AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-11-13, 10:24   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Almost done with the second playthrough... at first I was annoyed that I was going to have to repeat the storyline to get to lvl 50. But within seconds of leaving Fyrestone, it became clear it wasn't "just the same thing again". The mobs are nasty little devils and not the same with more HP (more, bigger, meaner, smarter). And we've found lots of little quests we missed the first time through. When you plow through a big bug and it vaporizes your car .... you get a bit more respect for going around them.

Main complaint: the weapon generator for drops and vending has NOT seemed to scale up with our levels. Most of the stuff we're finding or seeing at the machines is utter crap for our level. I'm still using the same stuff I got at lvl 35 for the most part. The Hyperion and Atlas "wonders" have been meh. My son also discovered there's a $$$ cap.

My main is a siren speccd Elemental/Controller but she carries gear for both the Plaguebringer and Firefly mods depending on the predicted bad guys. Lately, because of the weapons scaling problem... I've been using a particular sniper rifle (x4 fire) as a "close combat revolver" with great effect coupled with firefly mod and incendiary artifact. Lots of screaming (how do they scream long after all the relevant parts are incinerated? ).
Old 2009-11-13, 14:27   Link #22
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Yeah, the second playthrough is way more fun. The vendors may not have upped the ante, but the drops around the place have definitely gotten better. I never really relied on vendors in the first place anyway. I noticed that in New Haven alone, there's 4 or 5 weapon boxes scattered within it. So everytime I log in, I just quickly run through them, and it's a great way to find quality weapons/orange items now and then.

I played the soldier my first time around, and the turret is flat out ridiculous. I pretty much maxed out every offensive option for it, including a level 5 shock elemental, which means it kills stuff damn well quicker than me or any of my teammates usually can. I usually charge in, drop it, and come back later to find a room of corpses and loot. =)

What kind of neat weapons have you found yet? Seems the game keeps feeding me awesome repeaters and revolvers. My favorite being an orange Firehawk repeater with 117 dmg and x4 Fire elemental. I also have an orange revolver with 404 dmg and x4 explosive elemental, scoped too. Now if I can only get some shotguns my way...

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 12:46   Link #23
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I still have no idea what you guys are talking about here and other forums that weapons are not scaled up with vendors etc. I'm lvl48 with my friend still, and the vendors sell lvl43-48 items, and mobs always drop lvl37-43 stuff. ( This is at New Haven vendors ).

I'd like to point out that there is no $$$ cap. It's also obvious that the '' cap '' is 9.999.999 since it only shows slots for 7 digits at total. But that isn't the cap. You can keep selling stuff and then when you buy something, it'll still show 9.999.999 after that if you had sold something before..

That reminds me that I discovered some weird bug. Well actually, I don't know how it happened but I seem to have 5 weapon slots now. It can only show 4 slots yes, but once I pick up any weapon from the ground for the first time after I've logged in ( It resets to 4 equipped if i log out ), it doesn't go into my inventory. Instead, it is equipped as fifth weapon and can be accessed with mouse wheel ( 1-9 numbers won't change to the fifth weapon ).

About New Haven btw, there's actually 8 boxes. Five on the rooftops, one just outside of the city and 2 in a Secret Basement. It's good way to farm boxes by just logging out and logging back in.. Though I do think they should fix it so that once you loot a box, it's looted.. It shouldn't respawn with new weaponry.

And about '' neat '' weapons .. We seem to only get sniper rifles and shotguns with my friend.. I wonder why is that :/. No good SMG's or C.Rifles has come across. We've tried to switch to using those as the game is way too easy with sniper rifle/revolver combo.. couple shots and any mob is dead.

Some of my favourite overpowered weapons below ;
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=5256971.jpg - Sniper Rifle ( Also note that even though it's '' only '' 500 damage, each bullet triggers the flame effect, and with the damage done over time the damage exceeds any good sniper rifle that I've come across so far ).
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=5256988.jpg - Rocket Launcher
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=5257001.jpg - Shotgun
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=5257005.jpg - Revolver
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=5257022.jpg - Revolver

( For some reason the pics won't show up with IMG tags )

I mainly use those as above when I want to kill something fast, with the fifth weapon due the bug being sometimes different, depends what fits the situation. Like I said before, I don't have any good SMG's or C.Rifles yet and can't seem to get them either.

Also I'm using the revolver and SG because even though their level is that low, there just isn't any better weapons at level 40+. I've seen SG's with 12x140 damage even, but when the fire rate is like 0.8, accuracy over 50 and no scope... No thanks.

Getting pretty bored now though, I wonder if we're able to finish the game on the second playthrough.. If not, I guess we'll just wait for the Zombie island whatsoever expansion pack at the end of the year.
Old 2009-11-14, 14:12   Link #24
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I bought Borderlands on Steam a few days ago. And it does live up to the hype; really feels like Diablo + FPS, very addictive. I'm currently maining a controller/assassin siren at lvl 20. Really, really awesome game.
Old 2009-11-14, 14:36   Link #25
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
And why on earth anyone would want to play a game like this in 3rd person view ? ...
because if you play this in 3rd person its like a closed version of wow, which is what many rpg players are currently familiar with.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 15:57   Link #26
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Almost done with the second playthrough... at first I was annoyed that I was going to have to repeat the storyline to get to lvl 50. But within seconds of leaving Fyrestone, it became clear it wasn't "just the same thing again". The mobs are nasty little devils and not the same with more HP (more, bigger, meaner, smarter). And we've found lots of little quests we missed the first time through. When you plow through a big bug and it vaporizes your car .... you get a bit more respect for going around them.

Main complaint: the weapon generator for drops and vending has NOT seemed to scale up with our levels. Most of the stuff we're finding or seeing at the machines is utter crap for our level. I'm still using the same stuff I got at lvl 35 for the most part. The Hyperion and Atlas "wonders" have been meh. My son also discovered there's a $$$ cap.

My main is a siren speccd Elemental/Controller but she carries gear for both the Plaguebringer and Firefly mods depending on the predicted bad guys. Lately, because of the weapons scaling problem... I've been using a particular sniper rifle (x4 fire) as a "close combat revolver" with great effect coupled with firefly mod and incendiary artifact. Lots of screaming (how do they scream long after all the relevant parts are incinerated? ).
2nd Playthrough is very simple. On PS3 I already have 3 characters that are all lvl 50 and finished 2nd playthrough. Once you finish 2nd playthrough every monster in the whole game become level 49/50/51. Thats when it starts to get annoying.

Also the money does say it caps at 9999999. But in reality it does go past so if you keep selling items and try buying items you'll see that the meter doesn't move at all proving there isn't a cap but they just don't show it.

My weapons list when I was like level 42, I still was using a lvl 18 sniper rifle on my siren. Personally I don't like the firefly mod or the plague mod. I personally use the Mercenary mod for the fact that I love spamming smg and usually I'm running around with a Roland that has support gunner mod which is usually my 2nd controller just sitting there. Or I have quite a few friends on it. I myself haven't really gone down the controller mod because I found that during the end of 2nd playthrough that controller was not as effective. But if you do play on the PS3 which I don't know if you do or not seeing as I didn't read everything from page one but skimmed through. I could give you a few weapons that I held onto on my siren. I have quite a few x4 fire and x4 corrosive since thats basically all you'll use once you start old haven. I also got a x4 shock for the fact that the guardians will own you unless you can take out their shields.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 17:11   Link #27
Dist

^You have three characters, but none of them is Hunter ?

Gotta love the skill that bypasses shields when you shoot monsters with 100% probability when the skill is maxed. One shot from revolver to the guardians and they're dead . ( The normal ones.. Tougher ones take 3 shots or so )

And yea right.. So you're saying you completed the game twice with each characther in such a short time, making playthroughs total of 6 times ?
Old 2009-11-15, 17:52   Link #28
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
And yea right.. So you're saying you completed the game twice with each characther in such a short time, making playthroughs total of 6 times ?
Hell, if I had the time, I probably would too. The game couldn't be any more addictive it if fed heroin straight to your veins.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 21:45   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
That reminds me that I discovered some weird bug. Well actually, I don't know how it happened but I seem to have 5 weapon slots now. It can only show 4 slots yes, but once I pick up any weapon from the ground for the first time after I've logged in ( It resets to 4 equipped if i log out ), it doesn't go into my inventory. Instead, it is equipped as fifth weapon and can be accessed with mouse wheel ( 1-9 numbers won't change to the fifth weapon ).
Yeah, I noticed the $$$ "not a cap" after posting that .... it may be the same issue with the weapons - it may give you a fifth slot in the mechanics but the display isn't designed to display it.

Around lvl 49... we did start getting some "lvl late 40" weapons... but they're almost all white/green. Basically my early-40 blues/purples still outgun what is being offered. We're curious to see if we start seeing some oranges *after* we finish the second playthrough.

I'm glad to hear the mobs all cap out after second playthrough.. that makes this somewhat fun as a mega-cousin of L4D to muck about with periodically until the "island" expansion.

There was a large update today for Steam users... they appear to have addressed all the bugs I've encountered plus the skill point vaporizing others were experiencing. Don't know if they addressed the "must fark around with network.ini" silliness or not - our systems play well now with port adjustments. After a few hours though, we tend to stop and kill/restart the application -- I'm guessing there's some tiny memory leak that degrades play because that clears it up.
Old 2009-11-26, 23:51   Link #30
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

anyone else getting lag spikes out of no where while playing on Any settings?
Old 2009-12-01, 16:20   Link #31
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Quote:
^You have three characters, but none of them is Hunter ?

Gotta love the skill that bypasses shields when you shoot monsters with 100% probability when the skill is maxed. One shot from revolver to the guardians and they're dead . ( The normal ones.. Tougher ones take 3 shots or so )

After the first second playthrough you'll notice how easy it really is to finish the story. You can pretty much skip most of the side quests and do all the main ones and still be around the correct level to do everything else. Given that you could have 1 or 2 more people in it for you. For my Roland I went to 2nd playthrough at like level 31 and in like 2 hours or so in 2nd playthrough . I was about level 42 by the time I left Fyrestone area. Its not as hard as you think once you get the hang of how 2nd playthrough is. All I really had to do was keep the Eridian Thunder Storm so everytime I died it would almost instantly give me my 2nd wind because firing it all at once owned anyone pretty much.
Old 2009-12-01, 16:30   Link #32
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Ive been playing this on and off for a while now and is it just me or does anyone else get really excited everytime you find a red weapon crate.

Have yet to play online co-op tho =/

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 03:32   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah... which makes you all the more pissed when the red crate drops crapola weapons

We've set the game aside for a bit so as not to burn out - we have some friends who are just getting it. Figure it'll be a big playlist item over the holidays.
Old 2009-12-06, 18:46   Link #34
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

I've been more into MW2 than anything else, thats the only reason I haven't been playing this. But the new zombie island add on was just released so I might just get that and head back to borderlands for a week or two and fiddle with that add on.
Old 2009-12-10, 09:32   Link #35
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Been playing this recently as well with my two cousins over LAN at their place. It's great fun and quite easy. Only cash penalty for death and respeccing my skill points is so easy and cheap.

There's some annoying bugs like how weapon attributes display are only capped to 4 lines of text when the item can have more than that and the FOV is very small (90 degree). But it's still good fun especially with my frens.

Have a controller siren that's lvl 45 and a Berzerker in his mid 20s. Love the berzerker crazy charge into enemy's midst and laying the smack down with each uppercut hitting over 1.5k dmg. Only problem is his annoying psycho warcries that last throughout the Frenzy which i activate in every fight.
Old 2009-12-10, 19:44   Link #36
Dist

FOV can be changed. The text thing can also be changed. In fact, you can change pretty much anything, such as your inventory space or how many guns can be equipped at once.

All this and more at the config files. Go search around Gearbox Forums for the text cap fix and more.
Old 2009-12-11, 09:57   Link #37
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
FOV can be changed. The text thing can also be changed. In fact, you can change pretty much anything, such as your inventory space or how many guns can be equipped at once.

All this and more at the config files. Go search around Gearbox Forums for the text cap fix and more.
Yep, i tinker with weapon display limit, but i think there's weapon with more than 5 lines of attributes so, hopefully Gearbox can do something about it. Other than that, i try not to cheat on other stuff that you mentioned.

Havent had the time to play with FOV but i can live with it. Also, if i m not wrong, the changes doesn't migrate over to mutliplayer games unless you're the host.
Old 2009-12-11, 11:21   Link #38
Midnight Commander

This game looks like fun; I have to go pick it up - but don't know if I should get it for pc or xbox. I know the pc version of dragon age origins is supposed to be the best; but not sure about this game..
Midnight Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-11, 19:34   Link #39
Dist

Nah you can use the changes even if you're not the host. But if you're the host, then the changes are applied to all players who joined your game and it might ruin their configurations.

Captain Commando.. This is FPS with RPG Elements, not a RPG like Dragon Age. Why the hell would anyone want to play FPS game on a console unless they had no choice ?
Old 2009-12-11, 21:13   Link #40
Midnight Commander

Quote:
Captain Commando.. This is FPS with RPG Elements, not a RPG like Dragon Age. Why the hell would anyone want to play FPS game on a console unless they had no choice ?
There are people who actually prefer console for fps believe it or not; just like there are people who prefer playing world of warcraft by clicking icons instead of using hotkeys, and people who prefer analog to joystick for playing street fighter games.
Midnight Commander is offline   Reply With Quote