AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-25, 10:52   Link #61
stpehen
kisses for all

For fun, my current top ten.

1) Nasu [so frustrating and yet rewarding to translate]
2) Real [the top of Inoue's game]
3) Believers [amazing]
4) 20th Century Boys [dragging a lot lately, but still tremendous]
5) Ryuguden [pure fun]
6) Helter Skelter [enjoying this much more than River's Edge; it's even more fcked up]
7) Narutaru [good twists]
8) H2 [the more I read, the more I am convinced this is Adachi's masterpiece]
9) Gantz [mindless entertainment at its best]
10) Death Note [how can this possibly run in Weekly Jump]
Old 2004-06-25, 15:21   Link #62
Summer Soldier

Emphasis on CURRENT manga (as in, ongoing). I’m listing them alphabetically by author.

-Heibon Ponchi – George Asakura (George Asakura’s first delve into manga targeted at the male audience works on a splendid level.)

-Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa – Nobuyuki Fukumoto (I’m still not sure if this manga is supposed to be a serious piece or a comedy. )

-Noramimi – Kazuo Hara (If this series doesn’t touch you, then you either have no heart or must have spent a childhood that was utterly devoid of any sense of wonder or magic.)

-Shiawase Danchi – Jiro Hasukoda (A pet favorite. Who doesn’t enjoy laughing at stupid, poor people? And yet the characters are so endearing and so human that you just can’t help but sympathize with them.)

-Soil – Atsushi Kaneko (It’s Atsushi Kaneko, one of the most stylish manga artists out there right now. Need I say more?)

-Ultra Heaven – Keiichi Koike (I’m so glad that this series has finally started again. Eagerly awaiting volume 2.)

-Freesia – Jiro Matsumoto (In Tropical Citron, you had a main character who was sane and everyone else was mad. With Freesia, the main character is a total nut case.)

-Ryuguden– Toyokazu Matsunaga (Mutated fish monsters are cool.)

-Danchi Tomoo – Tobira Oda (Whether he’s writing for an alternative mag like Comic Cue or a mainstream mag like Big Comic Spirits, the one fact that remains is that Tobira Oda is a comic genius.)

-Hotta – Naoki Yamamoto (Do I understand what’s going on in this manga? Hell no. But I love it anyway, just for the mental trip that it gives you.)
Old 2004-07-10, 14:35   Link #63
Hiei
The Black Dragon

my top 10 in no particular order:
1. Dragon Ball
2. Yuu Yuu Hakusho
3. Rurouni Kenshin
4. Shin Tekken Chinmi
5. One Piece
6. Naruto
7. Shaman King
8. Wild Base Ballers
9. Samurai Deeper Kyo
10. X - Magic Knight Rayearth - Sailor Moon - Shoot! - Tennis no Oujisama - Hamerun no Violin Hiki

oops..

-- current most favourite
Old 2004-07-10, 17:43   Link #64
ninjakirby

The top two are dead on, but the rest under the line can go in any order.

01. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Hirohiko Araki.
02. 20th Century Boys - Urasawa Naoki.
03. Homunculus - Hideo Yamamoto.
04. G Senjou Heaven's Door - Nihonbashi Yoko.
05. Berserk - Kentaro Miura.
06. Rookies - Morita Masanori.
07. Sakigake!! Cromartie High School - Eiji Nonaka.
08. REAL - Inoue Takehiko.
09. Monster - Naoki Urasawa
10. Steel Ball Run - Hirohiko Araki

Honourable Mentions (in any order):
Yotsuba to! - Kiyohiko Azuma.
Pluto - Naoki Urasawa
Kimi no Kakera (Pieces of You) - Takahashi Shin
Rokudenashi Blues - Morita Masanori. (I haven't read enough yet)
Hareluya II BOY - Umezawa Haruto
GANTZ - Hiroya Oku
Alive - Takahashi Tsutomu
Blue Heaven - Takahashi Tsutomu
Initial D - Shigeno Shuichi.
Beck - Sakuishi Harold
Bremen - Umezawa Haruto

Last edited by ninjakirby; 2004-12-29 at 00:40.
Old 2004-07-13, 12:46   Link #65
tanuki

Just some of the 10 I try to keep up with:

1. Gantz
2. Bleach
3. Ichigo 100%
4. Perfect Girl Evolution
5. Skip Beat
6. Tende Freeze
7. Gekkoh
8. Genshiken
9. Girls Bravo
10. IO
Old 2004-07-14, 00:39   Link #66
Mankool

There are two mangas I can tell you that will not disappoint you guaranteed! One of them being Naruto! The other being Shadow Star (Narutaru)!
.hack is okay i guess..... and Brain Powered is just plain confusing and isn't popular at all... So my top ten: (reduced to 2)
(in no particular order)
1. Naruto
2. Shadow Star (Narutaru)
Not really suggesting but okay:
.hack
Confusing:
Brain Powered
Old 2004-07-14, 15:35   Link #67
AzrielBlack
Guardian Of Deamons

Send a message via AIM to AzrielBlack Send a message via MSN to AzrielBlack
I only like two mangas at the moment:

1) 20th century boys
2) Gantz

Although i havent given thought to trying anything else at the time being because these two are taking up quiet alot of my readin time.
Old 2004-07-22, 19:07   Link #68
KomikaruNe

Cool

Manga I'm reading now (in no particular order, except for Blade, which is my current favorite manga)

Blade of the Immortal
GTO
Hot Gimmick
Fushigi Yugi
The Wanderer
Tokyo Babylon
X/1999
Lament of the Lamb
Naruto
Pita-Ten

Good luck!
Old 2004-08-09, 02:13   Link #69
g33k
Just another anime fool

Send a message via MSN to g33k
THE most important manga

hi im actually a n00b in manga.. so i just wanted to know if u could give me like a list from 5 to 10 titles that any person MUST have read (plz identify if they are licensed plz ) thx for ur help

edit: Btw im an ecchi (dunno if i got that 1 right romance/comedy) fan so could u plz put next to the title if its ecchi ? thx ;D (that doesnt mean the list has to be all ecchi ;D)
Old 2004-08-09, 16:16   Link #70
ShikaShika
無罪

I think I'm reading too few mangas to really do a top ten, but I can try and make a list of those I'm currently reading and enjoying:

Death Note (Best thing i'm currently reading, if you like smart people outsmarting eachother, then you'll like this. Ok, that didn't give it enough credit, but meh...)

Gantz (I almost feel like a gantzotard. Anyway, really cool and doesn't play it cheap with the blood.)

Hajime no Ippo (Hmm dunno what to say... )

Prince of tennis (Far outclasses the anime...)

Yakitate Japan (Only read first volume, but enjoyed it. I'm gonna try out the anime a little before continuing.)

Of course then there's naruto, but meh...
Old 2004-08-12, 07:33   Link #71
kyok

Aishiteruze Baby (cute story, great art about guy raising orphaned cousin)
Kare Kano (romance)
Hot Gimmick (romance with twisted relationships)
Naruto (ninja dbz)
Hana Kimi (not quite as good as hot gimmick, main girl crossdresses)
Azumanga Daioh (funny comic strips with wacky girls)
Gantz (twilight zone like)
Tenjou Tenge (great art, story isn't the greatest..)
Your and My Secret (lovely artwork)

I'm more into shoujo manga, with some shonen anime.

Stuff that I will probably pick up.. eventually
Fruits Basket
Berserk (great anime)
GTO (ditto)
Initial D (er, wasn't it butchered)
Hunter x Hunter (is that licenced?)

From this thread I'm going to look up:
20th Century Boys
Bleach (think i saw that at the comic store)
Ichigo 100%
Yakitate Japan
Legend of Basara (carolyng808's list matches mine)
Black Cat
Old 2004-08-12, 08:48   Link #72
Silent Otaku

I hate to sound like a broken record but
Tenjo Tenge has to be in the top 3 this month(Maybe #1), as far as sales

Want evidence, try buying the Vol. 12 that comes with Aya figurine online. It comes out on the 19th

All the preorders are sold out, and if you can get someone to sell it to you. They will probably grossly over charge you and say "Supply & Demand"
Old 2004-08-13, 16:25   Link #73
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
not in any order but heres what i read

Gantz - Im disgusted at myself for reading this but its too interesting to stop reading
DearS - Picked it up after watching anime, more funnier than anime.
Yakitate Japan - First cooking manga i ever saw. so funny.
Ichigo 100% - harem?? yea buts i like this. (ecchi-full-ish-ness)
Eyeshield21 - REALLY FUNNY. Hiruma's the funniest guy ever.
Katsu - Donno why but its good.
Pastel - Another love love manga.
FullMetal Alchemist - Funny, Great Story, and just crazy all around.
Yotsubato - Funny and I picked it up cuz its author made Azumanga which i also read
Chobits - meh. better than anime version imo.
GetBackers - Anime version is better in this imo.
Bleach - Better than Shaman King which i also read.
Ai Yori Aoshi - just picked it up
Love Hina - i mean come on.
Naruto - My First Anime ever. so i read the manga too.
One Piece - This is my favorite so far.
Now - Picked this one up Thanks to Slade

gah... too much to list ill stop here. -_-*
Old 2004-08-13, 23:15   Link #74
kyok

Silent Otaku, yeah i know its really popular. I read like 11 vols and watched like 8 eps of the anime. Maybe because i stopped reading/watching it, or the fact that I couldn't like the main characters Soichiro and Aya. What caught my eye before in the store was the great artwork on the covers, some how though the story seems lacking to me. Soichiro comes off as a lesser version of Naruto as a character, the only thing that really kept my interest was Maya and her story. I'd like to see how her and Mitsuomi (sp?) resolve things, other then that i liked the supporting characters like Bob and Takayanagi.
Old 2004-08-14, 00:33   Link #75
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
my top 10 or so at the moment

Battle Royale-Crazy shit. I acually felt queasy at moment v.v
Blade of the immortal- The best samurai/swords manga you can read, cept for...
Vagabond-not as nasty as blade, then the characters are more likable. I love it.
GTO- in the later books it starts to just get stupid, but still good
saiyuki-just read Vol1, and it seems pretty good
Arms-kids with weird arms that morph into cool things. errr, hard to explain....
Ranma 1/2- 27 volumes in, and it's still funny as hell

well, thats like, 7, but still...o_o
Old 2004-08-14, 11:41   Link #76
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyok
Silent Otaku, yeah i know its really popular. I read like 11 vols and watched like 8 eps of the anime. Maybe because i stopped reading/watching it, or the fact that I couldn't like the main characters Soichiro and Aya. What caught my eye before in the store was the great artwork on the covers, some how though the story seems lacking to me. Soichiro comes off as a lesser version of Naruto as a character, the only thing that really kept my interest was Maya and her story. I'd like to see how her and Mitsuomi (sp?) resolve things, other then that i liked the supporting characters like Bob and Takayanagi.
me too,,,,, i was dragged in by the art, but then im not really into school fighting things. but i stiill keep the artworks =_=*
Old 2004-08-14, 13:28   Link #77
feeman_4_life

i'm really quite surprised Hajime no Ippo was only mentioned one or two times in this topic.

I strongly recommened it, the series is STILL going, nearly 70 volumes!!! About 36-37 volumes are scanlated at the moment. TOTALLY jammed packed with awesome boxing action, very good quality art, intriguing storyline and good comedy too.

I really recommend Love Hina, I"s, Hikaru no Go (strangely addicting, after watching and reading it, i learned to play the game, and made it to around 5k in kgs too, took like 2 years, but o well, fun game), Rurouni Kenshin, it's very good swordfighting action backed up with a very developed storline, GTO,hm, gto is just funny =D, Naruto, it's very addicting, but later on the series, the point where it is right now, it just seems to drag, Initial D, i really never thought a racing manga can be this damn good.

I noticed Ichigo 100% is recommended quite a bit right now (i'm reading it too), but I dunno, the story doesn't seem that interesting, and the artwork is nothing spectacular either.... it's okay...... definitely uncomparable to the quality of art and mindless comedy in Love Hina and the crazy hilarity in I"s. They both have their quite touching moments for a romance/comedy manga.
Old 2004-08-14, 14:55   Link #78
Silent Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyok
Yeah
This manga has to be to the first where I hate the main character Soichiro, and the whole love rubix cude (Masataka>Aya>Nagi>Maya>Mitsoumi) is very annoying. I ignore that and look at the art work, figthing, and characters (My avatar is the "F" member Tetsuhito ). I also believe that Masataka (I think he got cheated) and Bob should have bigger role, but it seems Oh! Great likes to tell his story in a diffrent way. Whether they will be great, only time will tell
Old 2004-08-17, 01:06   Link #79
[[IronMaidenHikari]]
Saint Maiden

Send a message via MSN to [[IronMaidenHikari]]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
What do you guys think are the top ten best manga right now? I haven't had much of a chance to do manga lately and I'm just now starting to get into it again and I was wanting to find out some of the best ones to check out? I'm right now reading Naruto and Midori no Hibi and trying to get my hands on the Pita Ten manga to read if that gives you any clue to the kind of manga I like. Humorous or adventure anime are good, so is sci-fi. Enchii is not big on my list, but if it's in good taste I'm ok with that.

What would be the top 10 manga you'd suggest?
Right now, I really like Shaman King, Yu Gi Oh, One Piece, er... try Ichigo 100%, oh oh! And ButsuZone, too!!
Old 2004-08-18, 02:05   Link #80
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I am not recommending per se, since I use scanlations to find out which series are worth my moola. Ironically, at the end of the day, I do buy most of the mangas I am reading...

Well in no order of preference, these are the series I am actively pursuing (i.e. I ask whether the latest volume is out when I drop by the comic shop):

1) Ichigo 100%. (its 草莓 100% (in chinese) and translated and published by Taiwanese publishers Boys if you do read chinese. I guess you can call it 'not popular' since no Hong Kong publisher has picked it up yet... heh)
2) 20th Century Boys. (Excellent. But, pales a bit in comparison to the tight storyline of Monster. Then again, alot of manga out there pales in comparison to Monster... )
3) Eyeshield 21. (unique, since no one has ever done a sports manga on American Football, of all things... )
4) Magister Negi Magi. (er, light reading. )
5) Yakitate Japan. (I guess everyone knows about this.)

Merely 'collecting' mode (some originate from waay back before there were scanners and scanlations):
6) Guyver (a cookie to those who remember this series...)
7) Bastard! (I heard volume 23 is out, again, another slow one)
8) Berserk (yeah, another very slow one)
9) Ah! Megami-sama (not stalled, just has no end in sight)

Some of the new stuff that has just appeared. (as in around 5 volumes...)
10) Tsubasa (by CLAMP. Before you cringe, it features a romp through the CLAMP universe...)
11) Deathnote (Plenty of dialouge. Chinese may be my mother tongue but even then it got me lost plenty of times)
Closed Thread

Tags
top ten, manga