AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2007-03-15, 21:03   Link #61
DrunkManCrying

Since we're on topic on Shikamarus enormous ultrapowers:

Isn't Shikamaro totally unstoppable while fighting in a grass field? I mean, all the straws cast shadows, right? In fact, all surfaces that arn't as smooth as a baby's bottom produces shadows if the source of light isn't directly above... So take a graveled road at dawn and, voilá, Shikamaru can killz00r anyonez000r!!!!!11

One more thing: shadows can have different densities depending on how much light there is, does anyone agree on that?
This would also in turn affect the power of Shikamaru to then right? I mean, if the light is weak then the shadow will not contrast as much and thus be weaker... wouldn't that also make Shika's technique weaker?...
DrunkManCrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 23:07   Link #62
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post

So long as we can see an inch in front of us, it means that somekind of light source is acting upon us... if there is a light soucre on us then that means we are casting a shadow, particulay beneth our feet... it may be a weak light source and it may be a small shadow, but it is still a shadow... Based on the explaination of shika's powers, at night, he should be able to stretch that tiny shadow through the shadow of the earth and thusly obtian unlimited range with his shadow (well, atleast he gets to the other side of the planet where the sun is shining).

Maybe you're right on this point but I still think that the length Shikamaru can extend his shadow would be limited. It takes effort for Shikamaru to manipulate his shadow. The further he stretches his shadow, the less time the justu can stay in effect. Also, I thought it was stated that the hold of the bind gets weaker with range, making it easier for an opponent to escape. That implies there's a boundary where kage mane has no effect even with unlimited length.

Quote:
Isn't Shikamaro totally unstoppable while fighting in a grass field? I mean, all the straws cast shadows, right? In fact, all surfaces that arn't as smooth as a baby's bottom produces shadows if the source of light isn't directly above... So take a graveled road at dawn and, voilá, Shikamaru can killz00r anyonez000r!!!!!11
Anything with mass casts a shadow, that includes the microscopic germs and dust particles that are virtually everywhere so there's always shadows on some level as long as there's light. However, I think to extend his shadow through another shadow, Shikamaru has to be able to see a shadow and concentrate on it. Concentrating on extending his shadow the series of tiny shadows cast by gravel and blades of grass might take too much effort to be of any worth.

Quote:
One more thing: shadows can have different densities depending on how much light there is, does anyone agree on that?
This would also in turn affect the power of Shikamaru to then right? I mean, if the light is weak then the shadow will not contrast as much and thus be weaker... wouldn't that also make Shika's technique weaker?...
I don't see why the density of the shadow would effect the strength of kage mange. The jutsu's strength is effected only range and chakra.
Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 18:40   Link #63
Slayerx

Quote:
Maybe you're right on this point but I still think that the length Shikamaru can extend his shadow would be limited. It takes effort for Shikamaru to manipulate his shadow. The further he stretches his shadow, the less time the justu can stay in effect. Also, I thought it was stated that the hold of the bind gets weaker with range, making it easier for an opponent to escape. That implies there's a boundary where kage mane has no effect even with unlimited length.
As for the first part, yes that's true... "unlimited" was kind of a poor choice of words, it would be unlimited only if shikamaru had an unlimited amount of chakra... The range becomes limited based on Shikamaru's charka pool... however, this is advantage over how it is normally, normally their is a set length for the shadow, no matter how much chakra is put into it... being able to stretch it an extra couple of yards, even if it is still depleted his pool is more of an advantage, than being stuck at a set length

as for the second part, i do not recall it ever being said that the shadow is weaker as distance increase... the only thing that distance causes is as you mentioned, depletes his chkra pool to stretch it farthar thus reducing the amount of time he can hold... However, once that hold is astablished, i do not recall it being said that maintain the hold is any harder from long range to short range

Quote:
Anything with mass casts a shadow, that includes the microscopic germs and dust particles that are virtually everywhere so there's always shadows on some level as long as there's light. However, I think to extend his shadow through another shadow, Shikamaru has to be able to see a shadow and concentrate on it. Concentrating on extending his shadow the series of tiny shadows cast by gravel and blades of grass might take too much effort to be of any worth.
Also a good point... the rules of shikarmaru's jutsu are not 100% complete, and certain rules can still be thrown in that don't contradict what we know for certain...

For instance, while it's true shika can extend his shadow using other shadows, kishi can simply make the excuse that the size/density of those other shadoaws must meet a certain minimum... we know for certain that he can extend it through a shadow that is a few inches big (as in the tamri fight), but we don't know for certain of shadows smaller than that; so saying that their is a minimum would not condtradict what we have already seen

However, so far i see no such kind explaination for not working in the shadow of the earth. We have already seen that he can work his jutsu through large shadows like that of the stadium... so i see no reason why the really large shadow of the earth could be an exception to such a rule
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-17, 06:34   Link #64
SpiRo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Only time a person does not have a shadow is when they are in absolute darkness... nighttime, is NOT absolute darkness
Man.. Shikamaru control his shadow to capture opponents shadow, right?

So if it`s dark or night outside, and his opponent stay in darkness so he dont have shadow, how Shikamaru can capture his shadow when he dont have it ?
SpiRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-17, 09:18   Link #65
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
And I totally agree with you. However, a shadow is only a partial obstruction of light, and what you are describing is a total obstruction of light (we dont see the sun at night right...). A shadow needs a source to "partially obstruct", however, if you have an extern agent (in this case earth) totally obstructing the source, then you dont have a shadow, you have total obscurity produced by the absence of light(you could say we are in the shadow produced by Earth, however remember how in the chuunin exam Shikamaru needed a darker shadow for his jutsu to work on the lighter shadow that the wall produced, and that he was in).

Also, for those mentioning moon and stars, note how the world night doesnt ever appear in my previous post... you might want to re read before you reply

Moreoever, we dont have any information to judge wheter if the weak shadows casted would be enough for the jutsu, so ill refrain from commenting in that respect

PS: Sigh... and that is way you SHOULD NOT reply to topics you loaded up the daty before ^^

He didnt need a darker shadow since under the sun youll notice that shadow do not get darker when they over lap. They are the same. How ever if you go in and arena were they are multyple light souces shadow will get darker when overlaping if the angle and posiont to ALL of the lights is corect. If it is not you will barely have a shadow at all.
Old 2007-03-20, 23:59   Link #66
kiba122

shickamorus umtamte wepon at night a FLASH LIGHT muhahaha
kiba122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 16:24   Link #67
Youkofox
Neji Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Youkofox
Shika says himself in Episode 118 that an ambush wouldn't be advantageous at night partially because he wouldn't be able to use his Kage Mane. This proves that he needs actual shadows, not darkness, for his technique. More proof of this is seen with his fight with Tayuya when he uses the flash bomb to trap her pawns.
Youkofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 17:59   Link #68
dahilig007
KKK Ninja Division

Send a message via Yahoo to dahilig007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiba122 View Post
shickamorus umtamte wepon at night a FLASH LIGHT muhahaha

Yeah if he use a weapon like that ^_^

THat WOuld be Cool!
dahilig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 18:36   Link #69
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

It would be cool if he could just turn into a shadow.
Old 2007-05-22, 18:52   Link #70
Akatsuki_King
Speaker for the Dead
*Artist

Location: somewhere in-between the damnation of hell and the celestial glory of heaven
Send a message via MSN to Akatsuki_King Send a message via Yahoo to Akatsuki_King
Ummm, I just wrote a 12-page essay on the relation of Earth to the Sun for science class (got an 91 XD) and part of what I wrote was the cause of night, and what it was exactly.

Anyways, I just wanted to clarify that the Sun LIGHTS up the Earth, the side of the Earth that isn't facing it isn’t being overshadowed, but rather the absence of the Sun's light causes it to be put in darkness. The only reason that there is any light at all during night is because the Moon reflects the light of the Sun.

If you still don’t understand I‘ll simplify it further. Imagine that the Sun and all of the stars have all been snuffed out. Would the Earth be in shadow? No, because a shadow is defined as what happens when light is obscured. When part of the Earth isn‘t facing the Sun, that part is in darkness because the Sun simply isn’t shining on that side, not because the Earth is obscuring the Sun‘s light.

Last edited by Akatsuki_King; 2007-05-22 at 19:30.
Akatsuki_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 18:56   Link #71
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
if he cant use his shadow jutsus at night then he sux big time...meh
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 19:28   Link #72
Akatsuki_King
Speaker for the Dead
*Artist

Location: somewhere in-between the damnation of hell and the celestial glory of heaven
Send a message via MSN to Akatsuki_King Send a message via Yahoo to Akatsuki_King
Not necessarily, he could use a light bomb or if it is a bright night the light of the moon may be bright enough to create shadows, albeit weak ones.

I just got a weird thought; imagine Shika with a flashlight...

Last edited by Akatsuki_King; 2007-05-23 at 15:41.
Old 2007-05-22, 22:36   Link #73
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Ninja View Post
It would be cool if he could just turn into a shadow.
Or hide and travel from shadow to shadow like that guy from Ninja Scroll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeDeR View Post
if he cant use his shadow jutsus at night then he sux big time...meh
How many night fights have you seen in this manga? Everyone fights in the day even though they are suppose to be ninja. Much easier to draw.

And Ino could make herself useful and carry around some flash bombs for use at night. Problem solved.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 13:05   Link #74
MobiuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatsuki_King View Post
Ummm, I just wrote a 12-page essay on the relation of Earth to the Sun for science class (got an 91 XD) and part of what I wrote was the cause of night, and what it was exactly.

Anyways, I just wanted to clarify that the Sun LIGHTS up the Earth, the side of the Earth that isn't facing it isn’t being overshadowed, but rather the absence of the Sun's light causes it to be put in darkness. The only reason that there is any light at all during night is because the Moon reflects the light of the Sun.

If you still don’t understand I‘ll simplify it further. Imagine that the Sun and all of the stars have all been snuffed out. Would the Earth be in shadow? No, because a shadow is defined as what happens when light is obscured. When part of the Earth isn‘t facing the Sun, that part is in darkness because the Sun simply isn’t shining on that side, not because the Earth is obscuring the Sun‘s light.
Lets hope you didnt contradict urself as badly in the essay as you did here.

Sunlight reflects off moon unto Earth. Result is still a shadow.
MobiuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 15:21   Link #75
Akatsuki_King
Speaker for the Dead
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiuS View Post
Sunlight reflects off moon unto Earth. Result is still a shadow.
I said the moon reflects the light of the sun, which is the exact same thing you said just worded differently.... or can't you read? The result of the light the moon reflects, creates shadows, but only if it is bright enough. It is a scientific FACT that night isn't a shadow. I even checked in my textbook, and then I goggled it and checked multiple essays written by collage professors (who actually know what they are talking about), and asked my current science teacher about the subject. I had to write a freaking 12 page essay on this and aced it so don’t even try to act like you know what you are talking about when you offer no proof to back it up. Oh, and it's 'onto' not 'unto'.... just thought I would tell you.

Ok, rant done. I actually think that Kishi may give Shika some kind of flashlight or other such object to allow him to use his jutsu at night. Maybe Shika will learn a Katon Jutsu so he can use the fire to create shadows?

Last edited by Akatsuki_King; 2007-05-23 at 15:39.