AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-09-30, 11:41   Link #901
Arm
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-kun View Post
Yea I agree that soft-subbing them is a bad idea, depending since each file is 5-15mb give or take. I have no idea what fonts you have been looking at twc, but JP fonts are no different than any other kind, other than the fact that they have characters along with the normal roman letters.
He's trolling.
Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 11:49   Link #902
jfs
Aegisub dev

Now, it's not all cases where the latin letters in Japanese fonts really do match the style of the kana and kanji in it. Rather, it's somewhat common that not much work was put into designing the latin letters and that they just don't have the same visual quality as the rest. You can often get better results by picking a well-designed western font.

This is maybe not the best example, but compare these two fonts:

The upper font is DFGSoGei-W7, a Japanese font.
The lower is Briem Akademi Semibold.
They're somewhat similar, but Briem Akademi is more compressed and generally easier on the eyes to read.
This was the font combo used for the first two Mendoi-Conclave Gundam 00 openings (the karaoke).

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's

Last edited by jfs; 2009-09-30 at 11:52. Reason: Moved image to another host
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 11:55   Link #903
LelouchVII
Hagane no Renkinjutsushi

Hm..I get your point. Guess I will have to find always the best visual result. Didn't know that much about fonts though! Thought they were always the same. Thanx jfs.
LelouchVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 13:06   Link #904
Arm
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
Now, it's not all cases where the latin letters in Japanese fonts really do match the style of the kana and kanji in it. Rather, it's somewhat common that not much work was put into designing the latin letters and that they just don't have the same visual quality as the rest. You can often get better results by picking a well-designed western font.

This is maybe not the best example, but compare these two fonts:

The upper font is DFGSoGei-W7, a Japanese font.
The lower is Briem Akademi Semibold.
They're somewhat similar, but Briem Akademi is more compressed and generally easier on the eyes to read.
This was the font combo used for the first two Mendoi-Conclave Gundam 00 openings (the karaoke).
I'd just like to fix the bolded parts.

"Somewhat common" and "often" are quite subjective, but from my interpretation and experience, I'd say it's more on the rare side that a western font matches better than the original.
Old 2009-09-30, 14:37   Link #905
Plorkyeran

The point of using a western font instead isn't to get a better match, it's to get a font that wasn't half-assed by a font designer who felt obligated to throw in latin characters but didn't care about them. Most of the time the best you get is a copy and paste from a western font that happens to be a fairly good match, and in those cases you might as well just use the original font.
Plorkyeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-30, 16:24   Link #906
Arm
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plorkyeran View Post
The point of using a western font instead isn't to get a better match, it's to get a font that wasn't half-assed by a font designer who felt obligated to throw in latin characters but didn't care about them. Most of the time the best you get is a copy and paste from a western font that happens to be a fairly good match, and in those cases you might as well just use the original font.
I guess the key question is what jfs meant by "better results".

I consider better results (or best results) a 100% matching font (ie: the exact font). Perhaps you & jfs pride yourselves on providing the closest match while trying to also find a "good-looking" font (which is always subjective)? For example, as jfs said, Briem Akademi is easier on the eyes, so even if he knows it's not the exact font, he'd choose that.
Old 2009-09-30, 17:37   Link #907
jfs
Aegisub dev

This is just some personal idea I have, but I think the Latin characters in Japanese specialty fonts are all designed for rare use in advertising contexts, and as such it's more important that they catch the eye than being readable. (The above DFGSoGei is an example of this.) For fonts meant for longer running texts, it's more important to have something readable for the cases where some Latin lettering is required, but whether it looks good isn't nearly as important.

Bringing out another sample:

From top to bottom: Times New Roman, Adobe Garamond, MingLiU (Chinese font), MS Mincho (Japanese font)
The Asian fonts are clearly designed more to just "work" and fit into a context of CJK text, being "half-width" text. The letter forms become more pleasing if using full-width text, but then the inter-character spacing becomes atrocious.

Old 2009-10-02, 05:56   Link #908
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm View Post

I consider better results (or best results) a 100% matching font (ie: the exact font). Perhaps you & jfs pride yourselves on providing the closest match while trying to also find a "good-looking" font (which is always subjective)? For example, as jfs said, Briem Akademi is easier on the eyes, so even if he knows it's not the exact font, he'd choose that.
I guess you only sub shows like bakemonogatari where the studio is nice enough to tell you what font they used, then

or are you seriously claiming to be able to use the exact same font as the studio used in a majority of signs

e: also re: the hurf blurf font bloat debate, there are programs that can strip all glyphs you aren't using
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 08:01   Link #909
Arm
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I guess you only sub shows like bakemonogatari where the studio is nice enough to tell you what font they used, then

or are you seriously claiming to be able to use the exact same font as the studio used in a majority of signs

e: also re: the hurf blurf font bloat debate, there are programs that can strip all glyphs you aren't using
I'll quote myself here for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm View Post

I consider better results (or best results) a 100% matching font (ie: the exact font).
Nowhere did I say I get the best results for all my signs.

That said, quite a few studios recycle the same fonts over and over, so it's usually not very hard anyway, just time consuming and tedious.

Last edited by Arm; 2009-10-02 at 08:13.
Old 2009-10-02, 23:12   Link #910
Zergrinch
Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Zergrinch Send a message via Yahoo to Zergrinch
Hah, if font bloat was such an issue, why not have a section on your website saying, these are the fonts we used for softsubs. Click here to download them...

Zergrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 17:22   Link #911
twc
Banned

Because then your users would have to download and install a bunch of worthless fonts nobody likes, cares about, or otherwise wants.
twc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 22:35   Link #912
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Help Fansub Block Font

sorry if this is the wrong section to post this but i thought i post this here anyway

i cant seem to find this "Fansub Block" font in google
can anyone give it to me thanks
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 22:56   Link #913
Mio
TL;DR
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Mio
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fansub+block

first result............?
Mio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 23:25   Link #914
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

nah i already google it the font name is not fansub block on that link
Old 2009-11-17, 00:16   Link #915
D404
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
nah i already google it the font name is not fansub block on that link
http://217.199.228.76/video/Devochka...ansubBlock.ttf

2 seconds in google.
D404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 06:05   Link #916
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D404 View Post
thanks google results in our country didnt give me that
Old 2009-11-18, 03:53   Link #917
cjlmaster

Talking plz. help me!!!..^^

hi! everyone!
a few days ago, i knew about ass.
before that time. i just know smi. lrc..etc.
so after seeing ass. i'm very surprised.
i really tried to get information about ass.
but here(in korea) i can't find information about ass.
plz. tell me about ass.

1. who makes ass format?
2. can i get sample ass file?
3. i heard that there are ass2,3,4... really?
4. i got some ass files. but "MPC" can't supprt "realtime rendering" (like "move")
what's the reason?

i'm sorry. as you know. i'm poor at english.
i hope you can understand my question.
have a nice day!
cjlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 05:11   Link #918
jfs
Aegisub dev

You can use Aegisub to make ASS subtitles.

Actually there is nobody who "controls" the format, it was created by anime fansubbers a long time ago, originally as the SSA (SubStation Alpha) format and since then it has been extended many times by many different people. In practice, nobody uses the older SSA formats any longer.

MPC (and VSFilter) by default don't display animations because they have an option enabled, that makes drawing the subtitles use less CPU but makes animations not work. The option is "prebuffering", in MPC you must set "Number of subpictures to buffer ahead" to 0.

Old 2009-11-25, 04:41   Link #919
Sub-zero 4ever

so regarding mpeg4 issues. Since the times MPEG4-part 2 was introduced the official container was supposed to be .mp4 right? and yet (for some reason) people kept encoding asp videos in the avi container (which is known to have to have the b-frames lag).

So which encoder was used to produce the mpeg4 asp streams that wasnt specified to produce avi compliant files but rather .mp4 files? (aka didnt need patchs needed for asp-in-avi files)
Sub-zero 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 06:25   Link #920
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

You can encode native ASP with xvid_encraw, or you can encode an AVI as usual and then unpack the bitstream by muxing it to mkv with mkvmerge using the --engage native_mpeg4 flag.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote