 years back. It's the whole otaku culture that a lot of people find offputting (and seriously, even japanese themselves ridicule otakus)
Old 2014-02-25, 10:03   Link #1584
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Saying otaku is just generalizing thing without points to anything. There are much more inside that "otaku bullshit" you're talking about. I'd love the game the depend on the mecha otaku and military otaku. What you hate is just a part of the waifu otaku culture.

The western counterpart is just as bad, seeing all those social games and mobile games are just the same, but people sure do love them.
Old 2014-02-25, 10:20   Link #1585
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Slight correction in my earlier statement that I just noticed- I meant majority buyers

Like for example, right now the majority sales from a Tales game are from the Japanese gamers, I'm wondering if eventually it would shrink to the point where oversea buyers would outnumber the Japanese gamers for even niche titles.

Wouldn't that mean that Japanese developers would move their focus to overseas?
Old 2014-02-25, 10:56   Link #1586
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Slight correction in my earlier statement that I just noticed- I meant majority buyers

Like for example, right now the majority sales from a Tales game are from the Japanese gamers, I'm wondering if eventually it would shrink to the point where oversea buyers would outnumber the Japanese gamers for even niche titles.

Those who have the financial means to already been focusing on the overseas market. As the japanese population and domestic market remain stagnant and the rest of the world catching up, it's inevitable that international market demand for japanese games will outgrow their own domestic market even the niche title.
Old 2014-02-25, 14:21   Link #1587
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:

Those niche titles don't get much sales outside, so I don't think they will outnumber the sales in Japan, and if they do it'll be because of difference in population ratio, not because more people are seemingly buying them, is what I think. The fact that they don't get much sales outside is also a big reason why we don't get a lot of games from those niche franchises localized in the first place. There isn't a large enough audience for them it seems. Thankfully there are a few companies that don't aim at a high sales number but focus on catering to the audience that will buy the game, and that is enough for them to keep running the business, even if it doesn't reach Call of Duty levels of sales.
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 01:09   Link #1588
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition coming to PS4

Quote:
A PlayStation 4 version of Dead Nation is on the way. A PlayStation Blog Asia post confirms Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition will be free for PlayStation Plus members beginning March 6.
Awesomenauts Assemble hits PlayStation 4 next week

Quote:
The PlayStation 4 version of Awesomenauts—Awesomenauts Assemble—will launch next Tuesday, March 4 in North America and Wednesday, March 5 in Europe for $9.99 / €9.99, Ronimo Games announced.
Natural Doctrine delayed to April in Japan

Quote:
The game was originally planned for February 22 in Japan before being pushed to March 19. It has now been pushed to April, with an exact date to be decided.
Old 2014-02-26, 06:32   Link #1589
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Top 5 PS4 launch software numbers from Famitsu.

1. Knack - 322,083 (PS4 First Limited Pack bundles)
2. Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin - 73,086
3. Battlefield 4 - 26,878
4. Killzone Shadowfall - 25,978
5. Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends - 13,576

PS. Every PS4 was bundled with Knack thus the 100% attach rate. This is a pretty horrible sales. It doesn't bode well for PS4 in the coming weeks.
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 06:50   Link #1590
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

So, it seems like Sony's strategy to save Japan for last wasn't quite as dumb as it seemed at first, huh?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 07:04   Link #1591
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Look at the PS3, I don't really see how can people don't see this is coming. The Japanese is always late for the party with new gen console.
Old 2014-02-26, 07:24   Link #1592
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
PS. Every PS4 was bundled with Knack thus the 100% attach rate. This is a pretty horrible sales. It doesn't bode well for PS4 in the coming weeks.
I think horrible is a bit overreaction. It's only behind the PS2 and Wii record sale and slightly above WiiU. Here's the 2 days opening sale data for Japan.

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)
2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)
2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)
2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)
2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)
2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)
2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)

If the 350k shipment rumor is true, then it's actually reasonable and the console should be out of sale by the end of the week. The system launched out of holiday season and on a weekend.

What's horrible though is Sony Santa Monica just laid off a bunch of folks and cancelled an unannounced project.

IGN - Layoffs Hit God of War Studio Sony Santa Monica

Sony confirmed this in the usual corporate speak that doesn't tell much unfortunately so no one knows why the laid off occurred.
Old 2014-02-26, 07:26   Link #1593
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I think horrible is a bit overreaction. It's only behind the PS2 and Wii record sale and slightly above WiiU. Here's the 2 days opening sale data for Japan.
Eh. I'm talking about software sales and not the hardware sales
Old 2014-02-26, 07:38   Link #1594
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Eh. I'm talking about software sales and not the hardware sales
For what title? Yakuza and DW8 is cross gen titles while KZ and BF4 are western shooters. If there's an exclusive PS4 japanese title, it be a cause for concern but there really isn't on that chart right now.
Old 2014-02-26, 08:23   Link #1595
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

My bad. I shouldn't had said terrible. It should be "outstanding" sales. I mean, checking the media create the Knack sold more than PS4 even though there's no retail copy if I'm correct. Such a beast!
Old 2014-02-26, 08:39   Link #1596
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

It really sounds like you don't know how software sales work. That doesn't count digital sale, and a lot of people bought the PS4 just for FFXIV.
Old 2014-02-26, 08:57   Link #1597
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Uhm no. Digital sales in Japan aren't that big like what people are thinking. They are still more on physical than digital sales.
Old 2014-02-26, 09:38   Link #1598
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Why, yes? Isn't adding up the number would be pretty good for the software sales where there is almost no game that's interesting to the Japanese? Like I said, a lot of people bought the PS4 for FFXIV. Also, F2P.

Does it indicate anything? It's better than the PS3, and if it could maintain what the PS3 currently is, I would be happy.
Old 2014-02-26, 10:54   Link #1599
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Of course. Anything that can add to the total sales is good. But my point is that digital sales won't even make a big difference with its software sales. Famitsu do release a digital sales every month. Hopefully we can see how many digital copies were sold.

Quote:
Like I said, a lot of people bought the PS4 for FFXIV. Also, F2P.
I'm not sure if a game that will come out on April did help PS4 reach those numbers. Who knows? Maybe it was the playroom did help PS4 get those sales.
Old 2014-02-26, 12:04   Link #1600
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
I'm not sure if a game that will come out on April did help PS4 reach those numbers. Who knows? Maybe it was the playroom did help PS4 get those sales.
The beta is already on, and from what I saw, the servers are having trouble with the amount of players.

March is going to be horrible for the real servers when they allow people with existing account to play on beta.