AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-11-27, 21:10   Link #121
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
The hard part about doing crossovers is that people want to follow canon to *some* degree.
Quote:
It's not a bad thing to cover the base canon, but going scene for scene is bad.
These I agree. In the end there must be a semblance to canon, otherwise it wouldn't fell like the same setting. Which is why events that canonically happened with minimal influence from Saito should still happen, such as Albion's invasion on Tristain, King Joseph's political machination, Tabitha's tenure as a chevalier, and many others. But still, the outcome is not necessarily the same.

But as you said, going scene for scene would be bad. take the duel with Guiche for example. Half the reason the fight happened was because Saito was hot-headed enough to not let the matter go. But Yuuno isn't exactly someone rash, so his reaction might be different. And even if for some reason he accepted the challenge anyway, duels are forbidden between nobles, and since in Tristain control over magic makes you a noble, the fight might not end up happening after all.

If Yuuno follows the same exact steps as Saito, than he is less Yuuno Scrya and more Hiiraga Saito with Yuuno Scrya's powers.

Edit: I realized some of these points are already addressed one post before. I took too much time to write >.<
Old 2011-11-27, 21:57   Link #122
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Edit: I realized some of these points are already addressed one post before. I took too much time to write >.<
They're still good points to make.

Quote:
If Yuuno follows the same exact steps as Saito, than he is less Yuuno Scrya and more Hiiraga Saito with Yuuno Scrya's powers.
And that would be bad, if only because half the point of substituting someone else for Saito, as I hear it, is to have someone else besides Saito.

But speaking of canonical love-interests, if anyone did write such a crossover, would anyone want to see Louise and Yuuno as a couple? Keeping in mind that they would be the same age.

I personally don't think it's necessary that Louise falls in love with her familiar or vice versa, and I'm not convinced that Louise and Yuuno have much compatibility with each other.

Heck, he might have more with Tabitha. Siesta too.

I also wonder if Kirche and Henrietta would be as interested in Yuuno as they were in Saito. While Yuuno has no lack of courage, he's a lot mousy-er than Saito.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 21:58   Link #123
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Yeah, there's a crossover using Chrono but the author's insistence on sticking to canon requires Chrono to act OOC, which is why I couldn't stand it even with my usually high threshold for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Well, so long as whoever willing to write the story dares to make drastic changes, I guess. The current ZnT Crossover trend of "Get a character from another series and make him take the same paths as Saito, only more awesome!!!(duel with Guiche, mission to the prince, last stand at Albion, etc)" was overused IMO. Instead of having [Insert Character Here] take the same path as Saito, it's better to have them change the course of the story. Maybe even set the entire setting on fire
Well, if you've even a passing familiarity with Prototype, Unfamiliar does a good job of skewering the existing plot.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 22:03   Link #124
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
Yeah, there's a crossover using Chrono but the author's insistence on sticking to canon requires Chrono to act OOC, which is why I couldn't stand it even with my usually high threshold for crap.
I refused to read it because I ship ChronoAmy. ChronoHaremOfGirlsFromACompletelyDifferentSeries didn't sit well with me.

Also, I just didn't see anything interesting in the idea. Chrono doesn't offer the same dramatic or comedic possibilities that Yuuno does.

One of which being Yuuno's lack of conventional blasty firepower; Chrono can solve so many problems just with S2U, and more if he has Durandal.

Chrono also cannot pretend to be just a normal familiar until an appropriate moment, either.

Quote:
if you've even a passing familiarity with Prototype, Unfamiliar does a good job of skewering the existing plot.
Which is helped along by skewing the the existing backstory as well.

The least change of which is that the Zero jet fighter is replaced with a Black Watch helicopter.

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 2011-11-28 at 12:13.
Old 2011-11-28, 05:00   Link #125
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Anyone ever seen Boukenger, by chance? Its one of the Super Sentai series, and the premise is a specially trained team working for an organization that have to locate and contain dangerous artifacts before they can be used for evil.

The possibilities are, I should think, obvious.
I really like the idea of teaming RF6 with a Super Sentai team from quite a while. Boukenger fits well due to it's "mystical treasure hunting" theme as also the various factions of villains. The other Sentai i think fits the most is Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger, they fit so well with the StrikerS era that is almost scary xD!

RF6: Set UP!
Dekaranger: Emergency, DEKARANGER!

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 06:28   Link #126
Zero Hurricane
I'm here for the reason..

Send a message via Yahoo to Zero Hurricane
What about Nanoha and Kamen Rider? Which one is most suitable for Nanoha cast?

IMO, Kabuto are suitable for Fate.
Old 2011-11-28, 15:30   Link #127
Justin_Brett

Touma is Den-O, obviously. Or Agito, I guess, if he had a third teammate with biological powers.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 15:53   Link #128
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

If we can tweak canon a bit, Hayate would make a perfect Den-O with her guardians.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 18:33   Link #129
Zero Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Touma is Den-O, obviously. Or Agito, I guess, if he had a third teammate with biological powers.
I think Gills suits him, especially in Exceed Form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
If we can tweak canon a bit, Hayate would make a perfect Den-O with her guardians.
So...

Hayate: Ryotaro
Wolkenritter: Momo Ura Kin Ryuu?
Old 2011-11-28, 18:45   Link #130
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Exactly! Though only in function, since their personalities tend to be vastly different. The impulsive, action hungry Momotaros couldn't be further from the calm and collected Signum in personality.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 19:42   Link #131
Justin_Brett

Hayate also wouldn't be overshadowed by the whole cast, so not a perfect Ryotaro either.

...but that means either Shamal or Zafira is Urataros.
Old 2011-11-28, 20:32   Link #132
Zero Hurricane

What about Subaru and the others?
Old 2011-11-28, 20:57   Link #133
Justin_Brett

Fourze, if we're going personality-wise.
Old 2011-11-28, 22:20   Link #134
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
as for Yuuno replacing Saito. Does any of Yuuno's spell count as a Void Spell?
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 22:27   Link #135
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIchiNi View Post
as for Yuuno replacing Saito. Does any of Yuuno's spell count as a Void Spell?
Wait, Yuuno with the powers of a Gandalfr?

...talking about a Game Breaker xD!

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-28, 23:05   Link #136
Sunder the Gold

First of all, the common elemental magics of Louise's world could be seen as wide-spread Elemental Conversion Affinties, with Void Magic being more analogous to regular Midchildan magic.

Explosion is a bombardment attack like Divine Buster, Dispel is a brief Anti-Magilink Wave, Illusion is like Teana's trick on steroids, etc.

So yeah, Yuuno would be kind of like a Void Magician, except much weaker, and with completely different specialties.

Second of all, if such a crossover is written, the lineages that got the Gandalfr would get the Windalfr instead, and vice-versa. Likewise, Derflinger would end up elsewhere and get picked up by the guy who turns out to the Gandalfr.

Thus, Yuuno would end up a the Right Hand / Sword of God who commands beasts. Because commanding woodland creatures and summoning dragons is much more suitable for the ferret changleing mage than mastery of any weapon.

Seriously, when would Yuuno ever pick up a sword when he can conjure a shield or bind? Also, he can fly.
Old 2011-11-28, 23:11   Link #137
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

I just put two and two togheter:

Unfeazable mastery of Barriers/Shields + Expertise with ANY artifact meant as a weapon = Game Breaker xD

He will be like the ultimate Spartan xD

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-28, 23:14   Link #138
Sunder the Gold

Yuuno is not a swordsman.

Besides, swordsman with impenetrable barriers would be one of those elves.

And rather than defeat an elf with swordsmanship or offensive magic, Yuuno would probably just teleport the asshole away.

Let's see Counterspell defend against THAT.

... I mean, assuming that Counterspell isn't just a defense against blasty/bindy-type spells.
Old 2011-11-28, 23:18   Link #139
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

A Gandalfr is not just a swordsman, he can be ANYTHING weapon-related!

Yuuno suddenly will gain instant expertise with any kind of weapon: swords, spears, guns, battle vehicles, all sorts of artillery and probably even magical devices xD!

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-28, 23:20   Link #140
Sunder the Gold

But that's not Yuuno. It just doesn't FIT.

He's a warrior when he needs to be, but he's ultimately a scholar, not a fighter. If he was the kind of guy who used weapons, he'd already have a weapon, or at least a single shooting-type spell.