AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-10-01, 12:18   Link #1
Kazuki_Kun

EarthBound

I dont know if there is another thread about this, bur since Lucas has been announced today, I think it is a fitting time for and Earthbound disscussion!~

I'm playing through this game at the moment and I think it's hillarious. xD The last time I played it was when I was 9, and I didn't get very far ;-;

The game is just so funny, I mean they have New Age Retro Hippies and Piles of Sick as enemies. xD So yeah, anyone else played this game?

( Oh, and I hope Mother 3 is translated soon ><)
Kazuki_Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 01:42   Link #2
stpehen
kisses for all

Mother 3 was a really good game. Great series, love it.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 11:51   Link #3
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

The Annoying Old Party Man attacks you! The Annoying Old Party Man is tipsy and trips!

Yeah, Earthbound was an amusing game. So many Beatles references...because the sign states that the submarine's color is purely coincidental. ^_^
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 12:43   Link #4
Sides

IIRC the NA version had some rub smell cards included, in the manual/guide book. The earth one smelled nasty, smelled like human dung.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 01:23   Link #5
Teiran
NPC
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
IIRC the NA version had some rub smell cards included, in the manual/guide book. The earth one smelled nasty, smelled like human dung.
At the time, I thought that the scratch-and-sniff cards were brilliant: in keeping with the anything-goes theme of the game, no more than two out of the six had a pleasant smell. I know that one doubled as a contest entry card--you were supposed to identify the scent, write your answer on the card, and send it to NOA for some sort of prize. Some part of me still thinks it was merely pizza-scented, but it was in the strategy guide of a game featuring delights like Fly Honey and Tendakraut, so who knows?

I was only eleven when EarthBound was released stateside, but even now I've got lots of fond memories of its quirks, especially the trippiness of Moonside and Magicant and the Mr. Saturn speech font. Beneath its innocent cheekiness and charming irreverence, it was a fun experience for its time.

Say "fuzzy pickles"!
Old 2007-10-03, 11:02   Link #6
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Loved Earthbound the original.

However Mother 3 is an extremely sad game and extremely dark overall but does keep all the quirks of its predecessor.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 11:21   Link #7
bobjoemac

Played earthbound back in grade 5 never had so much fun in my life. It was so unique compared to everythine else that was out (FF breath of fire) it definitly rivaled Chrono Trigger as one of the most unique rpgs to come out for the snes. I mean come on what other game has you beating hippies and taxi cabs with base ball bats and if you add ketchup to fries you get more HP recovered

Definitly one of my top 5 rpgs for the snes After Chrono trigger FF 4 and 6 and Lufia II

*is eagerly awaiting the Mother 3 trans*
bobjoemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 15:52   Link #8
~ Lawliet ~

Although I have only played the original, I didn't care for it so much. Even so, I see not what it is any of you see in it.
~ Lawliet ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 17:34   Link #9
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Earthbound is still one of my favorite games to this day. Love the humor and the overall style of the game, as well as the soundtrack. Many of the songs are permanently ingrained into my memory, especially the Soundstone and Fourside themes.

And yeah, those scratch and sniff stickers were for the most part disgusting. The one that smelled like bananas was fine but the mole and mushroom boss ones were horrible.

Oh, and Jeff was such a broken character -
Spoiler for gameplay strategy:
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 12:30   Link #10
EternalDragonWarrior
Haruhiist/Konata Fanboy

Earthbound sure was unique to say the least, especially in the category of enemy names. New Age Retro Hippie? Carefree Bomb? Not many games are like that XD
EternalDragonWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 23:47   Link #11
WhiteWings

Earthbound... I was suprised at how fun it was considering the designs seemed be done by a gang of kindergarteners. I almost thought it was a fan made one like Tsukihime.
Old 2007-10-09, 17:33   Link #12
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Earthbound... I was suprised at how fun it was considering the designs seemed be done by a gang of kindergarteners. I almost thought it was a fan made one like Tsukihime.
Haha, that reminds me of 7th grade art class long ago when I tried to draw and paint the Titanic Ant boss and failed miserably. A fine showcase of my sub-kindergarten art skills which I still possess today. I imagine the teacher probably thought I was crazy too; out of any subject in the world I picked a giant scribbly cartoon ant.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 10:50   Link #13
Jeiku

Bump, since I recently discovered this series and absolutely must vent it (also c/p'ing what I wrote from another forum):

I just recently played and beat EarthBound Zero, and I just utterly fell in love with the series because of it. The gameplay itself isn't anything noteworthy, but the setting, enemies, weapons, and witty dialogue alone were enough to keep me playing until I was finished. The final boss was also very innovative and very cinematic without feeling like a mere cutscene battle. And honestly, I was very emotionally touched at quite a few scenes in the game, such as Ninten and Ana's scene near the end as well as the extended ending in the English prototype. This is probably the most wonderful NES game I have ever played, and probably my first real entry into the old-school RPG realm. Nothing too challenging or simple, and while it could have used with some organization (having to manually choose every action via a menu...), I grew naturally accustomed to everything in it. I could probably go on about oh I can't believe Nintendo didn't bother releasing this after fully localizing it and everything, but I guess I can, and now I can see why EarthBound wasn't very popular at all. It's a niche title that doesn't try to be ahead of its time (and it isn't, aside from breaking away from the medieval era routine), but it's full of nostalgia that older fans of RPGs can enjoy very much and look back on fondly.

I'm hoping to get around to playing EarthBound on the SNES soon, and I'm looking forward to that MOTHER 3 fan translation. Seriously, just watching the English title screen of EarthBound fills me with excitement. Just as you would expect from a game that homages 1950s sci-fi B-movies. It's fantastic.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 12:03   Link #14
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

One thing that most english speaking fans don't realize is that earthbound was probably the greatest english localization of any SNES game... Perhaps even any GAME.

It managed to keep the humor pitch perfect, and stay relatively close to the original. It also had to contend with the pretty tight space constraints that the SNES placed on the text bubbles.

I'll admit I only played the game on an emulator, I never owned it when I was a kid, but the first time I beat it... well I was really impressed. A game that is completely silly ends up having one of the unsuspectingly deepest plots of any RPG on the SNES. If the battle system were a bit less repetitive I'd say it would be the best one on the SNES, but as it is I'd place it 3rd behind chrono trigger and FF VI.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 01:00   Link #15
Roll

Wee! At last the MOTHER3 fan translation is out! I'm so in love with this thing! It's perfect xD It came out today, and I'm already by the 3rd chapter xD
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 14:39   Link #16
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

My chart is finally complete:

Manly = Flint
Badass = Captain Falcon
Manly Badass = Big Boss
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 14:49   Link #17
ChainLegacy
廉頗

EarthBound was one of the first games I ever owned as a kid (got it with my SNES for Christmas) and to this day it still sits at the top of my list, and that's saying something, since at some points in my (early) life all I did was play video games. It is unique, hilarious, and even has a well-done plot all at once.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote