AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-03-10, 06:23   Link #3241
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
One explaination I can make is the Awai power is weaken. Just like how at one point Koromo's power [No tempai zone] seems to be disabled, allowing Kana and Yumi to win.
actually Koromo didn't become weak. Kana and Yumi become stronger through their bonds. Its koromo being to focused on Saki that she didn't notice those two become stronger. Koromo is only facing one monster while Awai is the receiving end of 2 monster then their is the monkey that butts in totally crushing her.

I still can't accept Shizu sudden changes. Its kinda hard to swallow. Specially her demure and character while playing. Its like a totally different person from the one struggling to win 2nd place in their last match. Maybe because their battle with senriyama has a huge difference in points and this battle is more on their favor with the difference in points aren't that big but really. Shizu seems different from previews self (maybe its because the dress is different that she looks more decent and more cute (what the heck did I say!) I like her more while in uniform ) even if I like her more while in uniform. Its just still hard to accept the things are. Maybe the translation will clarify wit maybe not.

The thing that is hard for me to accept is this IB of Shizu works different from kamijou where it works on his right hand and his enemy can still pretty much outright kill him if he is not careful and its one on one match which make it more dangerous. This IB of Shizu maybe might work on certain condition and it only shines now because the table is full of monster but the way it conventionally crush Awai and Ryuuka and even tried to crush S&M combo of Himeko. Its just hard to accept because her IB doesn't show skills at all which is important for me to accept the character. Saki and Koromo had those mad hax skills outside their ability. They can be clearly classified as monsters with their table control and lets not talk about Teru. But my point is. IB Shizu doesn't outright reflect a majhon skills like ringshan, haitei, kan ura dora, dora hoarding......

wait I accept Toki's future sight which is not a mahjong skills but why can't I accept Shizu's IB ability?

Well I will just wait for the chapter. Its just too fast development for Shizu that's all for now.

OH wait. Toki has shown mad skills too that's why I accept her future sight but not Shizu.
Old 2013-03-10, 06:27   Link #3242
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Is this true? Did Shizu break Awai's 5-6 shanten?

I don't have the luxury of time to count but, I dearly hoped this isn't true. Shizu just developing her ability nullification because this is the first time she encounters active abilities like Koromo's haitei and Awai's double riichii is somewhat plausible. It is a bit hard to swallow but that can be blamed to the storytelling.
Not totally broken I think, it's like Marina2 said, she's weakened but that's more than enough to beat her. Awai was just 1 tile away from tenpai (-1), and Ryuuka was 4 tiles away (+1) ... however it's not only that, Ryuuka's hand is overall good now, unlike before where their hands were so crappy they could hardly call any single tile, now she can easily get a quick mangan with an opened toitoi (still needs a certain amount of luck though) if she feels like it.
Using Kuro as a barometer, it would be kuro losing the control of 1 or 2 dora which will go to another person's hand instead.

... oh I just realized ... what would happen if Awai were to face kuro in a match?
Old 2013-03-10, 14:18   Link #3243
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Its just hard to accept because her IB doesn't show skills at all which is important for me to accept the character. Saki and Koromo had those mad hax skills outside their ability. They can be clearly classified as monsters with their table control and lets not talk about Teru. But my point is. IB Shizu doesn't outright reflect a majhon skills like ringshan, haitei, kan ura dora, dora hoarding......
If you really look at it, Shizu's skill is not the skill that help her win. She still have to play like normal person to finish the hand and that take "skill".

One interesting thing: If my memory is correct, Shizu's match is the first match that Saki watch. Normally, Saki will not look at match record or watch any match on TV. She will only know about her enemy playstyle when she plays with them.
Old 2013-03-10, 14:39   Link #3244
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Indeed, if anything Shizu's skill is something that brings everyone to a level playing field without the use of hacks. And it's in there that she shows that she's better than all the monsters who become overly reliant on their superpowers without taking time to refine their basic mahjong skills.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 16:37   Link #3245
cedec0

For fun, I read a Saki thread (http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/81234456) which was started just when spoilers for chapter 20 started coming out. It's pretty entertaining.

Below are some of the most memorable quotes from the thread:

Quote:
If Achiga finishes first. I swear, I will punch an IPS baby.
Quote:
Suck it up guys. Achiga will win.

The whole point of Achiga-hen is so that Ritz wouldn't need to bother giving flashback and character development to the Side-A teams that reaches the finals. Which in this case, is Achiga. (Shiraitodai is a special case so it's likely that their members will get covered in depth in the main manga.)

Now the thing to get pissed about is whether Achiga will finish first or not. Because Shiraitodai being 2nd is bullshit of the highest degree.
Quote:
>Awai scared of Shizu
What the fuck, Ritz. This si just wrong.
Quote:
The mountain eyes are cool and all but god damn this shit. I know overpowered characters and protagonists aren't exactly rare and all in Saki but usually they are passionate mahjong players with a lot of truama, training or both. Shizu picked the game back up a few months ago because she can't operate a telephone or write a letter and suddenly she's better than one of the best in the game.
Quote:
Awai what are you doing? Where is my motherfucking Awai everyone's scared of?
Quote:
I still believe in Ryuuka, even when all you faggots give up all hopes.
Ryuuka is Toki's boyfriend for a reason.
Go Ryuuka!
Quote:
Seriously, the fuck?
Fuck off and die, Ritz.
Fuck you SHIZU

FUCK YOU
Is monkey jumping through a ring of fire now?
Quote:
Monkey Counterattack!!!!
we are doomed...
Quote:
What round is this when Shizu summoned the monkey circle of bulshittery?
Quote:
Wait fuck for real? So they're gonna finish 1st?
Quote:
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

RIIIIIIITTTTZZZZ

I KNOW I CAN FUCKING KILL

FUCCKKKK
Quote:
FU***** i'm so piss off omfg.
WHY RITZ? WHYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
Quote:
I don't want to live in this world anymore.
Quote:
Awai. If you're gonna get pissed off and cause a monster player calamity in real life (Saki's earthquake, Koromo's blackout etc.). Then you gotta do it now and make a fucking reflector fall on Shizu.
Quote:
Official Shiraitodai Power Rankings:

Teru > Takami > Sumire > Seiko > Bag of chips > Awai
Quote:
Did I mention I hate apes?
Quote:
Fuck this so hard. Monkey went from full pleb to full out monster in less than one day.
Quote:
I don't understand how you people can be so mad at something that was obviously going to happen since chapter one.
Quote:
Would you like Achiga more if the girls were gayer? It seemed like they were always up against a gayer school and that's why everyone hates them so much.
Quote:
The hell? Shizu can fuck with the uradora now too? Or is she just negating Awai's ability?
Quote:
I AM SO HAPPY
WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE
FUCK YES
Quote:
Her power is whatever Ritz wants it to be.

It's Shizu, I don't have to explain shit.
Quote:
RIP best Saki thread ever.
cedec0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 17:14   Link #3246
teja208
Critical fanboy

I'd expect no less. It's not like everybody is pleased with the outcome, and naturally leads to the need to vent it all out.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 18:51   Link #3247
aly_angelflight

From what I can tell, Shizu is the "Master of the Deep Mountain", and her ability should really only affects abilities with wall gimmicks. Kuro's ability isn't a wall gimmick, since it doesn't actually affect where the dora will be beyond the fact that Kuro will be the only who can draw them. Awai's ability to double-riichi, kan, win at the corner, and get the uradora for that kan, however, is definitely a wall gimmick, as it requires that the tiles be at certain locations in the wall.

On another note, Yuuki gave Kirame a box of tacos off-screen, which you can see Kirame offering to her teammates in the post-match scene with Shindouji.
aly_angelflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 19:07   Link #3248
night_sentinel

@Cedec0
Well, they have a good basis this time for the rage. But, still seeing this, I'm so glad that I slept through the leaking stage. Its not worth losing sleep over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly_angelflight View Post
From what I can tell, Shizu is the "Master of the Deep Mountain", and her ability should really only affects abilities with wall gimmicks. Kuro's ability isn't a wall gimmick, since it doesn't actually affect where the dora will be beyond the fact that Kuro will be the only who can draw them. Awai's ability to double-riichi, kan, win at the corner, and get the uradora for that kan, however, is definitely a wall gimmick, as it requires that the tiles be at certain locations in the wall.:
I don't have a problem with this. Its when Shizu was also able to break 5-6 shanten which is not really a wall gimmick that things become very very confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Not totally broken I think, it's like Marina2 said, she's weakened but that's more than enough to beat her. Awai was just 1 tile away from tenpai (-1), and Ryuuka was 4 tiles away (+1) ... however it's not only that, Ryuuka's hand is overall good now, unlike before where their hands were so crappy they could hardly call any single tile, now she can easily get a quick mangan with an opened toitoi (still needs a certain amount of luck though) if she feels like it.
Using Kuro as a barometer, it would be kuro losing the control of 1 or 2 dora which will go to another person's hand instead.

... oh I just realized ... what would happen if Awai were to face kuro in a match?
I think this post was supposed to reassure me and thanks in advance desrtsku. But, it just reminded me about a simple way that they could have shown or hinted Shizu's power. All those times, Shizu played with Kuro .... sigh. Now, the omission of it is even more glaring.

Oh well, I'll just accept that Shizu spontaneously got a new nerfing power. Trying to connect her power to storyline continuity is giving me a headache. And it does give us a good setup for the final match as Marina2 said.

I have no idea what will happen if Awai will face Kuro. One of the abilities should be able to cancel each other out. On the other hand, even if all the dora still goes to Kuro, Awai still has a double riichi yaku.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 19:11   Link #3249
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
@Cedec0
Well, they have a good basis this time for the rage. But, still seeing this, I'm so glad that I slept through the leaking stage. Its not worth losing sleep over.

I don't have a problem with this. Its when Shizu was also able to break 5-6 shanten which is not really a wall gimmick that things become very very confusing.

Err... Well the players have to get their initial tiles from somewhere, like, the wall :-P
Old 2013-03-10, 19:19   Link #3250
night_sentinel

But, the dora are also tiles that can be gotten from the wall? Wait. Since Shizu was able to affect ura dora, why hasn't she been able to slightly weaken Kuro's control of her doras before? This just got more confusing.

Let's not talk about this anymore. I have a feeling further analysis will poke more holes in this.

When is the main manga going get a new chapter anyway?
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 19:28   Link #3251
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly_angelflight View Post
From what I can tell, Shizu is the "Master of the Deep Mountain", and her ability should really only affects abilities with wall gimmicks. Kuro's ability isn't a wall gimmick, since it doesn't actually affect where the dora will be beyond the fact that Kuro will be the only who can draw them. Awai's ability to double-riichi, kan, win at the corner, and get the uradora for that kan, however, is definitely a wall gimmick, as it requires that the tiles be at certain locations in the wall.
If that's the case why does her ability also affects Toki-chan and Himeko's key.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 19:31   Link #3252
Proto

To be truthful, an ability that affects the wall is an ability that will affect every other ability in the series sans Toki's (since she would be able to see the coming tiles anyway) and Ryuuka's (she would still be able to see the winning sequence of tiles if she was able to win, which she wasn't in that particular round).
Old 2013-03-10, 23:22   Link #3253
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedec0 View Post
For fun, I read a Saki thread (http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/81234456) which was started just when spoilers for chapter 20 started coming out. It's pretty entertaining.

Below are some of the most memorable quotes from the thread:
lol their tears are delicious.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 01:03   Link #3254
tsunade666

its funny reading anons comment about the fight.
Old 2013-03-11, 02:24   Link #3255
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

It's funny at first but now it's just hurt to look at.

Oh and I guess the RAW isn't coming up anytime soon?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 06:00   Link #3256
morli

The score so far...

You see, there is exactly 11 Round in the second hanchan. Surprisingly, Shizu's prediction is spot on!

Spoiler for Shizu is fortune teller??:

Is that her power too?!

Last edited by morli; 2013-03-11 at 08:26.
morli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 06:54   Link #3257
fa_chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by morli View Post

Spoiler for Shizu is fortune teller??:

Is that her power too?!
i believe what shizu wanna says here is that they will definitely win the semifinal, thus they still have final round that means 5player times 2 games= 10 more games plus her own last semifinal game
fa_chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 11:02   Link #3258
The Green One

I'd agree that it's just her showing that she's resolved to win and isn't even considering failing an option.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 11:19   Link #3259
Proto

11 rounds != 11 games. What she meant with 11 games is that they'd get to play the 10 games in the finals +1 remaining game in the semifinals
Old 2013-03-11, 12:08   Link #3260
orangejuicetang

Yeah, I also agree with the idea that 11 games meant the one remaining game and then the ten games in the final, although in theory if somebody gets taken below zero points, the finals might not go 10 games. Although that's pretty unlikely.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri